Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Dark Tower 7 *Spoiler's Present*

13»

Comments

• From Lin in the Song of Susannah thread:

Did anyone else feel a BoB connection when Eddie was given with the two cartoon bandages? That reminded me so much of Maddie and Ky. The whole cabin sequences had a BoB feel to it for me.

I knew there was something I was forgetting that I wanted to say (if that's possible, cause I've said a LOT tonight) - is it at all possible that in the DT series, Sara Laughs was purchased by SK and converted to Cara Laughs? :) Granted, the quote above was attributed at Cullum's cabin, but still. :)

Okay, that is more than enough - I am waiting to drive downtown to get my son and a friend from a concert, but it sure did give me a lot of TYPING time, like I need it. ;)

Lin
  • I'd forgotten that Lin, for Randall Flagg to be such a bad guy for so long it seemed like Mordred got him so easily.

At first I didn't like the spider for Mordred but then when he could switch back and forth it made more sense and worked well in the latter part of the book.

Mordred was a sad being, especially when he was watching and listening and seeing how the others took care of each other and there was no one to take care of him. But of course that was his own fault not only did he eat the hand of the person who should have fed him.......
  • Just finished DTVII this morning, and have to rave about it a bit. I can't talk about the ending yet; maybe later. :-/

I loved this book.

Firstly, there was a lot of fine storytelling to enjoy. King had a lot of threads to wrap up, and he knuckled down and got to the job. DTVII felt like two-and-a-half regular DT volumes' worth of plot, and a hefty helping of suspense and characterization to boot.

Not much to say about the first two parts - the reunion of the ka-tet and the resolution of the Breakers sub-plot were fine, fine, fine. Sure, there are some things I didn't like about what happened, but that doesn't make them wrong. ;D

I'm not so taken about the middle part concerning King, the Rose and the Tet Corporation. Part of that is that King's inclusion of his accident seemed a little self-indulgent. Also, I guess I never really worked out what role King and the Rose have in the larger scheme of things, so I didn't quite buy the urgent need for King to be saved - and for Jake to die - because of that. But apart from its basic premise, there's still some great writing and characterization in this part, so I have no strong complaints.

The last two parts with Roland, Susannah and Oy soared, in my opinion. In a way, this was the second half of DTIII, in that a lot of it had the same "ka-tet on a quest" feel to it. I think King is at his storytelling best when Roland is working his way towards the Tower in the most literal sense, encountering strange lands and fighting weird beasties. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel that King has a great clarity of purpose in his writing. I was very glad to see that King hadn't forgotten about Patrick Danville, either. His use of Patrick's drawing talent as a weapon was just brilliant.

I have a few nitpicks about the book - King has a frustrating habit of building up a bad guy over many, many pages and then killing him off in a couple - but in general, this may be my favourite volume of the series ...

... even if I still can't talk about the ending.

HBJ,

making up for a few weeks of (relative) silence.
  • I like how we get to see the CK without his glammer. Remember, his breakers were freed and he smashed his most powerful talismans, the 6 pieces of the Wizard's Glass, in a rage.
  • Dem, :), I can admit this now that I'm done, but when Roland and Patrick were behind the pyramid as the CK through his "sneetches", I had this vision of the Charlie Brown cartoon adult where all you could hear was "blah, blah, blah" as Patrick commenced "erasing" him. :)

I wondered about Roland's ability to hit the sneetches so accurately - it suits with Bev's "looping" theory, that he may have "practiced" before.

Lin
  • Ha ha, that's funny! I like the image- seems relevant to a series where all of the pop culture cluttering up SK's brain is used as part of the story.
  • I wondered about Roland's ability to hit the sneetches so accurately - it suits with Bev's "looping" theory, that he may have "practiced" before.

I see it more as, he is just really good with his guns.
  • I assumed Dandelo was Leland Gaunt from 'Needful Things'. They both seemed to feed off emotions, warp people's perceptions, and change form. Also, Gaunt's "car" (which was actually a monster or something) seemed a lot like Dandelo's horse, which poisoned Mordred when he ate it.

Maybe not.