Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Did Your Wishes Come True?-- SPOILERS

Comments

• I just nailed the Hollywood ending if this ever gets made into a movie ;D

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH :P
  • Now Heat if that was the ending I might just puke! ;D

How about Roland enters the room and the door slams shut behind him and locks forever and he becomes the ruler of the tower and must stay there forever and a day! Nah - that's stupid too!

Personally, I 'm satisfied wit the ending. I like King because you never know what curve he might throw. He killed the boy in Cujo, he killed the boy and brought him back evil in Pet Semetery, he killed of Johnny Smith for crissakes, but the worst of it all he killed Wolf! Well he didn't really kill them - he just let them die. :o

And come to think of it what about all the great characters in The Stand that he killed off! Need another unhappy ending - what about Storm of the Century.

I like this ending much more than the Bilbo Baggins type ending "and they lived happily ever after!"

I really got what I wanted - for Stevie boy to finish the story!
  • Hey - my Disney ending works does it not? ;D

I think it's very uplifting.

But of course your right ----- It is King's vision that counts. :)

But I would not puke if it ended that way - or a way similar to it.

I guess I just wanted SOMETHING nice for old Roland.

Hey -the Lord of the Rings has a sweet and sour ending if ya ask me. Sure the ring is destroyed - but you still feel all the death and destruction the war has caused (environmental as well as human). I did not think it was exactly Happy ever after - Maybe the Hobbit was I havent read it in so long now I can't remember.

But now you've got me off track ;D
  • I think the "Option" of whether or not to keep reading after the ending with Eddie, Susannah and Jake was a bit like Roland's "Option" whether or not to continue his quest after saving the beam, or perhaps going all the way to the tower and then turning back once he merely glimpsed it. You kind of have to keep reading, because one of the major points of the series was Roland breaching the tower to see what was on the top floor. We also have to find out what is on the top floor. I personally think tht this will be his final loop, that he finally got it right by being so emotional at the loss of his friends. But who really knows... ???

One other thing that I wonder about, didn't Blaine say some thing about an instrument being played at some level of the tower? His circuits might have been seriously fried, but I think it was an oversight (albeit not an important one).
  • Heat_Kitchen wrote: OOOOh - How 'bout this? -

Roland reaches the top of the tower and finds a door. A door with no name - Roland is given the right to name the door whatever he wants - In the high speech he calls for Susan (his susan from DT4) ------- Whoops there he goes  ;D ------ he's back in DT4 -full earth by Eyebolt Canyon.

He kills that witch Rhea of the Coos......

Saves Susan --- blah blah ---- goes back to Gilead with Susan and his buds (after besting the coffin hunters again) ---- Gets back, kills Walter or Flagg or whomever he is called......Makes Gilead strong again ---- Happy Ever after --- nice neat package. Roland gets to live as a young man again in love. ;D

This of course begs the bigger question of how HK and I live harmoniously in the same house when he so glaringly ignores my personal feelings about DTIV. ;D

*passes Bob a Rolaid, saving some for sheepish when I start talking about Ashton Kutcher again :P*

Steve, you know I laughed my a*s*s off when I read your "nice neat package* cause I told you I did.. but hey, if there has to be an idealistic romantic ending, why not that? ;) We will agree to disagree on DTIV.

Lin 8)
  • Hi Everyone and CRinVA, in particular,

I just had to comment about how "worst of all, he killed Wolf."

I have never cried as hard as I did when Wolf died....until poor, brave little Oy died. It broke my heart.

Linda
  • I also cried when Oy died. I couldn't help it. When Roland thought back about how he yelled at Oy the day before it made it even worse. :'(
  • LalaH wrote: Hi Everyone and CRinVA, in particular,

I just had to comment about how "worst of all, he killed Wolf."

I have never cried as hard as I did when Wolf died....until poor, brave little Oy died.  It broke my heart.

Linda

Welcome Linda. :) I'm a Linda too, but I play a Lin on the boards.   I am loathe to say that I did not cry when Wolf died, or Oy, which is really weird because I cry just about at everything else.  :-/  I was very sad, but not tearful.

Tobey, I felt bad for Roland also, but he should have never been mean to Oy in the first place. :(  Bad Roland.

Lin
  • I found myself saddened at Oy's death, but not crying - probably because my emotions had pretty much been numbed through everything preceeding that moment. :-/
  • DTUK wrote: I found myself saddened at Oy's death, but not crying - probably because my emotions had pretty much been numbed through everything preceeding that moment.  :-/

Oooh Dukky, that's a good point at least for Oy - I think maybe that happened with me too, it was like, okay, what's next by that time.

Lin
  • I just figurted they were getting picked off one by one and that it was inevitible that Suzannah was next.  I kept wondering for quite some time what the focus was on the awful zit thing on her face.  And of course I thought it a forgone conclusion that Patrick Danvill's part would be short and sweet and he would go the way of Pere Callahan!

Guess I was wrong!  ;D
  • CRinVA wrote: I just figurted they were getting picked off one by one and that it was inevitible that Suzannah was next.  I kept wondering for quite some time what the focus was on the awful zit thing on her face.  And of course I thought it a forgone conclusion that Patrick Danvill's part would be short and sweet and he would go the way of Pere Callahan!

Guess I was wrong!  ;D

Bob, I found the "face" thing a little anti-climatic with Susannah except that it showed Patrick's power when he erased it. :) Maybe that's just me -- and I kind of wanted to know what happened to Patrick. :( Wonder if he ever got to give Roland's kiss to Susannah? :)
  • Lin242 wrote:

Oooh Dukky, that's a good point at least for Oy - I think maybe that happened with me too, it was like, okay, what's next by that time.

Lin

Yep - I was pretty much expecting Susannah to bite the dust before Oy and just had a sense of foreboding that it would happen to Oy also, since Roland was destined to enter the Dark Tower alone.
  • I was also pretty numb by the time Oy died. But I think I could accept it more because he died doing something so heroic. Oy knew that he had little chance against Mordred, and that he was just buying time.

I must admit I liked how King was able to fulfil the prophesy of Oy's death that Roland saw in the Wizard's Glass in DTIV. Not that I wanted it to happen that way, but it was clever.

Lin, I saw your post elsewhere where you said you felt that Susannah had cried off somewhat by leaving through the door. I understand, but I'm more with Susannah on this one. She had no motivation to be there - the Tower had been saved, the ka-tet was broken, her husband was dead - and she discovered a real chance to be happy with Eddie again. She could see that Roland was destined to enter the Tower alone which meant a meaningless end for her. Choose Life, as George Michael would wear in a certain eighties video.

HBJ
  • Hunchback Jack wrote: I was also pretty numb by the time Oy died. But I think I could accept it more because he died doing something so heroic. Oy knew that he had little chance against Mordred, and that he was just buying time.

I must admit I liked how King was able to fulfil the prophesy of Oy's death that Roland saw in the Wizard's Glass in DTIV. Not that I wanted it to happen that way, but it was clever.

Lin, I saw your post elsewhere where you said you felt that Susannah had cried off somewhat by leaving through the door. I understand, but I'm more with Susannah on this one. She had no motivation to be there - the Tower had been saved, the ka-tet was broken, her husband was dead - and she discovered a real chance to be happy with Eddie again. She could see that Roland was destined to enter the Tower alone which meant a meaningless end for her. Choose Life, as George Michael would wear in a certain eighties video.

HBJ

That's OK HBJ, I still love ya. :) I just felt Susannah had come such a long way just to "ride off through the door", but love is strong, I know. Talking about George Michael, I just saw the video for "Freedom" yesterday on retro. :P

Lin
  • okay everyone, rache is coming over tomorrow. So we all need to hide in the closets(Bob, don't touch my butt!) and when she comes, then we all jump out and yell

SURPRISE!!!

hopefully, all will have gone well and she won't have pee'd her pants.

Welcome Rache. ;D
  • Twasn't me deary! ;D
  • hopefully, all will have gone well and she won't have pee'd her pants.

Guess that depends. :)

Lin
  • Linny,

I depend on you to come up with quik snippets like that! You just keep pampering me Luv!
  • I have never cried as hard as I did when Wolf died....until poor, brave little Oy died. It broke my heart.
    I also cried when Oy died. I couldn't help it. When Roland thought back about how he yelled at Oy the day before it made it even worse.
    Oy's death was the only one I really feared going into the book. I even found myself skimming the paragraphs because I did not want to read the horror of the event. Although I did catch the general points of it - such as the way Roland felt after yelling at him.

I can handle human deaths much easier. The thing that shocked me totally in this book is that Oy was the last to have died. Some silly part of me actually thought that he wouldn't have to.

Eddie's death surprised me a lot because it was first. And it was without any major foreshadowing - at least, not that I can recall. I figured he would die... but I was expecting Oy, Jake or Susannah to go first.

okay everyone, rache is coming over tomorrow. So we all need to hide in the closets(Bob, don't touch my butt!) and when she comes, then we all jump out and yell

SURPRISE!!!

Welcome Rache.
    OMG!! ;D This is totally cool... I'm reading along the posts and then I see my name. "huh?" And I go back to see this. How sweet! I feel loved. Or ... at least... you guys have a thing about me peeing my pants. ::)
  • CRinVA wrote: Linny,

I depend on you to come up with quik snippets like that! You just keep pampering me Luv!

Bob, :), looks like you're snipping yourself. *ouch*.. ;D

Rache, I'm so glad you are done the book and can rave (or rant) about it freely now. :) As you know, I was not affected by Oy's death (but more by Roland's feelings) as I was about Eddie.

There was that "unknown" foreshadowing from DTVI for example (death would come between them) or from DTVII (just previous) the last time they would be so as a ka-tet, but d*a*m*n it was still a shock that it was Eddie. I still can't believe that part even though I read it. I also expected Eddie to be the last one standing with Roland at least to as far as he could go. :)

Lin

• Lin242 wrote:

I also expected Eddie to be the last one standing with Roland at least to as far as he could go. :)

Lin

Me too lin, I was shocked how his death happened, and that he was the first.
  • Ford_Prefect wrote: okay everyone, rache is coming over tomorrow. So we all need to hide in the closets(Bob, don't touch my butt!) and when she comes, then we all jump out and yell

SURPRISE!!!

Welcome Rache. ;D

Bob :o - why are you touching Ford's butt?
  • Why do men climb Mt Everest? Because it's there!

And I am not comparing Ford's butt to Mt Everest! ;D
  • CRinVA wrote: Why do men climb Mt Everest?  Because it's there!

And I am not comparing Ford's butt to Mt Everest!   ;D

Has found that women generally don't like having parts of their anatomy compared to large objects...lol