Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Dark Tower 7 *Spoiler's Present*

Comments

• Nay wrote: One question?  Where the heck did Jack Sawyer go?  I kept thinking he would show up somewhere in the last book.

I expect King probably regards Jack as community property and wouldn't expropriate him for his own use. There's still the possibility of a third Territories novel.
  • I was so sure that Jake did his 'mind switch' with Oy (as Roland was busy with S.K.) and that Jake was actually in Oy's body, keeping quiet until the right moment.

I thought it was bad storytelling that Jake died for real.
  • That would have been a neat effect, DK. One of my comments in ROAD was that I thought King under-utilized the mind swap. It was clever and momentarily funny, but it didn't really amount to anything in the long run. Neither Jake nor Oy benefitted long-term from the experience.
  • Dukky!~ you stole my roland thingy!! (just kidign) though it will take some geting used to. As i keep thinking its me :)
  • Ford_Prefect wrote: Dukky!~ you stole my roland thingy!! (just kidign) though it will take some geting used to. As i keep thinking its me :)

Has borrowed him, matey ;) hehe

I've loved him ever since watching episode four of the Gunslinger short...hehe :D

I am not sure what the "West Siiiiide" bit means mind you, but him holding the gun looks way cool :)

• I am not sure what the "West Siiiiide" bit means mind you

It is a semi-common joke around this part of the world, mostly mocking gang members and their names and signs.
  • Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification, new, matey :)

Makes sense now :)
  • For some reason the death that was the most emotional to me, and actually made me cry, was the death of Oy. :-[

Also with the ending, does this mean Roland will meet everyone again and all the same things will happen?
  • Yep - but the horn is the key. With it he should be able to break the loop.
  • So by having the Horn the Tower will open the right way?
  • Well that's open to interpretation. No one knows what Roland's destiny is.
  • I decided that I couldn't NOT put my thoughts here having finished the book yesterday. :)

I'm not going to guess on too many broad "theories" since the book is left open for interpretation by his constant readers.

After finishing this book, I have decided that DTIII is still my favourite because it formed the first strong alliance of the ka-tet - that was very powerful for me.

However, DTVII, on an emotional level, touched me the most. The death of Eddie was the worst for me, the absolute worst :( . Pere did not surprise me, but it was sad. I had mentioned before in another thread that Jake dying would not have the same emotional impact because I had been through death with him twice already and I felt it was his ultimate destiny as a gunslinger. Although now the phrase "Go then, there are other worlds than these" rings more true than ever from DTI.

Jake has always been my favourite character and I think SK paid him a great honour as being his personal sacrificial lamb so to speak. But Eddie. I did NOT see that coming. :( Oy, although I loved him dearly, I felt he made a choice when he didn't go with Susannah. He too, was needed to fulfill a destiny for Roland's quest and he did it admirably, poor little fella.

Susannah... that part was a little disturbing for me because at that point I had assumed that all of the ka-tet must die sacrificially to allow Roland to continue his quest. I feel like Susannah copped somewhat at that point, but she was in love, and love makes us do silly things sometimes. :) I don't believe she died, I believe she chose whatever world awaited her (although the CK may have us believe otherwise). The discarding of the gun was emotional for me. (Bev, is it my imagination that on the original document Calvin Tower had, that his last name was Toren?) I cry your pardon if I'm not remembering that correctly.

Flagg's early departure (and at the hands of Mordred of all creatures) was a total surprise. I really wanted to see Roland deal with Flagg, I believe it was his destiny to do so. Maybe next time. :)

Characterization in this book was once again amazing - Irene, John and Moses became very memorable. :) (Bev, I see my long-ago asked question to you about Ed and Aaron Deepneau was answered. ;))

One thing I found really interesting about Roland's "journey through the rooms" was his memory of his experience with the prostitute. I often wondered if there had been an Oedipal issue of sorts between him and his mother since she betrayed his trust with Marten at such at impressionable age. It made his killing her a little more symbolic in my personal opinion.

So.... at the end of this journey, for me anyways, the Dark Tower is not a tangible structure, but simply Roland's "Judgement Day" where he is told whether he has fulfilled his destiny (or Ka). If he has not, he is doomed to repeat it as was somewhat foretold by Vannay. (Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana, The Life of Reason, Volume 1, 1905 US (Spanish-born) philosopher (1863 - 1952)) To me, the Crimson King is Roland's alter-ego of sorts, ever watchful of his path, hoping he will f***-up along the way, eyes ever-watchful.

I think the horn is a symbol of better days ahead for Roland, or I would like to think so - DTIV suggests that Roland did not redeem Cuthbert's death at Jericho Hill when the horn was left.

Overall, I loved the book, the writing was superb to say the least. (Lou, you were right, he outdid himself on the gross factor on many occasions. :)) I also had some of my best laughs too (the sandwich, omg classic Roland. Irene (shades of "our Lois" from Insomnia, and even poor Mordred who can't control his bodily functions ::)).

As far as Gan goes, I don't understand that "entity" completely - but I guess it's that from which all else comes forth. I'm sure there are different interpretations of Gan.

Sad to see it end.

Lin
  • Calvin's name was Toren. good catch. i thought the same thing so I checked. His family changed it when they came to the 'new country'
  • Excellent review Lin!  I totally agree with your statement:
    I'm not going to guess on too many broad "theories" since the book is left open for interpretation by his constant readers.

Like I posted earlier, I'm an optimist so I believe his next go around will be last.  OTOH one could easily build a case that Roland is only one step closer with many more to go before he breaks the loop - if ever.

DT7 ranks as my favourite because the level of writing was so high throughout the book.  King's clever switch to the storyteller's POV when explaining that deus ex machina was not available for saving King's life was brilliant.  Especially when King used it elsewhere throughout the story.

The other mantra he threw our way - as King was out for his walk - was 'Resolution requires compromise' or was it sacrifice? - sorry don't have the book in front of me.  Those three words encapsulate the climaxes of all of King's writing.  Also a clever way to foreshadow.

DT2 is pretty close because it brings the ka-tet together.  If Jake's second appearance had been part of the DT2 instead of DT3 - then DT2 would definitely be the best book for me.  That stretch from DT2 to Jake coming back ranks as the strongest part of the story for me.
  • Thanks, Lou. :) I'm glad you liked my "review".

DT3 is pretty close because it brings the ka-tet together. If Jake's second appearance had been part of the DT3 instead of DT4 - then DT3 would definitely be the best book for me. That stretch from DT3 to Jake coming back ranks as the strongest part of the story for me.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Jake appears to complete the ka-tet in his second coming (from the Mansion) in DTIII. Am I misinterpreting your meaning somehow?

Lin
  • I am pretty sure he (Jake) came in at Book 3 too. Lou, you must have meant something else right? Book2 and Book 3 perhaps?
  • Ooops - cry pardon.  Yeah I mixed the numbers up. I should have said DT2 & 3. Drawing of the Three - DT3 - you know I mixed them up - getting old I guess. :-[

I'll modify my post to correct that. Thanks!
  • :) Not to worry... but say true that the wait between (especially) 3-4 was endless.

Lin
  • :D :D :DGood thing it was winter where he was after eating the horse!
  • Lou, I hate to say it but that whole part made me laugh as well as be horrified. Stephen has a way about him with those types of *um* conditions. :)

Lin
  • I hate to admit it but I felt bad for him. Did anyone else feel sorry for Mordred?
  • Hey Tobey and welcome! :)

Oh definitely... I thought Mordred was written quite sympathetically, if that's not too strong a word. My heart ached for him and his "condition". It also touched me that Mia saw only what she wanted to see in her "beautiful" baby boy. Before he ate her face off that is. Poor Mia. :(

Lin
  • Tobey_Starburst wrote: I hate to admit it but I felt bad for him. Did anyone else feel sorry for Mordred?

Yes - he was a very tragically outside character.

I think his only real ambition was to be on the inside for once. But he blames Roland for his condition of being outside...

I felt sorry for him.
  • Just some more "random" thoughts on DTVII.

Actually this goes back to Insomnia, which I now have in front of me, checking. :)

SPOILERS FOR INSOMNIA, JUST IN CASE:

"Mommy, you're scrunching my picture!" Patrick said.
    This being his picture of "The Dark Tower". A little further ahead, as they make their way out of the Civic Centre (Sonia and Patrick):

Worlds which had trembled for a moment in their orbits now steadied, and in one of those worlds, in a desert that was the apotheosis of all deserts, a man named Roland turned over in his bedroll and slept easily once again beneath the alien constellations.

Therefore, had Patrick's "picture" not been saved, but only Patrick himself.. would the whole story had been different (knowing what we know now about his "drawings"). Just mho, you unnerstan'. :)

There was a lot of "foreshadowing" in this book but what made it interesting is that you really didn't know all the time what was coming, you could guess and sometimes it was wrong - for me, definitely when Eddie got shot. I mean, it was alluded to as the five members gathered together (never to be together as such again), but d-a-m-n, that was a HUGE surprise.

I didn't touch on Dandelo in my comments, because I was somewhat "puzzled" by the end-result of that comment made by Eddie, which to me should have been profound. I found the "profoundness" of it in the discovery of Patrick, but not so much in the shapeshifter, who I actually liked until then. *hmph*. :)

(In a perverse way, Roland almost laughing himself to death made me laugh too, I couldn't help it.)

From Bev Vincent:

expect King probably regards Jack as community property and wouldn't expropriate him for his own use. There's still the possibility of a third Territories novel.

THAT would be fine. I would love to hear what happened to Jack and Sophie, and more of Judy who was one of my favourite characters in Black House.

Anyways, nice to have a quiet moment to put down some more random thoughts. :)

Lin