Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Documentaries

Comments

• edited May 2021
    Premieres Tonight on PBS American Masters:  

Amy Tan: Unintended Memoir

i would like to very much recommend this. Watching her on Masterclass, she told a personal story or two— the most shocking was how her mother held a knife to her throat.  If she’s going to drop that bit of information in a writing class, what more will she reveal in a biographical documentary?  I’m fascinated to hear.  
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaBevVincent
  • ...I like her, not sure why-not exactly my style-but my big gut says "yes"...
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenNotaroMarsha
  • Watched, Sons Of Sam: A Decent Into Darkness. A journalist becomes obsessed with the Son of Sam case and becomes convinced that the killer David Berkowitz did not act alone, he delves deep and uncovers links to bizarre religious and satanic groups. An interesting watch, definitely gives food for thought.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirMarshaHedda GablerNeesy
  • edited June 2021
    The Housewife and the Hustler

if any of you are familiar with these real housewives shows, this is one of those chicks and her powerful attorney husband who represented victims, won huge settlements and then stole from them to support their luxurious lives. 

Really interesting even if you know nothing about the housewife franchise.  Money can’t buy you dignity, integrity, class or an interesting personality. You are still hollow, vapid narcissists who give zero f**cks about others . 

FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTKurben
  • The Housewife and the Hustler

if any of you are familiar with these real housewives shows, this is one of those chicks and her powerful attorney husband who represented victims, won huge settlements and then stole from them to support their luxurious lives. 

Really interesting even if you know nothing about the housewife franchise.  Money can’t buy you dignity, integrity, class or an interesting personality. You are still hollow, vapid narcissists who give zero f**cks about others . 

....I blame it on the Kardashians....they ruint everything.....
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenMarsha
  • Watching that Sophie doc, nb. I’m through 2 of the 3. At this point, Irish police do think the guy tried in France did it.  They just don’t feel they have enough evidence to get him in a court of law in Ireland.  

FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaGNTLGNT
  • I haven't watched it yet Hedda but that's what I'm hearing from others who have seen it too, the police here seem convinced it was him. 
    FlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Watching that Sophie doc, nb. I’m through 2 of the 3. At this point, Irish police do think the guy tried in France did it.  They just don’t feel they have enough evidence to get him in a court of law in Ireland.  

Sorry, was this on Netflix? 
    NotaroMarshaHedda Gabler
  • I watched the Sophie: A Murder in West Cork documentary this weekend. 
    It was absolutely heartbreaking to see her family going through this.

I firmly believe Bailey did this, he comes across as a narcissistic pathological liar.
    I hope justice will be realised for this family some day.
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTMarsha
  • There is another documentary just released about it, A Murder At The Cottage by filmmaker Jim Sheridan, this one paints a more sympathetic picture of Bailey apparently.....

https://www.sky.com/watch/murder-at-the-cottage
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenMarshaHedda Gabler
  • I wonder if anyone other than Sky will run this?
    NotaroGNTLGNTMarshaHedda Gabler
  • Summer of Soul on Hulu -- fantastic and very relevant.
    NotaroGNTLGNTKurbenMarshaHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Notaro said:
    There is another documentary just released about it, A Murder At The Cottage by filmmaker Jim Sheridan, this one paints a more sympathetic picture of Bailey apparently.....

https://www.sky.com/watch/murder-at-the-cottage
    I’ll check this  out too. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNT
  • Summer of Soul on Hulu -- fantastic and very relevant.
    I enjoyed this — i’m still learning new things. 
    FlakeNoirBevVincentNotaroMarshaGNTLGNT
  • Watching Sophie: A Murder in West Cork on Netflix -- two episodes in. I fear there won't be an actual resolution to this story.
    NotaroMarshaFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • McCartney 3 2 1 on Hulu. Paul and Rick Rubin deconstruct some of his greatest recordings. Fascinating stuff. 
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited July 2021
    McCartney 3 2 1 on Hulu. Paul and Rick Rubin deconstruct some of his greatest recordings. Fascinating stuff. 
    I also watched this.  Very moving.  I don’t know how Paul doesn’t cry, because i’m an on/off water faucet. 

So many things that would be really great to have an actual discussion about, but, well…

a couple things:  interesting they added a musical note to sgt pepper — for dogs. 

And his demo tracks were stolen in lagos for band on the run album— where are those ? Who has them? Worth  a bloody fortune. 

I loved to see paul’s genuine surprise and delight in hearing something new to him.

He’s still that beautiful boy. 
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirBevVincentMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Also watched McCartney. Very interesting. It was nice to hear his comment on Johns praise on his baseplay. John never told me that. But its nice he told someone else. Later he added that John was very sparse with praise so when it came it meant alot. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirBevVincentMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited July 2021
    Kurben said:
    Also watched McCartney. Very interesting. It was nice to hear his comment on Johns praise on his baseplay. John never told me that. But its nice he told someone else. Later he added that John was very sparse with praise so when it came it meant alot. 
    Paul called it a juxtaposition and why they worked so well together.  They each brought  such unique qualities to the collaboration because of different upbringings. 

I don’t know how he keeps from crying when hearing something like that for the first time. Not that i expect him to sob — or maybe i do. I just want to see that emotion from him.  A tear or two shed for the joy of something .  Hell, i cry harder for uplifting things than i do sad things.  I expect the sad things and maybe i’m a little more braced for those. The uplifting things are unexpected many times, catches me off guard because ugly humans rule the day so for the good ones to shine through is powerful.  

And while someone is always expecting and wanting something from him and he isn’t a damn puppet. I realize. —Squirt me a tear, paul. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy
  • edited July 2021
    And the language he and rick spoke to each other! Paul doesn’t read or write music, but he would vocalize something to rick, “ i wanted a bit of bumptish boo noo nanana” here, making arm gestures and Rick knew exactly what he meant, both of them bobbing in unison to the beat. 

and his influences were so interesting — where he got inspiration from. 
  • And Paul talked about the things he couldn’t do, or messed up on. Still heard today on the original songs. How today they could fix that in the studio, but Rick reassured him that those things added to the uniqueness of the times and the learning and growing of the lads. Endearing a generation of fans to them forever. 

I guess the guys had an agreement amongst themselves, if the producer didn’t catch it, it’s not a mistake.  
  • edited July 2021
    And, this really showed how it took a village to raise a beatle. 

So many creative minds — George Martin — what insight he had. And Moog.  And even a roadie? banging on an anvil for Maxwell’s Silver Hammer.  Just so many helpers, guiders, talents that they watched and learned from. 

And to find out Ringo! was the suave one made me laugh. 
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirMarshaGNTLGNTNeesy