Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Did Your Wishes Come True?-- SPOILERS

NayNay
edited October 2004 in Dark Tower
I went back to retrieve some of the things I hoped would be resolved - this is what I wrote in early July:

Blu, , I would keep your list (who doesn't want to hear about Jack Sawyer again!! ), but for me, I would move Patrick Danville (Insomnia) and Rose Madder to at least mentioned.. Insomnia had enough DT tie-ins that it's well-deserved and Rose Madder, although it's not one of my favourites, really piqued my curiousity as far as possible tie-ins go.

There is also a small matter from the Wastelands (involving Talitha Unwin) that I want to see if it is brought to a resolution, or whether it was more anecdotal.

Firestarter is not one of my favourites either, never has been.  

Lin

Well. Patrick certainly got resolved - at least mentioned and then some. :)  I was mega-happy that Roland kept his promise of the cross for Talitha.  

I'm going to add another one to your list....

Tyler from Black House; I'd like to see what his importance is in the wrap-up....

Obviously Tyler's importance was confined within Black House.  :)

Comments

• More of what led to his mother's death. More of what happened to his friends. Of course Jack Sawyer and Tyler.

• No, but it turned out a bit better than I expected. Like that old saying says, "Sometimes, on the way to your dream, you get lost and you find a better one."

• Darth Pookie wrote: No, but it turned out a bit better than I expected. Like that old saying says, "Sometimes, on the way to your dream, you get lost and you find a better one."

Darth Pookie, why are you just a "guest" now - where's your cute little moving avatar? Nice to see you!

Lin
  • Nope.

None turned out like I expected but that's what i like about the book... and SK :)

He writes for nobody's expectation. This has become among my faves in the series. Magnificent ;)
  • Lin242 wrote:

Darth Pookie, why are you just a "guest" now - where's your cute little moving avatar? Nice to see you!

Lin
    Well, sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I go to click on Add Reply and it takes me to the Quick Reply screen where I only have to enter my screen name and my e-mail and then I post. I'm still a member, but when I'm in a rush sometimes I forget to log in.
  • I don't think I've ever logged out from here...

Is one of the permanent fixtures here :D

That's why people probably see DTUK as always here.

• Darth_Pookie wrote:

Well, sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I go to click on Add Reply and it takes me to the Quick Reply screen where I only have to enter my screen name and my e-mail and then I post. I'm still a member, but when I'm in a rush sometimes I forget to log in.

:) I didn't even know you could do that. You learn something new every day.

*Hi Dukky* :)

• Hey Lin :)
  • My main wishes were to see Patrick Danville save Roland and Eddie, to see Jack Sawyer involved, to see a satisfying resolution to the Breakers and to the Crimson King, and to see Roland live to see the Tower.

So, not too bad. And there were plenty of surprises to make up for the wishes I didn't get. :)

HBJ,

who just finished DTVII this morning.
  • I finished..whoo hooo!

I was hoping Flagg would die some unimaginable, horrible, painful death, which he did, but in a very anti-climatic way I think. That may not make sense, but to me, he was smart enough to live all those years, and he was outwitted by a baby/spider?

If that's the only thing I could say I was dissapointed in, somewhat, and it was, then it's something I'll overlook. ;D
  • HBJ... I think people really embraced Jack Sawyer and would have loved to have seen him - myself included as I wrote above. :)

CC, I agree.. did you see my comments at SKBB? I was like.... Mordred??? I didn't think he deserved to be Flagg's executioner. But.. I loved this book overall also.

Lin
  • I loved the book beyond belief, but I was hoping that we would find out why Toren knew the high speech, why jake had a vision of Mose Carver as being in a prison cell, and why SK saw Eddie in the barn as a child. I've thought long and hard about many of the things in DT7 and can pretty much fill in the blanks on my own (one word- KA), but I would love to have had SK's thoughts on those matters.

The only stuff that bothers me in the series has to do with the keystone. That seems like a plot device to lend urgency to the situation, but it creates a number of interesting paradoxes.

Take Mose Carver for example- how can he be the same Mose Carver that is Susannah's godfather if he is from keystone and she is not.

Overall, though, I loved it. great book, great series, just don't spend much time nitpicking it, or you will drive yourself nuts (I know, I used to be much worse about nitpicking than I am now).
  • I remember Flagg thinking that he should have bypassed where Mordred was, but that his curiosity got the better of him...even with his escape routes planned.

Definetly a case of Curiosity Killed the Cat...

That was always Flagg's failing, not taking care of the small details...

I would have loved to have seen him have a showdown with Roland, but for his character, he ended as he was meant too...by dying to a superior opponent, where he had always believed himself to be superior.

Was very cool seeing where he originated from also - Walter Padkin...
  • Welcome Dem! :) Those were very interesting "unresolved" questions also. It's interesting to read what outstanding issues still remain for people.

Dukky, I know, but it wasn't the greatest showdown in the west, was it? :-/ Although on a gross factor it was pretty good.

Lin
  • Nice surprise by SK there- who didn't think that Mordred would go along with Flagg and let him take care of him until he didn't need him.

It is like Sk was thinking of doing that, and then he was like "f*** it, let's just kill the bastard here".
  • Lin242 wrote:

CC, I agree.. did you see my comments at SKBB?  I was like.... Mordred??? I didn't think he deserved to be Flagg's executioner.  But.. I loved this book overall also.

Lin
    No I didn't, I skimmed thru a thread over there, but I did see someone ask why didn't Susannah ask Patrick for legs. I was sure she was, but instead she was asking for the door to be drawn.
  • It wasn't how I wanted to see Flagg go down...since he has been throughout alot of King's work, I always assumed he would face Roland before the Crimson King - but when Mordred read Flagg's mind, he saw what Flagg had been planning and if there was anyone worse being in the Dark Tower than CK, it would have been Flagg.

So, he bit the dust rather prematurely...

Hands up to Mordred mind you for taking Flagg out so quickly and efficienty, it hadn't been done to that serious degree before...

Flagg had merely been banished from other worlds previously.

It shocked the hell out of me his demise though, and so early in the book as well.
  • DTUK wrote:

It shocked the hell out of me his demise though, and so early in the book as well.
    Me too.
  • I wouldn't have minded Walter being eliminated this way if Mordred had turned out to be more of a badass. Unfortunately, though, Mordred's attack on Roland was brutal, but over almost as soon as it started.

I think that ultimately, Walter would have been a more daunting foe for Roland to overcome on his way to the Tower. Or I would have prefered there be a little more suspense to Mordred's and Roland's final confrontation.

HBJ
  • Dem wrote: Nice surprise by SK there- who didn't think that Mordred would go along with Flagg and let him take care of him until he didn't need him.  

It is like Sk was thinking of doing that, and then he was like "f*** it, let's just kill the bastard here".

I know.. d*a*m*n, he's good at that. :) I flelt that really strongly with Eddie. :(

No I didn't, I skimmed thru a thread over there, but I did see someone ask why didn't Susannah ask Patrick for legs. I was sure she was, but instead she was asking for the door to be drawn.

That was Rewot Krad (great Minion Lord of KR2 and sybil)- I thought that was both brilliant and funny. :)

Lin

• Someone suggested over at thedarktower.net that Flagg should have entered the tower and been looped back to the desert too, thus when roland looped, we would get our explanation for how Roland ended up chasing Walter to begin with.

That would have really been a mind blowing ending!!!

:o
  • That would have worked too :)
  • Well I'm sorry - I loved the book but HATED that ending!

(I wish I never read the epilogue) - it made the whole series pointless. :'( but that's just my opinion.

---- The "end" left me letdown and empty and I've thought about it for 2 weeks now.....

It took the magic out of the whole series IMHO.

Dam, I hate to say that.

the end left me feeling cheated out of a real ending. :'(

But I loved everything else.

• HK, I know what you mean. I finished the book this morning, and that was my initial reaction too. I'm hoping I'll find a more hopeful spin on it after I get a bit of distance.

A bit later, I'll probably post a vent in one of the DT ending threads ...

HBJ
  • Heat_Kitchen wrote: Well I'm sorry - I loved the book but HATED that ending!

(I wish I never read the epilogue) - it made the whole series pointless. :'(  but that's just my opinion.

---- The "end" left me letdown and empty and I've thought about it for 2 weeks now.....

It took the magic out of the whole series IMHO.  

Dam, I hate to say that.  

the end left me feeling cheated out of a real ending. :'(

But I loved everything else.

Oh Steve, no way!! I didn't know you felt that strongly about the ending - I don't know if we've discussed the ending in detail yet, just arbitrary events thus far. Now we must. Yes, we must. ;)

Lin