Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Gunslinger Born

edited February 2007 in Dark Tower
This thread got corrupted. I'm going to attempt to reconstitute it from the logs.

Comments

• Bev_Vincent Check out your local comic shop tomorrow to see if they have copies of the Jae Lee Gunslinger sketchbook.

This was posted at tdt.net earlier today:

Hunchback Jack That. Looks. Amazing.

(and fairly creepy)

HBJ.

Lou_Sytsma Wow! Very cool! 8-)

Bev_Vincent "DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #2 (of 7)

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH

Pencils and Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Roland has incurred the wrath of the evil sorcerer Marten, and must flee his home in Gilead with two of his young friends. But arriving in the supposedly friendly town of Hambry may be no safer, for the dreaded agents of Marten are abroad—The Coffin Hunters! Though it’s not all completely bleak as Roland meets the woman who will become the love of his young life—the beautiful Susan Delgado. Plus: Learn more about the land of the Dark Tower with exclusive bonus material!

48 PGS./CARDSTOCK COVER/Parental Advisory …$3.99"

Lou_Sytsma "Picked up a copy of the sketch book on the way home. Beautiful drawings and the character sketch for Jonas Eldred is top notch! OTOH the one for Alain Johnson with his furry chaps looks like something out of Blazing Saddles.

There is a drawing of young Roland, the morning after he bests Cort I believe, where his father is standing over him that looks amazing as well.

The sequence showing how the digital painting is done is excellent too.

Can't wait for the first installment in February! 8-)" 1166059551 Lou_Sytsma

Bev_Vincent "World Fantasy Award-winning writer Stephen King, long acknowledged as the master of modern horror, will appear as a Guest of Honor at New York Comic Con taking place February 23-25, 2007. King will join a special panel hosted by Joe Quesada, Editor In Chi"

Bev_Vincent The Dark Tower Blog at Marvel

Bev_Vincent Dark Tower looms in graphic form

King's Q&A with USA Today

Each article has different artwork samples.

Bev_Vincent "To tease you to the USA site, here's one of the images:

"

Lilja And here is a trailer for the mag.

Lilja

TheHade
    Lilja wrote: And here is a trailer for the mag.

Lilja

How can this trailer be downloaded? :-?

Bev_Vincent "It's not meant to be downloaded, merely viewed."

notchristopher "I'm trying to figure out a way to get them all from online shops and I was looking at this site:

http://www.silverbulletcomics.com/shop/

There are 3 different versions of the first issue, and a signed copy correct? This site has them listed as:

Dark Tower Gunslinger Born Quesada Var (#1) 31.49

Dark Tower Gunslinger Born Jae Lee Sketch Var (#1) 89.99

Dark Tower Gunslinger Born (#1) 3.59

Are those correct prices? Or are just jacking them up cause of the rarity? I've seen the signed for only ~$30.

"

Bev_Vincent "I don't believe that there are fixed prices for the other versions. Whatever the shopkeeper wants to set the price at is up to them.

By the way, there's an update at the Marvel DT blog site today."

Bev_Vincent [Peter] David's Kingly task

Peter David unleashes his inner Stephen King fanboy to discuss rescripting Dark Tower as a comic book

Bev_Vincent "I group called Dead Issue has a song called The Last Gunslinger inspired by Roland on their MySpace page. I haven't listened to it yet, but I thought I would pass this along."

notchristopher "
    Bev_Vincent wrote: I group called Dead Issue has a song called The Last Gunslinger inspired by Roland on their MySpace page. I haven't listened to it yet, but I thought I would pass this along.

Don't listen to it..."

Bev_Vincent Some new goodies at Marvel: A Dark Tower screensaver and a new entry on the DT blog with maps.

Bev_Vincent "Richard Isanove, the colorist of The Gunslinger Born, will be signing copies of the comic book for those who can't meet him at New York Comic Con in February. It will be through The Signed Page at http://www.signedpage.com. "

Bev_Vincent New interview with Peter David and cover art from issue 3

Bev_Vincent Entering the Dark Tower II: Jae Lee

• Bev_Vincent Entering the Dark Tower III: Richard Isanove

Lou_Sytsma This is looking real good. Can't wait to grab the first issue.

Bev_Vincent "The premiere issue of Stephen King’s Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born is almost here and Marvel is pleased to announce two variant covers by Marvel Editor-In-Chief Joe Quesada and series artist, Eisner Award-winning Jae Lee!

Jae Lee cover: [img"

Bev_Vincent Another interview with Peter David.

Bev_Vincent "Issue 1 of the series is at the printers.

Peter David and Jae Lee will sign The Gunslinger Born #1 at Midtown Comics at midnight on February 6th at Times Square.

Nicole Boose has a new entry in her Marvel blog, The Error That Almost Was. "

Bev_Vincent "
    As if the premiere of this new comic series wasn’t enough, the first issue is jam-packed with extras and supplemental materials—including an exclusive prose short story written by Robin Furth! In addition to 31 pages of story by the main team of Robin Furth, Peter David, Jae Lee, and Richard Isanove, the issue boasts a map of New Canaan, a preview of issue #2 and an exclusive story of Roland and his friends as they learn how their worlds came into being-- all accompanied with spot-illustrations by Jim Calafiore and June Chung.

Weighing in at 48 pages, this first issue features all content, with no outside advertising, and the kind of features Dark Tower fans will not want to miss. Stephen King’s Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #1 is a unique experience for fans of King, the Dark Tower, and comics. Do not miss this instant classic!

"

Bev_Vincent "To celebrate the launch of the ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from Stephen King’s magnum opus, The Dark Tower, Marvel Comics will offer a first-ever midnight release of The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #1 the night of Tuesday, February 6"

Bev_Vincent Part II of interview with Peter David

Bev_Vincent "New York Comic Con to launch podcast

In a significant development that will transform it into a year-round national event, New York Comic Con (NYCC) has announced that it will launch an audio and video podcast available free to the general pub" 1169512901 Bev_Vincent

Bev_Vincent "DARK TOWER" WITH ROBIN FURTH & MARVEL EDITORS

CBR News participated this afternoon in a press conference held by Marvel Comics to discuss Stephen King's “The

Bev_Vincent Entering the Dark Tower IV: Robin Furth interview

Bev_Vincent "Every week comic book fans look forward to Wednesdays, the day new issues go on sale. On Feb. 7, one of those comics will be the first issue of a new seven-part series based on the Stephen King novel “The Dark Tower,” from Marvel Entertainment. To commemorate the event, almost 150 comic book retailers across the country will begin selling the issue at the stroke of midnight. A list of participating stores can be found at www.marvel.com/news/comicstories. Fans who flock to Midtown Comics in Manhattan will see a couple of special guests: Peter David, who writes the dialogue for the series, and Jae Lee, the book’s artist. The store will open for one hour.

"

Bev_Vincent "In advance of the big release, Silver Bullet Comics' podcast guru Tim Beeman introduces a Marvel conference call featuring the co-writer of The Dark Tower series, Stephen King expert Robin" 1170166904 Bev_Vincent

Bev_Vincent "
    The English version of The Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #1 is available to retailers around the world, but the retailer must have already ordered copies. If your local comic book dealer hasn't ordered it, your best bet may be to search out U.S. retailers that ship internationally.

The foreign translated version deals are being worked through now and when we have more information we will let you know in which languages and territories they will available.
    "

Bev_Vincent A review 1170341138 Bev_Vincent

Lou_Sytsma Thanks for the link Bev. Sounds very promising.

Bev_Vincent Another review

Bev_Vincent "LA TIMES:

STEPHEN KING's "The Dark Tower," a magnum opus about a haunted gunslinger on a quest for a mysterious spire, stretched out over 22 years, seven novels and a staggering 4,272 pages of eerie adventure.

But here's th"

Lou_Sytsma I picked up the Marve Spotlight Dark Tower issue and this is going to be one beautiful looking series. Great issue with interviews with all the principals and a letter from Stephen king himself. Well worth the purchase.

Bev_Vincent Jae Lee takes the T.M.I. quiz
  • Bev_Vincent "Leave Harry Potter and Lemony Snicket parties for the kids. It's time for a midnight bash with Stephen King.

On Tuesday night, comic book and literature fans across the country will celebrate the first midnight release of a comic book: King's &"

Bev_Vincent The midnight release of Stephen King’s Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #1 at nearly 150 retailers across the country is almost here and Marvel wishes all of the retailers participating the best of luck. Marvel is equally as excited as all the retailers an

Bev_Vincent "The first Stephen King comic book will not be out until Wednesday, but eager King fans are expected to line up across the country to buy the comic at special midnight sales.  

Sports 'N More, 7349 Lake Shore Blvd., Mentor, is the only comic shop"

Bev_Vincent Quint reviews #1 at AICN

Bev_Vincent A new entry at the Marvel Blog

Lou_Sytsma Picking my issue up after work today. 8-)

notdarkyet "can anyone confirm if the issues are just numbered or if they have titles as well?  i ask because at one point, shortly after the series was announced, i was in correspondence with someone high up at Marvel (b/c of research for my Stephen King books).  they supplied me with 6 titles for the issues, but since then, it has been upped to 7 issues and they don't appear to have titles from looking at the cover.  any help from someone who has the first issue would be greatly appreciated.

-justin"

Bev_Vincent "The issues have no individal titles. The cover says "1 of 7"  

The copyright information says "Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born No. 1, April 2007."

Lou_Sytsma Very nice issue.  Lots of reading material too!  But its been awhile since I bought a comic book - $5.41 Cdn!  That is paperback book territory.

Bev_Vincent "Midnight Opening at Earth 2. A nice long report, with pictures."

Bev_Vincent "Richmond's Velocity Comics -- another midnight opening, and a convert to the DT world."

Bev_Vincent "Peter David on Portland (ME) WCSH channel 6

Tonight at 7 PM: Our conversation with Award-winning Marvel Comics writer Peter David on Stephen King's Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #1. We're getting ready for the 14th annual Chili and Chowder Challenge in the 207 Kitchen with Chili from Federal Jack's. And Don Campbell plays live in our studios.

Casablanca Comics proudly presents Marvel Comics writer Peter David on Friday, February 9th from 3-6 PM at Casablanca Comics in Portland.

Mr. David will be signing copies of Stephen King's Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #1.

For more information on the event visit: http://www.casablancacomics.com/

For more information on the Peter David visit: http://www.peterdavid.net/

For more information on Dark Tower visit: http://www.marvel.com/darktower/"

Bev_Vincent "Look out, Spider-Man, here comes the Gunslinger. As if Stephen King didn't have enough fans, the EW columnist is tapping the comic-book market with The Dark Tower, a graphic adaptation of his epic fantasy-Western. The seven-issue series, drawn by Jae Lee "

Bev_Vincent Peter David's report on the midnight signing

Just got back from the midnight opening at Midtown Comics for the first issue of the Dark Tower series. It was a little odd to be taking the Long Island Ra

Bev_Vincent People who showed up in a frigid midnight hour earlier this week to buy the first issue of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series at a Falcon Heights store reflect the growing adult fan base for comic books and graphic novels.

By Bill War

Bev_Vincent "Peter David TV interview

Scroll down on the same page to see a Tabitha King interview, too."

Lou_Sytsma Great stuff.  The more I see of Tabitha the stronger my opinion of her as a straight shooter grows.

Bev_Vincent "DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #4 (of 7)

Creative and Executive Director STEPHEN KING

Art and Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Sketch Variant Cover by JAE LEE

Variant Cover by TBD

Young Roland Deschain seems willing to put his friends in deadly danger by staying in Hambry when his relationship with the beautiful Susan Delgado deepens. Meanwhile, the evil Marten Broadcloak’s agents—a.k.a. the Big Coffin Hunters—are zeroing in for the kill on Roland and his ka-tet. Another glimpse into the early years of the world of Stephen King’s masterpiece, The Dark Tower. Plus, as an added bonus, more special extras than you can sling a gun at!

48 PGS./Cardstock Cocer/Parental Advisory …$3.99  

• It may have been midnight and snowing, but a small store in Parkville was packed with people eagerly awaiting the release of a new comic.

The Collectors Corner, located on Harford Road in Parkville, was one of five Maryland stores that opened at midnight Feb. 7 for the release of Marvel Comic's "The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #1" based on a series of seven novels written by Stephen King over 25 years.

Part of the inspiration behind adapting a King novel was to entice people who have never read a comic before to try something new, said Randy Myers, who owns Collectors Corner.

"The idea behind the comic was getting people into them," Myers said.

The "Dark Tower" comics were written by Peter David and Robin Furth, with art and covers by Jae Lee and Richard Isanove. The second in the series will be released March 7.

Marvel decided on a midnight release similar to those held by major chain stores for books, such as "Harry Potter."

"To be honest, I thought it was kind of a goofy idea," Myers said.

But customers started calling about the comic two weeks before its release, and some even reserved copies in advance. Just minutes after midnight, two dozen people had purchased the comic, which cost $3.99.

Rosedale resident Stephanie Clark came to the late-night release, despite being fairly new to comics and never having read King's books.

"A midnight release has to be cool," said Clark, who left the store with a handful of comics, including "The Dark Tower."

Browsing the store's comic selection before the register opened at midnight, Kris Culotta of Abingdon and Jennifer Schlosser of Towson called themselves seasoned veterans of midnight releases.

Although Schlosser is a big fan of comics, Culotta -- in his first visit to Collectors Corner -- is more of a Stephen King fan.

But reading the Stephen King comic "is a pretty good segue" into a different medium, Culotta said.

"Stephen King is known for little bookstore things, so it's appropriate that (the comic) is here," said Culotta, who once traveled to a small bookstore in Connecticut to meet King. "You've got to support the local stores."

Collectors Corner, which opened in 2001, is one of the few comic book stores in the county.

Rows and rows of comic books with the familiar faces of Superman, Spider Man and Wolverine line the walls of the small store, which also sells comic book-related items, such as DVDs, graphic novels and action figures.

On Wednesdays, when new comics are released, the regulars come to the store to pick up the comics to which they subscribe. A number of the regulars subscribe to 10 or more series, Myers said.

Most of the store's customers are the typical demographic for comics -- 18- to 35-year-old men -- although a large number of women and children buy comics from the store, which even has a section of children's comics near the door.

• Finch variant cover for issue 2
  • I finally got a chance to read the Marvel Spotlight issue on the Dark Tower. A very nice little book, with a letter from King and interviews with Furth, Lee, Isanove and David. The Road to the Dark Tower gets two mentions, one in a sidebar about the series, and once in Peter David's interview (though he calls me Ben Vincent!).
  • Agent M's blogabout the midnight signing, with tons of pictures

Nicole Boose's most recent blog entry
  • Here is my review of issue 2 if anyone wants to check it out.

Lilja
  • From Comic Book Resources

Picking up from last issue's startling cliffhanger, Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #2 keeps the action going as well as gives readers their first glimpse at some of the epic's most popular- and important- characters.

Learn the fate of Roland and his ka-tet as they head East to avoid the scheming of Marten, fear the introduction of the deadly Big Coffin Hunters, and meet the young woman who will always be in Roland's heart- Susan. But it is the first terrifying glimpse of the deadly Crimson King that will truly haunt you after reading!

All of this, plus a map of the Barony of Mejis, a short story describing the creation of Maerlyn's Rainbow, and an open letter from the Master himself, Stephen King! Don't miss Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #2, on sale Wednesday, 3/7.
  • A review of #1 at PopMatters
  • Agreed, the artwork in this series has been superlative.
  • Issue 3 variant cover

• Another interview with SK about the Dark Tower comics.   Apparently issue #1 sold 200,000 copies.
  • The Gunslinger's Guidebook has been pushed back to August. Co-author Anthony Flamini posted this on the Marvel DT board: "Yeah, the Gunslinger's Guidebook was originally envisioned as a handbook focusing on Roland's Hambry adventure and everything that occurred prior to that. But as Robin Furth and I discussed things in greater detail, we decided that we also wanted to feature profiles on the all-new Mid-World characters who would be debuting for the first time in the comic adaptation following the Hambry story arc . . . characters such as the ferocious General Grissom (of the blue-faced barbarians). So that's the primary reason for the book's delay -- but you'll be getting a superior product packed with much more original content! The wait will be worth it!"
  • DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #5 (of 7)

Art and Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

Sketch Variant by JAE LEE

Just outside Hambry, Roland makes a monstrous discovery: The evil Farson and his Coffin Riders have stolen the awesome weapons of the Old Ones and now have the oil to power them and launch an attack against the Affiliation—a group which counts among its members Roland’s father, Stephen Deschain! And, at just the wrong time, the young gunslinger’s ka-tet may be splintering, when Cuthbert accuses Roland of cowardice and rides off on his own. Things are going sour in Mid-World, sai. All this plus a six-gun full of extras!
  • The cover for #5

• The first issue of The Gunslinger Born has been reprinted with a new Quesada cover. I don't know how frequently this happens in comic-dom.
  • The first chapter of Stephen King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower, arrived last month in graphic fiction form from Marvel Comics to great response across the country. Despite an incredibly healthy overprint, the demand for this issue has been greater than anticipated and the issue has sold out. But fear not, King fans, Marvel is pleased to announce that we will be going back to press on the first issue, with a brand new cover by Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada.

• Issue 3 review from Comic Book Resources
  • Issue 3 sketch cover: