Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

October 2023 Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• Kurbens Horror movie list!

1. Beneath Us All (2023) 2,5/5 FTV

2. The Flood (2023) 3,5/5  FTV

3. Island Escape (2023) 2/5 FTV

4. Vampires vs The Bronx (2020) 4/5 FTV

5. V For Vengeance (2022) 4/5 FTV This was fun. A vampire movie with three sisters in leads. Two of them are vampires but when they learn their younger human sister is threatened by vampires the family bonds stay strong. They became vampire hunters (good vampires in their terminology). Enjoyed this. Not really any jump scares or so but still.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirfushingfeef

5. V For Vengeance (2022) 4/5 FTV

6. Love and monsters (2020) 2,5/5 A bit too silly for me. A postapocalyptic tale where genetic mutations take over and humans hide in subways and bunkers and such. Out "hero" is a young naive lovesick man of 24 who suddenly gets contact with his sweetheart from 7 years ago and alone wanders among monsters to find her. A long marsch through monsters and dastardly humans to find her. Very predictable even if the mutated animals were well done.

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2023
    8. Reptile* —2023 — Netflix

“Following the brutal murder of a young real estate agent, a hardened detective attempts to uncover the truth in a case where nothing is as it seems, and, by doing so, dismantles the illusions in his own life.”

well, this wasn’t exactly horror but very suspenseful.  Benicio Del Toro, Alicia Silverstone, Justin Timberlake —I enjoyed Benicio very much in this.  I had this figured out pretty quick, except for one person. I was positive one person was involved.   And they weren’t. The vibe from this character reminded me of another character from a 1990 movie. I can’t even say the old movie because it could spoil this movie for someone. 

Benicio is well worth the watch. 

*denotes first time viewing
    1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    4. House of the Long Shadows*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    7. In the Mouth of Madness*
    8. Reptile*

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef

6. Love and monsters (2020) 2,5/5 FTV

7. Night Teeth (2021) 3,5/5 FTV  A vampire movie. Starts with a kind of vampire gang war, an ambitios young vampire wants to take over the power of the vampire community. A driver gets unwillingly mixed up in this and also falls in love with a deadly female vampire. Poor guy. Fastpaced, not too obvious and gives you a fun ride while it lasts, just dont think too much. Seldom a good idea while watching horror mov.ies

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda Gabler

7. Night Teeth (2021) 3,5/5 FTV 

8. The Nun (2022) 3,5/5 FTV  This had more scares. A ghost nun (i really like the idea of a killing ghost nun) is out after some of her former students. No fun side here as in many of the previous, this is just horror, no element of comedy at all. All in all a good attempt. A twist at the end too which is nice.

fushingfeefHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT

8. The Nun (2022) 3,5/5 FTV  

9. Night Flier (1997) 3,5/5 FTV Based on a King story. I really liked the ending. Leads are Miguel Ferrer and Julie Entwistle as reporters on the hunt for what they think is a serial killer. But its far worse....  Its a vampire! Named Renfield. We dont see much of him but a lot of his handywork. Not one of the disasters of a king movie but not too bad either.

fushingfeefHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 4. Society (FTV)

A high school student with a seemingly perfect life suspects his parents belong to a dark sex cult.

Part Cronenbergian body horror, part Lynchian nightmare, part “Eyes Wide Shut”, and part Ferris Buehler’s Day off, Society probably made quite a few people scratch their heads when this was released back in 1989. There’s an uneasy tone that shifts from teen comedy to mystery to horror, often all at once. I feel like this movie was way ahead of its time and I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about it. The film features jaw-dropping practical special effects from the guy who brought you the eyeball monster in Big Trouble in Little China and Nightmare on Elm Street 3, and the finale where the cult members have an orgiastic feeding frenzy they call the “shunt” will be burned into your retinas forever.

Main actor Billy Warlock (yes that’s his real name, Baywatch seasons 1-3) does a good job playing things straight, his paranoia growing steadily while remaining relatively sympathetic despite his flaws. Sure, there’s social commentary but you need not let that spoil things for you—this film is mostly out to make you laugh uncomfortably and gross you out occasionally. The film sags a bit in pace just past the halfway point, but you’re going to want to stick around for that finale. This is the kind of movie that you’ll get a kick out of showing to someone who’s never seen it, just to watch their reaction.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2023 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. Ghostwatch 4/5 (FTV)
    2. Wendel & Wild 4/5 (FTV)
    3. Dolls 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Society 3/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 😳

Note to self: Find and view a movie called…Society. 

Tell no one I watched it. 
    fushingfeefFlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • I was struggling with laughy guy or WTF fella. I hovered over both emojis for a seriously long time. (Bob's description tipped it for me. 😄)
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • edited October 2023
    9.  Maximum Overdrive* — 1986 — Pluto

“When Earth passes through the tail of Rea-M rogue comet, the machines come to life and start to kill mankind. A group of survivors is under siege from fierce trucks at the Dixie Boy truck stop gas station and they have to fight to survive.”

I am pretty sure I saw this? Maybe I just remember the clips from interviews and “best of” shows because I don’t remember a damn thing about this other than a still or two from the movie. 

Stephen directed this, yes? And he was high on drugs, yes? Well, I don’t think he did a bad job. It is a typical male horror fantasy movie of that time. Cars blowing up, getting girls in the sack, shooting the big guns pew pew!  

The story was fun. And I’m counting it as a first time viewing. 

1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2023
    10.  Duel* — 1971 — Criterion

“It centers on a business commuter, played by Dennis Weaver, driving his car through California to meet a client. However, he finds himself chased and terrorized by the mostly unseen driver of a semi-truck.”

A pairing with my Maximum Overdrive above and because I’ve been watching or listening to numerous things involving Spielberg here lately, I decided to watch this. Which I was sure I had seen. Again, I don’t remember anything other than frozen clips I’ve been fed over the years. 

This is pretty terrifying, and I’m gonna talk a real big game here, but this wouldn’t have happened to me because I am a sneaky old lady playing old lady games out on the roads of America. 

Besides, all truckers are serial killers so I would not have engaged in this at all to begin with. 

I’m counting it as a first time view as apparently my brain is in the sunset of its years and only holds snapshots of movies, not plot details. 

1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • Deep Water (no, not a horror, but you know me)

Well, bloody hell. I couldn't really champion a single character in this, except for maybe the little girl, Trixie. (Grace Jenkins) Who did a great job.
    Husband (Ben Affleck) and wife (Ana de Armas) have a highly dysfunctional marriage in this psychological thriller. 
    There is murder, manipulation, very little loyalty, tons of selfishness. They're not very nice people. 

It was okay, good at first but then lost its way and had a really weird ending credits scene. 

1) The Rig* (Prime)
    2) Deep Water* (2022 - Prime)
    GNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • Besides, all truckers are serial killers

Mad-truck GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    KurbenFlakeNoir
  • 5. Tombs of the Blind Dead (La Noche Del Terror Ciego) (FTV)

Spain’s answer to Night of the Living Dead has undead Knights Templar feasting on unsuspecting vacationers.

In 1972 zombie mania was just starting to spread in Europe. The Italians were still making westerns and hadn’t yet reached the zombie heights they would be the late 70’s and early 80’s, but Spanish low budget film director Amando de Ossorio knew when to cash in. The Tombs of the Blind dead was a hit, with the old standbys of sex and violence, all made as cheaply as possible, but with a dash of atmosphere and style. The movie spawned 3 additional “sequels” that could be standalone films.

The film leans heavily into atmosphere and mood, with very little dialogue in the first half in particular. At times the movie feels just plain slow, but the revenant knights are a highlight, a skeletal gang of grim reapers on horseback. These guys are mean and the bites are shown close-up, at least in the uncensored foreign version. The victims are aggravatingly passive, getting themselves easily cornered and seemingly unable to evade these very slow blind zombies. Stop screaming and giving away your location! By the way, the reason they are called the blind dead is because they were hung for their crimes and crows pecked out their eyes—nice, huh?

Patient fans of 70’s Euro-horror will be satisfied, casual zombie fans might be bored.

3 out of 5 stars.

1. Ghostwatch 4/5 (FTV)
    3. Dolls 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Society 3/5 (FTV)
    5. Tombs of the Blind Dead 3/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Dream House* (2011 Netflix)

Starring: Daniel Craig, Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz.

"Abandoning high-stress Manhattan, Will moves to a quiet New England town but learns that his new home was the site of several brutal murders."

I liked it. Basically it's a love story with murder thrown in... oh hey, I'll always be a sucker for that. ☺️ (love story, not murder😳)
    I did figure out early on who would be responsible, but I still enjoyed the storytelling. 

1) The Rig* (2023 - Prime)
    3) Dream House* (2011 - Netflix)
    GNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • 11. Westworld — 1973 — Criterion

“A robot malfunction creates havoc and terror for unsuspecting vacationers at a futuristic, adult-themed amusement park.”

yep. I’ve watched it over and over and I love it every single time. 

1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    11. Westworld
    fushingfeefKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • 6. The Brainiac (El Baron del Terror) (FTV)

Sorcerer burned at stake by the Inquisition returns 300 years later as a hairy, fork-tongued, tube-fingered monster who sucks out the brains of the descendants of his tormentors.

Made in 1962 in Mexico by lucha libre director Chano Urueta, The Brainiac is filmed in crisp black and white and has the look and feel of a Universal Studios monster film from decades earlier. The setup feels familiar if you’ve seen “I Married A Witch”, which features a similar revenge plot, but this movie isn’t played for laughs—although the rubber-masked monster is just ridiculous. The actor playing the monster must have been gasping for air, causing the mask to bulge and contract with every breath, and the director must have decided to just leave it in that way.

After a nice atmospheric witch trial setup that feels bigger and better than the film’s remaining budget, we’re left with a fairly repetitive monster movie where the descendants are bumped off one at a time in nearly the exact same manner and stylistic edits. After seeing so many dispatched in a similar manner, the only real tension becomes wondering what the monster will do for the final descendant, who is the protagonist and a beautiful woman—will it be love at first sight, or end with her brains getting sucked out?

Low-budget but enjoyable enough stuff, and part of Indicator Film’s excellent “Mexico Macabre” box set.

3 out of 5 stars.

1. Ghostwatch 4/5 (FTV)
    3. Dolls 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Society 3/5 (FTV)
    6. The Brainiac 3/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I don't watch many horror movies -- and my wife doesn't like them at all -- but I have seen a couple so far this month:

1) Rose Red (Hulu) -- I don't think I've seen this since it first aired over 20 years ago. It's definitely dated, and the square aspect ratio doesn't help, but there are some fine performances (Julian Sands, especially). How much better it could have been if it were made for streaming, without the need to write to commercial breaks. Still, worth watching.

2) The Boogeyman (Hulu) -- I almost skipped this one because of all the negativity surrounding it, but I think it's quite effective. Great performances and some genuinely disturbing images, coupled with a solid backstory to motivate it. 

I'll probably tackle the Pet Sematary prequel at some point. Then it'll be back to nice comfortable murder series!
    KurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • I don't watch many horror movies -- and my wife doesn't like them at all -- but I have seen a couple so far this month:

1) Rose Red (Hulu) -- I don't think I've seen this since it first aired over 20 years ago. It's definitely dated, and the square aspect ratio doesn't help, but there are some fine performances (Julian Sands, especially). How much better it could have been if it were made for streaming, without the need to write to commercial breaks. Still, worth watching.

2) The Boogeyman (Hulu) -- I almost skipped this one because of all the negativity surrounding it, but I think it's quite effective. Great performances and some genuinely disturbing images, coupled with a solid backstory to motivate it. 

I'll probably tackle the Pet Sematary prequel at some point. Then it'll be back to nice comfortable murder series!
    So nice of you to join us in our, perhaps slightly disturbed, adoration of horror movies. It is a fun tradition that started at SKMB and i'm glad that you have given place to it here.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ....my Tracy is the same....doesn't care for horror, and so I don't view anything unless she is either not home, or appears willing to at least try-with the caveat that if she is uncomfortable-off it goes....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • I gave Bloodlines about 30 minutes. That was enough for me. Yuck.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir

8. The Nun (2022) 3,5/5 FTV  

9. Night Flier (1997) 3,5/5 FTV

10. Pet semetary: Bloodlines 1,5/5 Not a hit. Did not have any expextations. Some known names in there like Henry Thomas, David Duchovny and Pam Grier. It was interesting to see what they had done for a prequel but beyond that not very interesting.

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • 12.  Hell Night* — 1981 — Tubi

“Hell Night is a 1981 American slasher film starring Linda Blair and Vincent Van Patton. The film depicts a night of fraternity hazing set in an old manor—the site of a familial mass murder—during which a deformed killer terrorizes and murders many of the college students.”

Typical frat movie. Horrible.

1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    11. Westworld
    12. Hell Night* 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • 7. The Visitor (FTV)

Star-loaded cult sci-fi religious horror film with no shortage of bombast, that oddly no one talks about.

It’s 1979, so you write a script that combines elements of The Exorcist, The Omen, Carrie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, and (for some reason) The Birds. Then for actors you hire John Huston, Lance Henricksen, Sam Peckinpah, Shelley Winters, Glenn Ford, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Now for a director, hire an inexperienced Italian guy who has only made visual effects for television commercials, but is a big fan of Alejandro Jodorowosky, but who always wanted to make a giallo. Then open your film with a bleach blonde Jesus talking to a group of bald-headed kids about how Satan is really Zateen, an alien from outer space who mated with early Earth apes to create what is known as modern humans. Did you get all that? You’ve just made The Visitor.

Is there any point in me stating that this movie was bizarre and made little sense? Even the actors interviewed in the extras said they had no idea what was going on. There’s so much to pick apart here, but really it’s just one of those ones you have to see to believe. Oh, and the music is so over-the-top dramatic, merely people walking across a room gets treated as if it’s the most tense thing ever. Did I mention the corporate boardroom of Satanists led by Mel Ferrer? The use of Satanic powers to influence the outcome of an NBA game with an exploding basketball? How about the fishing line noose put around a woman’s neck while she sits in a wheelchair at the top of a staircase? The lead little girl who occasionally has a southern accent and swears loudly while playing Pong on a CRT projector screen, who pulls a loaded pistol out of a gift box at her birthday party?

Yeah, it’s that kind of movie.

3 out of 5 stars.

1. Ghostwatch 4/5 (FTV)
    3. Dolls 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Society 3/5 (FTV)
    6. The Brainiac 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Visitor 3/5 (FTV)

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • I really can't call my list a horror list, it isn't. I'll never be a horror film fan, I've tried, it's just not in me. 🥹

In the last couple of days/nights I've watched:

4) Stillwater* (2021 - Netflix)

Starring: Matt Damon, Abigail Breslin, Camille Cottin and Lilou Siauvaud. (outstanding performance)

"An American oil-rig roughneck travels to Marseille, France, to visit his estranged daughter, in prison for a murder she claims she didn't commit. Confronted with language barriers, cultural differences and a complicated legal system, he soon builds a new life for himself as he makes it his personal mission to exonerate her."

This was a slow burn, but I liked it. Ultimately heartbreaking though.

5) The Lincoln Lawyer* (2011 - Netflix)

Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Maria Tomei, William H. Macey

"Mick Haller is a defense lawyer who works out of his Lincoln. When a wealthy Realtor is accused of assaulting a prostitute, Haller is asked to defend him."

This was listed as a thriller... yeah, nah.
    It was okay.

6) Reptile* (2023 - Netflix)

See DJ's description above. I liked it, very well done.

7) M3GAN* (2022 - Prime)

Starring: Allison Williams, Violet McGraw, Ronnie Chieng, Amie Donald

"When Gemma suddenly becomes the caretaker of her orphaned 8-year-old niece, Cady, Gemma's unsure and unprepared to be a parent. Under intense pressure at work, Gemma decides to pair her M3GAN prototype with Cady in an attempt to resolve both problems-a decision that will have unimaginable consequences."

Pretty obvious where this would go, but was still entertaining.

1) The Rig* (2023 - Prime)
    3) Dream House* (2011 - Netflix)
    4) Stillwater* (2021 - Netflix)
    5) The Lincoln Lawyer* (2011 - Netflix)
    6) Reptile* (2023 - Netflix)
    7) M3GAN* (2022 - Prime)
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerfushingfeefKurben