Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Kane's Mutiny

13»

Comments

• Back in the saddle again, so to speak!

• I had an idea for a story development this morning that takes the book in a different direction than I intended. I'm going to have to ruminate on it for a bit, but somehow it seems right, even though it strikes me as terrible. The fact that it's not what I expected means hopefully that it's also not what a reader would expect and it would take him or her off guard. But where that will lead me, I'm not quite sure yet.

• First time back at the novel in a few days. I had some time to ruminate over the ideas I had the other day about the book's new direction. Today I wrote Chapter 26, and I'm all set for the next chapter tomorrow morning.

• Manuscript page 200. My protagonist has himself in a tight spot. I just have to make sure it's not so tight that he can't get out of it, at least long enough to get back on the trail of the real culprit. At least he has a good lawyer.

• Finished Chapter 27. The beginning of the end.

• Finished Chapter 28.

• Finished Chapter 29 and am well into Chapter 30. Very close to the end now.

• Well into Chapter 30. I should be done the first draft by the end of the week.

• Finished Chapter 30. All I have left to write now is a denouement to wrap things up.

• Preliminary draft finished at 225 pages. I'm not calling this a first draft quite yet, as there are several major things I need to go back to fix before I would even consider showing it to anyone. I expect I'll be spending the next month getting those things straight and prettying up the writing, but I did write THE END at the bottom of the manuscript this morning.
  • Woot! Congratulations!
  • After a hiatus to take care of some other writing matters and business, I'm back at work on this novel, doing revisions. I hope to finish it to a point where I can show it to my agent next month.
  • Excellent and good luck!
  • I love my new(ish) laser printer, a Brother HL-2070N. For years, all I had were bubblejet and inkjet printers. Generating a novel manuscript on one of those puppies—no way. Wave bye-bye to an ink cartridge and keep feeding sheets of paper into the hopper. In less than ten minutes yesterday evening I printed out the entire manuscript, didn't have to refill the paper tray once, the print was crisp and clean, and I could do this twenty more times before expending the toner cartridge. Beauty. It's only black-and-white, but I can live with that.

It's the first time I've printed out any portion of the manuscript. In the old days, I used to print as I went, a chapter at a time. This time I finished the first raw draft and spent the last three weeks doing a rough edit before generating what I consider the first real draft. It came in at 225 pages, 70,000 words. These last three days have been very productive—I got more done in them than I had in the previous two weeks. I have a page of notes that I want to address, and I want to read the thing in hardcopy and make some more minor edits before passing it on to my agent for his feedback. I'm hoping to get it out the door by the end of the month. I think it holds up pretty well. One part of the penultimate chapter was a little lame when I got to it, but it didn't take much to fix it.