Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

If It Bleeds

Comments

• spideyman said:
    On the last story now. Was so good to see Holly again.  So far, this book is an easy and enjoyable read. Feels like "home". 
    You got that right spidey!
    cat
  • ....reading the last now myself.....enjoyed spending time with Holly and the gang again, but thought the plot was too derivative, and to many "look backs"......
    cat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....reading the last now myself.....enjoyed spending time with Holly and the gang again, but thought the plot was too derivative, and to many "look backs"......
    Felt the look backs gave insight  into the character of Holly for those who(m) have not read  the trilogy or Outsider. 
    catGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • spideyman said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....reading the last now myself.....enjoyed spending time with Holly and the gang again, but thought the plot was too derivative, and to many "look backs"......
    Felt the look backs gave insight  into the character of Holly for those who(m) have not read  the trilogy or Outsider. 
    ....oh I got that, just felt a little clunky after a bit.....could be my mindset right now as well....
    Hedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Notaro said:
    Checked the supermarket again today,t hey had Elevation in stock. They really need to up their game.
    Oh dear...
    (at least your supermarket does have a game, ours carries no books at all. Magazines only. sigh)
    That's a pity, maybe when lockdown restrictions are eased a bit we can both finally get it in a proper bookstore. 
    ....TWSS!!!!!!......
    Oh my goodness... days later and I finally 'got' it. (don't you TWSS me on that :D )

Also: re: If it Bleeds... the library phoned me yesterday while I was getting my parents groceries (yes, I was an annoying shopper on her phone lol) and if they have it, they're going to put it on the mobile book bus for me tomorrow or the next day! Stoked! 

GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Notaro said:
    Checked the supermarket again today,t hey had Elevation in stock. They really need to up their game.
    Oh dear...
    (at least your supermarket does have a game, ours carries no books at all. Magazines only. sigh)
    That's a pity, maybe when lockdown restrictions are eased a bit we can both finally get it in a proper bookstore. 
    ....TWSS!!!!!!......
    Oh my goodness... days later and I finally 'got' it. (don't you TWSS me on that :D )

Also: re: If it Bleeds... the library phoned me yesterday while I was getting my parents groceries (yes, I was an annoying shopper on her phone lol) and if they have it, they're going to put it on the mobile book bus for me tomorrow or the next day! Stoked! 

Did you get it?

I'm going to start the second story today.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    Notaro said:
    Oh dear...
    ....TWSS!!!!!!......

Did you get it?

I'm going to start the second story today.
    So.... ( @Bev am I allowed to swear here?) the @$%&;@!% library bus brought me a small selection of books today. Yes, they included the 2nd Harry Potter book, (brilliant!) yes they included a Meg Gardiner book--2 actually, one I have read and one I have not. (also brilliant!) Did I also get Stephen King's latest book?
    Well.... let me just upload a picture...
    GNTLGNT
  • This is the Stephen King book the library included in my drop-off: 

(I can't really blame them, this is the first time they've offered this service and I'm guessing they're run off their feet. Today is only the 2nd day they've been doing deliveries. :D )

Incidentally, that is the book title, the author's name is below. (out of shot, I'm trying not to advertise on Bev's site) 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    This is the Stephen King book the library included in my drop-off: 

(I can't really blame them, this is the first time they've offered this service and I'm guessing they're run off their feet. Today is only the 2nd day they've been doing deliveries. :D )

Incidentally, that is the book title, the author's name is below. (out of shot, I'm trying not to advertise on Bev's site) 
    Oh no!  That is hilarious but sucks all at the same time!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • FlakeNoir said:
    This is the Stephen King book the library included in my drop-off: 

Kitty is happy-- Can you re order a delivery?
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • ...lay the cat on the dust jacket, so that you don't obscure "Kings" and then squint really hard.....anything?????........dammit!.........
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • That's just too funny, Flake!  Hope you get the real one soon!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • I think I'm first on the reservations list, I'm guessing they didn't access those when they delivered the books they brought out to homes last week. :D 
    I suspect their copies probably hadn't arrived either just yet, there have been interruptions in mail/freight with the lock-down. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited May 2020
    I'm on the "If It Bleeds" story.

I have only read the first Mr. Mercedes book and I haven't read The Outsider.  But, I am struggling a bit with the portrayal of Holly in the book I have read and the "If It Bleeds" story compared to the Holly on the miniseries The Outsider.  

They don't seem to be the same person to me.  

Can someone tell me if reading the other two books in the Mr. Mercedes trilogy and the actual Outsider tightens up that character and her personality traits, flat affect, social awkwardness that we see in the series?
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Holly has personality issues, but they are portrayed differently in THE OUTSIDER television series from how they are in the MR. MERCEDES series and subtly different again from how King depicts her. We get to see her evolve from a very mousy, diffident character in MR. MERCEDES throughout the series and into THE OUTSIDER. She gets stronger and more confident thanks in large part to Bill Hodges' support and faith in her.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • I am very late to the conversations regarding Holly Gibney's world.  I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times, but not for me.

Is Ralph Anderson in The Outsiders, If It Bleeds little vampire Ralphie Anderson from Storm of the Century all grown up?.

I mean, the creature feeds off of pain, suffering, misery and is called a psychic vampire.  Little Ralphie is a known vampire.  Is he a cop on purpose, hiding in plain site, working cases of pain, suffering and misery?
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • No -- just two characters who happen to have the same common name.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • I'm pretty disgusted with myself. I'd been really busy when If It Bleeds became available from the library, so it sat untouched for the first 2 of my 3 week loan. Basically I managed to read the first story (Mr. Harrigan's Phone) before having to return the copy today.
    I loved this story, in no time at all I was completely invested in the characters. I pretty much knew where it was going right away, but that didn't detract from my enjoying the trip.
    There were several (new) little pearlers woven into this story, little insights from Stephen that make you smile and nod in recognition. I love what he does with words. 

Currently I have The Institute here, once I've read this perhaps If It Bleeds will be available for another go round. 
    Hedda GablerNotarocatGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I'm pretty disgusted with myself. I'd been really busy when If It Bleeds became available from the library, so it sat untouched for the first 2 of my 3 week loan. Basically I managed to read the first story (Mr. Harrigan's Phone) before having to return the copy today.
    I loved this story, in no time at all I was completely invested in the characters. I pretty much knew where it was going right away, but that didn't detract from my enjoying the trip.
    There were several (new) little pearlers woven into this story, little insights from Stephen that make you smile and nod in recognition. I love what he does with words. 

Currently I have The Institute here, once I've read this perhaps If It Bleeds will be available for another go round. 
    I still haven't read The Institute.  Let me know what you think.
    NotarocatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Finally got If It Bleeds, cover is different though, not the cool cat/rat face.

Loved the book,  Mr. Harrigan's Phone was a nice creepy story, Flake is right, you can see where it's going early on but it doesn't lessen the enjoyment. The Life of Chuck was good if a little weird,  one part of the story has Chuck dancing to a street musician which I thought dragged a bit but it being S.K. you know it's not going to end well. If It Bleeds is a continuation of The Outsider, it's clever and scary and I'd definitely love to see more Holly Gibney stories in the future. Rat, this is actually my favourite story in the book, a struggling writer gets an idea for a novel and goes to his isolated cabin to write it,  while there he has a chance encounter with a rat....nuff said. Definitely S.K. on top form on my opinion. 
    BevVincentcatGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • FlakeNoir said:
    I'm pretty disgusted with myself. I'd been really busy when If It Bleeds became available from the library, so it sat untouched for the first 2 of my 3 week loan. Basically I managed to read the first story (Mr. Harrigan's Phone) before having to return the copy today.

....it was a "flashback" kind of story for me, took me into the Wayback Machine-for a trip to an early SK feel.....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gablercat
  • Question: is there any The Dark Tower references? 
    GNTLGNTcat
  • Question: is there any The Dark Tower references? 
    ....well, I guess you could consider the children "Breakers" of a sort......

EdwardJohncat
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Question: is there any The Dark Tower references? 
    ....well, I guess you could consider the children "Breakers" of a sort......

Very cool, thanks. :)
    catGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:

I definitely will! 
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNT