Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Dark Tower movie developments

Comments

• WOOHOO! NewYorkPost reports Javier Bardem is Roland in Film & TV adaptation of Stephen King's - The Dark Tower - http://tinyurl.com/3kxbvds
  • Javier Bardem has officially signed an epic deal to star in the movie and TV adaptations of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" book series. The Oscar-winning actor will play Roland Deschain in the eagerly awaited Ron Howard and Brian Grazer adaptation of King's beloved seven-novel saga. It's a momentous deal because each of the three movies in the series is to be followed by a TV miniseries. A well-placed source confirmed to Page Six, "Bardem has signed on to the first movie and the miniseries, but the intention is that he will star in all three movies and each of the TV series. It's an enormous deal for any actor, but Bardem was always the first choice." The story follows "Gunslinger" Deschain as he travels through an Old West-like landscape in search of the mythical Dark Tower to save civilization. The first movie is expected to go into production in September with Howard directing.
  • Here's an updated report from Hollywood Reporter
  • Ron Howard got on the phone with EW.com yesterday ... about The Dark Tower, the feature film and TV miniseries that Howard is planning to adapt from the epic Stephen King series of sci-fi/fantasy novels about a roaming alternate-universe cowboy named Gunslinger.

“We had to pull back to our September start date due to budget delays and ongoing story development and logistical issues, but Dark Tower is moving forward,” Howard said. “We’re thinking of starting in early spring now. I can’t really say who’ll be in it yet, but Javier Bardem has shown a great deal of interest. We’ll know by the end of the summer, when our flashing green light goes solid.” The project would start with a feature film, followed by six hours of TV content, starring the same actors as in the movie. “There are elements of the Dark Tower saga that are more personal and can be best dealt with on television,” Howard continued. “TV allows you to roll out details of the characters in a more methodical way.”

>>> Entertainment Weekly
  • Fingers still crossed.
  • Q&A: Brian Grazer And Ron Howard On 25 Years Together As Imagine Partner

The good bits:

DEADLINE: You’ll soon know their capacity for risk taking when you find out if Universal will make The Dark Tower, whose trilogy and TV components make it the most ambitious project a studio has attempted since The Lord of the Rings. How important is it for a couple of guys who’ve been together for 25 years to take big swings?

HOWARD: If you’re not out there taking some risks, if you’re just coasting along with your wins, then you’re not really trying. But we never take risk for risk’s sake. The Dark Tower seemed like such a good idea to both of us that it became impossible not to try it. It’s impossible to live with ourselves if we don’t take the swing.

DEADLINE: Why does Dark Tower warrant three movies and two TV series in between?

HOWARD: The universe Steve King created is so dimensional and creative. It blends scope, sweep, and adventure with some very personal compelling stories. We could have tried to force all of it into one or two or three movies. It became clear to me that the medium of TV has become so bold and cool, we could use it to our advantage creatively and really fulfill the possibilities of this universe of characters King gave us to work with. We can use the intimacy of television when that’s appropriate, and the scope and scale of the big screen with the bigger fantasy ideas. We discovered elements that would probably never have a home either on the big screen or on TV, but would make fantastic narrative gaming opportunities that won’t rehash the movies or TV, but have its own material borne out of the books and graphic novels. We’ve got gaming designers and there is enthusiasm for that. It’s a way to use all the mediums at our disposal to try to fulfill what’s possible. Universal sees this as an asset that can benefit the company in a lot of different ways.

DEADLINE: Still, there were rumors last month that Universal might let The Dark Tower go. That hasn’t happened but they did push the start date to early next year. Why has it been so hard to get underway?

HOWARD: The first version represented a bold attempt to fast track, because of weather concerns. It was a little more dramatic to people on the outside than to us. We’d have liked to move forward on that fast track, but it was always Phase One. There was an understanding that if we couldn’t answer all the questions in a way that made sense to all the partners involved, then we would operate on a slightly more traditional timetable. Even if we go in March, that’s still moving quickly for something of this scale.

DEADLINE: You’ve been asked to bring down the budget. By how much?

GRAZER: I’m producing it with Akiva Goldsman, who wrote it to be sensitive to cost and is rewriting it to be more so. Without putting a number on it, the cuts aren’t that deep or that radical.

DEADLINE: Is Javier Bardem set to play the main gunslinger Roland Deschains?

HOWARD: Nobody is pay or play but he has said he wants to do it. We’ve spent a lot of time together. He’s fascinated by the character and has great instincts for Roland. I’m hoping when we go, he’s available and will join us.
  • Keeping my fingers crossed until they actually start shooting.
  • Universal Passes on The Dark Tower

Oh, sweet HBO.... please step up.

• Here are reports from Entertainment Weekly, Hollywood Reporter and Variety.

"No financier has officially signed on to the project, but Warner Bros. could be a likely option since the studio is home to Goldsman's Weed Road Pictures shingle."
  • With the news that Universal has canceled its planned film-and-TV adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower book series, the author tells EW.com that he’s still optimistic that director Ron Howard will find a home for Roland the Gunslinger on the big (and/or small) screen. “I’m sorry Universal passed, but not really surprised,” he writes in an email. “As a rule, they’ve been about smaller and less risky pix; maybe they feel it would be better to stick with those fast and furious racing boys. I bear them no ill will, and trust Ron Howard to get Roland and his friends before the camera somewhere else. He’s very committed to the project.”

>>> Entertainment Weekly
  • Ron Howard and Brian Grazer’s much-anticipated “Dark Tower” project isn’t dead yet, despite Universal’s cancellation last month of the ambitious screen adaptation of Stephen King’s opus, planned to be three movies and a spin-off TV series. Producer Grazer tells us that despite Universal’s refusal to commit to the sweeping project, director Howard isn’t giving up and is now “trying to get outside financing to make it, and distribute it through a major [studio].” Grazer said they also planned to go ahead with the TV spin-offs of the horror Western fantasies, but through other networks or even Netflix. But the epic “Tower” project, which still has Javier Bardem attached to star as the gunslinger Roland Deschain, will have to be put off until at least next year. Grazer added: “Ron is now going to be working on the Formula One racing movie ‘Rush’ about Niki Lauda, so the soonest we could do it would be June next year.” Grazer, meanwhile, is working on the Hoover biopic “J. Edgar” starring Leo DiCaprio.

>>> Source: NY Post
  • Grazer also took time to comment on the state of the much-discussed "Dark Tower" adaptation, which was slated for a multiplatform treatment covering film and television but ran into trouble with its large budget.

"When people say no to you enough, you have to lose money, which we've done without harming the scope of the film," Grazer explained.

News recently hit the Web that the production had cut $45 million from the budget, and Grazer confirmed that figure, saying that the plan for both the TV and film versions still stands.

"We'll do the TV [version] with HBO," Grazer said, adding that the film versions have not yet found a studio home. But Grazer assured fans, saying, "We'll do it right."

>>> Source
  • The long and twisty journey continues......
  • Yeah. I wouldn't mind if they'd switch the whole project to HBO. I don't subscribe, but that would be enough to get me to!
  • I just hope the "satisfying ending" means that Roland has the Horn of Eld this time around. I've always thought that any movie version should be a "sequel" of sorts to the books in that in the movie version he has the horn.
  • I don't think they would do that -- that plays primarily to fans of the series and that's too narrow a focus. I think they have to adapt the original story.
  • Hollywood Reporter: What’s the future of Dark Tower?

Ron Howard: We are continuing to work on the script to find ways to make the budget more manageable and still deliver the work in a way that the project deserves. We were always racing and fast-tracking the project, so I always wince when I see something written about it and there’s a release date in there. These kinds of projects often take years to come together in the right ways. But I am in love with the material, and the minute it can come together in the right way, I am fully committed to it.
  • Yep -- encouraging news.
  • Ron Howard tweeted this today: Spent day today in a story session on...Dark Tower :-)

Terrific meeting w/ Akiva Goldsman & Erica Huggins

No timetables but very positive
  • Great to see he is still pursuing it.
  • Warner Bros Has ‘Dark Tower’ Decision Looming: And Russell Crowe Is In The Mix

I’m told that Warner Bros is getting a new script from Akiva Goldsman for the first installment of Stephen King’s mammoth Western The Dark Tower, and that within two weeks, the studio will be making a decision on whether to green light the first leg of one of the most daring and ambitious projects to come along since The Lord Of The Rings. And here is a new wrinkle to add to the mix. Javier Bardem is no longer in the mix as gunslinger Roland Deschain. I’m told that director Ron Howard and producers Brian Grazer and Goldsman have been talking with their A Beautiful Mind star Russell Crowe about playing Deschain. While there is no deal with Crowe, that is the star that Warner Bros will be evaluating as the studio decides on whether to take a leap on a nine-volume book that has a huge following, with Howard, King and their partners planning a multi-platform presentation that could be unforgettable. The story will be told through three films and two limited run TV series.

The Dark Tower is about the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers, with Deschain becoming humanity’s last hope to save civilization as he hits the road to find the Dark Tower. Along the way, he encounters characters, good and bad, in a world that has an Old West feel. When I last wrote about this, Universal had dropped out and Warner Bros had sparked to the idea of taking on this franchise, possibly with HBO handling the TV component that would bridge the the first and second feature films, with another limited run TV series to follow. Given HBO’s adventurous forays into fantasy with Game of Thrones, it seems like the ideal venue.

If Crowe stepped up as the gunslinger, it would certainly help the project. He has clearly gotten back into the leading man game where he was when making films like Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind. Crowe played a big role of Jor-El in Warner Bros’s Man of Steel relaunch of the Superman franchise, and he is currently playing the title Biblical hero in the Darren Aronofsky-directed Noah for New Regency and Paramount. We’ll know soon if that regurgence takes him into an Old West fantasy, courtesy of what King has called his answer to JRR Tolkien’s The Lord Of The Rings trilogy.
  • The question I have is Crowe's temperament - can he handle the long haul this project entails without losing his cool at some point?

Do think he is a good choice for the role.