Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Dark Tower movie developments

Comments

• Can't wait to see his ideas!
  • Fran Kranz will be joined Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey in Sony's The Dark Tower. Kranz will be playing Pimli, the right hand man of the Man in Black.

Sony declined to comment on the casting.

>>> Source
  • Quint chats with Anders Thomas Jensen about writing The Dark Tower
  • edited April 2016
    Quint: When I was in Middle School I vividly remember walking into the school library and checking out a book that had a huge impact on me. That book was The Gunslinger and I became a huge Dark Tower nerd at that moment. So, I have to bring up The Dark Tower. I won't press you for spoilers or anything...

Anders Thomas Jensen: The good thing is I really can't say anything, but I can try to answer as best I can.

Quint: I'd just like to know what you felt the greatest challenge you faced was when you came to the project.

Anders Thomas Jensen: There was a draft there, with a structure. For me it was the director asking me if I would do a pass on it and restructure it. I didn't know The Dark Tower series. It's funny. The Dark Tower is huge and iconic here in the States, but in Europe it's not. A lot of people don't even know the Dark Tower.

So first of all I had to sit down and read it. I was, of course, blown away by the universe. I think the greatest challenge was to get the scale of the universe. It's insane! So, some work needed to be done and I jumped on board and did the work together with the director. It's a very boring answer.

Quint: It's funny that you say Dark Tower is so big here. It's getting to be that way, I think largely because of Marvel doing their Dark Tower comics, but when I was growing up reading these things nobody knew of them. Some Stephen King fans never bothered to read them. It wasn't mainstream and probably still isn't, but the fandom grew hugely in the last four or five years. It's coming to Europe, is what I'm saying.

Anders Thomas Jensen: (laughs) It is, definitely.

Quint: You're so good at making weird characters work onscreen, I think that is what gave me some hope when I heard you were doing a pass at the script. The Roland/Jake relationship between Roland and Jake is the heart of that story just as much as the relationship between David and Mads' characters are the heart of Men & Chicken.

Anders Thomas Jensen: Yeah, exactly. That's a huge part of the draft. I mean, you know that there's so many stories you could do from these books. It's a lot about making the right choices. I can see some of the choices are already (riling people up on the) internet with opinions on the casting. I don't think you can make a Dark Tower film and make everybody happy, but we at least have tried to make a good film.

They're shooting now. They're a week into shooting, so it's going.

Quint: I think we should finish by talking about the difference between working for hire on a quick rewrite versus something as involving and personal as Men & Chicken. How different is the process of working on one kind of project from the other?

Anders Thomas Jensen: It's two different things. I like the synergy between doing my own stuff and then jumping on to help with other director's stories. It gives me energy in the other camp, if you know what I mean. In the studio system there's many more voices that you have to hear in comparison to (Men & Chicken) where you're basically you, your producer and some actors. Here you have to be diplomat. There's so many other aspects of being a screenwriter, but it's nice.

Basically, what it all comes down to you when you put all things aside, it is the same. It's about telling a great story, making the characters work and creating a strong structure. You just have to focus on that, no matter which process you're in. That's the truth of it.

Quint: Creativity is creativity, man, and I really like your brand of creativity, so I'm very excited to see how that translates to this big, crazy Stephen King-y world.
  • Will ‘The Dark Tower’ film in NYC soon?

Currently, The Dark Tower is shooting in South Africa, where it was thought the entire movie would be filmed. But, after reviewing the NYC Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment’s latest directory of “Current Productions”, we see The Dark Tower has made the list.
  • The Dark Tower Adds Avengers: Age Of Ultron's Claudia Kim

The Tracking Board is reporting that Claudia Kim (7th Grade Civil Servant, Marco Polo) has joined the cast of the feature film adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

Kim, 31, is expected to play Arra Champignon, the kind-hearted, pregnant wife of Charles Champignon. The couple are ambushed by Farson's men, and she ends up getting raped, murdered and having her baby cut from her womb, all while her husband is forced to watch.

The South Korean actress made her Hollywood debut in Marvel's Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), playing Dr. Helen Cho, the world-renowned geneticist mind-controlled by Ultron to build Vision.
  • The man in black followed Roland to South Africa: Matthew McConaughey and family arrive in South Africa
  • edited May 2016

The Dark Tower is close, now. The Crimson King awaits. Soon Roland will raise the Horn of Eld. And blow. image

— Stephen King (@StephenKing) May 19, 2016
  • Elba looks damn good in gunslinger gear. 

Man, I constantly pinch myself that Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey are appearing together in a Stephen King Movie!
  • @McConaughey: Want to come walk the red carpet at the premiere of #TheDarkTower? Find out how here: http://bit.ly/1TWp47X
  • edited June 2016

I am Roland, son of Steven, son of Henry, true descendant of Arthur. And I have not forgotten. #TheDarkTowerMovie image

— Idris Elba (@idriselba) June 19, 2016

• image\

Stephen King fans know – there are other worlds than these.

In Entertainment Weekly’s new Comic-Con cover, we’re venturing into the heart of the mythic structure that binds this multiverse together – delivering an exclusive look at the long-awaited film adaptation of King’s The Dark Tower.

We spent a week on the set in Cape Town, South Africa, watching as this genre mash-up of sci-fi, fantasy, horror, Westerns, and old-fashioned mythology came together. Now, we’re opening the door to this other realm for fans to step through.

The saga spans eight novels (so far), assorted short stories and comic books, and has played out over three and a half decades. The new movie picks elements from throughout these writings to assemble a new take on the story of Roland the Gunslinger (Idris Elba) and his pursuit of the sorcerer known as the Man in Black (Matthew McConaughey), who intends to collapse the tower and rule the ruins and chaos alongside a sinister force known as the Crimson King.

SEE ALSO

For those new to the epic tale, this issue will serve as a trusty primer to guide you through the devastated territory of Mid-World, a place that has “moved on,” where the apocalypse has already struck in its march toward our own.

King’s readers have invested years of their lives following the quest of Roland and his “ka-tet” (or fate-forged family), so while anticipation is high for the Feb. 17 film, anxiety among fans is also intense. There’s pressure to get this story right, even as the filmmakers say they had to change key elements to make the premise work as a film. This issue will provide the first details about how they deconstructed the Tower in the hope of building a whole other cinematic universe from it’s pieces.

Here’s what you’ll find inside:

• Exclusive photos, showing the vast plains of Mid-World, the shadowy Dixie Pig hideaway of the demons who infest our world, and the visions of a boy named Jake Chambers (Tom Holloway) who is either the key to saving the mythic Tower or the instrument of its destruction.
    • Revelations from director Nikolaj Arcel (the Oscar-nominated A Royal Affair, and one of King’s lifelong Constant Readers) about where the story picks up, which elements from the novels are being explored – and which are being left out.
    • Elba on the redemption story of Roland, who has “forgotten the face of his father” (or lost his way) in his relentless pursuit of the Man in Black. The actor also comments for the first time about race-swapping the Gunslinger, who until now has always been depicted as white.
    • McConaughey on the loneliness of evil, the reasons his villain “reveres” the hero chasing him, and why The Man in Black has taken a real shine to present-day New York City.
    • Finally, as an extra treat, King himself weighs in on the film, explains what he asked to change in the script, and provides new insight into how the Tower saga connects to some of his other books, like The ShiningThe Stand, and one long-ago short story.

For King fans, we also have another sneak peak at a separate new film adaptation: a shadowy look at the new version of Pennywise the Clown from next year’s It.

Over the next week, we’ll also be releasing exclusive bonus stories about The Dark Tower on EW.com. So keep a beady, glaring eye out for those.

In addition to The Dark Tower, the Comic-Con issue features a deep dive into the films and TV shows headlining next week’s San Diego’s Comic-Con, including Wonder Woman, the upcoming sequel to Blade RunnerKong: Skull Island, and much, much more. Pick up the issue here or on newsstands Friday.

Coming up later Thurdsay on EW.com, with new images from the film:

- Roland the Gunslinger’s aim is true: An exclusive Q&A with Idris Elba.

- The Man in Black speaks: Matthew McConaughey carries the flag for chaos and destruction.

- What’s changing from Stephen King’s books, and what’s staying the same.

• edited July 2016
    Soo Hyun to play female lead opposite Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba in Stephen King movie

apparently she's also known as Claudia Kim and will play Arra Champignon
  • The Dark Tower TV Show Alive And Well: The Ambitious Movie-And-TV Plan