Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Lilja Lou Podcast 2 - Ghosts Battlegrounds

Comments

• edited August 2022
    FYI - also been doing podcasts with Karen and another podcasting buddy - Jesse Jackson - no, not the Reverend!

We're doing a Babylon 5 series watch. It's a big hole in my SF viewing. Karen and I are the rookies and Jesse is the veteran.  You can find them at my Youtube Channel - Lou's Reviews.

We also do side reviews for limited series. So far we have done Midnight Mass. We have also done a review of Devs but that one is still in edit. Hope to have those episodes out in a week or so.

Here is the first of four episodes reviewing Midnight Mass:

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Thanks Hedda!
    Can you tell me how star ratings work?  Can I star you as many times as I want and it counts or can I only do it once, or once a day?  Anytime I've starred people, and I've purposely tried to load their stars to up their ratings, it doesn't seem to count them all even though it thanks me for every single rating I hit.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Thanks Hedda!
    Can you tell me how star ratings work?  Can I star you as many times as I want and it counts or can I only do it once, or once a day?  Anytime I've starred people, and I've purposely tried to load their stars to up their ratings, it doesn't seem to count them all even though it thanks me for every single rating I hit.
    Sorry - where are you doing the ratings? Youtube is only Thumbs up or down.
  • edited August 2022
    Thanks Hedda!
    Sorry - where are you doing the ratings? Youtube is only Thumbs up or down.
    Oh, this isn't an apple podcast?  These are all youtubes?  Good to know.

Thumbs up it is.
    Lou_SytsmaGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Oh, I see all the information up above.  I was jumping ahead of you.   Got it. I'll definitely listen in to your content.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Loved Midnight Mass.   My favorite scene was the Holly Holly Neil Diamond song as the cross bounced back and forth.  Just following it from birds eye view.  I absolutely loved that montage.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited August 2022
    Yes the music choices in the series are fantastic. We spend a fair bit of time talking about them. :)

Our next limited series review will be for Station Eleven based on the book by Emily St. John Mandel. Jesse has seen the series and I just read the book. 
  • people kept telling me to be patient with Babylon 5, that it’s worth being hangin in until it gets good. I couldn’t do it. 
  • It's like Farscape and Fringe - it takes most of the first season to get going. We just did Episode 16 - Legacies, where the serialized storytelling kicks in.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • New Episode! @StephenKing Podcast Ep 114 - Firestarter 2022 Review

Join your hosts - longtime Constant Readers - podcaster - Jess Jackson @JesseJacksonDFW & writer/podcaster - Lou W. Sytsma.

We take a look at the 2022 adaptation of Firestarter.

• It's like Farscape and Fringe - it takes most of the first season to get going. We just did Episode 16 - Legacies, where the serialized storytelling kicks in.

I've never seen Farscape, but I liked Fringe right out of the gate.

• We take a look at the 2022 adaptation of Firestarter.
    I call that "taking one for the team," like the time I watched Creepshow 3 for an essay I was writing for Screem magazine!
  • Yeah, that's what it ended up being. On the flip side, doing episodes like that makes one appreciate the good stuff even more!  :)

BevVincentGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Okay Lou, finished episode 2 of Midnight mass. Super discussion.  I like the hosts ideas with religion, growing up or converting as a knowledge base . 

In the coming episodes, is Storm of the Century discussed? This island setting isn’t unique and Legion tends to like these cut off communities. 

And wasn’t Satan an angel cast out of heaven? Of course this evil would/could have wings. I’m sure someone evil is bitching about not having wings, but this was never a mystery or surprise to me. It appeared to be with your guests. 

Really looking forward to the next episode and makes me want to watch it all over again. 

I’ll add my thumbs up later  when I log into my computer. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • The evil statue the priest finds in the desert in the Exorcist had wings. 

Wings man. 

I also loved that Jesse brought up paraphrasing his paraphrasing “Even the Devil can quote the Bible.” 

Wow. Truer words were never spoken in today’s world. 
    Lou_SytsmaKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Thanks for your great feedback!  If you're up for it, feel free to post them under the videos.

Yes, Lucifer is the fallen angel, indeed.

Sadly, no mention of Storm of the Century was made. My bad, it's an excellent comparison.

We talk more about religion and politics in our Babylon 5 discussions. The show goes there quite often and it can't be avoided. Nor should it.
    KurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I agree with you. I’m up for open discussions on anything — i keep learning that way. 
    And it’s interesting. 

Lou_SytsmaKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited August 2022
    Finished the Midnight Mass discussion.  I enjoyed that.  Have you guys thought about doing Behind Her Eyes?  That's a great series.  I also liked the book idea and if it was the right book, I'd try to read it, but no promises.

Like you Lou, I have found it difficult to focus on reading these last couple years.  Even my focus with shows that I LOVE is tested.   It has nothing to do with quality or story, it's me.  Be sure to keep us posted on the next series you do.

Unfortunately, Babylon 5 isn't in my wheelhouse.  I'm sure it's good, but I have so many other creative endeavors in the queue I must get through and I have found myself being choosy in a way that satisfies my wandering mind.  And not all have been quality, but just comfort shows I watch over and over when I could be watching something brand new.  Sometimes I just want that background noise and comfort of an old,  well-met friend.  If that makes sense.

Anyway, my thoughts on that Midnight Mass ending.

I felt the vampire did NOT make it.  The fact that Leeza all of a sudden says she can't feel her legs -- the connection to that power was gone.  When the vampire perished, so did her ability to walk. In a blink of an eye.  One minute she was running, the next numb.

If it was due to the fact she wasn't taking communion, I think that would be a gradual wearing off. We would have seen signs that she was losing her legs again.  There was no hint she was.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • edited August 2022
    Much obliged. Thanks for listening.

I'll keep Behind Her Eyes in mind. I read the book by Sarah Pinborough and enjoyed it. I've enjoyed all her books.

Our next limited series is Devs - from Alex Garland, who did Ex Machina. You should check that one out. It's already recorded, I'm going through edits to get rid of the - Youknowums.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Here's the first in our next limited series review.

JKLMedia Podcast Drop! All 4 episodes of our review of Alex Garland's FX series - Devs. Join Jesse - @JesseJacksonDFW , Karen - @Aleveria , & Lou as we discuss the first two episodes of the Alex Garland FX series - Devs.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Here's the first in our next limited series review.

JKLMedia Podcast Drop! All 4 episodes of our review of Alex Garland's FX series - Devs. Join Jesse - @JesseJacksonDFW , Karen - @Aleveria , & Lou as we discuss the first two episodes of the Alex Garland FX series - Devs.

You reference a likeness to Mr. Robot in style? I loved that show, so maybe I'll look this up.
    Thanks Lou this was enjoyable and your voice reminded me of Bev's a bit.
    Lou_SytsmaGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:

Thanks Lou this was enjoyable and your voice reminded me of Bev's a bit.
    Really? Must be the Canadian in both of us. ;)

Yeah, if you have seen Ex Machina and dig Mr. Robot - this show will be right up your alley.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben