Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2022 October Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• edited October 2022
    cat said:
    1. Hocus Pocus 2 ftv Disney+ 
    Long awaited sequel to one of my favorite Halloween movies. I liked it. Not quite as charming or funny as the original but not far behind, in my opinion. I laughed out loud several times. The only thing I was not completely crazy about was the ending, I did not think it reflected the witches characters and was cheesy as all get out. But I did read another casual review (another viewer)  that said it bookends the original film's ending nicely, which never occurred to me, but it does. I enjoyed the movie. Probably not one I will watch as many times as the first one, but it will get repeat viewings. 

So cat, have you opened the gates of hell on your family? Some batshit nuts texas mom is warning viewers. 

Keep us posted on your children sacrifices and satanic luncheons. 😏

W….T….H…..
    catFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • cat said:
    Long awaited sequel to one of my favorite Halloween movies. I liked it. Not quite as charming or funny as the original but not far behind, in my opinion. I laughed out loud several times. The only thing I was not completely crazy about was the ending, I did not think it reflected the witches characters and was cheesy as all get out. But I did read another casual review (another viewer)  that said it bookends the original film's ending nicely, which never occurred to me, but it does. I enjoyed the movie. Probably not one I will watch as many times as the first one, but it will get repeat viewings. 

So cat, have you opened the gates of hell on your family? Some batshit nuts texas mom is warning viewers. 

W….T….H…..
    I saw that. I don't understand why people just don't watch/read/listen to/ whatever they think is not appropriate for themselves or their family instead of making fools of themselves and trying to ruin it for everyone else. 

But I will surely be extra vigilant in monitoring my family for any satanic tendencies that may arise. 

🙃🤪😉
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • Today I revisited a couple movies I remembered fondly from my early teen years. 

6. Transylvania 6-5000 1985 prime
    Starring Jeff Goldblum and Ed Begley Jr as reporters sent to Transylvania to find Frankenstein. I did not count this as ftv, because my brother used to watch this over and over. I don't know if I ever watched the whole thing before but remember wondering why he liked it so much and thinking to myself, he is watching this again?!?  Watching it today, I think the reason he liked it was probably Geena Davis and her vampire outfit. 😄 

7. Once Bitten 1985 freevee 
    Very young Jim Carrey is an 18 year old virgin and Lauren Hutton is the vampire who needs his virgin blood to stay young and attractive. I used to like this movie quite a bit, but watching it again today, that had to be mostly due to being a teen. 😄 It was fun to revisit it though,  just silly Halloween fun. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • cat said:
    cat said:

W….T….H…..
    I saw that. I don't understand why people just don't watch/read/listen to/ whatever they think is not appropriate for themselves or their family instead of making fools of themselves and trying to ruin it for everyone else. 

But I will surely be extra vigilant in monitoring my family for any satanic tendencies that may arise. 

🙃🤪😉
    😂. Exactly. 

I want found footage shit when the pups sprout horns and pop and lock to I Put a Spell On You.

catKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • Kurbens Horror Movie Marathon List

1. Beast (2022) 3,5
    2. Nix (2022) 2,5 
    3. Safe House 1618 (2022) 3,5  
    4. The Wicker Man (1973) 5! Absolutely excellent movie. I have seen it before but i felt i wanted to see a really good one. Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland stars. Scottish policeman (Woodward) comes to an isolated island where a pagan cult led by Lee still exists. It is Creepy, Scary and has excellent acting. Ingrid Pitt and Diane Cilento also has major roles. Highly recommend to anyone who hasn't already seen it.
    The Wicker Man 1973 - IMDb
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • Kurben said:
    Kurbens Horror Movie Marathon List

1. Beast (2022) 3,5
    2. Nix (2022) 2,5 
    3. Safe House 1618 (2022) 3,5  
    4. The Wicker Man (1973) 5! Absolutely excellent movie. I have seen it before but i felt i wanted to see a really good one. Edward Woodward, Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland stars. Scottish policeman (Woodward) comes to an isolated island where a pagan cult led by Lee still exists. It is Creepy, Scary and has excellent acting. Ingrid Pitt and Diane Cilento also has major roles. Highly recommend to anyone who hasn't already seen it.
    The Wicker Man 1973 - IMDb
    This is the good one. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • cat said:
    cat said:

W….T….H…..

🙃🤪😉
    😂. Exactly. 

I want found footage shit when the pups sprout horns and pop and lock to I Put a Spell On You.

....Canine Posse......REPRESENT!!!!!......
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirfushingfeef
  • edited October 2022
    Storage 24

A cataclysmic event cwuses the automatic lockdown of a storage rental facility, tje people trapoed inside soon realisecthat something else is trapped in there with them.

Decent enoigh pizza and beer flick, hugely influenced by Alien. 

1. Shadows
    2. Orca Killer Whale
    3. Storage 24
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirfushingfeefGNTLGNT
  • edited October 2022
    Twilight Zone; The Movie

Four stories im which everyday prople get sucked into the twilight zone and endure strange happenings, some of which have fatal consequences......

Hadn't seen this since it's original release in '83.  I actually enjoyed it more this time around. All the stories are enjoyable, great casts, good performances. 

1. Shadows
    2. Orca Killer Whale
    3. Storage 24
    4. Twilight Zone; The Movie
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirfushingfeefGNTLGNT
  • edited October 2022
    6. Demonoid — youtube

“Spouses looking for silver in Mexico find a 300 year old severed hand driven by a demon.”

okay. I have many podcasts I listen to. But, there are two that I am true blue faithful to. Postmortem with Mick Garris and Video Archives with Quentin Tarrantino and Roger Avary.  

I picked up this movie from QT. He is so interesting to listen to. He does know his stuff and he can find brilliance in crap. He differentiates good and bad between films and movies. To him, they are very different creatures.  So, directing, lighting, script, cinematography, settings, props — he can really give a ton of information about these less than zero B flicks.  Fascinates the hell out of me. 

Demonoid sucked. But I loved listening to the conversation about it on his podcast . That was the true gem. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    3. Into the Deep: The Submarine Murder Case*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • 6. Lamb (FTV)

A couple on a remote Icelandic farm raise a mutant sheep/human hybrid as their own child.

Another unusual offering from A24, Lamb is a visually stunning dark fairy tale. The film is quiet and slow-moving, often aggravatingly so, as this is a slow burn that will try the patience of most viewers. And I’m hesitant to call this a true horror film, but it’s hard to say what marketing category this fits in. I suspect if Cronenberg had directed this we wouldn’t be having this conversation. This is at its heart a monster movie, but not told in the way you’d normally expect.

The biggest issue is that the story in this film could have been told at half the run time. There’s just not much plot here, and every shot feels like it lingers a bit too long. A third character is introduced late into the film, whose sole purpose seems to just give the story something to do, without adding much. I still kinda liked this weird movie, and I can’t really say I’ve seen anything like it, so that’s worth something. The imagery is amazing and the isolated feel of the movie is quietly effective. But if you’re looking for lots of story and plot, straightforward slice-and-dice, haunted houses, or a more typical monster movie, maybe try something else.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2022 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Black Phone 3.5/5 (FTV)
    2. The Mummy (2017) 3/5 (FTV)
    3. The Anchoress 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    5. Burn, Witch, Burn 3/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • edited October 2022
    7.  The Blair Witch Project 

“Found video footage tells the tale of three film students (Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, Michael C. Williams) who've traveled to a small town to collect documentary footage about the Blair Witch, a legendary local murderer. Over the course of several days, the students interview townspeople and gather clues to support the tale's veracity. But the project takes a frightening turn when the students lose their way in the woods and begin hearing horrific noises.”

I’ve already seen this. Hated it. Thought it was dumb. The main girl is annoying AF.   AF.   AF. 

But, i said I would try to watch it again with a better attitude after I got more information on how it was made.  It was a very creative endeavor.  

It was mostly impromptu suggestions. The cast did not interact with the director.  Goals for the scene were given, and how they got to them was completely up to them. Minimal direction or interference.  They were given a map and told to reach certain spots.  They knew something would happen, but they did not know what.

The first 20ish mins were interesting with interviewing the townspeople. Even though Heather was irritating from the get go. The guys should’ve choked her out in the car when they started out.  Great potential here. Dumb as hell.

and for those of you who will chime in, stephen king thought it was so scary, he had to turn it off — keep in mind, he watched from a hospital bed pumped full of drugs.  

I still hated it. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    KurbenfushingfeefGNTLGNT
  • Werewolf By Night.

A group of monster hunters meet to select a new leader only to discover a monster is among them.

Was looking forward to this, it has some humorous moments but I found it to be quite disappointing, nothing at all like the comic. 

1. Shadows
    2. Orca Killer Whale
    3. Storage 24
    4. Twilight Zone; The Movie
    5. Werewolf By Night
    Hedda GablerfushingfeefGNTLGNT
  • 8. The Undead — 1957 — youtube????

“A beautiful woman is sent back in time via hypnosis to the Middle Ages where she finds she is suspected of being a witch, and subject to being executed.”

Horrible acting. Boring story. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*

fushingfeefKurbenGNTLGNT
  • edited October 2022
    9. Funhouse — 1981 version — not sure where I watched this. Criterion?

“Four teenagers visit a local carnival for a night of innocent amusement. They soon discover, however, that there is nothing innocent or amusing there at all.”

okay, i love this thing. Saw it at a drive-in back in the day. Sentimental cheese. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    fushingfeefKurbenGNTLGNT
  • 7. Alligator (FTV)

Baby alligator flushed down the toilet rises from the sewers a dozen years later, much bigger and hungry for human flesh.

This 1980 gem was written by John Sayles (Piranha, The Howling) and directed by Lewis Teague (Cujo). While the concept of the flushed alligator returning for revenge is based on an urban legend and is inherently shlocky, the movie plays it straight and never winks at the audience. Instead they just deliver the goods, starting with a strong cast: Robert Forster (Jackie Brown, Medium Cool) as the weary cop whose partners keep ending up dead, Robin Riker (Sharon from “Get A Life”) as a sexy herpetologist, Oscar nominee Michael Gazzo (The Godfather II) as the gravel-voice chief of police, and the ever-creepy typecast villain Henry Silva as a big game hunter hired to take the alligator down.

The alligator effects are surprisingly effective, with forced perspective, live alligators on miniature sets, and realistic giant alligator puppet heads held close to the lens, which prove to be more tactile and satisfying than the CGI we would expect to see today. There are a good many kills, and a good many scumbags getting what’s coming to them, but they aren’t afraid to kill off innocent bystanders, and even a kid who picks a really bad time to play “walk the plank” off a diving board. My favorite scene was where the alligator runs amok at a wedding, causing much running and screaming as people are consumed whole down the giant ‘gator’s gullet.

It would be easy to dismiss this as yet another “animal horror” knock-off version of Jaws, but it stands out from the many imitations churned out during that era with a sense of assuredness and good humor that holds up well.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)
    7. Alligator 3.5/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • American Horror Story 'Devil's Night- Season 5 Ep 4

'Halloween is a strange time. Stranger things than usual happen in the Hotel Cortez when it gets near Halloween. Suddenly, new guests are arriving, in the form of famous serial killers from years gone by, as if the building is a more gruesome version of Walt Disney's Hall of Presidents. The episode opens with the arrival of Richard Ramirez, who killed 13 people in the 1980s. He'll be joined later by a variety of other famous murderers, including John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer and the Zodiac Killer.'

Pin on shows
    Top 3 WTF Moments from American Horror Story Hotel Episode 4 - BUnow -  Bloomsburg
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2022
    10. Halloween Kills — hbomax

“The nightmare isn't over as unstoppable killer Michael Myers escapes from Laurie Strode's trap to continue his ritual bloodbath. Injured and taken to the hospital, Laurie reunites with Tommy Doyle, the boy she was babysitting on the night Michael began his reign of terror. As Laurie continues to fight through the pain, Tommy leads an angry mob of vigilantes to rise up against Myers and destroy the evil once and for all.”

I am embarrassed for all these yahoos of Haddonfield.  They all deserved to die, just every one of them. Who are the idiots who made this? I guess there was truth in advertising here, so have to give them that. Kills — the word — was key. 

Getting stabbed in the neck was the du jour. There was nothing to this. But, nobody seems to want smart horror. The dumbing down continues. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    GNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 11. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road — Masters of Horror — freevee

A young woman driving on a dark, deserted mountain road gets distracted and crashes into a parked car. When she comes to, she looks for the other driver by following a trail of blood. 
    She finds her being dragged by a serial killer who now wants her too.  

She uses knowledge gained from her survivalist husband to try to survive. 

This is a pretty damn good story. Gory, but there’s a story and a delicious twist. Based on a story  Written by joe r. lansdale. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills
    11. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road*
    GNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 7.  The Blair Witch Project 

“Found video footage tells the tale of three film students (Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard, Michael C. Williams) who've traveled to a small town to collect documentary footage about the Blair Witch, a legendary local murderer. Over the course of several days, the students interview townspeople and gather clues to support the tale's veracity. But the project takes a frightening turn when the students lose their way in the woods and begin hearing horrific noises.”

I’ve already seen this. Hated it. Thought it was dumb. The main girl is annoying AF.   AF.   AF. 

But, i said I would try to watch it again with a better attitude after I got more information on how it was made.  It was a very creative endeavor.  

It was mostly impromptu suggestions. The cast did not interact with the director.  Goals for the scene were given, and how they got to them was completely up to them. Minimal direction or interference.  They were given a map and told to reach certain spots.  They knew something would happen, but they did not know what.

The first 20ish mins were interesting with interviewing the townspeople. Even though Heather was irritating from the get go. The guys should’ve choked her out in the car when they started out.  Great potential here. Dumb as hell.

and for those of you who will chime in, stephen king thought it was so scary, he had to turn it off — keep in mind, he watched from a hospital bed pumped full of drugs.  

I still hated it. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    ....*puts Deej down for a definite "maybe" on whether she liked it*....
    KurbenHedda Gablerfushingfeef

• 9. Funhouse — 1981 version — not sure where I watched this. Criterion?

“Four teenagers visit a local carnival for a night of innocent amusement. They soon discover, however, that there is nothing innocent or amusing there at all.”

okay, i love this thing. Saw it at a drive-in back in the day. Sentimental cheese. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse

The Funhouse is a 1980 novelization by American author Dean Koontz, based on a Larry Block screenplay, which was made into the 1981 film The Funhouse, directed by Tobe Hooper. As the film production took longer than expected, the book was released before the film. It was originally released under one of Koontz's pseudonyms "Owen West".  He did better with it than Tobe did, I have to say.
    Hedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • sexy herpetologist

....gotta give Bob credit for putting together two words not normally combined in the English language....
    KurbenHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • 8. Barbarian (FTV)

A lone woman finds the Detroit house she rented has already been booked to another tenant, and bad things happen.

Barbarian falls into the category of “easy to recommend, hard to review”, because so many of its pleasures come from not knowing what happens next. Every time you think you know where the story is going, the rug gets pulled out from under you, and the film takes you in a new direction. It’s like being on a dark rollercoaster ride. That’s not to say it’s a film that relies on novelty, there’s plenty here to sink your teeth into. But the less you know in advance, the better your viewing experience will be.

The actors all give great performances, with lead female Georgina Campbell giving off the right amount of vulnerability and resolve. Bill Skarsgard (Pennywise from It) shows a totally new side, and horror regular Justin Long is unsympathetic but always watchable. I like how it drew suspense from the male/female balance of trust dynamic without being heavy handed or obvious about it. The film was written and directed by Zach Cregger, who like Jordan Peele has a background in sketch comedy. Can’t wait to see what he does next, and I’m surprised he was able to get this film made—it takes some chances, but the payoffs are great.

If you like tales of urban decay and survival horror, relentless suspense, and a twisty story that keeps you guessing, you’ll enjoy Barbarian. In theaters now!

4 out of 5 stars.

4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)
    7. Alligator 3.5/5 (FTV)
    8. Barbarian 4/5 (FTV)

GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • 12. Midnight Club* — netflix

“At a manor with a mysterious history, eight members of the Midnight Club meet each night at midnight to tell sinister stories -- and to look for signs of the supernatural from the beyond.”

i really enjoyed this. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills
    12. Midnight Club*
    GNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 13. Conversations with a Killer: The Jeffrey Dahmer Tapes* — netflix

This was a series of 3 episodes with Jeffrey talking about his crimes.  I’ve watched docs over the years with him being interviewed, but these were tapes made by his defense attorneys.  

Gruesome.  

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills