Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Stand: Remake

Comments

• Josh Boone has just been attached to a X-Men movie. Not sure how this impacts his involvement with The Stand.   :(
  • Hans Lilja reached out to Josh to ask him if the X-Men movie would impact The Stand movie and his reply was a succinct - Nope.
  • In addition to movie, Warner Bros., CBS Films and writer-director Josh Boone are in talks to mount an 8-part TV series

Before it hits a movie theater near you, Stephen King‘s epic post-apocalyptic novel “The Stand” will take a revolutionary detour to the small screen, as Warner Bros. and CBS Films are in talks with Showtime to mount an eight-part miniseries that will culminate in a big-budget feature film, multiple individuals familiar with the ambitious project have told TheWrap.
  • edited June 2015
    Hmmm, telling viewers they have to pay to see the conclusion to a TV series in a movie theater is going to be a tough sell.
  • edited February 2016
    Last year, word surfaced that they were thinking of taking the adaptation first to TV, producing an 8-episode limited series that would serve as a prelude to the feature film finale. Now, however, Lee says that idea has been jettisoned:

“There was definitely talk about doing that but the logistics made it very difficult to try to do a worldwide launch of a movie when the TV component would not necessarily be released at the same time worldwide. So it became a logistic nightmare to try to figure that out, so that plan was abandoned.”

Lee isn’t altogether opposed to the idea of television, but when Steve asked if they considered doing the whole thing on the small screen, he brought up the previous miniseries adaptation of King’s novel:

“That’s why there was this discussion about going to HBO or Netflix to try to do a series that launched before a movie, but we’ve been opened to everything just to make it work. I think TV would be great but Stephen King believes that his version—the miniseries that was done before is a very good interpretation of the novel.”

The major issue with this adaptation is the length, and trying to service King’s novel in the best way possible. Boone previously said his adaptation would span four movies, but Lee says they’ve also seriously considered the idea of trying to do it in one:

“That’s why we’ve been experimenting with trying to see what the one movie would look like. If you do the one movie, you obviously have to take out a big portion of the book, so trying to balance what to keep and what to cut out was a long process because there’s so much to go through. So that’s why it’s been a long process. Right now it’s written as two movies.”

Whether this two-movie plan will, uh, stand remains to be seen, but Boone has been attached to the project longer than any director previously and has a strong relationship with King, so here’s hoping he’s the guy to finally bring this thing home. For now, fans will just have to wait a bit longer while Boone makes Revival, meaning the earliest The Stand would go before cameras would be sometime in 2017.

>>> Source
  • I feel the 4 movie plan is still the best one. A one movie plan is horrible one - it will mutate The Stand into another generic post-apocalyptic B-movie.
  • edited October 2017
    Posted on SKMB: Hi, Josh Boone here. I happened to come across this and wanted to say that I never wrote a draft of The Stand with anything but the ending from the book. You are referring to a draft that preceded me, which I actively worked to ensure never got made because it was in no way an adaptation of the book, just fan fiction. I am still working on The Stand and will be making it next as soon as New Mutants opens in April as a limited series. I've been working on it for four years and I promise you it will be a faithful adaptation of the book with an incredible cast.
  • The Tracking Board reports that Boone is still attached, and that the adaptation “is coming together as a ten-hour limited series at CBS All Access.” CBS All Access is CBS’s subscription streaming service, home to Star Trek: Discovery and The Good Fight.
  • From Dread Central

A whopping 9 months back we let you guys know that The New Mutants writer-director Josh Boone was setting his sights on a 10-hour Limited Series adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand.

And today we have confirmation that the Limited Series is moving forward as Boone just took to Instagram to let us all know the writer’s room has been assembled.

And if that wasn’t cool enough, he also let us know that none other than King’s son Owen King will be one of the writers. Also joining in on the fun will be Benjamin Cavell (Justified) and Jill Killington (The Blackout Experiments) who used to co-host Dread Central Live along with our very own Steve Barton.
  • edited January 2019
    CBS All Access streaming service confirmed the series order at the Winter Television Critics Assn. presentation in Pasadena, where CBS and its streaming counterpart are previewing some of its upcoming offerings for 2019. The limited series will be written and executive produced by Josh Boone (“The Fault in Our Stars”) and Ben Cavell (“SEAL Team”) with Boone also set to direct.

“I’m excited and so very pleased that ‘The Stand’ is going to have a new life on this exciting new platform,” said Stephen King in a statement released by the streaming platform. “The people involved are men and women who know exactly what they’re doing; the scripts are dynamite. The result bids to be something memorable and thrilling.”

“I read ‘The Stand’ under my bed when I was 12, and my Baptist parents burned it in our fireplace upon discovery,” said Boone in the same statement. “Incensed, I stole my Dad’s FedEx account number and mailed King a letter professing my love for his work. Several weeks later, I came home to find a box had arrived from Maine, and inside were several books, each inscribed with a beautiful note from god himself, who encouraged me in my writing and thanked me for being a fan.”
  • Marilyn Manson is featured in the newest issues of Revolver Magazine where he mentions that he and Shooter Jennings have worked together for a cover of The End by The Doors. The cover was recorded for a miniseries of The Stand by Stephen King and he will also be acting in it.

>>> Source
  • CBS All Access could not confirm any casting at this time, but here’s what we’ve heard about the ensemble so far from multiple agency sources.

james-marsden-the-stand-stu-redman

Image via HBO

James Marsden (Westworld) is in advanced negotiations to play Stu Redman, a Texan who is the first man discovered to be immune to the Captain Trips virus that has ravaged the planet. He eventually becomes a leader in a community known as the Free Zone, and is tasked with confronting the evil Randall Flagg. Gary Sinise played Stu in the 1994 ABC miniseries.

Amber Heard (Aquaman) is in negotiations to play Nadine Cross, a private school teacher and virgin who believes she has a unique destiny to be by Flagg’s side. Laura San Giacomo played Nadine in the original miniseries.

Oscar winner Whoopi Goldberg is in negotiations to play Mother Abagail, who is immune to the superflu and leads the ‘good’ survivors of the plague toward Boulder, Colorado. She also claims to be a prophet of God. Ruby Dee originated the character in the miniseries.

Oscar winner Greg Kinnear is in negotiations to play Glen Bateman, an arthritis-afflicted professor who joins Stu on his journey to meet Mother Abagail. Glen was played by Ray Walston in the original ABC miniseries.

the-stand-amber-heard

Image via Warner Bros.

Rising star Odessa Young(Assassination Nation) is in advanced negotiations to play Frannie Goldsmith, a pregnant woman who leaves her devastated community with a man named Harold Lauder, but ends up falling in love with Stu, much to Harold’s chagrin. The character was first played by Molly Ringwald in the 1994 miniseries.

Up-and-coming actor Henry Zaga (The New Mutants) is all but set to play Nick Andros, a young, deaf-mute grifter who wears an eye patch for most of King’s book. Rob Lowe played the character in the miniseries.

>>> Source

• edited August 2019

CBS All Access’ upcoming limited series The Stand will bring a twist that will have fans buzzing — a new ending crafted by King. The streamer announced at TCAThursday that King will write the last episode of the nine-episode series, providing “a new coda that won’t be found in the book”.

“For fans of the book who have wondered what became of the survivors of the stand, this episode will contain a story that takes us beyond the book to answer those questions,” CBS All Access EVP Julie McNamara said. “A continuation to The Stand; we can’t wait to share that with the world.” [Source]

King later tweeted: The script for that final episode is written. I was glad Josh Boone gave me the chance, because that final story has been in my mind for 30 years.
  • Stephen King was a guest on ABC’s The View on Wednesday morning where he promoted his new book, The Institute, and his new movie, It: Chapter Two. He also announced four new cast members for CBS All Access’ adaptation of The Stand, including Jovan Adepo (The Leftovers) as Larry Underwood, Owen Teague (Bloodline) as Harold Lauder, Brad William Henke (Orange Is the New Black) as Tom Cullen, and Daniel Sunjata (Rescue Me) as Cobb.

But there was one name who King didn’t announce — and it’s a big one. Collider has exclusively learned that, on the heels of winning an Emmy, a Golden Globe and a SAG Award for his menacing turn on HBO’s Big Little LiesAlexander Skarsgard is preparing to play the personification of evil, The Man in Black himself… Mr. Randall Flagg.

James Marsden (Stu Redman), Amber Heard (Nadine Cross), Odessa Young (Frannie Goldsmith), and Henry Zaga (Nick Andros)) have already been confirmed to star in the 10-episode adaptation of King’s apocalyptic epic, while The View host Whoopi Goldberg confirmed Collider’s earlier scoop that she will play Mother Abagail.

>>> Source

• Nat Wolff (Stella’s Final Weekend) joins James Marsden, Amber Heard, Odessa Younger, Jovan Adepo, Owen Teague, Henry Zaga, Brad William Henke and Whoopi Goldberg.

Wolff plays Lloyd Henreid.

• A new version of the legendary plague novel—starring Alexander Skarsgård, Whoopi Goldberg, James Marsden, and legions more—was in production just as COVID-19 hit. A preview of our worst nightmares.

The novel remains one of the author’s greatest achievements, and a new limited series adaptation is headed to CBS All Access later this year in the ominous shadow of an actual global pandemic. (The exact launch date is still to be determined.) Showrunners Benjamin Cavell and Taylor Elmore, who first worked together on Justified, are quick to point out that King layered in reassuring themes along with the terrifying ones. “It’s about the fundamental questions of what society owes the individual and what we owe to each other,” said Cavell. “Over the last however-many years, we have sort of taken for granted the structure of democracy. Now, so much of that is being ripped down to the studs. It’s interesting to see a story about people who are rebuilding it from the ground up.”

It’s hard to know what our world will feel like when The Stand begins its nine-episode run, but the coronavirus crisis has only intensified interest in movies like Contagion and Outbreak. The show had to wrap production four days early in March when COVID-19 began to shut down North America, but, as of now, CBS All Access plans to proceed with the release. “It was very surreal, obviously, to start to realize that there was a creeping pandemic the way there was at the beginning of our show,” Cavell said.

> Read more

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • I'll get to the read more when I have more time to give it.  But I love that picture of whoopi.  I hope she does a great job.
    GNTLGNTNotaro
  • ...man oh man, do I hope this is good.....it's the gateway novel that addicted me to King.....
    NotaroFlakeNoir
  • .....the trailer is a tasty morsel.....except for the quick glimpse at what looked like one of the old original Star Trek sets when "red alert" sounded....I'm assuming that's the Stovington CDC or Project Blue HQ?......
    Out of OrderHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    .....the trailer is a tasty morsel.....except for the quick glimpse at what looked like one of the old original Star Trek sets when "red alert" sounded....I'm assuming that's the Stovington CDC or Project Blue HQ?......
    I think they goofed and put a scene from The Trouble With Tribbles in there....
    GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    .....the trailer is a tasty morsel.....except for the quick glimpse at what looked like one of the old original Star Trek sets when "red alert" sounded....I'm assuming that's the Stovington CDC or Project Blue HQ?......
    I think they goofed and put a scene from The Trouble With Tribbles in there....
    Memebase - tribbles - All Your Memes In Our Base - Funny Memes - Cheezburger
    Hedda GablerOut of Ordernot_nadine