Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Events / Interviews

Comments

• Will listen to these last two tonight. 
    GNTLGNT
  • edited September 2022

Especially for fans of Stephen King, today's episode first covers two pitch critiques sent in by listeners. Then, I chat with Canadian author Bev Vincent about the books he's written on King and his works, meeting and working with King, being approached by a publisher to work on a book, how memorable characters connect us with stories, the "why now" in publishing, nonfiction vs. fiction writing, what catapulted Bev into his career, the benefits of being a member in writing organizations, what he's working on now, music while writing and revising, and advice for writers.

Bev's newest book, THE STEPHEN KING ULTIMATE COMPANION: A COMPLETE EXPLORATION OF HIS WORK, LIFE, AND INFLUENCES, launched on Sep 13/22.

GNTLGNTLou_SytsmaHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • @BevVincent - listening to all these interviews in prep for our upcoming session.

Trying my best to come up with an agenda that minimizes the amount of material you have to regurgitate. :)

Won't be easy but I'll do my best.
    Hedda GablerBevVincentFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Great interview!

Back to updating my agenda...
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited September 2022
    Great interview!

Back to updating my agenda...
    I can imagine how hard that is. Giving well-worn information to entrance level readers and satisfying us long-in-the-tooth constant readers looking for something new. 

Lou_SytsmaFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I did one this morning where the interviewer knew I had answered a particular question elsewhere, but he wanted to be able to include it in his article.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirLou_SytsmaGNTLGNTKurben
  • Especially for fans of Stephen King, today's episode first covers two pitch critiques sent in by listeners. Then, I chat with Canadian author Bev Vincent about the books he's written on King and his works, meeting and working with King, being approached by a publisher to work on a book, how memorable characters connect us with stories, the "why now" in publishing, nonfiction vs. fiction writing, what catapulted Bev into his career, the benefits of being a member in writing organizations, what he's working on now, music while writing and revising, and advice for writers.

Bev's newest book, THE STEPHEN KING ULTIMATE COMPANION: A COMPLETE EXPLORATION OF HIS WORK, LIFE, AND INFLUENCES, launched on Sep 13/22.

Okey doke. Right off the bat. 

Chemistry activation barrier. — I. Feel. Seen. 

Lots of fresh stuff here and even information we know was repackaged — so to speak — to feel different. So really nice discussion.  

Your evening with the kings choked me up. I can imagine how special and meaningful that was for you. 

As you build your own brand, remember that feeling— and those pinch yourself moments — pass those feelings onto others. 

I liked your tips. I wish you had more to share. 

And the podcast is one i will put on my list to check out. I really liked how it opened— with pitches and critiques.  If you are reading this Ms. Foxx, think about promoting legitimate editors who will look something over for a fee of course with good, strong suggestions and criticisms. While also telling you what you got right. 

I’d love an editor to tear my short story (yes, one) apart. Red ink it up!

BevVincentKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Bev, you mentioned Evelyn Waugh’s, The Man Who Loved Dickens.  So, I hunted that down on youtube. What a great little story. 

If anyone cares to listen to it, it is short and you have many reader choices.  Pick the reader who is pleasing to the ear because as we know, not all readers are good.
    BevVincentKurbenLou_SytsmaFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited September 2022

The Writers Episode 59 - Bev Vincent

Hedda GablerLou_SytsmaFlakeNoirGNTLGNT

• The Writers Episode 59 - Bev Vincent

Saving this for later!
    Lou_SytsmaFlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNT
  • Had a lot of with this one!

Man - I ummed a lot.  :/

Sorry 'bout that.
    FlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNTKurben
  • Had a lot of with this one!

Man - I ummed a lot.  :/

Sorry 'bout that.
    Didn’t even notice. I thought it was a comfortable, friendly interview with good information.  Enjoyed it.

lou, what was that beautiful library used behind you?
    Lou_SytsmaFlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNT

• lou, what was that beautiful library used behind you?
    It's from here - https://school-edu.net/archives/21942/pexels-ivo-rainha-1290141

Not sure where the library is - some Eastern college/university it seems.

It is gorgeous.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Two Old Farts Talk Sci-Fi - Part 2 (1980-1999) of a three-part dive into Stephen King: A Complete Exploration of His Work, Life, and Influences
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited October 2022
    The One Old Fart and One Vintage Fart (lovingly dubbed that by me because of a previous Bev interview) are doing a nice job.  I did have a “wait a minute” moment when they made a comment about The Losers Club getting an interview with King that sounded just a bit put downy. If they can get an interview, anyone can type of insinuation. 

First, The Losers Club comes to the table prepared, professional and smart. They are far superior to The Kingcast which everyone seems to think are top tier. Listen to both and the answer is clear who runs a more informative podcast .

The Kingcast guys I’m sure are nice people — go to them for the yukkety yuks.  Once in a while, they have a guest or topic worth my time. 

Go to The Losers Club for real discussion and conversation and info.  With this team of researchers, I get skilled interactions on topics I didn’t know i would enjoy. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • Author Interview: Bev Vincent Discusses Stephen King's Work, Life, & Influences
    Michael Cavacini

GNTLGNTKurbenLou_SytsmaFlakeNoir
  • Author Interview: Bev Vincent Discusses Stephen King's Work, Life, & Influences
    Michael Cavacini

This was a really full grab bag of all sorts of information. I really like these longer interviews because everyone settles in comfortably and new details come out in unexpected places. 

Nicely done. 
    GNTLGNTBevVincentLou_SytsmaKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Two Old Farts Talk Sci-Fi -Part 3 (2000-2022) of a three-part dive into Stephen King: A Complete Exploration of His Work, Life, and Influences
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • Two Old Farts Talk Sci-Fi -Part 3 (2000-2022) of a three-part dive into Stephen King: A Complete Exploration of His Work, Life, and Influences
    Nice wrap up. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Read Local: Stephen King Ultimate Companion book signing with Author Bev Vincent at Village Books

On the evening of Tuesday, October 18, 2022, local author Bev Vincent celebrated the launch of his book, Stephen King: A Complete Exploration of His Work, Life, and Influences, at Village Books in The Woodlands.

View photos from the event on the Hello Woodlands Facebook page or on Instagram

Vincent’s new Stephen King Ultimate Companion book is an expansion of the The Stephen King Illustrated Companion. Publisher becker&mayer! shared that, “readers will explore the evolution and influences of Stephen King’s body of work over his nearly 50-year career, and discover how the themes of his writing reflect the changing times and events within his life. Featuring archival photos and documents from King’s personal collection, this chronological history delves into the stories behind how his novels, novellas, short stories, and adaptations came to be.”

The timing of Vincent’s newest book celebrated Stephen King’s 75th birthday on September 21, 2022. Originally scheduled on the King of Horror’s birthday, the book launch was held on Tuesday, October 18 at Village Books in The Woodlands featured an Author Talk and Q & A followed by Bev Vincent signing books for attendees. During the Author Talk, Vincent shared his “Stephen King origin story” and how it all began when he picked up a copy of ‘Salem’s Lot at a used bookstore in 1979. Vincent shared his favorite books, memories, and experiences throughout the years as a Stephen King fan as well as his relationship with King himself, who Vincent described as a very generous man and supporter of upcoming authors.

Stephen King expert Bev Vincent is the author of The Dark Tower Companion, The Road to the Dark Tower, the Bram Stoker Award nominated companion to Stephen King’s Dark Tower series, and The Stephen King Illustrated Companion, which was nominated for a 2010 Edgar® Award and a 2009 Bram Stoker Award. In 2018, he co-edited the anthology Flight or Fright with Stephen King. Learn more about Bev Vincent and his works at www.bevvincent.com.

Village Books, the community-focused independent bookstore in The Woodlands, is owned by Teresa Kenney and hosts book signings, a monthly book club, writing classes, and special events. Stop by the store to purchase Bev Vincent’s new book, Stephen King: A Complete Exploration of His Work, Life, and Influences, and learn more about Village Books and upcoming events at MyVillageBooks.com.

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • There's a 4-page interview with me by Marco Consoli in today's issue of Il Venerdì di Repubblica” (the weekly supplement to leading Italian newspaper La Repubblica). 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerLou_Sytsma
  • Are you scheduled to be interviewed on Brian Keene’s youtube? 
    GNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • Are you scheduled to be interviewed on Brian Keene’s youtube? 
    He hasn't asked.
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir