Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Mist

Comments

• Quint of AICN returns for his second set visit. Here is Part 2 of 3.

Last two shots are good creepy Pharmacy ones.
  • Darabont in the pharmacy

• Frank Darabont's first interview after wrapping THE MIST. It's on MTV dot com, so be prepared for an onslaught of visual and audio input!
  • William Sadler, cast member on the drama-thriller Traveler, will be gracing the big screen in the horror movie The Mist. Distributed by Dimension Films, the film is scheduled to hit the theaters on November 21.

This isn’t William Sadler’s first movie role. The 57-year-old actor, currently portraying Carlton Fog on the ABC series Traveler, has worked in films like Die Hard 2, Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey, and The Shawshank Redemption.

Based on Stephen King’s novel of the same title, The Mist centers on a town in Maine as a violent storm arrives. However, complications arise when a cloud of mist quickly envelops the area, sending a group of people trapped in a local grocery store. Soon, people discover that within the mist live numerous deadly creatures that may have been caused by a nearby military base. As a hell-like scenario engulfs the town, horrified citizens struggle to fight for survival.

“The story is less about the monsters outside than about the monsters inside, the people you're stuck with, your friends and neighbors breaking under the strain," Director Frank Darabont describes the film.

Frank Darabont initially expressed his interest in making a movie based on Stephen King’s The Mist for his directorial debut. However, he instead worked on the movie The Shawshank Redemption. Later, his interest in making the horror film sparked again under the studio of Paramount Pictures. After more changes, the project finally moved from Paramount to Dimension Films with Frank Darabont as the director, officially starting production in February in Shreveport, Louisiana.

In The Mist, the Traveler actor stars as the character Jim Grondin. The cast also includes Thomas Jane as David Drayton, Marcia Gay Harden as Mrs. Carmody, Andre Braugher as Brent Norton, Toby Jones as Ollie Weeks, Alexa Davalos as Sally, Laurie Holden as Amanda Dumfries, Nathan Gamble as Billy, Buck Taylor as Ambrose Cornell, and Chris Owen as Norm.

>> source
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

“The story is less about the monsters outside than about the monsters inside, the people you're stuck with, your friends and neighbors breaking under the strain," Director Frank Darabont describes the film.

Sigh. You gotta love it when someone 'gets' a story.
  • San Diego Comic Con, July 27th

Writer/director and three-time Oscar nominee Frank Darabont, along with actor Thomas Jane (The Punisher) and special guests, presents a sneak preview of The Mist. Based on the Stephen King novella, this highly anticipated film will hit theatres on November 21, 2007. After a violent storm attacks a town in Maine, an approaching cloud of mist appears the next morning. As the mist quickly envelops the area, a group of people get trapped in a local grocery store. The people soon discover that within the mist lives numerous species of horrific, unworldly creatures that entered through an interdimensional rift, which may or may not have been caused by a nearby military base. Ballroom 20
  • Here's the teaser poster they had made up for Comic-Con, done by famous poster artist Drew Struzan:

• Unfinished Cut of Darabont's The Mist Draws Kudos

Hot Fuzz helmer says it's "fantastic."

Excited about Frank Darabont's upcoming adaptation of Stephen King's The Mist? Edgar Wright is. The Hot Fuzz director says he's seen an unfinished version of the flick, and it's something to look forward to.

At a press conference last weekend promoting his Hot Fuzz DVD, Edgar Wright shared his enthusiasm for the film, currently in post-production for a November release. He also playfully dropped some famous cinematic names explaining how he came to screen The Mist at director Frank Darabont's invitation.

"I did, I saw [The Mist] in the edit," he began. "Not to name drop, but me and Quentin Tarantino went to watch it in the Avid at Frank Darabont's -- did I mention Quentin Tarantino?"

"Frank asked us to come into the Avid and watch it," he continued. "Frank Darabont -- director of The Mist, Shawshank, writer of Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Warriors…writer of The Blob: remake, Kevin Dillon…also Johnny Drama on Entourage -- sorry!" he said with a laugh.

Joking aside, Wright was impressed by what he saw. Coming from a proven genre buff, and a self-professed fan of Stephen King's original novel, that should be encouraging to fans. "I used to read Stephen King obsessively as a teenager, and The Mist was always one of those stories that struck a chord with me. And Frank's come up with a -- I don't know if you remember the ending of the story, it's quite open-ended conclusion -- but Frank Darabont has got an amazing ending, the final payoff is great. It's obviously unfinished; all of the effects [are] still unfinished, but the fact that it still worked in that state was great. And a great cast; Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden -- just fantastic."

Darabont is, after all, a three-time Oscar nominee. He's been honored for adapting and producing The Green Mile, and for adapting The Shawshank Redemption -- both of which were also originally Stephen King stories.
  • Excellent to hear!
  • Here's the standalone edition of The Mist with a cover done by famous movie poster artist Drew Struzan, whose work also appears in the film:

• Another tie-in:

The Mist Movie Tie-In: In 3 D Sound The Mist Movie Tie-In: In 3 D Sound

Release Date: October 2, 2007

From AudioFile

King's chilling novella is presented in "Kunstkopf" binaural 3-D sound. This recording technology creates the impression that sounds and voices are coming from different directions, not merely through the headphones. This format is especially well-suited for an eerie horror tale such as this. A diverse group of people trapped in a supermarket must battle not only the hellish creatures of the mist, but also each other in a desperate attempt to survive. The performers are quite good, and the music and sound effects are excellent.

• Chelsea posted this to SKEMERS:

Just was in the first test audience for The Mist with Frank Darabont , Stephen King, and Harvey Weinstein. Won't give away a thing but it is a must see!!!! King fans every where rejoice yet another awesome adaptation of King's work!!! Great gore, horror, suspense and performances! Two thumbs way up!!
  • New behind-the-scenes video from the set of The Mist.
  • Man I can't wait to see this!  Have I mentioned that before? ;)

The last webisode was cool - love the flamethrower!
  • Can't wait! :)

LK
  • Frank Darabont comments on the rating for The Mist

As you know, these test screenings are organized by independent companies who do that sort of thing...so this ain't Dimension's fault...but apparently (if I'm understanding the first reviewer correctly) they posted something outside the theater saying "Movie not yet rated, but likely PG-13." Or words to that effect.

That was clueless. I don't where they got that idea (maybe it's their standard shot-in-the-dark practice at test screenings), but PG-13 was NEVER a possibility for this film. Dimension went into this knowing I was going to make an R movie, and that's exactly what it is. We got our rating from the MPAA just a few days ago, and I can assure everybody it's a big fat R. And there's no way I'm trimming a frame of this movie to make it less of an R for the release.
  • ShowEast to close high on Darabont

ORLANDO -- Frank Darabont, whose adaptation of Stephen King’s “The Mist” will be screened Thursday at ShowEast, will receive the Kodak Award for Excellence in Filmmaking at the exhibition confab’s closing gala.

ShowEast runs through Thursday at the Orlando Marriott World Center.

In addition to directing “Mist,” Darabont wrote the screenplay and was a producer on the film, which MGM opens wide Nov. 21. Darabont’s previous King adaptation, 1999’s “The Green Mile,” also was screened at ShowEast before its bow.

“Working with Frank Darabont has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career,” said Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of the Weinstein Co. and Dimension Films, producers on “Mist.” “He has created a film that I am incredibly proud of, and I am sure that our relationship will continue well into the future.”

Said ShowEast co-managing director Mitch Neuhauser: “Frank Darabont is a master storyteller whose ability to showcase the humanity that lies within each of us, during dark and extraordinary times, is unequaled. ... Darabont is one of the most talented and respected multihyphenates working in the film industry today. Whether it’s directing, writing or producing, Frank knows how to make a good story even more exciting and bring it to life on the screen.”

Darabont is one of only a handful of filmmakers whose first two feature films received best picture Oscar nominations -- “Green Mile” and 1994’s “The Shawshank Redemption.”

Darabont won the Humanitas Prize, the PEN Center USA West Award and the Scriptor Award for his screenplay of “Shawshank.” With “Mile,” he won the Broadcast Film Critics prize for his screenplay adaptation and People’s Choice Awards for best dramatic film and best picture.

In 2001, Darabont directed Jim Carrey in “The Majestic,” and in 2004 he executive produced the thriller “Collateral” for DreamWorks with Michael Mann directing.

Darabont, whose recent TV work included directing the pilot of NBC’s “Raines” and an episode of FX’s “The Shield” last season, has several movie projects in development. Those include adaptations of Ray Bradbury’s “Fahrenheit 451” and of Robert McCammon’s “Mine.”

Previous recipients of the ShowEast’s Kodak Award include Christopher Guest, Jerry Weintraub, John Singleton, Brian De Palma, James L. Brooks, M. Night Shyamalan, Ron Howard, Martin Scorsese and Sidney Lumet.