Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

Comments

• I don't know that there's a right or wrong answer here. Some collectors may differ.
  • I went to my closest Barnes & Noble yesterday to get Joyland, Tin House (with King's "Afterlife") and Ghost Brothers. I got the first two, but Ghost Brothers had not come in yet. Because the store is a 30-minute drive, I'll just have to wait a while.

John
  • I downloaded the digital version for iPad this weekend. I was notified by Amazon this morning that my hardcover edition is on the way.
  • My hardcover edition just arrived!

Overall I'm happy with this edition - gorgeous sleeve to hold the book, which is a soft, dark brown pebble that looks like a photo album.  Wish it was hard cover too though.

The major knock I have is the discs are stored in cut out pockets on the inside of the back cover.  Would have much preferred jewel cases. A matter of preference. 

Bev, you'll have to let us know what the digital version has that the book does not.

The book is much larger than I expected, it's 11 x 11 inches - thought it would be more disc sized - which is great because it makes reading the Libretto so much easier with the larger text.

All in all a very nice package.

Now off to listening!
  • I should get mine in a day or two. I'll be sure to compare. Does the DVD have the digital version of the libretto?
  • Yes it does.

Another thing - there is no full audio version of the entire play ie music and libretto. The second CD only includes snippets of the libretto. Was really hoping that would have been included on the DVD.

On the plus side, the songs have really grown on me with each listen.
  • The original plan was to reproduce the entire play in dialog, like a radio drama. I'm not sure why that plan didn't transpire. The play has changed quite a bit since the recording was done and that version of the libretto printed -- I have an article coming up in FEARnet that talks about some of the differences. There are songs on the CD that aren't in the play, and vice versa.

Does the digital libretto have things embedded? Like the video for "Truth"?
  • I discuss the iBooks version in my new FEARnet essay: Stephen King’s Enhanced eBooks
  • 0720331A132C2B26202B31450 wrote:

The original plan was to reproduce the entire play in dialog, like a radio drama.

Does the digital libretto have things embedded? Like the video for "Truth"?

No it does not. The Truth video is playable from the Main Menu.

I was really hoping for the radio drama. There is only about 1 GB of data on the DVD - which can hold over 4 GB. That's a lot of unused space.

• I'm not sure what happened to the full libretto recording idea -- whether they recorded it and decided not to use it or if they never got around to recording the whole thing.
  • 1D3E240E022825223C30510 wrote: The book is much larger than I expected, it's 11 x 11 inches

It reminds me of a vinyl LP, for anyone old enough to remember what those are!
  • Yes on both counts.
  • The long-in-development John Mellencamp/Stephen King/T. Bone Burnett horror musical "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" now has a cast for its tour, which will be launching at IU Auditorium Oct. 10.

Highest profile among them: Emily Skinner, Tony-award nominee for "Side Show" and a star of "The Full Monty" and "Billy Elliot." She'll star opposite Bruce Greenwood, who played Capt. Christopher Pike in the reboot "Star Trek" films. He also played U.S. presidents in both " Thirteen Days" and "National Treasure: Book of Secrets."

After launching in Bloomington, the show—revamped from its Altanta debut in 2012—will play 20 cities around the Midwest and Southeast, including Indy on Oct. 18 and a return to IU on Oct. 23.
  • Collins Center to bring Stephen King, John Mellencamp musical to its stage in November

Collins Center for the Arts Executive Director Danny Williams offered up a sneak preview of one of the shows to be included in the upcoming announcement of the center’s 2014-2015 season. The CCA will welcome the kickoff performance of the national tour of Stephen King and John Mellencamp’s musical “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” to its stage in early November.

Williams said the musical, with a libretto by King, music and lyrics by Mellencamp and production assistance from T-Bone Burnett, will hold technical rehearsals for the tour for the four or five days leading up to the two performances at the CCA. The first night of the show will be the CCA’s gala opening for this year’s season.

“It’s an incredibly exciting thing for us and for the region in general, as synonymous as we are with Stephen King,” said Williams. “We’re lucky enough to be the first stop on their national tour.”

“Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” is described as a “southern Gothic” musical, centering on two brothers who hate each other who are forced by their father to spend the night in a haunted cabin, where they are visited by the ghosts of two brothers who also hate each other. Mellencamp’s music draws on blues, country and rock, and King’s story brings in familiar elements of the supernatural and American family struggle.

The musical had its premiere at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta in April 2012, and had a 20-city tour of the Midwest and South in the fall of 2013. A soundtrack album featuring musicians including Sheryl Crow, Elvis Costello, Kris Kristofferson and Neko Case was released in June 2013. This tour will be the musical’s first national tour. Tickets and exact dates and showtimes for the Orono performances will be announced later this summer.
  • AEG Live announced today that the southern gothic, supernatural musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County will tour across North America this Fall. Written by celebrated suspense author Stephen King, with music by Grammy Award-winning John Mellencamp and produced by Grammy and Academy Award-winning T-Bone Burnett, the tour will hit 18 cities this fall.

Nov 8 Orono, ME Collins Center For The Arts 
    Nov 9 Orono, ME Collins Center For The Arts 
    Nov 11 Toronto, ON Massey Hall 
    Nov 13 Philadelphia, PA Merriam Theatre 
    Nov 14 Durham, NC Durham Performing Arts Center 
    Nov 15 Washington, DC Warner Theatre 
    Nov 16 Baltimore, MD Lyric Opera House 
    Nov 18 Red Bank, NJ Count Basie Theatre 
    Nov 20 Portland, ME Merrill Auditorium 
    Nov 21 Boston, MA Emerson Colonial Theatre 
    Nov 22 Providence, RI The VETS 
    Nov 24 New York, NY Beacon Theatre 
    Nov 26 Detroit, MI Fisher Theatre 
    Nov 28 Chicago, IL Chicago Oriental Theatre 
    Nov 29 St. Louis, MO Peabody Opera House 
    Dec 1 Denver, CO Temple Hoyne Buell Theatre 
    Dec 3 Phoenix, AZ Orpheum Theatre 
    Dec 4 Los Angeles, CA Saban Theatre 
    Dec 5 San Francisco, CA Curran Theatre
  • Darn - wished I lived near Toronto still.
  • The full cast for the southern gothic, supernatural musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, was announced today, with actor/writer/producer Billy Burke (The Twilight Saga) and actress/writer/singer Gina Gershon (Killer Joe, House of Versace, Boeing, Boeing) playing the lead roles of Joe McCandless and Monique McCandless respectively. Touring across North America this Fall, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County was written by best-selling author Stephen King, with music by Rock and Roll Hall of Famer John Mellencamp, and musical direction by Grammy Award-winning T Bone Burnett. The tour kicks off right outside Bangor, ME at the Collins Center For The Arts in Orono, ME, on November 8, before travelling through cities such as Toronto, Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles. Due to overwhelming demand a second show has been added in San Francisco on December 6th which is now the final date of the tour.

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County is a collaboration 16 years in the making, and blend of unique musical and staging styles. Throughout the production, the eerie blues ‘n’ roots music reveals the inner workings of the characters as opposed to just propelling the play’s narrative, with only a few songs directly advancing the plot. The haunting tale of fraternal love, lust, jealousy and revenge, begins with Joe McCandless reflecting on a past tragedy involving his two older brothers battling over a girl which ended in the unfortunate deaths of all three. Now with Joe as an adult and two boys of his own, he’s watching an all too familiar scenario play out before his eyes. With his sons at each other’s throats, Joe’s story will either save or destroy the McCandless family.

For ticketing information, please visit aeglive.com or http://www.ghostbrothersofdarklandcounty.com/.

• Broadway Licensing Developing New Version of Stephen King and John Mellencamp’s Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

The revised version of the musical will be available for stock and amateur licensing in 2019.

Broadway Licensing is working with Stephen King and John Mellencamp to develop a new version of their musical Ghost Brothers of Darkland County for worldwide licensing, which will be made available in 2019.

The Gothic southern musical, which premiered in 2012 at Atlanta's Alliance Theatre, explores a decades-old tragedy that haunts the population of a small town. Grammy winner Mellencamp (“Pink Houses,” “Jack and Diane,” “Small Town”) penned the score, while Carrie, Misery, and The Shining novelist King wrote the book.

A studio album of Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, recorded in 2010, was released from Hear Records/Concord Records Group. The musical also played a limited concert tour.

“This is terrific news. I loved working with John Mellencamp, and the ghostly result is one of my most proud accomplishments,” King said in a statement.

Mellencamp added, “When Steve and I decided to mount a musical… neither of us knew what we were doing. We learned on the job. I have never had so much fun or laughed so hard in my life.”
  • West Virginia Public Theatre is kicking off its summer season working with Broadway Licensing on Stephen King and John Mellencamp’s developing haunting musical, Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, directed by two-time Tony award-winner Jeff Calhoun.

The Gothic southern musical about a decades-old tragedy that haunts the population of a small town has a roots-rock score by Grammy winner Mellencamp, (“Pink Houses”, “Jack and Diane”, “Small Town”) and a book by CarrieMisery and The Shining – Master of Horror novelist King. It premiered in a full stage production in 2012 at the Alliance Theatre in Atlanta, GA.

The development reading will take place on April 23rd at 7:30 P.M in the Gladys Davis Theatre in the Canady Creative Arts Center. It will be free for the public to attend, however, due to the large expected audience turnout, this event will be ticketed through Eventbrite here: Ghost Brothers of Darkland County tickets.

>>> Source

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • This deserved more stage time. This deserved to go bigger. I was absolutely mesmerized by the whole thing and got to take a backstage tour of all the elements.  The after party was electric.  And i have that deluxe edition  recording thingy.  I should get rid of it. I wonder if it’s worth anything?  
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • You can still buy it on Amazon for $20
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben