Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Gunslinger Born

Comments

• Marvel is pleased to announce that Stephen King’s Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #2, the second issue of the highly publicized and acclaimed limited series, has sold out at Diamond. Telling the origin of Roland, the protagonist from Stephen King’s Dark Tower novels, readers and critics alike have thrilled to this milestone comic book series.

To meet demand for this issue, Marvel Comics is going back to print on Dark Tower #2 with an all new cover by Stuart Immonen!

Written by Robin Furth and Peter David, with involvement by the legendary Stephen King himself, this stunning tale is enthralling Dark Tower fans new and old. “Peter David’s script is slowly, deftly turning Robin Furth’s story plot into something that will no doubt fit nicely into King’s already established gunslinger mythology,” explained BrokenFrontier.Com’s Kert McAfee.

It’s not just the writing that’s causing excitement—the art team of Jae Lee and Richard Isanove are drawing rave reviews. “Jae Lee and Richard Isanove's art is stunningly gorgeous,” said Augie De Blieck of ComicBookResources.com. “Submit it to whatever comics award committee you wish to right now. It deserves an award or two.”

Note, Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #2 may still be available at the retailer level. Marvel advises that retailers check their orders for upcoming issues as Dark Tower continues to earn rave reviews and sell outs with each issue. And don’t forget to pick up #3, in stores now!

Plus, check out www.marvel.com/darktower for a cover gallery collecting all the gorgeous Dark Tower covers.

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #2 (of 7) SECOND PRINTING IMMONEN VARIANT (FEB078189)

Written by Peter David & Robin furth

Art by Jae Lee & Richard isanove

Cover by STUART IMMONEN

48 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

FOC - 4/26, On-Sale - 5/16/2007
  • DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #6 (of 7)

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH

Art and Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant Cover by GREG LAND

Sketch Variant by JAE LEE

The Affiliation, the group comprised of Roland’s father and his forces, are being lured into a fatal trap in the Shaved Mountains. With the Old Ones’ weapons fired up by Hambry’s oil, the Affiliation will be wiped out—unless Roland Deschain—the Gunslinger—can intercede in time! It’s a story of love and betrayal from the heart of Mid-World, in this, the penultimate chapter in the first act of Roland’s tale. Plus—all the extras Dark Tower fans have come to expect!

48 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99

©2007 Stephen King. All rights reserved

• Lilja reports the following schedule for the last three issues:

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #5: June 6

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #6: July 4

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #7: August 1
  • According to Publishers Weekly: Revenue in Marvel's publishing segment rose 15% in the first quarter, to $27.5 million, and operating income jumped 29%, to $11.5 million. Unit sales were up to both the bookstore and direct markets. The final two issues in the highly popular Civil War series and the first issues in the Dark Tower series drove the sales increase.
  • "DARK TOWER" #5 UPS THE ANTE FOR ROLAND!

by CBR News Team, Editor

Posted: May 17, 2007 —

Official Press Release

It’s been a wild four issues thus far, as young Roland Deschain has set down the path to become the Gunslinger of his dreams, and in Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #5 (of 7), our young hero faces his greatest challenge yet. The popular protagonist from Stephen King’s acclaimed Dark Tower series of novels must contend with the forces of evil amassing powerful weapons to be used for nefarious means…that may just cost Roland’s father his life! Written by Peter David and Robin Furth, with art by Jae Lee & Richard Isanove, Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born has become the series that the critics won’t stop raving about!

ComicsShouldBeGood’s Brian Cronin praised the “nuanced writing of Peter David” and said, “With the beautiful artwork of Jae Lee, it is almost like watching a stage play being performed for me, with the dialogue and the artwork mixing together wonderfully.”

PopSyndicate.Com called Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born “a book of undisputed quality” and praised the creative as “some of the best writing and artistic talent in the business.”

Troy Brownfield of Newsarama.Com exclaimed “David nails every inch of it” and praised the series’ “resoundingly” beautiful art, adding that it’s “career-defining work.”

For more information on Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born make sure to visit www.marvel.com/darktower and don’t miss the newest chapter of this hit series!

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #5 (of 7) (APR072274)

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH

Art and Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

Sketch Variant by JAE LEE

Parental Advisory …$3.99

©2007 Stephen King. All rights reserved

FOC—5/17/07, On Sale—6/06/07
  • Sketch and variant covers for issue #5 is now on my site.

Lilja

www.Liljas-Library.com
  • I was bemused to see, in the interview section at the back of #5, Peter David say that one of his "geek" moments took place at Jekyll and Hyde's restaurant before Harry, Carrie and Garp. Why? Because I was there! Jae Lee, too.
  • Marvel is proud to announce that Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #4 has sold out at Diamond. Fans and critics agree, Robin Furth and Peter David’s scripts combined with the art of Jae Lee and Richard Isanove continue to impress fans & critics alike. Marvel currently plans to go back to print, featuring an all-new cover by superstar Uncanny X-Men artist Billy Tan. This landmark series, adapting the characters and world created by New York Times best selling author Stephen King, has continually been praised by fans and critics.

Fans should also check out Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #5 in stores now, continuing the origin of the young gunslinger Roland and revealing the events that would shape him into a legendary hero.
  • THE GUNSLINGER NEARS HIS END IN "DARK TOWER!"

The end begins here with Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #6, the penultimate chapter of the groundbreaking Marvel Comics limited series, adapting the classic Stephen King story. The Affiliation, a force of men gathered by Roland’s father, advance further into the Shaved Mountains, however unbeknownst to them, Farson and his Coffin Riders have lured them into a trap. Now, with Hambry’s oil powering the Old Ones’ weapons, the Affiliation stands to be wiped out unless Roland can get there in time. Writers Peter David and Robin Furth, and series artist Jae Lee and Richard Isanove bring you another issue of the acclaimed limited series that has the critics buzzing.

Richard George of IGN.com says “I’m mesmerized,” and calls Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born a “masterpiece”.

Luke Paton of SilverBulletComicbooks.com calls Jae Lee and Richard Isanove’s art “fantastic… Each panel is so meticulously detailed and beautifully rendered that you could just look at them all day.”

Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born #6 will also feature a stunning variant cover by Greg Land and fans can also expect to see more exclusive behind the scenes pages, as featured previous issues of Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born. For more info on Dark Tower, please visit http://www.marvel.com/darktower and see Dark Tower like you’ve never seen it before!

See preview images

• A blogger posted that Peter David and Robin Furth will be attending HeroesCon 2007 this weekend.
  • Dark Tower panel at HeroesCon

Day Three at the Heroes Convention was all about the King, as Peter David and Robin Furth tackled questions about their work on Stephen King's “The Gunslinger Born” comic. The Marvel Comics series serves as a prequel of sorts to Steven Kings “Dark Tower” series of novels, and wraps up the first arc in August with issue #7, which portrays events first described in the flashback sequences from the fourth novel in the series, “Wizard and Glass.”

As some fans may know, artist Jae Lee and painter Richard Isanove were some of the first of the creative team to be involved with the project. Peter David told the story of Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada pitching the concept of adapting “Dark Tower” for comics to Steven King, and how he had brought with him artwork by Lee and Isanove. The pair had gone through the novels and picked out scenes to illustrate, giving King an idea of what the finished product would look like.

At the same time, David said, Lee was originally supposed to be the artist on his new “X-Factor” book and that's how Ryan Sook took over. David was told Lee couldn't do the X book anymore because another project had come up and that they couldn't tell him what it was. Flash forward several months to when David was asked to write the “Dark Tower” comics series, Quesada happened to mention that Jae Lee was the artist. “So I lost to Steven King? I can handle that,” David said.

Fans asked the panel if it was working on “Dark Tower” was any different from working on their own material, especially because this project comes from someone as regarded as Stephen King. “I think we're all bringing our A++ game because it's Stephen King,” said David. “You always want to put the best book out there, but I'm putting this out there for Stephen King. If Stephen King sends back notes saying, ‘great, you nailed it', then I'm fine.”

A fan asked if the “Dark Tower” team wants to “bring their A game,” does that mean the bar gets raised with every issue, with the team tries to outdo themselves? David said that they weren't trying to outdo themselves, but that they “must do work that is worthy of the trust Stephen King put in us for his characters.”

Another question was if David ever tried to somehow surprise Stephen King with something involving the comic. “I'd really rather not surprise Stephen King,” said David. “It probably wouldn't end well.”

One thing David was originally concerned about was using a first-person narrative in the “Dark Tower” comic. He asked the audience what the first line of the series was and the crowd responded, “The man in black fled across the desert.”

“Everyone thought that would be the first line of the book,” Daid said, “but it's on page three.

“I wanted to force people's eyes to stay on Jae's artwork. I wanted them to stop and look long enough to appreciate what Jay and Richard had done.”

David said that he envisioned people in the bookstores browsing and flipping through the “Dark Tower” comics. He thought the artwork and first line might not hook people, so he started doing the captions and found he was developing a new way to tell the story. “That really made me nervous,” David said, “and I was concerned that we'd get a letter back from Steve saying ‘what's going on?'”

But the letter never came, and back in February, at New York Comic Con, David took King aside and said, “I've got to ask you, face to face, how am I doing?”

David said that King put his hands on each side of his face and said, “You're doing great. I love the work you're doing.”

Switching gears, the questions turned to Robin Furth, who's handling the plotting for the series. For over five years, Furth has worked as the personal research assistant to Stephen King and used that knowledge to help clear up the two main issues concerning Charlotte, NC audience, specifically the physical appearance of John Farson and if he was indeed a separate character from Martin Broadcloak.

In the books, John Farson was a revolutionary leader who wanted to end the training of Gunslingers and eventually did so, destroying Roland's home of Gilead. Furth said the team had done research to find out if a description was ever mentioned and it wasn't, only that Farson was known as “The Good Man.” When readers first see him in issue #3 of “The Gunslinger Born,” he's shown as a tall man with long black hair.

Also in the comics, Roland's nemesis Marten Broadcloak and John Farson are seen as two different people. According to a fan in the audience, the books seem to imply the two characters are actually the same man.

“In the first four books, it really looks like they're the same,” said Furth, “but in the last three, [King] makes it clear that they're different.”

[continued next post]

• The conversation soon turned to Hollywood, with fans asking the creative team if there was a chance to see any “Dark Tower” material on television or in film. Back in February, Furth said, there was talk that J.J. Abrams would be working with King on possible series of movies or television projects. Furth said there's not been a script or anything else submitted, but that there is a lot of interest. She went back and forth with the audience, talking about who should be cast. For the character of Roland, the hands down favorite was Hugh Jackman, while both Angela Bassett and Halle Berry were mentioned for Susanna.

As the panel got set to wrap up, the question was asked as to what other “Dark Tower” material could be expected from Marvel Comics in the future. Marvel has mentioned doing multiple volumes down the road, but fans wanted to know how true that was.

“Marvel has only told me I'm doing the first [storyline']” said Daivd, adding that on the other hand, Marvel haven't said anyone else is taking over, either. “If they want me to continue, I'd be thrilled.”
  • For the character of Roland, the hands down favorite was Hugh Jackman, while both Angela Bassett and Halle Berry were mentioned for Susanna.
    Jackman would be a good choice for the grown up Roland. Would need a different actor to play the younger version. Bassett and Berry are far too old to play Susanna.
  • For people who've been curious about sales numbers for the series, this site is the place to go.

Dark Tower #4 sold an estimated 131,753 copies in May. (Issue #3 sold 132,481 copies in April.)

Also making the charts are Dark Tower #2 (2nd printing) with 18,572 copies, Dark Tower #1 (second printing) with 6,386 copies, and Dark Tower #3 with an additional 5,761 copies shipped.
  • Thanks!

I picked up Issue #6 this evening after work.
  • Issue 7 preview. The Gunslinger's Guidebook will be out tomorrow, too.
  • Here's the Marvel page for the hardcover omnibus of The Gunslinger Born, due out Nov. 7th
  • Hmmm - this is the way I am going to go in the future. Much cheaper.
  • Stephen King's Gunslinger Collected

Source: Marvel, Simon & Schuster

September 7, 2007

On November 7, the year's biggest comic book event will be chronicled in graphic novel format for the first time as Marvel Comics launches an epic, 240-page hard cover edition of "Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born," adapted from the master of modern horror Stephen King’s magnum opus.

The graphic novel will bring together the complete, initial 7-issue story arc of the comic book series that ranks as one of the year’s biggest sellers and generated huge media attention and significant acclaim. The graphic novel will be available for a suggested retail price of $24.99.

Under the direction and guidance of King himself, collaborating with the all-star creative team of "Dark Tower" expert Robin Furth (Stephen King's "The Dark Tower: A Complete Concordance"), The New York Times-bestselling author Peter David, and Eisner Award-winning artist Jae Lee and fan-favorite Richard Isanove, "Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born" expands the saga of King's epic hero, Roland Deschain, whose quest to save the Dark Tower is captured in seven best-selling novels published over the course of twenty-five years.

King's unparalleled storytelling power presents new tales that delve into the life and times of the young Roland, revealing the trials and conflicts that lead to the burden of destiny he must assume as a man, the last Gunslinger from a world that has moved on. The graphic novel works in conjunction with the actual novels, further supplementing and defining the saga's mythology.

In addition to presenting the complete initial story arc, "Dark Tower: Gunslinger Born" will also present fans with exciting bonus material. Leading the way is a series of all-new illustrations from Lee.

"As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics 'come of age' and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction, I'm excited to be a part of Roland's new incarnation," said Stephen King earlier this year when announcing the actual comic book series.