Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Fairy Tale — September 6, 2022

Comments

• I am going to the bookstore tomorrow after work to pick up my book! Really excited about it.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircatHedda Gabler
  • Thanks to Stephen King and Seth Numrich, already in love with Radar and FairyTale!
    GNTLGNTBevVincentFlakeNoircatHedda Gabler
  • Ended up doubling my daily walk from 30 mins to 1 hour because I didn't want to stop listening to Fairy Tale by StephenKing

The occasional no see'em may have gotten in my eyes. ;)
    FlakeNoirBevVincentcatGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Waited impatiently all day for UPS. We always get our packages at the end of the day, we're at the end of the route. My book finally got here and the cover has something all over it, it looks like maybe glue or something similar that was then smeared around, like someone tried to wipe it off. And the binding is loose, the first few pages have that "crack" along the edge, already separating from the spine. 

I arranged to have a replacement sent. I was not very happy about the condition of my book. The shipping box was not damaged, it was definitely put in the box that way. 

Hate not having a bookstore in town! 

Then I started reading. Love it already, am in the middle if Ch 5. 
    GNTLGNTKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • I'm grumbling!! The bookstore that said they (the books) would have arrived was wrong. They (they have three stores in sweden) had the book in Gothenburg but not in Stockholm and couldn't tell me when it would arrive. I was practically sprouting withdrawal symptoms but he didn't seem to notice... "perhaps by friday?" was all i got from him. GRRRR!!1
    catGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • ...you'll have it before me I suspect....snail mail from CD.....
    catKurbenHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • My patience ran out today...... I went to another bookchain in another part of town. Sure enough they had it. Brought it home with me. Read 15 pages and i'm totally captivated. I obviously needed a dose of King in my veins!!
    catHedda Gablernot_nadineLou_SytsmaGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited September 2022
    Got it.  Maybe 5 pages in.  Set it aside.  I wanted it and wanted it and wanted it and now I have it and I start to read and my eyes get heavy.  I may have to do this audio.  It's not that I don't want to read it, but I tire so quickly and easily.  I immediately want to sleep.  Jeezo peezo.  I don't know what to say.

GNTLGNTKurbencatFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Got it.  Maybe 5 pages in.  Set it aside.  I wanted it and wanted it and wanted it and now I have it and I start to read and my eyes get heavy.  I may have to do this audio.  It's not that I don't want to read it, but I tire so quickly and easily.  I immediately want to sleep.  Jeezo peezo.  I don't know what to say.

I have heard the audio is great if you decide to go that way. But if not, don't get discouraged, just go at your own pace. ❤ It is a most excellent story. I'm about halfway through. 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited September 2022
    cat said:
    Got it.  Maybe 5 pages in.  Set it aside.  I wanted it and wanted it and wanted it and now I have it and I start to read and my eyes get heavy.  I may have to do this audio.  It's not that I don't want to read it, but I tire so quickly and easily.  I immediately want to sleep.  Jeezo peezo.  I don't know what to say.

I have heard the audio is great if you decide to go that way. But if not, don't get discouraged, just go at your own pace. ❤ It is a most excellent story. I'm about halfway through. 
    Thanks cat.  I’d love to hear more of your thoughts and feelings about it up to your halfway point. Stephen is so good at fantasy — does he still have the magic touch? 
    catGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • cat said:

Thanks cat.  I’d love to hear more of your thoughts and feelings about it up to your halfway point. Stephen is so good at fantasy — does he still have the magic touch? 
    He definitely still has the magic touch! I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but it has met my expectations so far. I'm getting vibes of Dark Tower and The Talisman both. Just little things, but definitely along the "other worlds than these" kinds of feelings. 

It has been a grand adventure so far. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • 150 pages away from finishing. Soooo good! I am going to try to wait til tomorrow to pick it back up. The best way to spend my weekend. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • I'm just 100 pages in but loving it. The way he paints characters is immaculate! So far only hints of other worlds but he really makes us feel the characters.
    catHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • edited September 2022
    cat said:
    cat said:

He definitely still has the magic touch! I don't want to spoil anything for anyone but it has met my expectations so far. I'm getting vibes of Dark Tower and The Talisman both. Just little things, but definitely along the "other worlds than these" kinds of feelings. 

It has been a grand adventure so far. 
    Sounds like everything I hope too. 

I must get myself invested and then I’ll be good. I’ll give it the college try today. 
    catKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoirLou_SytsmaNeesy
  • Finished - my podcast partner, Karen Lindsay & I talked about the book last night. The talk will be up in a couple of days.

We both enjoyed the book very much. Great mix of a lot of elements with a  slick blending of both worlds. King pulls from so many sources, yet gives it all his deft touch.

I would like to know the writing process that King went through on this one. Especially since he is a discovery writer and the story is so interconnected. How many of those connections did he know as he was writing, and how many were added in after the first draft?

BevVincentGNTLGNTcatHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • ....had a very nice series of e-mails with Mindy from CD yesterday....was wondering about the ship date of Fairy Tale from them....and she was quite nice and engaging, explaining the delay....being a small publisher, the copies they get are far slower in arriving than the "big boys"....I know I could have already bought it elsewhere and been chowing down with my mind's teeth, but I like Chiz and want to support a family business.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben
  • ....long after y'alls have begun gathering dust, I finally received my copy....I physically had to force myself to put it down, so I could get some rest....if he isn't magic, then it's a damn close approximation....
    Hedda GablerKurbenLou_SytsmaFlakeNoir
  • edited October 2022
    GNTLGNT said:
    ...I like Chiz and want to support a family business.....
    Heads up - I interviewed him on Tuesday. Will have the interview up in a couple of days.
    Hedda Gablernot_nadineGNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...I like Chiz and want to support a family business.....
    Heads up - I interviewed him on Tuesday. Will have the interview up in a couple of days.
    ...anytime I've emailed him or Billy, they've been very quick to return messages and always helpful....good dudes.....
    KurbenLou_SytsmaHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....long after y'alls have begun gathering dust, I finally received my copy....I physically had to force myself to put it down, so I could get some rest....if he isn't magic, then it's a damn close approximation....
    ....early on, I lost it laughing at the legendary "blue chambray" shirt......a King trope....
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • ....aaaaaannnnnddd, it's off to "Fairyland"......I only read a couple of chapters a night....glad to see that research was done on heart medications and medical care earlier....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited October 2022
    I wonder if these covers are just coincidence? Just seem similar to me in several ways...maybe on some other level of the tower....

Lou_SytsmaHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • That's an interesting comparison! I'm not sure I've seen that Black House cover before.
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerLou_Sytsma
  • That's an interesting comparison! I'm not sure I've seen that Black House cover before.
    I have not.
    KurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerLou_Sytsma