Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Fairy Tale — September 6, 2022

Legendary storyteller Stephen King goes deep into the well of his imagination in this spellbinding novel about a seventeen-year-old boy who inherits the keys to a parallel world where good and evil are at war, and the stakes could not be higher—for their world or ours.

Charlie Reade looks like a regular high school kid, great at baseball and football, a decent student. But he carries a heavy load. His mom was killed in a hit-and-run accident when he was ten, and grief drove his dad to drink. Charlie learned how to take care of himself—and his dad. Then, when Charlie is seventeen, he meets Howard Bowditch, a recluse with a big dog in a big house at the top of a big hill. In the backyard is a locked shed from which strange sounds emerge, as if some creature is trying to escape. When Mr. Bowditch dies, he leaves Charlie the house, a massive amount of gold, a cassette tape telling a story that is impossible to believe, and a responsibility far too massive for a boy to shoulder.

Because within the shed is a portal to another world—one whose denizens are in peril and whose monstrous leaders may destroy their own world, and ours. In this parallel universe, where two moons race across the sky, and the grand towers of a sprawling palace pierce the clouds, there are exiled princesses and princes who suffer horrific punishments; there are dungeons; there are games in which men and women must fight each other to the death for the amusement of the “Fair One.” And there is a magic sundial that can turn back time.

A story as old as myth, and as startling and iconic as the rest of King’s work, Fairy Tale is about an ordinary guy forced into the hero’s role by circumstance, and it is both spectacularly suspenseful and satisfying.
KurbenFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTLou_SytsmaGrant87Hedda GablerNeesy

Comments

• Yes! I want it.
    FlakeNoircatGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • This one sounds delicious. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • ....smells like The Territories.....in a good way....
    catHedda GablerNeesy
  • edited January 2022
    This is a HUGE surprise. Thought his next book was a Holly Gibney story!?!?!?

Could there be three King books out this year? Gwendy book, Fairy Tale, and a Holly Gibney book too?
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablercatNeesy
  • A Boy and His Dog.  :)

BevVincentHedda GablerGNTLGNTcatKurbenNeesy
  • edited January 2022
    Legendary storyteller Stephen King goes deep into the well of his imagination in this spellbinding novel about a seventeen-year-old boy who inherits the keys to a parallel world where good and evil are at war, and the stakes could not be higher—for their world or ours.

Charlie Reade looks like a regular high school kid, great at baseball and football, a decent student. But he carries a heavy load. His mom was killed in a hit-and-run accident when he was ten, and grief drove his dad to drink. Charlie learned how to take care of himself—and his dad. Then, when Charlie is seventeen, he meets Howard Bowditch, a recluse with a big dog in a big house at the top of a big hill. In the backyard is a locked shed from which strange sounds emerge, as if some creature is trying to escape. When Mr. Bowditch dies, he leaves Charlie the house, a massive amount of gold, a cassette tape telling a story that is impossible to believe, and a responsibility far too massive for a boy to shoulder.

Because within the shed is a portal to another world—one whose denizens are in peril and whose monstrous leaders may destroy their own world, and ours. In this parallel universe, where two moons race across the sky, and the grand towers of a sprawling palace pierce the clouds, there are exiled princesses and princes who suffer horrific punishments; there are dungeons; there are games in which men and women must fight each other to the death for the amusement of the “Fair One.” And there is a magic sundial that can turn back time.

A story as old as myth, and as startling and iconic as the rest of King’s work, Fairy Tale is about an ordinary guy forced into the hero’s role by circumstance, and it is both spectacularly suspenseful and satisfying.
    So a bit like everything. Every sentence of that reminded me of something else, and not necessarily King related. But the over all feel is Talismanic and i’m on board with that. 

God let me live till October so I can read this book. (Yes, i know it’s published in September, i need time to read it too)

@lou — i hope this dog isn’t sniffing out the  same as don johnson’s dog.  😳
    GNTLGNTcatKurbenNeesyLou_Sytsma
  • edited January 2022
    Saw the Kindle listing for this last night but couldn't post.  No print listing right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tale-Stephen-King-ebook/dp/B09QXZB6SK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2IRLXC2KUZHTL&keywords=stephen+king+fairy+tale&qid=1642970127&sprefix=stephen+king+fairy%2Caps%2C484&sr=8-1

Also, the Simon and Schuster listing says the hardback will be 608 pages with a list price of $32.50.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Fairy-Tale/Stephen-King/9781668002179
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • ....despite all the familiar sounding trappings, I have faith that King will flavor this concoction with his own finger lickin' good blend of mental herbs and spices....
    catKurbenFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Ooooo! Lots of Kingverse connections in that piece!
    BevVincentKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcatNeesy
  • Philippa Pride, King’s UK editor at Hodder, said: “Following the number one bestselling thriller Billy Summers, master storyteller Stephen King now turns his amazing imagination to the world of the fairytale. If you grew up reading the Brothers Grimm and came of age watching ‘Stranger Things’, you will relish this fabulous new novel which reminds us of both the richness of fairytales and the darker side of the ‘happily ever after’. Charlie’s quest to save his dog by entering a magical yet decaying land will certainly pull at your heartstrings, and we can’t wait to share this very special book with King’s legions of fans this summer.” 
    GNTLGNTcatHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirNeesy
  • ...I placed an order through CD for mine.....yeah, yeah, yeah-I know it'll be forever and a day before I get it, but Rich and his team are good folken.....
    catHedda GablerKurbenNeesy
  • catcat
    edited January 2022
    I haven't read the excerpt yet. I usually don't, I prefer to wait...but I can't stop thinking about this book, so I might break tradition. I am really looking forward to it. September seems forever away! 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerKurbenNeesy
  • Oh man. Bad news. I read that excerpt and i’ve turned into one of “them.”   

A contradiction. Harmless.  But stood out to me. 

catGNTLGNTKurben
  • Two interesting observations have turned up about the US cover:
    1) The lantern and stairway invoke the eye of the Crimson King
    2) The lantern and stairway invoke The Eyes of the Dragon.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • There's a musical aspect to the cover, too, with the title on a treble clef.
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • I've spent the last few months thinking the next King book was going to be a Holly-centered novel set during the pandemic. So yes, I'm excited for this one. I'm not even a big fantasy guy, but I can't wait to get lost in this world.
    GNTLGNTBevVincentKurbenFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • From the KingCast interview: "I've got a book coming in the fall called FAIRY TALE and that is also about another world, but I tried to keep it as separate from the world of Gilead and all the associated places with the Dark Tower as possible and even then it crept in a little bit. It always creeps in."
    KurbencatHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesyFlakeNoirLou_Sytsma
  • edited March 2022
    I am so excited for this one. 

Eyes of the Dragon and The Talisman are both in my top 10 Kings. Not that there will be a smidge of either crossing into this new book. But I love King fantasy and fairy tale. (No pun intended) Love it. 
    KurbencatGNTLGNTNeesyFlakeNoir
  • SK responded yesterday to a fan's tweet giving praise for Later and Seth Numrich's reading of it by saying "Seth will be back! And soon!!"  I'm guessing this means he'll be reading Fairy Tale, but it's not confirmation, obviously.
    BevVincentHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited April 2022
    I haven't anticipated an SK book quite as much as this one in a long time.  I love his fantasy/fairy tale brain.  Tell me the story Stephen.  I will tilt at windmills with you.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTLou_Sytsma
  • British cover:

GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • I was wondering where the British cover was.  As usual, though, I like the US cover better.
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTGrant87
  • I was wondering where the British cover was.  As usual, though, I like the US cover better.
    ...agreed......the one above I would liken to an old paint-by-number kit....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy