Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Gwendy Trilogy (with Richard Chizmar)

Comments

• GNTLGNT said:
    ...the limited/signed edition sold out in a matter of a few hours, but I did land the "standard" edition....
    Was that through the Collector's Club? I don't see it up for pre-order on the CD site yet.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ...the limited/signed edition sold out in a matter of a few hours, but I did land the "standard" edition....
    Was that through the Collector's Club? I don't see it up for pre-order on the CD site yet.

...yeah Grant, it was a pre-order for members....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGrant87
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Grant87 said:
    GNTLGNT said:

...yeah Grant, it was a pre-order for members....
    Gotcha, thank you.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • .....what I will do is save my re-reads of the first two, until the release of #3-then binge through them....nothing new in that approach but I think it will help me appreciate each writers voice and the blending of same, even more....
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda Gabler
  • I still need to get the second book. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    .....what I will do is save my re-reads of the first two, until the release of #3-then binge through them....nothing new in that approach but I think it will help me appreciate each writers voice and the blending of same, even more....
    I'm gonna do the same. I haven't read Feather yet, and I was going to read them soon, but I'll wait until closer to the release of the 3rd book.

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • ....I'm due for a re-read on the first two anyway, so this will be as good an excuse as any.... ;)
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • My interview with Rich and Steve about their collaboration on Gwendy's Button Box will appear in this book, due out later this year.

FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTnot_nadineHedda GablerLou_Sytsma
  • My interview with Rich and Steve about their collaboration on Gwendy's Button Box will appear in this book, due out later this year.

This is such a great cover.
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • .....will there be stories in this Bev, or is it strictly essays, educational, interviews etc.?....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    .....will there be stories in this Bev, or is it strictly essays, educational, interviews etc.?....
    Strictly essays and interviews
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Brian Keene announced the following in his weekly newsletter:
    I'll be finishing PROJECT CASTLE, which some wily readers have figured out is a graphic novel adaptation of Stephen King and Richard Chizmar's Gwendy's Button Box, and it is... except that it's actually a lot more than that since it's going to include stuff that isn't in the novel. And yes, it is fun to play in Castle Rock. Indeed, this is the most fun I've ever had playing with settings and characters and franchises other than my own.

GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirLou_Sytsma
  • I'm interested to see how the series ends. So far, Farris has acted like a benevolent benefactor. Been waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • There are some interesting developments -- I interviewed the authors about the project and asked a specific question about who Farris might be.
    GNTLGNTLou_SytsmaHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • ....I still envy you and your "sit downs" with these two guys....my dream interviews....
    BevVincentKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Brian posted a page from the script for "Project Castle" in his weekly newsletter.

He also mentions texting me to get facts for his work -- I got to dig into Castle Rock's history for him!
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaro
  • ....I find it rather charming that Steve still feels the need to identify himself.....
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda Gabler
  • Page one and we have mentions of masks and coronavirus. Ugh.

So it sounds like the button box is public knowledge? I'm interested to read more about that.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Finally a review of Final Task, courtesy of Bill Sheehan at the Washington Post.  Somewhat SPOILERY, I think.

Stephen King and Richard Chizmar’s Gwendy saga comes to a satisfying conclusion

By Bill Sheehan
    Today at 7:00 a.m. EST

With the publication of “Gwendy’s Final Task,” one of the more memorable collaborative enterprises of recent years comes to an end. The Gwendy saga began in 2017 with “Gwendy’s Button Box,” a tightly constructed short novel co-written by Stephen King and Cemetery Dance publisher Richard Chizmar. In 2019, Chizmar carried the story forward with “Gwendy’s Magic Feather,” a solo effort that effectively maintained the tone and overall ambiance of its predecessor. For this final volume, the prolific King has rejoined the narrative, and the result is the longest, strangest, most satisfying installment in the trilogy.

“Gwendy’s Final Task” contains enough backstory and explanatory detail to stand on its own, but familiarity with the earlier volumes is recommended. Together, the three books constitute a single long narrative encompassing the life and times of its eponymous hero, Gwendy Peterson, an ordinary young woman handed an extraordinary — and inescapable — responsibility: preserving the universe.

The story begins in 1974 in Castle Rock, Maine — ground zero of the Stephen King fictional universe — and ends, more than 50 years later, in outer space. The precipitating event is an encounter between Gwendy, then a determined, slightly overweight 12-year-old, and an enigmatic stranger named Richard Farris, who may not be entirely human. Farris tells Gwendy that she has been chosen as temporary caretaker of a mysterious and potent object called the Button Box, which possesses powers both destructive and benign. The box will come into Gwendy’s possession on three separate occasions, and her stewardship of it will define — and alter — the entire course of her life.

The box itself is a mahogany artifact with levers at each end and eight color-coded buttons across the top. The levers dispense treats: exquisite animal-shaped chocolates and vintage silver dollars minted in 1891. The colored buttons have a darker function. Each is associated with a specific continent, and depressing any of these buttons will literally destroy its corresponding continent. A black button — what Gwendy comes to think of as the Cancer Button — will destroy everything. The Box, in effect, is a Doomsday Machine whose nature and origin are unresolvable mysteries. It is also a burden, one that Gwendy will carry for many years to come.

The first two volumes take us through the first few decades of Gwendy’s life, from awkward adolescence through an increasingly accomplished adulthood that includes successful careers in literature and politics. At the same time, her periodic stewardship of the Button Box brings its own share of stresses and responsibilities. As the final volume opens, the world has changed — and darkened — considerably, and Gwendy’s role as guardian has changed as well.

“Gwendy’s Final Task” begins in 2026. The coronavirus still exists, and cautious older people still wear masks. International threats and internal political divisions have deepened. The Button Box itself has grown increasingly unpredictable, as though reflecting the instability of the outside world. Gwendy, now 64, is a Democratic senator from Maine, and she carries a pair of enormous secrets. The first is the existence of the box, which has reentered her life for a final time. The second is the fact that, possibly because of long-term exposure to the box, she is in the initial stages of Alzheimer’s disease.

Complicating matters further is a new and unforeseen factor. Powerful, inhuman forces have focused their attention on the Button Box — and on the black button that threatens the existence of all living things. As the forces of chaos and discord reveal themselves, it becomes clear that the Gwendy saga is part of a larger, overarching fictional universe: the world of King’s Dark Tower. The forces attempting to acquire the box are the same ones attempting to bring down the Tower, which holds together an infinite number of possible worlds. Their continued existence depends on Gwendy and on the successful completion of her final task.

The task now is to rid the world — all worlds — of the box she has spent her life protecting. To do so, she must travel to the only place where the box can be safely disposed of: outer space. In a carefully prepared scenario, Gwendy travels to a newly constructed international space station, at which point her own destiny and the destiny of the Button Box converge. Combating an array of opposing forces — chief among them her declining mental faculties — she struggles to complete the task assigned to her more than 50 years before. The final pages are both satisfying and unexpectedly moving. Like its predecessors, “Gwendy’s Final Task” is both a seamless act of collaboration and a deeply felt reflection on the perilous state of our fractured modern world.

Bill Sheehan is the author of “At the Foot of the Story Tree: An Inquiry into the fiction of Peter Straub.”

Gwendy’s Final Task

By Stephen King and Richard Chizmar

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Most of what he discloses is revealed very early in the novel.
    Grant87GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Here is my exploration of Gwendy's Final Task.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerLou_Sytsma
  • box with buttons that, when pushed, produce treats or death and destruction. 
    this line from the Post article made me think of my ex-wife when she got around an oven.....
    FlakeNoirGrant87KurbenHedda Gabler