Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Re: Under the Dome (TV series)

Comments

• Pilot gets series off to a solid start. Great cast, solid SFX. Hopeful this series will turn out to be a winner.

I've read the book and enjoyed it quite a bit. I knew Fahey was a guest role - still hated to see him go. The changes to the book so far have felt unobstrusive. Very interested to see how the series handles the only weak aspect of the book for me - the origin of the dome.
  • I suspect the solution to the dome (which I don't think King was terribly interested in) will be different and we may not find out this season, although at one point I read that they intended to end the season by revealing SOMETHING about it.
  • Under the Dome Blows the Roof Off the Place, Most Watched Summer Debut Since 2007

CBS’ Under the Dome was clearly a hit with its Monday night premiere, drawing 13.1 million total people to troubled li’l Chester’s Mill, Home of Rachelle Lefevre’s Hair.

In the coveted 18-49 demo, the Stephen Kingsian drama series scored a 3.2, likely placing second only to NBC’s coverage of the Stanley Cup finals (which per preliminary numbers is starting off with a sure-to-grow 3.2, plus 8.3 million total viewers).

Under the Dome stands as broadcast TV’s most watched summer premiere since ABC’s The Singing Bee circa 2007 (13.3 mil), and CBS’ most watched summer launch since Big Brother in 2000 (22.3 mil).

In the demo, its CBS’ best summer debut since something called Fire Me Please, in 2005.

Elsewhere, ABC’s The Bachelorette (6.4 mil/1.9) was up 16 percent and two tenths, while Mistresses (3.7 mil/1.1) dipped a tenth versus the Dome. Fox’s penultimate The Goodwin Games (1.6 mil/0.6) was up 14 percent and a tenth.
  • Stephen King to Talk UNDER THE DOME on CBS Sunday Morning

Bestselling author Stephen King says the idea behind putting a clear dome over a small town in his book-turned-CBS series Under the Dome was to highlight what is going on in the world today, he tells Anthony Mason in an interview for CBS SUNDAY MORNING WITH Charles Osgood to be broadcast June 30, 2013 (9:00 AM, ET) on the CBS Television Network.

In the series, the fictional town of Chester's Mill is suddenly encapsulated by a clear dome that does not allow anyone in or out.

"It sort of came to me that if I could put a dome over an American town, it would be a microcosm for what's going on in the world itself, where we have finite resources and we really have nowhere to go," King tells Mason. "I like the idea of a small town, too, because people have got that 'Waltons' vibe, where everybody knows everybody. And I thought, well, if you put people under pressure, what happens then?"

King tells Mason Chester's Mill is modeled after the Maine town of Bridgton, not far from where he spent five years. He says when he wrote the book, he knew exactly where the dome would come down.

In a wide-ranging interview, King talks with Mason about his writing, what inspires his work and his thoughts on movies made based on his books.

King also discusses with Mason his role in the production of Under the Dome and what it means to be called an executive producer. "Well, I think it means that I will be a nice guy and give them pretty much carte blanche when it comes to taking my situation and expanding it," King tells Mason. As an author selling stories, he does keep some control, however. "The idea is I get to have right of first refusal over actors, writers, directors. And I hardly ever use those. I've hardly ever had to because everybody wants the same thing," he says. "They want to do good work."

With a video preview at the link
  • Stephen King and his compulsion to write - from CBS Sunday Morning. As a web extra, there is unaired video and a full transcript.
  • This has turned out to be one of the most disappointing adaptations of a King book yet. Especially given the pedigree of the people involved.

I usually give a series 5 episodes but this one has set its mark pretty clearly now and that mark is a failing grade.
  • I don't consider it an adaptation -- I think of it as a series inspired by the concept of the novel. I'm actually quite happy they're going off in their own direction instead of replicating the events of the book. It makes it more fun to watch, in my opinion, when I don't know what's going to happen next just because I've read the novel.
  • I'm totally down with that too.

The issue I'm having is the characters are not behaving in believable or realistic ways.
  • Bruce Willis Jokes That He's Going 'Under the Dome' (VIDEO) -- playing "the guy who lives right next door to the dome"
  • 183B210B072D20273935540 wrote: I'm totally down with that too.

The issue I'm having is the characters are not behaving in believable or realistic ways.

If it weren't for the lack of interesting new things to watch in the middle of summer and the morbid curiosity to find out what else has changed, I would have tuned out for at least your reasons listed there alone.

For me the book was somewhat annoying at first with the what I thought were the worst (best?) stereotyped characters King had written (a tiny minor gripe that dissolved quickly). But their actions, reactions, and motivations within all worked for me. I can't say the same for the TV show. It's like every character suffers from a combination of bipolar disorder as well as willful ignorance.

I'm a big Y: The Last Man fan, so I'll give Brian K. Vaughn the benefit of the doubt...for a while, anyways. Maybe as the dome gets polluted it will produce a natural visual effect that will give us viewers the illusion that we're watching a really bad, twisted soap opera. ;D
  • "Under the Dome" has been renewed for Season 2. The new season of the CBS summer drama will premiere in 2014.

The series, which is based on the Stephen King book of the same name, will see its first Season 2 episode written by King. "Under the Dome" Season 2 will be 13 episodes.

“We're excited to tell more stories about the mystery of the dome and the secrets in Chester's Mill, and are thrilled to have the master storyteller himself, Stephen King, tell the first one of next season," CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler said in a statement.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/under-the-dome-renewed-season-2-summer-2014_n_3671053.html
  • While the show still has pacing/character problems, at times it feels like an extended version of The Return Of The Archons, the 4th and 5th episode were a step up from the previous two.

There is a real lack of sense of time with the show. In the fifth episode there was a reference to the 4th one as being that morning. Most often, the passage of time is nebulous.
  • On average, you can assume that each episode corresponds to a single day.
  • 54736049407F7875737862160 wrote: On average, you can assume that each episode corresponds to a single day.

Which is what I have been forced to do but which is something that IMO should be a story telling element - especially in this trapped room scenario - the creative powers should be handling in a clear fashion.
  • A Q&A with King to promote the show's debut in the UK.
  • CBS’ drama series Under The Dome got off to a good start last night for UK broadcaster Channel 5.

Airing behind the finale of Big Brother (which peaked with 2.6 million viewers), Stephen King’s 13 episode series premiered to an average of just over 2 million viewers (including+1) and a 12% share. The ratings for the series are well above Channel 5[ch8242]s slot average and outperformed other recent US premieres on the channel such as Person of Interest in August 2012 and its average audience of 1.5 million viewers, but fell short of the 2.9 million viewers that tuned into the series premiere of Dallas in September 2012.
  • 'Under The Dome' Season 2 will premiere on June 30 at 10 p.m. EST, CBS announced on Wednesday (Jan. 15).

The scripted series based on the Stephen King novel of the same name will premiere with an episode written by King. The show tells the story of a town that is sealed off from the rest of the world under an enormous transparent dome.

In a trailer for Season 2 that debuted at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, viewers see that two favorite characters won't survive the first episode and there will be an unexpected kiss.

"'Under The Dome' had appeal," CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler said. "It did well across platforms. Most important thing is it's great escapist TV."

Back in September, TVLine reported that even though Season 2 had yet to debut, the show creators had already planned a series finale. “There is a final ending for 'Under the Dome' that is different than the book," actor Dean Norris told TVLine. "And when it was pitched to Stephen King, he said, ‘Wow. I wish I’d thought of that.’”

• edited January 2014
    Under the Dome" season 2 won't be anything like the book written by Stephen King, according to new spoilers. Can we expect new cast members to be introduced to "Under the Dome" season 2 after the air date?

"Under the Dome" season 2 returns to CBS on Monday, June 30 at 10pm ET/PT. According to BuddyTV.com, CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler said that the new season "goes places the book never went."

Though fans of "Under the Dome" may find this disheartening, Tassler adds that the CBS series is "thrilled to have the master storyteller himself, Stephen King, tell the first episode of next season," she said, thereby confirming that King will remain heavily involved in the writing process of "Under the Dome" season 2.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Because the show must introduce new characters to continue the storyline, new cast members will be introduced after the air date, including: Junior's uncle, who's been hiding out for reasons we find out, and a new teacher who will teach the drama's kids how to arm and keep Chester's Mill running. The teacher will most likely be a rival for Dean Norris' character, Big Jim.

Speaking of Big Jim: a new teaser trailer hints that he and Sheriff Linda share an intimate kiss! 

>>>
    Source

• Newcomer Grace Victoria Cox is the latest addition to the second season of CBS' summer drama, which is executive produced by Steven Spielberg, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively. The casting marks Cox's first screen credit.

The 18-year-old Cox will recur as the lithe, mysterious, beautiful and almost regal Melanie, who catches the eye of Joe (Colin Ford). Poised and ethereal, Melanie is from the right side of the tracks and is a clear contrast to Norrie (Mackenzie Lintz).

Under the Dome recently added CSI: NY star Eddie Cahill and Misfits alum Karla Crome as new series regulars for the upcoming season.

The additions come as Under the Dome is poised to kill off two "favorites" when it returns with its Stephen King-penned season-two premiere on June 30.
  • Looks like the show is aging up. Karla Crome was very good on the UK SF series - Misfits.

But given the lack of an established time line - new cast additions strain plausibility.
  • Under the Dome started filming for Season 2 today and Stephen King is tweeting from the set...

• Dean Norris helps Steve write his next novel:

Embedded image permalink