Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

July '04

Comments

• Bev_Vincent wrote:

Joey: Welcome to the board. All of the Cemetery Dance hardcovers will be signed by me. One of these days, I expect a box of 1000+ signature sheets to show up on my front doorstep.

Thanks for the info Bev. Better your arm than mine ;)

Are there any plans for appearances/signings in the greater Toronto area?

Take care,

Joey
  • Penguin Putnam. Is Signet under the company? And NAL? And Viking?

Just can't get these publishing companies straighten out
  • sunny99 wrote: Penguin Putnam. Is Signet under the company? And NAL? And Viking?

Just can't get these publishing companies straighten out

Sunny99, I believe they are all branches of the same parent company.

Here's a little history on Penguin Putnam:

http://www.penguinputnam.com/static/packages/us/about/history.htm

Take care

Joey
  • Joey, you are my saviour ;D

Nice turtle avatar. What's her name?
  • sunny99 wrote: Joey, you are my saviour  ;D

Nice turtle avatar. What's her name?

Sköldpadda

It's from one of the Stanza lmage in SoS :)
  • Joey wrote:

Are there any plans for appearances/signings in the greater Toronto area?

None at present. I'll let everyone here know if that changes.

Penguin Putnam. Is Signet under the company? And NAL? And Viking?

Penguin Putnam is the parent company and it has a number of divisions that specializes in different kinds of publications.
  • Penguin Putnam is the parent company and it has a number of divisions that specializes in different kinds of publications

Thanks Bev. You came through, as always :)
  • It's never the same twice, anyway!

I'm the same way, my writing "style" is determined by the type of pen or pencil I use. I do try and maintain the same signature on legal documents and cheques, etc. I'll be interested to see my "second" version of your John Henry. :)

Lin
  • Has anyone been told to provide a thumbprint identification by a bank officer because of a slight difference of curve in the signature from previous ones? I have. And needless to say, he was a meticulous officer but I guess he was just doing his job. But it was embarassing :-[
  • Penguin is actually no longer Penguin Putnam, it's Penguin Group (USA). Putnam is one imprint/division of Penguin, as is Viking, Dutton, Chamberlain Bros. (shameless plug for my new gig), and NAL.

NAL is a commercial imprint that has several lines of its own - Signet, Onyx, Roc, Caliber, and NAL hard/trade. It's all just a method to organize, prioritize, and brand. With some minor exceptions, I don't think the book-buying public notices the logo on the spine all that much, but the book-sellers do. With all the books Penguin publishes each month, too much would get lost in the middle if they were all lumped together, the same for the other publishing houses.
  • Thanks for setting us straight on that, Ron!

19 bonus board points to the first person who can figure out the significance of Ron's handle on the board.
  • It looks like an address...the location of the Rose?  :-/

On a rethink here, and since Ron sounds like he understands publishing - a guess here, but is it the address of a publishing house that publishes the Dark Tower books?
  • Here's a hint: Dukky has less of a chance of getting the answer than, say, CrinVa...
  • Bill Buckner!

Is that spelled right?
  • We have a winner!
  • How many bonus points do I need to collect before I win anything? :)
  • That's thing with board points...you just never know. You might already have won, or it might take a lot more.

Fun, eh? 8)
  • OMG! new, how did you figure that out... I've been looking, based on your answer - does it mean 1986 World Series, plus Error 3 (first-base position)?

That was really clever of you to figure that out!....

Lin :)
  • :-[ :-[ :-[I'm ashamed I didn't figure it out! :-[ :-[ :-[

Way to go new!
  • Lin242 wrote: OMG! new, how did you figure that out... I've been looking, based on your answer - does it mean 1986 World Series, plus Error 3 (first-base position)?

That was really clever of you to figure that out!....

Lin :)

yep, that's it. I don't think I would have gotten it if Bev hadn't given that clue. Since there was just a baseball conversation with Bob, it just sort of popped into my head.
  • yep, that's it. I don't think I would have gotten it if Bev hadn't given that clue. Since there was just a baseball conversation with Bob, it just sort of popped into my head.

Popped? Sounds like a solid hit to me! OMG, that's so bad. ;)

In any event, very well done -- once you said Bill's name, the E3 I figured out first, THEN it made sense. :)

Lin
  • Still sounds like Greek to me..... ;D
  • All ya got to remember Lou is it is just another part of the Curse of the Bambino!  :o

Would that make it all Italian - not all Greek ??? ???

;D ;D
  • It's okay Lou, just have some Pi, you'll feel better. :P

Lin
  • Cute - Linny - Cute