Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Dark Tower movie developments

Comments

• Entertainment Weekly exclusive: Who should star in 'The Dark Tower'? 'The Twilight cast, of course!'

Interview with King. "I always thought it would take more than a single movie, but I didn’t see this solution coming — i.e., several movies and TV series. It was Ron [Howard] and Akiva [Goldsman]‘s idea. Once it was raised, I thought at once it was the solution."
  • Ron Howard took on the task of making Stephen King's Dark Tower series into both movies and a television series. However, he is approaching another project first. My Stroke of Insight is a true-story memoir of Jill Bolte Taylor, a "brain scientist" who suffers a stroke leaving her unable to walk, read, write or remember her past. The story then follows her as she uses her knowledge of brainpower to recover. The movie is being compared to A Beautiful Mind and Howard hopes to cast Jodie Foster in the lead role.

>>> Source
  • Universal has locked in release dates for some of its big upcoming movies, among them Ron Howard's adaptation of Stephen King's Dark Tower.

Ron Howard's Dark Tower adaptation will make history, as he and Universal are bringing together a movie trilogy and tv series based on Stephen King's much loved novels/comics. And now wed have a release date. The first of the trilogy is set for release on Friday, May 17, 2013.

Just a little bit of a wait then! But it could really be worth it. Apparently the plan is to start with the first film in the trilogy and link the following films with a season of Tv episodes between them. This epic undertaking has drawn comparison to Peter Jackson's work on LOTR, and Howard acknowledges and invites it.

“What Peter did was a feat, cinematic history. The approach we’re taking also stands on its own, but it’s driven by the material. I love both, and like what’s going on in TV. With this story, if you dedicated to one medium or another, there’s the horrible risk of cheating material. The scope and scale call for a big screen budget. But if you committed only to films, you’d deny the audience the intimacy and nuance of some of these characters and a lot of cool twists and turns that make for jaw-dropping, compelling television. We’ve put some real time and deep thought into this, and a lot of conversations and analysis from a business standpoint, to get people to believe in this and take this leap with us. I hope audiences respond to it in a way that compels us to keep going after the first year or two of work. It’s fresh territory for me, as a filmmaker.”

>>> Source
  • How The Dark Tower will roll out has conflicting reports out. This article - http://tinyurl.com/39coasv - linked to by Lilja's makes it seem that NBC will have a TV series for it starting this fall. Unless NBC is just putting a placeholder for the series down.

Personally I can't see the project starting on TV. Starting with a movie makes more sense from a generating visibility point of view.
  • I think that NBC info is wrong, but I could be mistaken.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: I think that NBC info is wrong, but I could be mistaken.

Given their track record the last few years you are most certainly correct. ;D
  • From Deadline via IGN:

Howard Talks Dark Tower

Director gives a status update on the ambitious adaptation.

December 14, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

Director Ron Howard has given a status update on his massive, planned film and TV adaptation of the Stephen King saga, The Dark Tower.

"It is going well, and it has been incredibly stimulating to work on," Howard told Deadline. "It's dense, a great author's life work is not to be taken lightly. It has been utterly fascinating to explore it, and we are having great creative conversations. I've begun tossing and turning at 3 in the morning over it, so that's a good sign."

Howard, screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and producer Brian Grazer -- the Oscar-winning powerhouse trio behind A Beautiful Mind, The Da Vinci Code, and Angels & Demons -- will adapt The Dark Tower, with King, Imagine Entertainment and Weed Road simultaneously developing the property as a TV series. The first season of the TV series is designed to bridge the first and second movies.

Universal has slated the first movie in their Dark Tower film trilogy for a Friday, May 17, 2013 release.
  • Would feel more comfortable if The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons were not on their resume.
  • Director Ron Howard has acknowledged some of the actors being considered to play the lead role of gunslinger Roland Deschain in the filmmaker's planned epic feature film/TV adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

In a chat with The Los Angeles Times about the project, "Howard didn't dodge the topic [of casting Roland] and nodded when names such as Daniel Craig, Hugh Jackman and Jon Hamm were mentioned."

Howard told the paper, "Sure, those are some names and on 'The Dark Tower' fansites they're all about Viggo [Mortensen]."

"We love Roland the Gunslinger but we also like coming back to these worlds and these places. On one hand it is grounded and relatable but on the other hand it's scary and strange and mind-blowing," said Howard. "There's this dream quality to it and the mystery in that is what it's all about – being compelled forward without all the answers."

Howard, screenwriter Akiva Goldsman and producer Brian Grazer will adapt The Dark Tower, with King, Imagine Entertainment and Weed Road simultaneously developing the property as a TV series. The first season of the TV series is designed to bridge the first and second movies. Universal has slated the first movie in their Dark Tower film trilogy for a Friday, May 17, 2013 release.

>>> Source
  • Ron Howard admits there is pressure in bringing King's The Dark Tower series to the screen.

He said: "Filmically, there are tones in this that I have never used before, tones of fantasy menace and elements of horror and real fear.

"And there's the burden, on the characters, of this journey that is really palpable. That's what we need to get on the screen. I think there's something about [the Frank Darabont films] Green Mile or a Shawshank Redemption, the complexity and the ballast of them, those are two [of the Stephen King adaptations] where you do get the horror and suspense that's there on the page.

"We're charging ourselves with the responsibility of getting a real understanding of the material and utilising many of the best aspects of the books and graphic novels."

"there’s this entire world and all of these references and there are the books and the graphic novels and just talking to Stephen and it’s all this ongoing conversation with the material and it’s really exciting. In all of it, he leaves a lot open to interpretation and so it gives a great deal of latitude.”
  • Ron Howard briefly mentioned his work on the Dark Tower movies at the end of his Today Show appearance promoting The Dilemma today.
  • What is the connection between the King of All Media and Stephen King's The Dark Tower? Who else but Howard Stern could get people to talk about things they know they shouldn't?

Director Ron Howard (or as Eddie Murphy used to call him on SNL, "Opie Cunningham") was a guest on The Howard Stern Show, and despite Ron Howard's best efforts he found himself revealing things about his adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower that in other circumstances he wouldn't. Such is the power of Stern!

For fans it might be a little disheartening to learn that at this point the project is only in development, which means that it's probably a long way from filming. In fact, Howard wasn't even guaranteeing that the project would reach screens at all. If it does, however, in addressing the innovative notion of creating a trilogy fo films supplemented by a television series between film entries, he pointed out that the plan calls for a single six-hour miniseries that would air between the release of the first two films. So anyone envisioning a couple of seasons of 22-episodes each should put that out of their mind.

One caller suggested that The Dark Tower would be more suitable for a cable network like HBO or Showtime than one of the networks, Howard, after some initial reluctance, noted that the show would likely air on Syfy or USA -- one of NBC/Universal's cable networks which would allow more freedom than the network itself.

Finally, as to the casting of the role of Roland Deschain, names being bandied about are Lord of the Rings' Viggo Mortensen and No Country For Old Men's Javier Bardem.

>>> Source
  • Ron Howard, from his Howard Stern appearance:

“I don’t know if it’s going to happen or not, but I’m developing with Akiva Goldsman, the guy who wrote A Beautiful Mind and Cinderella Man, a version of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series of fantasy stories And there is an element of it, if everything goes as planned, that we would like to do on tv. So we want to do part of it big screen, and then a lot of the character stuff — because Stephen King’s stuff is so interesting and fascinating, and instead of trying to wedge it into a movie, let the movies be adventure and action.”

“In a way it’s Stephen King’s life work. He’s woven those characters in and around so many stories… Hey look, there is always a risk when you adapt something and books are challenges. But I think a movie idea is there. And if I have my way, and if everything goes according to plan, which is of course a big if — we’ll be doing movies, we’ll be doing television, and all of that isn’t just [to make money] but all of that is to be as comprehensive as possible.The idea of doing part of it on the big screen and part of it on television is to try to include absolutely as much of the books, and even the graphic novels, as possible.”
  • While those involved have abstained from commenting on anything specific regarding the project, producer Grazer seemed confident enough to confide to MTV’s cameras at the Golden Globes that an announcement regarding casting would be coming “within a week”. That’s this week, boys and girls. Is he serious or just trying to get a pesky reporter off his back? Watch the video below and judge for yourself, and I guess we’ll find out within the next 72 hours!

>>> Source + video of Grazer
  • How are things progressing with The Dark Tower?

"I'm working on it. We don't know if it's a 'go' but it is picking up a lot of momentum and a lot of creative momentum. I've had fantastic conversations with Stephen King. Akiva Goldsman, who wrote A Beautiful Mind, Cinderella Man and Da Vinci Code, is on it as a writer and also a producer and brought the project to me. We're already gathering this interesting team of people who love these genres - fantasy and horror. For me it's creatively very exciting. The possibilities are rich."

>>> Source
  • Via Lilja, Ron Howard discusses his plans with MTV

"Right now what we're talking about is a movie and six or eight hours of television to bridge. My plan is to do most of those TV hours, if not all, and certainly the movies." And, in case you thought the roles of the main characters would be recast for the TV series, Howard confirmed that the actors from the films will indeed reprise their roles on the small screen.
  • It's official (and confirmed by Ms. Mod): Javier Bardem has been offered the role of Roland.

EXCLUSIVE: After Javier Bardem's terrifying Oscar-winning turn as the assassin in No Country For Old Men, is there any doubt he'd fit as the gunslinger Roland Deschain in The Dark Tower, the mammoth adaptation of the Stephen King 7-novel series that’ll span three movies and a limited run TV series in between?

I'm told that Bardem has officially been offered the lead role by director Ron Howard and Universal Pictures. While formal negotiations haven't yet begun, there's a high level of enthusiasm internally that they've got their cowboy. Akiva Goldsman has scripted the first movie, and will write the TV component as well. Imagine Entertainment’s Brian Grazer is producing with Goldsman and the author. Universal is financing and distributing the films, and NBC Universal Television Entertainment is backing the TV component, which will either be a limited run series or a miniseries.

It has been a heady week for Bardem. He received a Best Actor nomination for his performance as a terminally ill street hustler in the Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu-directed Biutiful, and Bardem and Penelope Cruz just welcomed their first son into the world. Since Deadline first revealed that King, Goldsman, Howard and Grazer were joining forces on the ambitious project that would tell the story on multiple platforms, speculation has been rampant over who'd play the lead role. Bardem has been mentioned, as has Viggo Mortensen and Christian Bale. Deschain is the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers, and humanity’s last hope to save a civilization that will fall unless he finds the Dark Tower. At the time, Howard and Goldsman told me they saw the trilogy as their answer to the Peter Jackson-directed adaptation of JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. Instead of Middle Earth, the venue has an old West feel, which Goldsman described at the time as “an alternate Americana, one part post-apocalyptic, one part Sergio Leone.”

Bardem just wrapped the untitled next feature by Terrence Malick.

Howard plans at this point to direct the initial film as well as the TV component that will create a bridge to the second feature. The plan calls for the original actors to headline the TV version as well. The second film will pick up where the first left off. That would be followed by a TV installment that would be a prequel that introduces Deschain as a young man. The third film brings back the original cast once again return and complete the screen trilogy. So if Bardem closes a deal, he’ll likely appear in all three films and that first TV stint. Imagine's Erica Huggins will be executive producer with Kerry Foster of Weed Road. Bardem's repped by WME.

>>> Source
  • We’ve heard of being coy and being evasive but this is on a bit of a different level. On the red carpet at the Oscars over the weekend MTV asked awesomely-coiffed producer Brian Grazer about Javier Bardem—who was offered the lead in “The Dark Tower” in January—and whether or not he was going to be in the film. “He’s locked in psychologically,” Grazer said. “He really wants to do it, so we’re absolutely rooting for him to do it.”

So what does this actually mean? Well, it means he’s probably interested but nothing is official, though it certainly seems Grazer wants him badly. “Javier Bardem, that’s what we’re hoping. We’re in the process of trying to put that together,” Grazer said adding, when asked about other potential contenders, “We’re really just focused on Javier right now.”

The Akiva Goldsman penned and Ron Howard directed project is a big commitment as Stephen King‘s story will be spread out across three films and a television series to pack in the full story. Likely, Bardem is weighing his options as he’s also been circling another major franchise, “James Bond 23,” with Sam Mendes apparently offering him a juicy villain role. Even though Bond is due in 2012 and ‘Dark Tower’ in 2013, we could see the productions overlapping as one ends and the other starts, and that too might cause an issue. So, some big options for Bardem right now and the actor is big on receiving a script first and we’d guess that before he signs anything, he wants something from Goldsman to give a glance at.

>>> Source
  • Here's the MTV report:

With the ever-changing, ever-flowing news cycle surrounding the goings on in the film industry these days, it gets tougher and tougher to get concerned parties to actually confirm or break news. Nevertheless, our tireless team of intrepid reporters here at MTV News will not give up in trying to push people for info! Like whenever we happen upon super producer Brian Grazer and pump him for details about "The Dark Tower," for example...

The last time we checked in with Grazer, the Roland casting process was moving along, but slowly. When I stopped him while on his way into the Vanity Fair Oscar party last Sunday, solely with the purpose of peppering him about the reported casting of Javier Bardem as the ruthless gunslinger, he seemed pleasantly puzzled by the fact that MTV is so interested in the project.

"'Dark Tower,' Javier Bardem, that's what we're hoping," Grazer said when I asked him for an update. "We're in the process of trying to put that together. Will that make you happy? Will that make MTV happy?"

Yes, I told him. Very happy! But has he officially signed Bardem onto the project?

"He's locked in psychologically," Grazer said. "He really wants to do it, so we're absolutely rooting for him to do it."

When asked to address other potential cast members, Grazer said they're too busy with Bardem.

"We're really just focused on Javier right now," he said.

Grazer went on to say that in addition to the challenges involved with locking in a lead actor, they'll have their hands full trying to roll-out the project across multiple platforms including film, TV and video games.

"It's challenging to capture all of it, the density of it," he said, adding that he's excited to explore all the metaphors involved, and that the first story they're exploring is that of "The Gunslinger."
  • I really like Bardem as an actor.... just not as Roland.
  • I'm cool with Bardem but I do prefer Viggo Mortensen to play Roland.
  • EXCLUSIVE: Javier Bardem is close to sealing his deal with Universal Pictures to play gunslinger Roland Deschain in The Dark Tower, the mammoth adaptation of the Stephen King 7-novel series that’ll span three movies and a limited run TV series in between each film. Director Ron Howard begins production on the first film in September, and he’ll also direct the first TV segment. Akiva Goldsman has scripted the film and the initial TV component. Imagine Entertainment chief Brian Grazer is producing the films with Goldsman and King. Goldsman will produce the TV part through his Weed Road banner.

Bardem, who won the Oscar for his ferocious portrayal of a hit man in No Country For Old Men and who was more recently nominated for Biutiful, is a strong match to play the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers. Deadline revealed in late January that Bardem had been offered the role of Deschain, who becomes humanity’s last hope to save civilization as he hits the road to find the Dark Tower. Along the way, he encounters characters, good and bad, in a world that has an old West feel.

Bardem's WME reps are putting the finishing touches on the deal, and they are close enough that Howard has begun meeting with other actors to cast the roles around Bardem. It's a complex deal, almost unprecedented, because it calls for Bardem to star in the feature film and the TV component. His deal will also include options for two sequels (the TV program that runs between the second and third films will be a prequel). I'm told it will add up to a career-best payday for Bardem. Howard and Goldsman have told me they see the trilogy as their answer to the Peter Jackson-directed adaptation of JRR Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. While Middle Earth had a mystical medieval feel, The Dark Tower vibe is one that Goldsman described as “an alternate Americana, one part post-apocalyptic, one part Sergio Leone.”

Bardem, who just wrapped an untitled next feature for Terrence Malick, is also being courted to play a villain opposite Daniel Craig in the next James Bond film that Sam Mendes is prepping. That film is moving forward again, after MGM emerged from bankruptcy. It's expected to land at Sony Pictures for distribution.

Todd Hallowell, Imagine's Erica Huggins and Weed Road's Kerry Foster will be executive producers of The Dark Tower.

>>> Source
  • Off to a great casting start if it becomes official.
  • Mark Verheiden To Co-Write, EP NBC's 'Dark Tower' Series With Akiva Goldsman

TV, film and comic book writer Mark Verheiden has been tapped to co-write with Akiva Goldsman the NBC TV series The Dark Tower. The project is part of a massive joint deal Universal Pictures and NBC Universal TV Entertainment signed back in September to turn Stephen King’s opus of best-selling novels -- which have sold more than 30 million copies -- into into a feature film trilogy and a TV series, both of them creatively steered by the Oscar-winning team behind A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code.

Verheiden will executive produce the The Dark Tower series along with Goldsman and his Weed Road Pictures for Universal Media Studios. As previously announced, Ron Howard will direct the series, which is envisioned as a bridge between the first and second movie in the trilogy. This marks Verheiden's return to NBC and UMS following his turn as a supervising producer on Heroes. He also was a writer/co-exec producer on the NBCU series Battlestar Galactica, which ran on Syfy. He most recently served as a co-executive producer of TNT's upcoming sci-fi series Falling Skies, from DreamWorks TV. Verheiden, repped by CAA, Untitled and attorney Peter Nelson, is also in business with DreamWorks on the feature side, developing Quatermain for the studio, as well as Ark for Sony Pictures for producers Neal Moritz and Mike Richardson. He has written nearly 125 comic books including The American, Aliens, Predator, The Phantom, Superman and Superman/Batman.