Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

October 2023 Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• 13. The Tunnel (2011) (FTV)

TV journalists enter abandoned tunnels under Sidney in search of a story about the homeless living there, end up finding something sinister instead.

Oh great, another found footage movie with an annoying female lead presiding over a group of male jerkwads. Oh look, she’s blinded by her ambitions to get to the bottom of the story and ignores all the warning signs and leads them to certain doom. Seems like someone saw The Blair Witch Project and said “Let’s do that, but worse.”

And worse it is. Worse acting, to be sure. We’re never convinced that we’re watching anything other than some low-rent actors going through the paces. They say things that real world people don’t say and react in ways that don’t seem quite right. Also, literally nothing of interest happens in the first 45 minutes. Why are they trying to get us to care about office politics, local politicians and the water shortage in Australia?

Worst of all, the format of the entire movie is told as a faux documentary where they’re interviewing the survivors. So we already know who’s going to live and who’s going to die. Whose idea was this? Don’t they know how suspense works? Every time there’s a potentially interesting development in the flashback footage, they cut back to present day with the interviewees sitting safely in a studio, sucking out all tension from the movie. The lingering tearful ending, which is apparently meant to be tragic, made me feel nothing. Am I a bad person for literally flipping off the lead character when she says “I feel responsible…I don’t want to say that it was my fault.” Yeah sure honey, go on telling yourself that.

They do get one thing right, and that’s to keep the monster/monsters vague—we don’t see much, and that works in its favor. But I get the feeling this was a happy accident brought upon by a low budget, not a deliberate artistic choice. I was surprised this film came highly recommended from quite a few horror fans, but to each his own, I guess.

2 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2023 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. Ghostwatch 4/5 (FTV)
    2. Wendel & Wild 4/5 (FTV)
    3. Dolls 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Society 3/5 (FTV)
    5. Tombs of the Blind Dead 3/5 (FTV)
    6. The Brainiac 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Talk To Me 4/5 (FTV)
    9. Young Frankenstein 5/5
    10. The Exorcist II: The Heretic 3/5 (FTV)
    11. Creepshow 3 1/5 (FTV)
    12. Skinamarink 4/5 (FTV)
    13. The Tunnel (2011) 2/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Kurbens Horror movie list!

1. Beneath Us All (2023) 2,5/5 FTV

2. The Flood (2023) 3,5/5  FTV

3. Island Escape (2023) 2/5 FTV

4. Vampires vs The Bronx (2020) 4/5 FTV

5. V For Vengeance (2022) 4/5 FTV

6. Love and monsters (2020) 2,5/5 FTV

7. Night Teeth (2021) 3,5/5 FTV 

8. The Nun (2022) 3,5/5 FTV  

9. Night Flier (1997) 3,5/5 FTV

10. Pet semetary: Bloodlines 1,5/5 FTV

11. Scream of the Wolf (2023) 2/5 FTV

12 The Boogeyman /2023) 4/5 FTV

13. Konferensen (2023) 2/5 FTV A swedish horror movie. I found this to be rather silly. A group of business associates rent themselfes a week in a conference hotel in the cpuntry and strange and sinister things start to happen. You never really buy the actors as businesspeople because they act like teenagers on holiday so it all seems very unreal from the beginning.

fushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro

13. Konferensen (2023) 2/5 FTV

14. Ghost Ship aka Triangle 3,5/5 2009 FTV 6 friends go sailing, their boat, Triangle, is turned over by a storm and they are rescued by a liner. But noone is aboard and then strange things start happening. The death tolls are high here because you can die several times. Melissa George in the lead and she does her best but the movie leaves you a bit confused and i think the director was too. Anyway effective in parts.

fushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited October 2023
    16. The Fall of the House of Usher* — 2023 — Netflix

Just brilliant. I thought it was just brilliant.  Some obvious things and some very subtle things — pay attention. 

*denotes first time viewing
    1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    4. House of the Long Shadows*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    7. In the Mouth of Madness*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    11. Westworld
    12. Hell Night* 
    13. Fright*
    14. The Ghost of Sierra de Cobre*
    15. Psychoville*
    16. The Fall of the House of Usher*
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotarofushingfeef
  • October 2023 Horror Movie Marathon!

Watched.....

01. The Meg 2 (absolute drivel)
    02. No One Will Save You ( really good)
    03. Pet Sematary;Bloodlines (jesus this was bad)
    04. Talk To Me (really good)
    05. Haunted Mansion (not too bad)
    06. The Exorcist: Believer ( its a dud)
    07. It Lives Inside (Enjoyable)
    GNTLGNTfushingfeefHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • 1.-Death Note (Netflix)
    2.-Haunted Mansion (Disney +)
    3.-The Conference (Netflix)

In the comedy-horror flick, a grisly killer targets a weary group of municipal workers.

...Ye gods and little fishes!!!....it had it's moments, but I feel like a deserve a refund even though I didn't pay anything!....bad with a capital B for Barf.....two creative kills, the rest trope laden....unable to tell if it was intentional or just dumb luck, emphasis on dumb...I shoulda gone with Bob to feed the ducks.....

The Conference Horror Movie Cast Release Date Trailer Plot - Netflix  Tudum
    fushingfeefHedda GablerFlakeNoir

14. Ghost Ship aka Triangle 3,5/5 2009 FTV 

15, The Fall Of The House Of Usher ep. 1-4 4,5/5 This is truly good!! Sure there is a bit of poetic licence but they made something really good out of it. A lot of winks to other works by Poe  spread through the series. Not only are the episodes named after some short story by Poe but there are images that make you think of him too.

16. The Fall Of The House Of Usher ep 5-8 2023 Netflix

fushingfeefHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I must say i really liked Mary McDonnell as Madeline Usher in the TV-series. She really stood out for me. 
    fushingfeefHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 14. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

Guy who defeated Jason in prior movie accidentally resurrects him and becomes the prime suspect in a series of new killings.

Released in 1986, Jason Lives received a positive reception amongst fans and critics alike, who mostly disliked the direction the franchise took by the end of part V. Certain things from part V are therefore ignored and this episode is the first time that Jason is essentially a supernatural being. He’s much more of a rampaging, lightning jump-started big lummox along the lines of Frankenstein’s monster. Also, this marks the beginning of a certain level of self-awareness of the franchise, predating some of the winking at the audience territory explored years later by Wes Craven in Scream.

In short, the film is a blast. At a brisk 86 minutes, there’s little fat to be trimmed and your attention span will not be challenged. This is definitely upper tier Friday the 13th, and for many it’s their absolute favorite. While there are plenty of kills, the violence isn’t super gratuitous or outrageous, just brutal and efficient, like Jason himself. The characters are notably less sexually promiscuous in this film than the predecessors, perhaps reflecting a growing conservatism in the 80’s as the sleazy 1970’s faded from memory. I believe this may also be the first time in the series that we get to see Jason scaring (and notably, sparing) groups of younger children. I’m guessing a lot of kids watching this movie on cable TV in the 80’s took a liking to Jason for this reason, and a whole new batch of horror film fans was created.

This one delivers the goods, sit back and enjoy.

4 out of 5 stars.

1. Ghostwatch 4/5 (FTV)
    3. Dolls 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Society 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Talk To Me 4/5 (FTV)
    14. Friday the 13th part VI: Jason Lives 4/5

(yes that is 37 year old Ron "Horshack" Palilo playing a teenager, above left)

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I shoulda gone with Bob to feed the ducks.....
    Anytime, Scott!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • GNTLGNT said:
    1.-Death Note (Netflix)

In the comedy-horror flick, a grisly killer targets a weary group of municipal workers.

...Ye gods and little fishes!!!....it had it's moments, but I feel like a deserve a refund even though I didn't pay anything!....bad with a capital B for Barf.....two creative kills, the rest trope laden....unable to tell if it was intentional or just dumb luck, emphasis on dumb...I shoulda gone with Bob to feed the ducks.....

The Conference Horror Movie Cast Release Date Trailer Plot - Netflix  Tudum
    Oh good to know. i was circling this one. 
    KurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 17. The Sentinel — 1977 — Netflix

“The plot focuses on a young model who moves into a historic Brooklyn brownstone that has been sectioned into apartments, only to find that the building is owned by the Catholic diocese and is a gateway to hell. “

Lots of old familiar faces and fashions and settings of the 70s which makes it interesting to me. I read the book and it was scary. I remember being very disappointed with the movie.  

1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    11. Westworld
    12. Hell Night* 
    13. Fright*
    15. Psychoville*
    17. The Sentinel
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 18. MaleVolent* — 2018 — Netflix

“A brother-sister team that fabricates paranormal encounters for cash gets more than it bargains for when it takes a job in an estate with real paranormal activity.”

Not bad. It had potential to be better. It was okay. 

denotes first time viewing
    1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    11. Westworld
    12. Hell Night* 
    13. Fright*
    15. Psychoville*
    17. The Sentinel
    18. Malevolent*
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 19. Things Heard and Seen* — 2021 — Netflix

“After moving to a small town with her husband, a young artist begins to suspect that their home harbours some dark secrets.”

Here is another one that had do much potential but never really took off. Once again, many familiar faces it took me a minute to recognize.  It was okay. 

1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    11. Westworld
    12. Hell Night* 
    13. Fright*
    15. Psychoville*
    17. The Sentinel
    18. Malevolent*
    19. Things Heard and Seen* 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2023
    19 1/2 — Notaro’s Shadow — 2023 — 

Man goes with friend to enjoy the day in the big city.  Little does he know he is being stalked by an ominous presence. Another mate warns him, but is it too late?

This had great visuals, interesting storyline. I recommend the view in the What Are You Doing Today? thread. 

1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    11. Westworld
    12. Hell Night* 
    13. Fright*
    15. Psychoville*
    17. The Sentinel
    18. Malevolent*
    19. Things Heard and Seen* 
    19 1/2. Notaro’s Shadow*
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 17. The Sentinel — 1977 — Netflix

“The plot focuses on a young model who moves into a historic Brooklyn brownstone that has been sectioned into apartments, only to find that the building is owned by the Catholic diocese and is a gateway to hell. “

Lots of old familiar faces and fashions and settings of the 70s which makes it interesting to me. I read the book and it was scary. I remember being very disappointed with the movie.  

1. El Conde*
    2. Suspiria*
    3. No One Will Save You*
    5. Bone Tomahawk*
    6. Seconds*
    8. Reptile*
    9. Maximum Overdrive*
    10. Duel*
    11. Westworld
    12. Hell Night* 
    13. Fright*
    15. Psychoville*
    17. The Sentinel
    ....agreed...book=good...movie=bad....so speaketh Scott the CaveMan....
    fushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • 1.-Death Note (Netflix)
    4.-Annihaltion (Paramount+)

Annihilation is a 2018 science fiction psychological horror film written and directed by Alex Garland, based on the 2014 novel of the same name by Jeff VanderMeer. It stars Natalie PortmanJennifer Jason LeighGina RodriguezTessa ThompsonTuva Novotny, and Oscar Isaac. The story follows a group of explorers who enter "The Shimmer", a mysterious quarantined zone of mutating plants and animals caused by an alien presence.

....this one requires thinking, not what I look for in a horror film....the ducks are gonna get REAL fat.....

Annihilation Director Alex Garland Re-Teams With A24 For New Movie Set to  Star Jessie Buckley - Bloody Disgusting
    fushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler

15, The Fall Of The House Of Usher ep. 1-4 4,5/5 T

17. Rosasanta aka Werewolf Hunt 3,5/5 2004 FTV This is based on the actual case of Spains first documented serialkiller Manuel Rosasanta that was convicted for killing 15 people between 1849 and 1851. His defense was that he killed them in his wolfshape (but he never denied killing them) and claimed to have killed many other together with his partner Antonio. His existence was never proven but Rosasanta died under mysterious circumstances in prison. Good, suggestive photography, excellent acting from the late Julian Sands as Rosasanta. Elsa Pataky is also good in the female lead. A bit too slowpaced for its own good and is more on the thriller than the horrorside of genres.

fushingfeefFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler

17. Rosasanta aka Werewolf Hunt 3,5/5 2004 FTV

18. Låt Den Rätte Komma In aka Let The Right One In 5/5 2008 This is really really good. Much better than the hollywood version of the same story, Let Me In. One of few really successful adaptations of horrorbooks. The two child actors that play Oscar and Eli, Kåre Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson are phenomenal. Based on the novel by John Ajvide Lindqvist which also is very good. Basic story is a bullied boy, Oscar, befriends the newly arrived neighbor girl, Eli, who turns out to be much more than he thought. Great movie. I've seen it before and will probably see it again. It stands the test of time.

• Loving your selections and reviews, Kurben!
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • 15. Dracula (1979) (FTV)

Elegant gothic horror film of the classic Bram Stoker novel.

I knew little of this version of the film aside from anachronistic still photos of Frank Langella as Count Dracula with his silly 1970’s blow-dried hair. I was surprised that this was not some sleazy exploitative update (which would have been entirely fair to expect in the 1970’s) but a faithful and artful adaptation. That’s not to say that Langella’s portrayal is prudish—he definitely leans into the more seductive aspects of the vampire legend, but he comes across as not so much a roguish predator but an appealing and likable romantic who happens to want your blood. We also get Donald Pleasence playing a lighter, almost comedic role as an asylum owner, and the always dependable Laurence Olivier as Van Helsing.

The Shout Factory Blu-Ray release I own provides two versions of the film; I watched the more muted color version which is nearly black and white. Director John Badham had originally wanted his version to be filmed in pure black and white but the studio balked and it was released in full color. In the 1990’s Badham altered the color timing and made a desaturated version more in line with his original vision. In my opinion both versions have their strengths and weaknesses (the color version is a bit too much at times and lacks atmosphere, the desaturated version can be murky in certain scenes), but it’s great that we get both so viewers can decide for themselves.

Pacing can be a bit slow-ish at times, but overall a more-than-serviceable version of Dracula with Langella at peak powers.

3 out of 5 stars.

1. Ghostwatch 4/5 (FTV)
    3. Dolls 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Society 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Talk To Me 4/5 (FTV)
    15. Dracula (1979) 3/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler

18. Låt Den Rätte Komma In aka Let The Right One In 5/5 2008 

19. The Fearless Vampire Killers 4/5 1967 This is one of my fave horrorcomedies. Perfect balance between the two and never dropping the story. Vampirehunter (Jack MacGowran) and his assistent (Roman Polanski) in Pursuit of a vampire that abducts the innkeepers daughter (Sharon Tate). The last movie released while Tate was still alive. She was murdered by the Manson Family the year after while she was pregnant with Polanskis child. Here he is still able to make jokes. Welldirected and acted. Even if it isnt Polanski in absolute peak form (think Repulsion, Cul-De-Sac, Rosemarys Baby and Chinatown) it is really good. It is one of few instances where Polanski tries to be funny. And he is.

GNTLGNTfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler

18. Låt Den Rätte Komma In aka Let The Right One In 5/5 2008 

19. The Fearless Vampire Killers 4/5 1967

20. The Midnight Meat Train 4/5 2008 FTV This was better than i expected. Based on a short story from Clive Barkers Books Of Blood collection. Not for everyones taste because its pretty bloody. A photographer (Bradley Cooper) is on the hunt for a serial killer (Vinnie Jones) that kills people in the subway. Also Leslie Bibb and Brooke Shields. Jones dont have many face expressions but here he does not need them. A nasty twist in the last 10 minutes.

• 16. Nekromantik (FTV)

Man working for a human remains cleanup company literally brings his work home to share with his necrophiliac girlfriend, but falls into a downward spiral when he gets fired.

Made in the late 80’s in Germany by a director frustrated with censorship and ratings boards, Nekromantik doesn’t just push the envelope, it shoves it where the sun don’t shine. Lacking any kind of budget or actors who could, you know, act, the movie has the grainy look and feel of one of those “Mondo” movies of the 1970’s shot on 16mm. If early John Waters decided to make horror films, he’d have likely produced something like this, albeit with drag queens and a bit more obvious humor.

Although, I can’t help but think that this whole movie was intended to be darkly humorous, especially the “lovemaking” scene where the couple gets lovey-dovey with a gray, oozing corpse and the romantic music kicks in like some sort of made for cable softcore production. I mean, the guy sucks out the corpse’s eyeball and then lovingly spits it back into the socket, the girl supplements the corpse with the leg of a chair, how else are we supposed to take this? If we don’t laugh we may end up screaming, or at least gagging. (By the way, I snacked on beef jerky and a cheese stick during that scene and didn’t miss a beat). There’s also a scene where he goes to watch a fairly standard slasher and the whole audience seems bored out of their minds. Think they’re making a statement here?

Far less humorous is a scene (presumably, we hope, from a film archive) showing a live rabbit having its throat cut, blood drained, and then is skinned and eviscerated. This will likely trigger many viewers (my dad was an avid hunter and trapper, so nothing new here for me, although I detest animal cruelty). The scene comes without preamble and seems a bit out of place even in the context of this over-the-top film, but at the end it actually made a kind of sick sense and had some resonance. Is this art or trash? Why not both?

Not recommended for 97% of the public, so don’t blame me.

3 out of 5 stars.

1. Ghostwatch 4/5 (FTV)
    3. Dolls 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Society 3/5 (FTV)
    7. The Visitor 3/5 (FTV)
    8. Talk To Me 4/5 (FTV)
    15. Dracula (1979) 3/5 (FTV)
    16. Nekromantik 3/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurben
  • ....best review yet Bob, and no ducks were harmed or fed during the making of said post....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gablerfushingfeef