Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Documentaries

Comments

• Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    David Gilmour  -  Wider Horizons

I'll put this on my watch list.
    It's a good one Hedda, I was quite surprised watching it when he talks about his relationship with his parents. 
    I love documentaries. and I love documentaries on people who everyone thinks they know, but obviously just don't.  It's so interesting to hear their stories.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • ....did a bit of looking into the Wrinkles the Clown "mystique", while I like the mask, the execution is sloppy, vulgar and overwrought.....performance "art" easily annoys me.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....did a bit of looking into the Wrinkles the Clown "mystique", while I like the mask, the execution is sloppy, vulgar and overwrought.....performance "art" easily annoys me.....
    He sounds like a huge fricking creep to me... and parents... WTveryF?! 😳
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • The parents are the worst!
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • edited November 2020
    Notaro said:

This was really a terrific documentary.  Some very artful photography, images, feelings captured so beautifully.  I loved his houseboat.

Can someone explain to me the British people's need to be so selfish?  I'm sorry, but I have been reading and watching a lot of British things and they so easily ship their children off to boarding school.  I cannot even begin to comprehend the selfishness of this act.  You have children, and then someone else raises them.  And then you wonder why you have such a stiff relationship with them.  This is not love.  This is not family.   

David was shipped off to boarding school at 5.  His other siblings were 4 and 7 and also shipped off to boarding school so mom and dad could go live in America for a year and then come home and not send for them on holiday breaks.  WTH.  Why did you have children?  Gobsmacked.  I look at my boys at age 4,5 7 and can't even begin to imagine the mental abuse that puts on a child.  It's neglect.   You have children to satisfy some ego thing, but you really don't want to mess with them.  I can't comprehend it.  

When David's mother got old, apparently she wanted to have a closeness and he had no need for that.  He didn't want to bother with that, it irritated him and he said, the time for closeness was when he was five.   And he said he didn't miss her at all after she died.  Broke my heart.

These documentaries leave me feeling wistful -- longing for those beautiful long haired rock boys to be young and whole again.  Turn the clock back, please? Can we do it all over again?
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:

This was really a terrific documentary.  Some very artful photography, images, feelings captured so beautifully.  I loved his houseboat.

Can someone explain to me the British people's need to be so selfish?  I'm sorry, but I have been reading and watching a lot of British things and they so easily ship their children off to boarding school.  I cannot even begin to comprehend the selfishness of this act.  You have children, and then someone else raises them.  And then you wonder why you have such a stiff relationship with them.  This is not love.  This is not family.   

David was shipped off to boarding school at 5.  His other siblings were 4 and 7 and also shipped off to boarding school so mom and dad could go live in America for a year and then come home and not send for them on holiday breaks.  WTH.  Why did you have children?  Gobsmacked.  I look at my boys at age 4,5 7 and can't even begin to imagine the mental abuse that puts on a child.  It's neglect.   You have children to satisfy some ego thing, but you really don't want to mess with them.  I can't comprehend it.  

When David's mother got old, apparently she wanted to have a closeness and he had no need for that.  He didn't want to bother with that, it irritated him and he said, the time for closeness was when he was five.   And he said he didn't miss her at all after she died.  Broke my heart.

These documentaries leave me feeling wistful -- longing for those beautiful long haired rock boys to be young and whole again.  Turn the clock back, please? Can we do it all over again?
    Agree 100% Hedda,  I got quite sad when he was asked the question about his mother "Do you miss her?" and he said "No"... I just couldn't imagine ever feeling like that. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • I had no idea there was such thing as boarding school as early as that... this is nuts!
    No wonder he didn't have a relationship with his mum, it's heartbreaking for him to say and feel those things though... so very sad, life is completely about the connections we make with the people in our lives. What an absolute waste... and tragedy. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Alan Arkin:  TCM
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • I have watched this many times, a touching tribute to his dear friend....

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    I have watched this many times, a touching tribute to his dear friend....

This is very good.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Always brings a tear to my eye...

• Notaro said:
    Always brings a tear to my eye...

Oh, that was a bit hard to watch...  :'( such lovely memories though. 💚
  • Amazing documentary, Welles discusses each of his movies at length....

• edited November 2020
    He GNTLGNT said:
    John Belushi - Wikipedia
    I don’t think he was this genius comedian that everyone thinks he was.  He filled a niche of physical buffoonery that was the right place, right time sort of thing.  Not saying i never laughed at him, i did. 

but, i do think he had something with his acting and singing — something more than blues brothers. 

He had a voice that didn’t need to hide in a character. It wasn’t a refined beautiful thing by any means, but it had something if given the right songs.

And his acting i think could have been more if given the time to develop.

so sad that someone can be so damned determined to die. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Notaro said:
    Always brings a tear to my eye...

He sounds like a kind man and she sounded like a kind lady.   

To have that sort of friendship is in short supply these days. Too many #me me me people to really see others. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • He GNTLGNT said:
    John Belushi - Wikipedia
    I don’t think he was this genius comedian that everyone thinks he was.  He filled a niche of physical buffoonery that was the right place, right time sort of thing.  Not saying i never laughed at him, i did. 

but, i do think he had something with his acting and singing — something more than blues brothers. 

He had a voice that didn’t need to hide in a character. It wasn’t a refined beautiful thing by any means, but it had something if given the right songs.

And his acting i think could have been more if given the time to develop.

so sad that someone can be so damned determined to die. 
    ...no, he wasn't a genius-nor was he free of misogyny.....still, as you say-the door was there and he blew it off the hinges....stupid drugs.....

FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaro
  • Good Fawlty Towers documentary...

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Bee Gees — How Do You Mend A Broken Heart
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Bee Gees — How Do You Mend A Broken Heart
    I don't know, sorry.

Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Bee Gees — How Do You Mend A Broken Heart
    I don't know, sorry.

You just have to keep staying alive
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I don't know, sorry.

....you and your jive talkin’....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirnot_nadine
  • GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    I don't know, sorry.

Ok, fine.  You Win Again. 
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    I don't know, sorry.

Ok, fine.  You Win Again. 
    ...of course......learned it during my Nights on Broadway.....
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoir