Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Lilja Lou Podcast 2 - Ghosts Battlegrounds

Comments

•  Ep. 103: King in 3 Colors - Gray, Blue & Green

This time it's a look at King in 3 colors - Gray, Blue, and Green. This episode brings you reviews of:

1) Gray Matter on Shudder

2) The Stand on Bluray

3) In The Tall Grass - Green - On Netflix

•  Ep 104: The Avester!!! - The Institute Review & More
    1) The Institute - Book Review 
    2) Water Cooler Chat Latest Stephen King News 
  • Episode 58 of The Stephen King Podcast!

Taking A Shining To The Opera

Joining us for this episode is Pulizter Prize winning Writer - Mark Campbell who has written the Libretto for The Shining Opera. Mark was a wonderful guest and gave us an enthusiastic explanation about adapting The Shining as an opera. It is his mission to bring opera to the masses and adapting popular works is a way of doing that.
    Very fun. Very informative.

You can find out more about Mark at his website - 
    http://www.markcampbellwords.com/#!

Info about The Shining Opera can be found here - 
    http://www.mnopera.org/season/2015-2016/the-shining/

On October 12, 2021, Opera Colorado will hold auditions for their winter 2022 production of Moravec and Campbell’s “The Shining,” based on the novel by Stephen King.

OC is looking for children ages 12 and up for the roles of Danny Torrance and the Grady Girls. While the role of Danny is primarily spoken, applicant will be asked to sing a short musical excerpt and work through a scene with Stage Director David Toro. Children will be required to be fully vaccinated in order to audition, as well as those attending at the Studio Loft of the Ellie Caulkins Opera House in the Denver Performing Arts Complex.

The production will open on February 26, 2022, with performances also on March 1, 3, 4, and 6.

The cast currently includes Edward Parks as Jack Torrance, Kelly Kaduce as Wendy Torrence, Kevin Deas as Dick Hallorann, Vale Rideout as Delbert Grady, Troy Cook as Mark Torrance, and Joseph Gaines as Stuart Ullman.

The production is conducted by Ari Pelto, with original production direction by Eric Simonson, scenic design by Erhard Rom, costume design by Karin Kopischke, sound by C. Andrew Mayer, and lighting by Robert Wierzel. Animation and projection design is done by company 59Productions, with the sets and costumes being provided by Minnesota Opera.

FlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTHedda GablerLou_Sytsma
  • Migrating the podcast over to YouTube. Almost 70 of the previous podcast episodes are now on Youtube. You can find the channel - Lou's Reviews here -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb-HNRWeAYpWotNfwRu1TPg
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirBevVincentGrant87GNTLGNT
  • I have to say, i’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts lately SK/Bev related and yours has the most professional and impressive opening. Nice job with that. 

I listened to episode 75 i think it was to hear your thoughts on Gwendy because of the release of book 3 this month. 

Will check out more. 
    NotaroGNTLGNT
  • I am currently listening to Fresh Fish episode. A couple observations. 

Lou does a really nice job keeping the conversation going, so far, no awkward silences that happen to the best of podcasters. 

And Lilja seems like a very sweet, genuine guy. I’m always in awe of people who can speak/read in other languages.  Like kurben too. I wish knowing a second  language was mandatory for the US of A, but by god! We’re ‘muricans and arrogant as f**k. 

A funny moment is when Lilja says that the number one highlight for him was interviewing Stephen king after 5 years of trying. Then it took 6 months where “both” of them were “available.”  

Uh yeah. For me That would have been, I don’t care if I’m in the middle of giving birth, I’m available. 

KurbenFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • Well, about 16 mins into fresh fish podcast, it kept going  but the sound  died.  😔
    NotaroGNTLGNTKurbenLou_SytsmaFlakeNoir
  • edited February 2022
    Damn. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll follow up, fix it, and post an update. Also, thank you Hedda for taking the time to check the podcast out.  :)

FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2022
    Damn. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll follow up, fix it, and post an update. Also, thank you Hedda for taking the time to check the podcast out.  :)

Please update so I know if it’s something on my end. I’d like to finish the episode. You’re welcome. I’ll check out more. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Ok - the corrected version is now up. You can find it here - 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Ok - the corrected version is now up. You can find it here - 
    Listening now, thank you.
    Lou_SytsmaFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2022
    Okay. Just to follow up - 🙂 - i went and looked at The Wind Through the Keyhole covers. Cover art is so important to me personally. It can be something as simple as a red drop of blood on an all black cover to a bright, vibrant canvas like Lisey’s Story.  Great artwork gets me to pick a book up. Gets it in my hands.   (More so the art with an author I’m not familiar with.) 
    So having said that, I really liked all the covers I saw for TWTTK. 

Second thing from your conversation — if Stephen King narrated every book he’s done, even though I own them, I would immediately purchase them again. I love him narrating his own work. It’s like being with him when he wrote the piece — where does he put emphasis?  Does his voice grow loud or become soft? Where does he place his pauses?  I know exactly how he intended it to sound — how it sounded in his head — and that just makes the story even more powerful. 

Not all authors are good readers. But Stephen? I could listen to him read to me happily. 

Keep us updated on new episodes. I’m going to work my way through  your older stuff and look forward to the new. 

Lou_SytsmaFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited February 2022
    And….just listened to episode 100 with Hans, Lou and Bev.  That was fun and interesting to eavesdrop on 2019. 

I have not read The Institute — not even sure what it’s about other than Firestarter related? 

But the movies discussed — IT, Dr. Sleep and Pet Sematary — I enjoyed all of them a lot. I had an internal tug of war with sentimentality, but I found the new all worthy of my time and attention. 

But, the one moment from all of them that sticks with me clearly in my mind to this day is the last couple minutes of Pet Sematary.   Sitting there watching it — my hand went to my mouth and I literally gasped. As a mother, that ending was brutal and where my imagination took it was terrifying.  The film makers made me an active participant in that last couple minutes. If that makes sense without spoilers. 
    FlakeNoirLou_SytsmaGNTLGNT
  • Thanks for your thoughts. The Institute is totally separate from Firestarter though in the days up to its release many of us hoped there would be tie ins to the Shop.

FYI - here are the other episodes, Bev appeared on:
    Ep 2 - Part 1, 18, 19, 34, & 87.

Once the remaining episodes are up, there are ten to go, I'm taking stock of how to do future episodes. Now with the possibility of video, I may do a mixture of audio and video. Possibly, shorter video installments. Maybe a weekly King news video. Still ruminating on ideas.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ....best of luck with the venture, and building on your success....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirLou_Sytsma
  • edited February 2022
    Thanks for your thoughts. The Institute is totally separate from Firestarter though in the days up to its release many of us hoped there would be tie ins to the Shop.

FYI - here are the other episodes, Bev appeared on:
    Ep 2 - Part 1, 18, 19, 34, & 87.

Once the remaining episodes are up, there are ten to go, I'm taking stock of how to do future episodes. Now with the possibility of video, I may do a mixture of audio and video. Possibly, shorter video installments. Maybe a weekly King news video. Still ruminating on ideas.
    Thank you for that quick list.  I like the 3 of you throwing thoughts out to each other so really looking forward to new info and guests when you can get them. 

Again, a heads up when a new episode drops would be great. 
    FlakeNoirLou_SytsmaGNTLGNT

• Again, a heads up when a new episode drops would be great. 
    Noted for future reference.   :)
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....best of luck with the venture, and building on your success....
    Thankee! Big. Big.
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....best of luck with the venture, and building on your success....
    Thankee! Big. Big.
    No Prob GIFs  Tenor
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerLou_Sytsma
  • OK - all the King episodes are up.

Bev makes one more appearance in Episode 111 and covers a lot of territory including his own writing:

"We talk about King's latest book - Later as well as have a water cooler discussion about the latest Stephen King adaptations - Mr Mercedes Season 3, Castle Rock Season 2, & the recent The Stand mini-series. Bev also talks about two of his projects: the just released novella - The Ogilvy Affair and the soon-to-be-released collaboration with Brian Keene - Dissonant Harmonies."

Now, I've have 40 or so writer interviews to convert and upload. 
  • Episode 111 is very good. Enjoyed that one a lot. 
    FlakeNoirLou_SytsmaGNTLGNTKurben
  • Okay, i started listening to one of the writer interviews. The guy. I am so sorry , my brain isn’t grabbing his name. His fiction discussion about psychopaths and today’s world had me so anxious, i had to stop. I slept rough with the half I listened to in my head before bed.  😄
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenLou_Sytsma
  • edited August 2022
    Well it's been awhile but am back at cranking out episodes again.

You can find Episode 113 with a long time podcasting buddy Karen Lindsay where we review Mr. Harrigan's Phone in anticipation of the upcoming movie, here:

Hedda GablerBevVincentGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Well it's been awhile but am back at cranking out episodes again.

You can find Episode 113 with a long time podcasting buddy Karen Lindsay where we review Mr. Harrigan's Phone in anticipation of the upcoming movie, here:

I'll be tuning in.  
    Lou_SytsmaGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Thanks Hedda!
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir