Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Is there a connection?

edited July 2004 in Dark Tower
Whilst taking a rare walk round our local shops with Andy this morning I finally gave in to the temptation of looking round the second hand book shop (ok, more like I got dragged in there by his lordship!). Came away with about six books (as if we dont' have enough already, in fact the shop we went in very much resembled our spare room - bursting at the seams with books!). Only two of the books really interested me, one being Tolkien's The Shaping of Middle-Earth only it's volume 4 and we don't yet have volumes 1, 2 and 3 and the other one is Stephen King's The Eyes of the Dragon which I have to admit I'm not familiar with. On reading the back cover I see that the villain's name is Flagg. So could anyone tell me if I am right in thinking that this is in someway connected to The Stand? Haven't consulted Ratty on this one yet, so maybe he'll come up with the answer, but any feedback would be much appreciated. I will take it with me to Malta in case I catch up with Ratty before he finishes Wastelands as I'm over halfway through The Drawing of the Three.

I can see what the hype is about the Dark Tower series now, I love it...every time I have to put the book down, I can't wait to pick it up again.

Kxx

Comments

• I'm by no means an expert like some here, but if I recall correctly, King wrote Eyes of the Dragon as kind of a fairy tale for his daughter when she was younger because she didn't care for his other stories. It's been quite awhile since I read it, but it seems like there were two male characters trying to catch Flagg. In one of the Dark Tower stories, I seem to remember Roland making a reference to them, something about having met them on their quest. I don't remember any direct connection to The Stand, other than Flagg, and he is supposed to be the Ageless Stranger, etc. so has probably been around forever in one evil fashion or another. Like I said, I am definitely no expert and this is just off the top of my head. Hopefully, someone else will be able to enlighten you further. ;)
  • The two characters you are referring to are Dennis and Thomas. At one time as it was told by Roland in 'The Drawing of the Three' (or is it 'The Waste Lands'?) they slipped into Roland's world while pursuing Flagg who is most certainly another persona of that half demon known in some quarters as The Ageless Stranger and in others as Randall Flagg / Walter O'Dim / Marten Broadcloak etc.  ;D
  • Jolycu and sunny have it right, Jazzrat: Flagg is the same persona in both The Stand and EotD, the connection with Waste Lands cements this and also the Flagg of DT3 also said he was the Flagg of the Stand.

I think sometimes his form shifts between whatever world he is in (or level of the Dark Tower) so his appearance changes from book to book, but it's the same guy throughout the books.

Edited to say: EotD is a great read, and a lovely book :)
  • Correct me if I am wrong  ;D

But I think the trade edition of EOTD published in 1987 is a substantially revised edition?

I think there is a different first edition which is a limited edition with illustrations by Kenny Linkhauser (the trade's illustrations were by David Palladini) released several years prior to 1987.

If memory serves.  ;D
  • Thanks guys, you all seem to have answered my question for me. The book was indeed written for King's daughter, he says so in his foreward in this book. Well even though I have to get through all the Dark Tower books whilst away, I am taking this one with me too in case I catch up with Ratty before he gets through Wastelands. ;)

Kxx
  • No problem Jazzy. Have a good trip. ;D
  • Enjoy your holiday guys, and bring back some pics :)

Likes the sea, and sunsets and sunrises (for whichever of you likes to get up early) :) and dolphins, lots of dolphin pics :)
  • Well Dukky, we popped over to Gozo on the ferry yesterday and unfortunately didn't see any dolphins this time, although when I was here nearly 20 years ago we did see them on that trip. Still, planning a trip around the island and to the Blue Lagoon next week so there is still a chance we will see some. As soon as I can get some pics uploaded you will see them ;D

This morning I got to the point in Drawing of the Three where Roland mentions Flagg, Thomas and Dennis so I can see where you are coming from. It's fascinating and very clever to see where some of the King characters turn up in different books. I've nearly finished The Drawing of the Three and luckily Ratty is as close to finishing Wastelands so that I can move straight on to that.

Kxx
  • Have you just posted from, Malta?

Wow, cool :)

Failing dolphins, sea shots are really nice ;)
  • Is there any songs that comes to mind that has the word Malta in it? :)
    • Italian Man Who Went To Malta by 50 Cent
    • Time In Malta
  • Didn't know you listen to 50 cent Bev. Guess we will get rich or die trying ;D
  • My daughter is 17--I hear a lot of different kinds of music. We inflict our tastes on each other!
  • You try getting her to listen to Barry Manilow yet? ;D
  • That would mean I'd have to listen to him, too. :P
  • Heh heh ;D

Nobody listens to Barry Manilow anymore ;D
  • I do not listen to BM, but he is playing a concert here and tickets go on sale any day and they are expecting a crowd! Go figure! I know this girl at work who loves him too! I nbeed new friends I guess!
  • Oh Mandy! You can and you found me a turkey.. on my vacation away......

Oh, wait...thats from the simpsons. But I like BM. I find him soothing. Not like that crap kids listen to now
  • You got all the friends you need Bob. ;)

I don't listen to BM either and don't understand what the fuss is about, Must be the 80's thing. Or is it late 70's? ;D
  • Aah. A BM fan. Are you following me around Pretty Penguin? :)
  • Darn right!
  • Nice to know that. I eat Penguins for breakfast
  • DTUK wrote: Enjoy your holiday guys, and bring back some pics :)

Likes the sea, and sunsets and sunrises (for whichever of you likes to get up early) :) and dolphins, lots of dolphin pics :)
    Well Dukky, we're back home as you've probably gathered. And yes I did manage to post from Malta briefly, although I only got the one chance as I don't like to hog my little bro's computer too much and it's only a dial-up connection. Unfortunately we didn't get to see any dolphins this time round. Tim says dolphin sightings are becoming a bit of a rarety out there.

I'm struggling to find the time to catch up with all the postings on here over the last two weeks!

Reading-wise I'm just coming to the exciting end of Wastelands - wow these Dark Tower books are fantastic! I can see why everyone raves about them now and await the next in the series so eagerly. It's great being able to finish one volume and start the next straight away. :D

Bev_Vincent wrote: My daughter is 17--I hear a lot of different kinds of music. We inflict our tastes on each other!
    Hey Bev, my daughter has just turned 17 too. I'm lucky we actually have fairly similar tastes in music, unlike my son - most of his music needs to be censored!

Kxx
  • I'm lucky we actually have fairly similar tastes in music, unlike my son - most of his music needs to be censored!

Such as ?? :)
  • Jazzrat wrote:

Tim says dolphin sightings are becoming a bit of a rarety out there.

A shame about that that they are becoming a rarety. Dolphins are such beautiful mammals. :)

Reading-wise I'm just coming to the exciting end of Wastelands - wow these Dark Tower books are fantastic!  I can see why everyone raves about them now and await the next in the series so eagerly.  It's great being able to finish one volume and start the next straight away.   :D

Wasteland's is one of my favourite books, especially I think since ***Nearly put in a spoiler for you there, Jazzrat*** :o

I just saw that you said you were near the end of the book and had not actually finished it ::)