Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Live Eagle Cam — Big Bear, California

Comments

• Jackie continues to bring more fluff to the nest placing it on top of the snow.  Will there be a second clutch this season?  These two really need a break- the nest was so ready and  beautiful and then came the snow...   Yes, that is a raven pestering Jackie.

GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Not again!...
    The morning after the latest snow storm, Jackie landed in the nest to find it completely snow-filled. Shadow landed right behind her…and they both seemed astonished that their nest had completely disappeared…again. Jackie couldn’t find the nest bowl. Shadow could not find a single one of his sticks to rearrange. Nothing was visible. Nothing was movable. Now what?
    They both wandered around the nest searching for what to do next. Jackie even laid down on top of the snow for a few seconds, like she was trying to see if the nest still fit. Shadow tried to lay down where Jackie had, but couldn’t actually get himself to touch his chest on that snow.
    Later in the morning, Shadow started bringing in new sticks—first a small one, then a giant one. The small one easily found a home, but that big one was a tough cookie. It didn’t seem to fit anywhere in exactly the way Shadow liked, so he kept moving it to new spots.
    By their evening visit, the nest was refilled with new snow. Jackie looked around in disbelief, then waded through the snow to adjust the new stick Shadow brought earlier. At least that was something she could do. Everything else was buried. When Shadow arrived, he helped her with that stick.
    Jackie finally gave up trying to figure out what to do with the nest for the evening and went out to sit on the front porch. Shadow never gives up on things quite as quickly. He had to try once more to get that big stick in the right place. Then he joined Jackie on the front porch.
    After he moved to his own spot on the left, he and Jackie had a long discussion about something…maybe about what they planned to do with all this snow. And, as is often the case, Jackie had to get the last word in.
    All the sitting without being able to work, apparently gets a little stiffening—Jackie had to do a few of her yoga stretches to loosen up. She very regularly does these when she gets up from sitting on eggs or chicks.
    Shadow followed Jackie back into the nest for one more look-about. When there still wasn’t anything that could be done with the nest or furniture, they headed off to their nearby roost tree. Shadow, who prefers to be positioned next to the trunk of the tree, worked his way around the branches until he could squeeze into his favorite spot for the night.
    Note: While they are sitting side-by-side on the front porch (especially starting at minute 16:30 of the video), it is easy to see the distinct difference in their size—Jackie, on the right, is at least 1/3 bigger, heftier and taller than Shadow, on the left.
    Jackie and Shadow are still very determined. Since the storm stopped, they have been bringing more sticks and more fluff to the nest, stacking them on top of the snow, defending the nest and moving forward with getting everything ready for whatever they have in mind. And, as always, we have no way of knowing what that might be. The continued cold and wintery feel may keep them in nesting mode. Another clutch of eggs is still possible, since it has happened in the past, but we do not know whether that might happen this time—we will watch and see what Jackie and Shadow have in store for us.
    Sandy

This link will show the video:  https://www.facebook.com/FOBBV
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Jackie and Shadow started Saturday off with some early morning mating on their favorite lookout tree. Shadow seemed so determined to make this work that he stayed longer than usual on top of Jackie…which she seemed a little displeased with. But then he made up for everything when they moved to the nest—first, he brought her a fish…and in the afternoon he brought her another fish…and a little while later he brought her yet one more fish! Each time, Jackie squealed out her claims of ‘mine, mine, mine.’ And each time Shadow turned the fish over to her without question. Never mind that the last one was already half eaten when he delivered it—Jackie seemed perfectly happy with her share.
    In the evening, Jackie arrived first, with Shadow close behind. After the past few days of adding sticks and fluff on top of the snow, the nest bowl is visible again. Jackie decided to try out the fit and apparently it wasn’t quite up to par—she and Shadow both immediately started working on moving the soft materials around the next bowl, sometimes one strand at a time. Shadow, of course, knows that he knows best where each little bit of nesting material goes. But Jackie is the one who had tried out the fit. That combination created a bit of a pushing and shoving match, sometimes with wings overlapping onto each other, as they each focused on fixing the nest bowl up ‘properly.’
    Being the ‘big’ girl that she is, Jackie eventually moved aside and let her loving partner finish the arranging as he saw best. When Shadow finished, Jackie made a few final modifications before following him off the front porch to a nearby roost tree for the night.
    Lots of people are asking…yes, it is possible, though not guaranteed, that with all these nesting activities they could have another clutch of eggs this season. We will observe and enjoy as they continue to teach us new things about bald eagles, nesting and nature.
    Sandy
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Early morning snowfall and continuing. They just cant get a break!

FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Okay. Where is one of the Florida babies ?  I can’t look anymore. This is giving me huge anxiety. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • As of 3/30/23 both E21 and E22 are still nesting. Lots of tree branch hops, but no fledge yet.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • Apparently there was an owl strike that knocked
    E21 off nest and he did fledge but managed to make it back.  

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Apparently there was an owl strike that knocked

The owl strike ,where E21 landed safe in the nest was not considered the fledge;
    Here is a snippet of the actual fledge and comment

Mar 30, 2023
    E21 fledged beautifully this morning at 7:28am flying NW, returning to the nest tree at 7:58am - 30 minutes later. This is a 'snippet' from my footage of E21's fledge morning with footage of ONLY the fledge flight and return flight. The COMPLETE video including E21's adventure under the nest before fledge and their adventure after return will be posted later. E21 is 85 days old today; fledging 6 days after branching. Way to go, E21!! Thank you SWFEC, hosted by Dick Pritchett Real Estate, for providing & maintaining suitable trees & environment for this Bald Eagle Family. www.SWFLEagleCam.com Thank you to Dick Pritchett Real Estate (SWFEC), Church of the Nazarene, Eagle Landing & several friends for allowing me to film on their premises.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • spideyman said:
    Apparently there was an owl strike that knocked

The owl strike ,where E21 landed safe in the nest was not considered the fledge;
    Here is a snippet of the actual fledge and comment

Mar 30, 2023
    E21 fledged beautifully this morning at 7:28am flying NW, returning to the nest tree at 7:58am - 30 minutes later. This is a 'snippet' from my footage of E21's fledge morning with footage of ONLY the fledge flight and return flight. The COMPLETE video including E21's adventure under the nest before fledge and their adventure after return will be posted later. E21 is 85 days old today; fledging 6 days after branching. Way to go, E21!! Thank you SWFEC, hosted by Dick Pritchett Real Estate, for providing & maintaining suitable trees & environment for this Bald Eagle Family. www.SWFLEagleCam.com Thank you to Dick Pritchett Real Estate (SWFEC), Church of the Nazarene, Eagle Landing & several friends for allowing me to film on their premises.
    I was just going by what their twitter page said. But his flight was beautiful!!!  M has done an amazing job. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • E21 has flown off and not come back. Camera is searching for him/her. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Congratulations to E22. Fledged at 9:24:31am at 84 days old. E22 flew to a front pine tree. E22 roosted on the attic overnight, was struck by an owl at 1:14a. E22 fell to a low branch under the nest. Just like E21. Hopefully we will see them soon. 36 minutes ago

Big Bear Lake is clear of snow and upgades being made

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • 12:11p E flew in from the east , under the nest , vocal.Vocals sound like E22.12:18p M flies from nest, circles around lower and back to nest.12:35pm M flies up to treetop from nest. 7 minutes ago
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNeesy
  • At 16:32:39 M flies back to the nest with the larger fish. Maybe he was trying to encourage E22 to the ground to eat. When the E didn’t take the bait he returned the food stash to the nest.

E22 remains on a branch just under the nest. M, dad, kept a watchful eye all day.

No official confirmation, but 21 may have been seen in another tree. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • Sunday April 2, 2023
    7:00a E22 had a peaceful night under the nest. 7:12a E22 stretching, moving around, partial fish in the nest. 7:28am E22 moves to a different branch, and back. 8:31a E22 moving around
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • 11:37a E22 continues to observe the area, vocal off and on. Still under the nest. 11:57a E22 flies out from under the nest toward the church. E22 perched under the nest for almost 22 hours. Hiding from cameras for now. 

Big Bear Lake nest is ready. New mating this morning. 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • edited April 2023
    I follow a different eagles nest in Decorah, Idaho.  
    I just love this video of another, with a poor broken wing, flying again.

• I follow a different eagles nest in Decorah, Idaho.  

Oh my... 🥹 💜
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • I follow a different eagles nest in Decorah, Idaho.  

Magnificent.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Updates on FL: 4/3/2023
    8:48a. E22 found perched on the pasture fence. 9:33a Horse came by E22flew off. 9:42a M to treetop branch. 9:49a E22 to lower branch in nest tree, flies to the church side snag. 9:53a M to the attic, to the ground near the pond. E22 watching, vocal. a minute ago

A personal note-- I am sickened by the disrespect of humans towards these eaglets. There are laws to protect them, yet humans ignore. When E22 fledged from the nest tree and flew over the road, which could have been catastrophic,  people by the fence were cheering, waving their arms and clapping so loudly it was picked up on  live cam audio.  That eaglet was traumatized.
    Yes, the sidewalk along the fence is a public walkway, but where is common sense!

This morning, E 22 is being enticed by dad to come down and eat. Yet a man is shouting at E with each squeak.   This time the man was on church side of fence and YES, the police have been called. Private land. 
  • Bev, please delete this post if I have overstepped the rules.

Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act

The Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act (16 U.S.C. 668-668d), enacted in 1940, and amended several times since, prohibits anyone, without a permit issued by the Secretary of the Interior, from "taking" bald or golden eagles, including their parts (including feathers), nests, or eggs.

The Act provides criminal penalties for persons who "take, possess, sell, purchase, barter, offer to sell, purchase or barter, transport, export or import, at any time or any manner, any bald eagle ... [or any golden eagle], alive or dead, or any part (including feathers), nest, or egg thereof."

The Act defines "take" as "pursue, shoot, shoot at, poison, wound, kill, capture, trap, collect, molest or disturb."  Regulations further define "disturb" as “to agitate or bother a bald or golden eagle to a degree that causes, or is likely to cause, based on the best scientific information available, 1) injury to an eagle, 2) a decrease in its productivity, by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior, or 3) nest abandonment, by substantially interfering with normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering behavior" (50 CFR 22.6).

In addition to immediate impacts, this definition also covers effects that result from human-induced alterations initiated around a previously used nest site during a time when eagles are not present, if, upon the eagle's return, such alterations agitate or bother an eagle to a degree that interferes with or interrupts normal breeding, feeding, or sheltering habits, and causes injury, death or nest abandonment.

A violation of the Act can result in a fine of $100,000 ($200,000 for organizations), imprisonment for one year, or both, for a first offense. Penalties increase substantially for additional offenses, and a second violation of this Act is a felony.

• I’m not sure there has been any sighting of E21. People suck.  People are stupid. It’s very disappointing and disgusting. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • E22 had a whole fish by the back side of the pond. No reports on E 21 as of yet.

• E22 found the beach side of the pond. Sips of water, playing with sticks, getting feet wet, bottom wet, bath! Asleep now in snag tree by side fence. Will post a vidoeo of pond  soon.
  • Awww. I wish we could see E21 too. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNeesy
  • Video  of E22 first bath and exploration of pond