Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

June '04

Author Bev Vincent

What better way to start off a new month than with exciting news? Guess what was waiting on my front doorstep when I went home at lunchtime today?

It's bound! Exactly the same thing as I had a couple of weeks ago as page proofs, but now in one, tidy, neat little package.

Four more months to go!

Author CRinVA

Very cool indeed! :) Congratulations :)

I am sure that the moment you are really waiting for it to see your book on the rack at your local bookstore! Do you have a target date of release yet?

Well there aren't any copies on ebay just yet! :D :)

Author Lin242

#) Congrats Bev.... that is too exciting! :) Not only for you, but for those of us waiting.....

Lin

Author Rache4173

WOW... :~ :~ :~ You need a drooly smiley guy, Bev... I'd use that one to show my total appreciation for this. ;)

Author Bev Vincent

How's this:

Bob: October 5 is the release date. I doubt any of the galleys have been sent out yet. They're just hot off the press.

Author CRinVA

THANKS!!!!! :D

Author Rache4173

LOL Bev... PERFECT! :D

Author DTUK

What fantastic news, Bev :)

So not much longer to go, for October is just around the corner and down the street aways :)

Author Bev Vincent

It still seems like a loooooong way to go!

For me, the next benchmark will be--the dreaded First Review!

Author DTUK

Will you be appearing on talk-shows also Bev? This is the year that the final DT book will be released and I expect there will be alot of hype and your book will be at the forefront :)

If you did do a televised interview - who would you like to interview you?

Author Bev Vincent

I haven't heard of any plans for anything televised. The only thing I've heard about are some “national radio interviews” and that's as much information on the subject as I have at this point. I'm hoping for NPR (National Public Radio, the radio equivalent of PBS) but it might be a bunch of short interview spots on a local radio programs in different cities. Remains to be seen.

If I were to do TV (we're talking wishful thinking here) I wouldn't mind talking with Charlie Gibson (Good Morning America on ABC). He usually seems to have read at least some of the book when he interviews authors and comes up with some interesting questions.

Author Old Darth

Congratulations Bev! It is a slow birthing process isn't it!?!?

That quote from Stephen King must be very gratifying in itself.

Author newinside

If you are going to do TV, I suggest the Daily Show. :)

Comments

• Author Bev Vincent

Juggling schedules, that's what it's coming down to.

We have review copies stacked up and ready to go...but we can't send them out. The problem, you see, is that galleys of DT7 won't be ready for several weeks yet. King is still working with the copyedited manuscript. Once he's done with that, his changes, corrections and responses have to be keyed into the electronic file and the layout updated. I'm thinking it will be at least early July before Scribner is ready to distribute.

I'm glad that my publisher is sensitive to this issue and decided to consult me about it. King told me he's been sitting on some of the secrets of the series for 30 years and he'd really like for them to be preserved until the book is published...or as close to it as possible.

Some of the big review markets have fairly long lead times, so what we may end up doing is sending the galleys to these markets with cover letters asking them to be sensitive to revealing material that might spoil readers' enjoyment of the seventh Dark Tower book. I think NAL will delay the galley distribution as long as practical without endangering any of the big review deadlines.

The reality is that reviewers won't get a lot of what I've written about if they haven't read DT7, so it makes sense to delay until King's book is distributed. But there are some practical deadlines that might mean my book wouldn't get reviewed.

It's all rather complicated at the moment, but I'm sure it will all shake out in the end.

Author Old Darth

It'll be great we can all discuss the series and your book without having to tiptoe around the issues you outlined Bev.

Author Lin242

Bev, it must be somewhat wild all around with the release of DTVI and DTVII so very close by comparison to the other waiting periods of the series. I can certainly understand Stephen King's desire to guard the sacred secrets. :)

I hope that it all works out to your benefit, but I would expect nothing less of you than being sensitive to that issue, and of course you are. :) Hey, we're all just as excited for your book as the others. The waiting is interminable.

Lin

Author Bev Vincent

The waiting is interminable.

Tell me about it. Four months from tomorrow! Everyone at work kept asking me when my book was coming out, so I put a big OCTOBER 5, 2004 on my office window under the cover picture.

Author BluGilliand

Bev,

That is so awesome to see - I can only imagine how it must have felt to open the package containing that.

Do you have any idea if the Oct. 5 release is also when the Cemetery Dance version comes out? I've pre-ordered it, and am just wondering if the schedule will be around the same.

Thanks!

Blu

Author Bev Vincent

Cemetery Dance is authorized for a simultaneous release, but I'm not sure what their real target date is. Since they are shipping copies of the NAL trade edition, signed by me, to the earliest people who preordered along with the S/L edition, there's going to be some lag involved because they'll have to get the trade copies to me to be signed and then pack to them for shipping.

Author Lin242

Tell me about it. Four months from tomorrow! Everyone at work kept asking me when my book was coming out, so I put a big OCTOBER 5, 2004 on my office window under the cover picture.

Who says you're not famous yet. #)

I am so so happy I pre-ordered a signed copy of your book. :D

Lin

Author DTUK

Me too :)

I can't wait for a no-holds barred discussion on the entire series along with Bev's book...should keep us very busy posting for ages to come :)

Author CRinVA

I agree wholeheartedly DTUK - can't wait to see what Bev has to offer. What little I know of Bev I I know I believe we are in for a treat!. Bev, your book has a reserved spot right next to my Grant DT editions! :)

Author Bev Vincent

The next step along the road: Amazon now has the cover up on the book page.

Author DTUK

CRinVA: Great minds think alike, matey :)

I will be placing Bev's book right next to my Viking editions :)

Just checked Amazon, Bev, and the page with your book on looks great :)
  • Ah, now things are settling into place. Bev, you have been very busy today! :)

Lin
  • You have NO idea! Each individual thread from the old board is in a file, and each complete post is on a single line in that file, so I have written macros to insert the correct line breaks, delete some old CuteCast-specific code and add the Author: stuff. It's a fairly slow process. Fortunately it's a quiet day!
  • OMG... Bev!!! Yep... quiet day indeed in order to have the patience to do all of that.

Wow. :o
  • I am impressed, Bev. I don't think I would have the patience for all of that, and pretty much all of my days are quiet. :)
  • I'll add some more old material back in later on today, once I get caught up.

We're now down to less than four months. Woo-hee! At this late stage in the game, my publisher decided to spring for adding a blurb from Peter Straub to the back cover if we can get something from him in time. Stay tuned!

I met with the Community Relations Manager from our local Barnes and Noble last night while attending a signing by one of my friends. He mentioned that I had a book coming out and she nodded politely, but the more I told her about it the more enthusiastic she got until at the end she thought that my very first signing had to be at their store. She seemed impressed by the marketing plan my publisher is implementing and the King blurb.
  • You have NO idea! Each individual thread from the old board is in a file, and each complete post is on a single line in that file, so I have written macros to insert the correct line breaks, delete some old CuteCast-specific code and add the Author: stuff.

Now I do!! arggghh... you must have the patience of a saint! Lucky for us. :)

Oh, that would be cool on the Straub thing! That lady would be very smart to have you there... this all sounds very exciting!! Sure wish we lived closer to Texas.

Lin :)
  • I met with the Community Relations Manager from our local Barnes and Noble last night while attending a signing by one of my friends. He mentioned that I had a book coming out and she nodded politely, but the more I told her about it the more enthusiastic she got until at the end she thought that my very first signing had to be at their store. She seemed impressed by the marketing plan my publisher is implementing and the King blurb.
    Fantastic news!!! About the Straub quote too!! ;D
  • Man, I can imagine the King blurb would be the highlight. Well, for me it would be...imagine ANYTHING in your life not just endorsed, but HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by King? I can't even imagine. I can't wait for this to come out, Bev. ;D Good on you. :D:D
  • I just spent 30 minutes on the phone with a reporter for the local newspaper who is working on an article about writers in the area. The piece will run in the paper next week, and if it is on-line, I'll provide a link. History tells me that 30 minutes of interview will probably get boiled down to a few paragraphs, especially since the article covers a number of writers, but any publicity is good!

I also made my first formal contact with the B&N community relations manager to discuss setting up a signing for this fall.
  • Carman From Southpark

SHHHHWEEEEEETTTTT!
  • Bev, the ball is starting to roll! Enjoy the ride!
  • Finally! All the old entries from the Road to the Dark Tower weblog are back!
  • Wow -- I mentioned my Amazon sales ranking a while back, but the first figure I observed I think was probably just a system glitch while they were setting the book up.

A week or so ago, the ranking was just over a million, which was comparable to From the Borderlands, which made sense to me.

Last Friday, it was something like 84,000 -- the increase pleased me immensely.

Today it is a stunning 9,514! It's inside that 10,000 threshhold which holds mystical power in the Amazon reality space!

Based on customer purchases, this is the #68 Early Adopter Product in Science Fiction & Fantasy.

The CD limited has a sales ranking of 2,639,441!
  • Cool stuff - everything!

The blurbs, the signing, the local writer's article, the amazon.com thingy!

Way to go Bev - can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this one! Only wish Texas was a bit closer! :)
  • Bev,

That is great news, matey :)

Amazon sales ranking's I am slowly discovering, show how something will play through the broader medium market. And your work is certainly doing well. I am truly starting to believe that something that does well on Amazon will do well elsewhere also :)

:)
  • Yeah Bev, congrats on all the great (and EXPECTED by all of us) news!!

Back to one of the first posts in this thread, I finally read the USAToday and a couple other reviews of SoS after finishing it and there is no 'freakin way I'm reading anything even remotely linked to DTVII before finishing it. I like surprises and SK clearly has a bunch he's excited about and wants to hit us with and I want to be a Constant Reader that is smacked right in the face and gasping as I read it!
  • Brian Keene, winner of this year's Stoker for First Novel, invited me to hold a reading, Q&A and signing at this year's Horrorfind West, which will be in Phoenix concurrently with World Fantasy. I'll let you know more when I know more.
  • ...and the hits just keep on coming!!!!

Once again, congrats all your latest accomplishments!
  • Amazon sales ranking today: 7,114. Steady progress!

Up to #61 as an Early Adopter Product in Science Fiction & Fantasy.
  • You will be doing battle with King himself in no time lol
  • Can you say domino effect? :) 8)

Continued congrats on all these wonderful happenings!

Lin :)
  • Thanks, all. A terrific blurb from Peter Straub came through just before lunch as well. I'll make sure it's okay to post it before I spill the beans, but it's way cool.  :D

Here it is:
    Bev Vincent is a true King insider, and all of his knowledge radiates through this comprehensive meditation on the Dark Tower books. His book is essential to every reader of Stephen King's magnificent work.

• :o What a blurb!!!! OMG!!!! ;D ;D ;D