Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

2022 October Horror Movie Marathon!

Comments

• Kurben said:
    Kurbens Horror Movie Marathon List

1. Beast (2022) 3,5
    2. Nix (2022) 2,5 
    3. Safe House 1618 (2022) 3,5  
    4. The Wicker Man (1973) 5!
    5. Suspiria (1977) 4,5 
    6. Rabid (1977) 3,5/5 
    7. Smile (2009) 3/5
    8. Croc (2022) 3,5/5 
    9. Halloween (1978) 5/5 
    10. Halloween 2 (1981) 4/5
    11. The Thing (1982) 4,5/5 
    12. The Birds (1963) 5/5
    13. Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) 5/5 
    14. When Worlds Collide (1951) 3/5 This one of the more well known B- SF movies that is built upon a 1933 novel. A big planet is on collision course with Earth! Some of the effects are rather dated, understandingly so, but some still has an impact. Astronomers warn the earth, the earth first ridicules them but a millionaire help the astronomers build a ship to carry a few select to a new place to live. Not very original new and better books than the 1933 one has been written on the theme but the 1933 one is still one of the first to use it. Barbara Rush and Richard Derr play the Hero couple and Larry Keating play the head astronomer. Hadn't seen this one before.
    When Worlds Collide 1951 - IMDb
    but some still has an impact.
    ....I see what you did there..... :D :D :D :D
    FlakeNoirKurbenfushingfeefHedda Gabler
  • edited October 2022
    ghost19 said:
    Okay, here we go, I love this marathon every year. I was thinking about all of you this year around the beginning of October and I always try to watch as many horror movies as I can in October.

1. Nightmare on Elm Street movies 1-7

2. Friday the 13th movies 1-12. This took the better part of the first week of October, I hadn't seen several of the Jason movies in a long time, I swear, some of them are more comedies than horror movies.

3. All of the Halloween movies, culminating in seeing the newest one, Halloween Ends, this last Saturday. Still the best horror character ever seen on screen, imho. It's always a pleasure watching these movies.

4. The Black Phone. Very well done movie.

5. C.H.U.D. (1984) And old one but a cheesy one, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this one on DVD.

6. Visiting Hours (1982) Meh, not that great, but you can see Michael Ironside do a very good job of, well, doing what he does in a movie....

7. Sinister part I and II. Both are very good movies.

8. The Conjuring. Another solid horror movie.

9. Insidious part I and II.

10. The Nun. I figured this would be bad and I was right, jump scares aside, it was completely uninteresting.

That's up to date through this last weekend. Got a couple lined up for tonight.

Continuing....mostly an 80's movie weekend.

11. All Hallow's Eve. Disturbing clown movie....hmmmm

12. Nightmares. 1983 movie with four pretty cool short stories. If you haven't seen it and you grew up an 80's kid....that's the 1980's @GNT, not the 1880's.....lol, you'll like this movie. It's a bit campy but still a really good movie.

13. The Lost Boys. Still one of the coolest vampire movies of all time, imho.

14. Fright Night (1985). I still think Chris Sarandon played one of the coolest/creepiest vampires ever. This is just a good movie from start to finish.

15. Sleepaway Camp. This movie still makes me cringe at the end. The whole damn movie is just so strange....

16. Creepshow. Still one of the funniest acting jobs from Mr. King, Every time I watch "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill", I can't help cracking up, everything he says in that role is hilarious.

17. Creepshow 2. A good sequel. "Old Chief Woodenhead" is a great story.

18. Antlers......not bad, but definitely out there...

19. The Ritual. @Kurben, have you read this book sir or saw the movie? I thought the book was very well written and the movie did a pretty good job adapting the story.

20. The Reanimator. Just good old 80's campy horror at its best....

GNTLGNTKurbenfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • ghost19 said:
    ghost19 said:
    Okay, here we go, I love this marathon every year. I was thinking about all of you this year around the beginning of October and I always try to watch as many horror movies as I can in October.

2. Friday the 13th movies 1-12. This took the better part of the first week of October, I hadn't seen several of the Jason movies in a long time, I swear, some of them are more comedies than horror movies.

3. All of the Halloween movies, culminating in seeing the newest one, Halloween Ends, this last Saturday. Still the best horror character ever seen on screen, imho. It's always a pleasure watching these movies.

5. C.H.U.D. (1984) And old one but a cheesy one, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this one on DVD.

6. Visiting Hours (1982) Meh, not that great, but you can see Michael Ironside do a very good job of, well, doing what he does in a movie....

10. The Nun. I figured this would be bad and I was right, jump scares aside, it was completely uninteresting.

12. Nightmares. 1983 movie with four pretty cool short stories. If you haven't seen it and you grew up an 80's kid....that's the 1980's @GNT, not the 1880's.....lol, you'll like this movie. It's a bit campy but still a really good movie.

14. Fright Night (1985). I still think Chris Sarandon played one of the coolest/creepiest vampires ever. This is just a good movie from start to finish.

15. Sleepaway Camp. This movie still makes me cringe at the end. The whole damn movie is just so strange....

16. Creepshow. Still one of the funniest acting jobs from Mr. King, Every time I watch "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill", I can't help cracking up, everything he says in that role is hilarious.

19. The Ritual. @Kurben, have you read this book sir or saw the movie? I thought the book was very well written and the movie did a pretty good job adapting the story.

The Ritual is definitely my favourite of the books of his i've read. A good one. So is the movie. The only other Adam Nevill book i've read is No One Gets Out Alive and i thought that was a step back.
    ghost19GNTLGNTfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Kurben said:
    ghost19 said:
    ghost19 said:

The Ritual is definitely my favourite of the books of his i've read. A good one. So is the movie. The only other Adam Nevill book i've read is No One Gets Out Alive and i thought that was a step back.

I'll have to check that one out. I've only read The Ritual by Nevill. Hope your week is starting off well sir. Take care.
    KurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeefFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • 23. The Third Eye (il Terzo Occhio) (FTV)

Wealthy count performs taxidermy on his fiancé after a jealous maid murders her, then he keeps seeking new victims.

This 1966 film obviously owes a lot to Hitchcock’s Psycho: there’s a domineering mother, a charming but emotionally disturbed son, and there’s taxidermy on both animals and a human. In addition, the sister of the initial victim comes looking for her, although in this film she is an identical twin sister and thus played by the same actress, and triggers a deepening psychosis for the killer.

This Italian film is more overtly an exploitation piece, as it adds the element of the killer luring prostitutes back to his lair, where they soon discover the preserved remains of his fiancé. There are additional soap-opera/thriller elements due to the inclusion of the jealous maid character, who while disgusted by the killer’s actions, wants to blackmail him so she can him (and his wealth) all to herself. Besides, she’s also a murderess, so they have a lot in common.

Apparently this film was controversial at the time of its release due to partial nudity and violence, as well as implied necrophilia, but to our modern eyes this is mostly tame stuff. The film doesn’t offer anything really new, but at only 87 minutes it moves along quickly and entertainingly enough, and it’s shot in beautiful black and white widescreen. This is included in the recent Arrow Video Gothic Fantastico: Four Italian Tales of Terror box set, and is a worthy inclusion.

3 out of 5 stars.

Bob's October 2022 Horror Movie List
    *FTV denotes first-time viewings
    1. The Black Phone 3.5/5 (FTV)
    2. The Mummy (2017) 3/5 (FTV)
    3. The Anchoress 3/5 (FTV)
    4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    5. Burn, Witch, Burn 3/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)
    7. Alligator 3.5/5 (FTV)
    8. Barbarian 4/5 (FTV)
    9. Orphan 3.5/5 (FTV)
    10. Terrifier 2 4/5 (FTV)
    11. I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997) 2.5/5 (FTV)
    12. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 3.5/5 (FTV)
    13. The Uncanny 3/5 (FTV)
    14. Baghead 3.5/5 (FTV)
    15. House On Haunted Hill (1959) 4.5/5
    16. Wilczyca (aka She-Wolf) 3.5/5 (FTV)
    17. Black Rainbow 3/5 (FTV)
    18. Two Witches 3.5/5 (FTV)
    19. The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies 2.5/5 (FTV)
    20. La Llarona 3/5 (FTV)
    21. All Hallows’ Eve 3/5 (FTV)
    22. The Sadness 4/5 (FTV)
    23. The Third Eye (il Terzo Occhio) 3/5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • I had some catching up to do, reading all your posts!  For some reason it was only showing my posts for the past three days, but just now they all appeared retroactively!  Must have been a browser cookies issue.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerKurben
  • @ghost19 The Lost Boys! I haven't thought of this in years, it was almost a cult thing when it came out in my late teens, we all loved it.
    Maybe it will become my #3 if I can find it somewhere. 
    ghost19GNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • FlakeNoir said:
    @ghost19 The Lost Boys! I haven't thought of this in years, it was almost a cult thing when it came out in my late teens, we all loved it.

I still say Keifer Sutherland had the coolest vampire hair of any vampire hair-do in the history of vampire hair-dos. It's science......Hi Flakers, hope you are doing well.
    I very much enjoyed seeing The Lost Boys, haven't watched it in a long time. I also am trying to currently find on digital download  "The Lost Boys 2: The Tribe". It's a really good sequel but I haven't seen it in a LONG time.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • ghost19 said:
    FlakeNoir said:
    @ghost19 The Lost Boys! I haven't thought of this in years, it was almost a cult thing when it came out in my late teens, we all loved it.

I still say Keifer Sutherland had the coolest vampire hair of any vampire hair-do in the history of vampire hair-dos. It's science......Hi Flakers, hope you are doing well.
    I very much enjoyed seeing The Lost Boys, haven't watched it in a long time. I also am trying to currently find on digital download  "The Lost Boys 2: The Tribe". It's a really good sequel but I haven't seen it in a LONG time.

Doing well, thanks Ghost.. just legging it for work.  Hope you're also well and happy. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gablerfushingfeef
  • I had some catching up to do, reading all your posts!  For some reason it was only showing my posts for the past three days, but just now they all appeared retroactively!  Must have been a browser cookies issue.
    ....ummmm, browser cookies....*done in my best Homer Simpson mental voice*....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenfushingfeef
  • edited October 2022
    25. Dark Shadows*— 10 episodes of season 12 — freevee

“After spending 200 years trapped in a coffin, a vampire escapes and returns to his family mansion in Collinsport, Maine.”

continuing my ongoing challenge of “rewatching” this old, horribly acted, great fun series. I am going to label them a new watch because I remember pretty much none of these plots. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    3. Into the Deep: The Submarine Murder Case*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    7.  The Blair Witch Project
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    11. Incident On and Off a Mountain Road*
    12. Midnight Club*
    13. Conversations with a Killer: the Jeffrey Dahmer Tapes.*
    14. Old People*
    15. Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched: a History of Folk Horror*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    22. American Horror Stories*, season 2
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    25. Dark Shadows*— 10 episodes of season 12
    FlakeNoirghost19GNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2022
    26. SCORN* — videogame — youtube

“Scorn is an atmospheric first-person horror adventure game set in a nightmarish universe of odd forms and somber tapestry.”

okay, not a movie, but it was about 5 hours of a gamer traveling through a landscape of horror images.  

Very different from other games so it’s not getting a lot of love, even though gamers bitch for something new. The gamer I watched is a smart guy and had very insightful commentary as he played, as no story is given. The screen isn’t cluttered with bars and graphs for every little thing. 

It is bleak and very graphic body horror, and the artists did a great job creating the world. It has good and bad elements for a game, but like they stepped out of that game box to try something different. 

I’m counting it. So there. 

😉

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    12. Midnight Club*
    14. Old People*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    26. SCORN*
    FlakeNoirghost19GNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 27. SERVANT season 2 — Apple+

Continuing on, this thing is getting weirder by the minute. 

Hoping to get season 3 knocked out before the end of marathon. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    12. Midnight Club*
    14. Old People*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    26. SCORN*
    27. SERVANT* season 2
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • 24. Kill List (FTV)

Ex-soldier turns to contract killing to make a living, and starts spinning out of control as his mysterious employers keep raising the stakes.

One of the problems with horror movies that keeps them from being really scary is that we are aware that we’re watching a horror movie and expect certain things to happen. You go to a monster movie expecting to see a monster, a haunted house movie expecting to see ghosts, etc. Real life always has the potential to be much scarier than a horror movie because you just never know when the rug is going to get pulled out from under you. That guy you see standing at the other side of an otherwise empty parking garage could be just looking for his car…or he could be waiting for his next victim.

Kill List perfectly exploits this fact by dodging easy “horror movie” labels right out of the gate. It doesn’t play like a horror movie, more like a British crime thriller, something Guy Ritchie would direct but with darker and less obvious humor. Strong characters are established, relatable conflicts regarding employment (or lack thereof), family and money are presented in a very naturalistic, non-genre manner. Yet, we always get the sense that there’s something just a bit off: a dinner guest secretly scrawls a glyph on the back of a bathroom mirror, Dad casually fries up the remains of a dead rabbit the cat left on the lawn. There’s strange troubles a-brewin’ before we even get to the titular list of kills, then things really get crazy.

It’s safe to say that how you respond to the final act will probably determine how much you like this movie—audiences seem divided on this, but I for one thought it was brilliantly nasty. This movie is difficult to review without spoilers (I can't even post many photos), and I think you’ll enjoy it best the less you know about it, so I’ll stop here and just say I strongly recommend you watch Kill List.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)
    7. Alligator 3.5/5 (FTV)
    8. Barbarian 4/5 (FTV)
    9. Orphan 3.5/5 (FTV)
    14. Baghead 3.5/5 (FTV)
    19. The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies 2.5/5 (FTV)
    20. La Llarona 3/5 (FTV)
    24. Kill List 4.5/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 28. The Patient* — Hulu

“Therapist, Alan Strauss, is held prisoner by a patient, Sam Fortner, who reveals himself to be a serial killer. Sam has an unusual therapeutic demand for Alan: curb his homicidal urges. In order to survive, Alan must unwind Sam's disturbed mind and stop him from killing again but Sam refuses to address critical topics, like his mother Candace. Alone in captivity, Alan excavates his own past through memories of his old therapist, Charlie, and grapples with waves of his own repressed troubles -- the recent death of his wife, Beth, and the painful estrangement from his religious son, Ezra. Over the course of his imprisonment, Alan uncovers not only how deep Sam's compulsion runs, but also how much work he has to do to repair the rift in his own family.“

I recommend this. Steve Carell and Domnhall Gleeson give intense performances. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    12. Midnight Club*
    14. Old People*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    26. SCORN*
    27. SERVANT* season 2
    28. The Patient *
    GNTLGNTfushingfeef
  • edited October 2022
    29. Cabinet of Curiosities* — Netflix

this is del Toro’s series of 8 short stories. They are releasing them 2 a day. 

Today was Lot 36 and Graveyard Rats. Very artistic. Interesting duo. Very del Toro. 

I listen to a podcast called Cabinet of Curiosities. Aaron Mahnke is the host.  Really interesting episodes. Been out a while so I hope this series drives listernership up for the podcast. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    12. Midnight Club*
    14. Old People*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    26. SCORN*
    27. SERVANT* season 2
    28. The Patient *
    29. Cabinet of Curiosities* 
    GNTLGNT
  • 39. Cabinet of Curiosities — Netflix

The Autopsy 
    The Outside

Bizarre nightmares unfold in eight tales of terror in a visually stunning, spine-tingling horror collection curated by Guillermo del Toro.

Odd little tales. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    12. Midnight Club*
    14. Old People*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    26. SCORN*
    27. SERVANT* season 2
    28. The Patient *
    29. Cabinet of Curiosities* — episode 1 & 2
    30. Cabinet of Curiosities* — episode 3 & 4

fushingfeefFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 25. Nope (FTV)

A mysterious thing in the clouds menaces a California performing horse farm.

Playing off of the more frightening and mysterious aspects of “doom from above”, Nope draws easy comparisons to Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Signs, but ultimately turns into something more like Jaws. The movie makes great use of sound, and works best the less we see. It has some of the most remarkable night lighting that I’ve ever seen, very close to how a full moon feels in a desert at nighttime when there’s no light pollution. The film establishes interesting and fun characters and maintains a pretty good forward momentum despite the 2 hour and 10 minute run time.

Strangely, there’s an entire side plot (I hesitate to call it a subplot) that while interesting by itself, feels completely out of place for the rest of the movie. It’s as if writer Jordan Peele had two good ideas and wanted to do them both in one movie, but this second story is really only tangentially related to the primary one. Ultimately, this side plot just really doesn’t matter and doesn’t have an bearing on the proceedings. It’s jarring, and makes the film less coherent (some would say a mess, but I won’t go that far). Honestly, I’d rather have seen two separate movies.

The final third of the movie loses a bit of steam, I feel like this could have used some tightening up in the editing room as well as on the page. But I enjoyed Nope and found it interesting.

3.5 out of 5 stars.

4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)
    7. Alligator 3.5/5 (FTV)
    8. Barbarian 4/5 (FTV)
    9. Orphan 3.5/5 (FTV)
    14. Baghead 3.5/5 (FTV)
    20. La Llarona 3/5 (FTV)
    25. Nope 3.5 (FTV)

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • 26. The Greasy Strangler (FTV)

A socially inept man lives with his abrasive father who is trying to steal his girlfriend, not realizing that by night he is a serial killer who costumes himself in a layer of grease.

Somehow I hadn’t heard about this unusual 2016 horror comedy, which seems designed to offend and repulse as much as make you laugh. The humor is along the lines of Napoleon Dynamite or something Todd Solondz would direct, with an emphasis on awkward characters and cringeworthy moments. The film is also designed to disgust us in a humorous way, as if John Waters, the king of making transgressive movies about filthy depraved humans, decided to make a horror movie. It has the feel of an underground comic book, part Daniel Clowes (Ghost World) and part Peter Bagge (Hate), with some of the ugliness of Basil Wolverton thrown in.

While the film is repulsive (prepare your eyes for way too much geriatric male simulated nudity), it’s still a fairly entertaining watch that made me laugh—not every joke lands, and some bits are annoying, but there’s an admirable cohesiveness to how far they dare to take things in this movie. There’s that whole outrageous “did you just see what I saw?” quality that would make this a great film for group viewings, depending how weird your guests are. Also, for a film populated with ugliness, the look of the film is actually really good, high quality, like something Wes Anderson would make if life kicked him the face for the past decade.

Still, the big problem that some viewers might not be able to get past is that this movie is trying way too hard to be weird for weirdness’ sake. The characters all talk in a similar stilted Emo Phillips on downers cadence. While some movies have an artistic vision and end up becoming cult classics almost by accident, this movie is simply pushing that cult movie feeling without ever giving us a chance to decide for ourselves. Sure, it’s intended to make you laugh uncomfortably, and it mostly succeeds at that, so maybe that’s good enough.

3 out of 5 stars.

4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)
    7. Alligator 3.5/5 (FTV)
    8. Barbarian 4/5 (FTV)
    9. Orphan 3.5/5 (FTV)
    14. Baghead 3.5/5 (FTV)
    20. La Llarona 3/5 (FTV)
    25. Nope 3.5 (FTV)
    26. The Greasy Strangler 3/5 (FTV)

GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • 26. The Greasy Strangler (FTV)

A socially inept man lives with his abrasive father who is trying to steal his girlfriend, not realizing that by night he is a serial killer who costumes himself in a layer of grease.

Somehow I hadn’t heard about this unusual 2016 horror comedy, which seems designed to offend and repulse as much as make you laugh. The humor is along the lines of Napoleon Dynamite or something Todd Solondz would direct, with an emphasis on awkward characters and cringeworthy moments. The film is also designed to disgust us in a humorous way, as if John Waters, the king of making transgressive movies about filthy depraved humans, decided to make a horror movie. It has the feel of an underground comic book, part Daniel Clowes (Ghost World) and part Peter Bagge (Hate), with some of the ugliness of Basil Wolverton thrown in.

While the film is repulsive (prepare your eyes for way too much geriatric male simulated nudity), it’s still a fairly entertaining watch that made me laugh—not every joke lands, and some bits are annoying, but there’s an admirable cohesiveness to how far they dare to take things in this movie. There’s that whole outrageous “did you just see what I saw?” quality that would make this a great film for group viewings, depending how weird your guests are. Also, for a film populated with ugliness, the look of the film is actually really good, high quality, like something Wes Anderson would make if life kicked him the face for the past decade.

Still, the big problem that some viewers might not be able to get past is that this movie is trying way too hard to be weird for weirdness’ sake. The characters all talk in a similar stilted Emo Phillips on downers cadence. While some movies have an artistic vision and end up becoming cult classics almost by accident, this movie is simply pushing that cult movie feeling without ever giving us a chance to decide for ourselves. Sure, it’s intended to make you laugh uncomfortably, and it mostly succeeds at that, so maybe that’s good enough.

3 out of 5 stars.

4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)
    7. Alligator 3.5/5 (FTV)
    8. Barbarian 4/5 (FTV)
    9. Orphan 3.5/5 (FTV)
    14. Baghead 3.5/5 (FTV)
    20. La Llarona 3/5 (FTV)
    25. Nope 3.5 (FTV)

Are they even trying? The Greasy Strangler? Jeezo peezo. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirfushingfeef
  • 30. Barbarian* — hbomax

“A young woman discovers the rental home she booked is already occupied by a stranger. Against her better judgment, she decides to spend the night but soon discovers there's a lot more to fear than just an unexpected house guest.”

okay. For this movie to be made, this woman had to do all this dumb shit stuff. If this was real life, and she did what she did at the get go — she was dumber than a box of rocks. Real slag rocks. The crapiest rock of all king mother rocks.

Scary. Twisty. Weird. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    12. Midnight Club*
    14. Old People*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    26. SCORN*
    27. SERVANT* season 2
    28. The Patient *
    31. Barbarian*

GNTLGNTfushingfeefFlakeNoir
  • 32. Cabinet of Curiosities — netflix episodes 5 & 6

Pickman’s Model
    Dreams in the Witch House

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    12. Midnight Club*
    14. Old People*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    26. SCORN*
    27. SERVANT* season 2
    28. The Patient *
    29. Cabinet of Curiosities* — episodes 1 & 2
    30. Cabinet of Curiosities* — episodes 3 & 4
    31. Barbarian*
    32. Cabinet of Curiosities* — episodes 5 & 6
    GNTLGNTfushingfeefFlakeNoir
  • 32. SERVANT* — season 3, Apple+

I really liked this. If anybody has seen Aronofsky’s MOTHER!, it gives me that oddly surreal feel that movie had.  Which I was fascinated by and I am the cheese who stands alone in appreciating the art of it. Most people I know hated it. 

But please! Don’t let my comparison keep you from watching it. That’s just a vibe I got. It is not as out there as mother!  Mother was so symbolic and confusing. Interactions between characters were cryptic. SERVANT has a plot you can follow. A story. Weird characters whose motivations grow more desperate as time goes on and you sit back waiting for the car crash. 

Season 4 will be out in 2023 supposedly. Alas, my 3 months free will be up, so I will definitely pay for a month to get that — but i’ll wait until a few more Apple shows start new seasons to get the bang for my buck. 
    I recommend it. 

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*
    4. Mr. Harrigan’s Phone*
    5. Storm of the Century
    6. Demonoid*
    8. The Undead*
    9. The Funhouse
    10. Halloween Kills*
    12. Midnight Club*
    14. Old People*
    16. Piranha*
    17. The Uncanny*
    18. Vault of Horror
    19. Tales From the Crypt 
    20. The Watcher*
    21. Black Butterflies*
    23. The Evil*
    24. Ghost Ship
    26. SCORN*
    27. SERVANT* season 2
    28. The Patient *
    31. Barbarian*
    32. SERVANT* — season 3
    fushingfeefFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • 26. WNUF Halloween Special (FTV)

Turn the clock back in this 2013 parody purporting to be a 1987 Halloween live local news broadcast investigating a haunted house.

For those of us who grew up in the VHS era, you’ll immediately be on board with the format and feel of this horror comedy—it’s as if you discovered an old unlabeled tape in a box at a flea market. The hairstyles, clothes and mannerisms are pretty much on point, and the commercials especially feel authentic to the 1980’s, with cheesy period synthesizers and jagged graphics.

There’s about 15 minutes of news stories and commercials, including a nod to Satanic panic, then we get into the meat of the story, which is a live paranormal investigation of a local murder house. It’s as if a local news crew had their own version of Geraldo Rivera looking for Al Capone’s locked vault. There is a paranormal investigator couple, obviously based on the Warrens, and a jittery priest who is an expert on exorcisms. Some of the best comedic moments come from the awkward reactions of the local citizens mugging in the background of the shots, and the prank callers who call in on the phone during a live broadcast of a séance, much to the chagrin of the psychics.

As someone who enjoys horror mockumentaries such as “What We Do in the Shadows” and “Wellington Paranormal”, I have to admit that WNUF Halloween Special is more charming than it is actually funny. Most of the commercials will make you smile knowingly, but aren’t really jokes so much as recreations. The news bits were pretty funny, but once the live investigation begins, the movie’s laughs become less frequent, and things feel spread pretty thin. I suspect this would have worked better if it had all been wrapped up in under an hour.

Regardless of its weaknesses as a “film”, horror fans who lived through the 80’s should at least enjoy having this on in the background during a Halloween party, it would be a great joke to play on unknowing guests.

3 out of 5 stars.

4. Antlers 4/5 (FTV)
    6. Lamb 3/5 (FTV)
    7. Alligator 3.5/5 (FTV)
    8. Barbarian 4/5 (FTV)
    9. Orphan 3.5/5 (FTV)
    14. Baghead 3.5/5 (FTV)
    20. La Llarona 3/5 (FTV)
    25. Nope 3.5 (FTV)
    27. WNUF Halloween Special 3/5 (FTV)

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited October 2022
    34. Cabinet of Curiosities — episodes 7 & 8

The Viewing
    The Murmuring

Back-to-back weakest of the bunch.

1. SERVANT *
    2. Blackenstein*