Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Mist

Comments

• My set visit report and interviews with some of the stars is now up as a Free Read at CD's web site.

>>> Click here -- but be advised that there are spoilers if you aren't familiar with the story.

This will also be part of my column in CD #59.
  • The Stephen King adaptation "The Mist," a fright flick distributed by MGM for the Weinstein Co.'s Dimension Films banner, premiered in ninth-place with $9.1 million for the weekend and $13 million since Wednesday.

The third King adaptation from director Frank Darabont ("The Shawshank Redemption" and "The Green Mile"), "The Mist" stars Thomas Jane, Marcia Gay Harden, Andre Braugher and Toby Jones among residents trapped in a supermarket after their Maine town is engulfed in a haze filled with terrifying creatures.

Horror films generally are trashed by critics, but "The Mist" earned fairly positive reviews, much like Dimension Films' summer hit "1408," also based on a King story. Bob Weinstein, co-founder of the Weinstein Co., said that could mean a longer shelf life for "The Mist" the same way that "1408" hung on in theaters.

"It just stuck around, and hopefully, we'll be around for several weeks," Weinstein said. "We're just so thrilled to be in the Stephen King business."

For my thoughts on the movie, see my Live Journal post (link at bottom of this page)
  • From the Lincoln County News

Horror aficionados may now order on line the new Stephen King book "Secretary of Dreams Volume II", according to the book's illustrator, Newcastle artist Glenn Chadbourne. Chadbourne estimates there are about 200 of his drawings in the book. Go to www.cemeterydance.com to order.

Chadbourne said he spotted his t-shirt design worn by the first victim to die in King's new movie "The Mist" with Chadbourne's Doug Graves creation. Chadbourne said he heard on King's radio station WKIT that multiple t-shirts were used in the movie because of all the blood.

>>> [link=www.mainelincolncountynews.com/index.cfm?ID=29046]Source[/link]
  • Fangoria.com has obtained the exclusive storyboard art from THE MIST. These come from veteran storyboard artist Pete (BRIDE OF CHUCKY) Von Sholly, a longtime contributor to Darabont’s movies.

For more, see here

• Those are really neat. I've never seen anything like them!

John
  • The shooting script book of The Shawshank Redemption has storyboards like this, too, along with Darabont's explanation of why certain shots were filmed differently when they actually got to the set.
  • The Mist was #11 at the box office this weekend, with an estimated $4.245 million, down 50% from the previous weekend. They've surpassed the budget in two weeks with a total domestic take of $19,255,000
  • Some of Bernie Wrightson's concept art for The Mist's critters.
  • If you head over to my site you’ll find two new interviews. One with Frank Darabont and the other with Gregory Nicotero who did the special effects for The Mist.

I’m very pleased with how the interviews turned out (I even got some exclusive’s from Frank) and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do.

Lilja

www.Liljas-Library.com
  • On March 25th, Genius Entertainment and The Weinstein Company will issue Frank Darabont's The Mist on DVD. Sticking with Darabont's original intentions for the film, a two-disc collector's edition will present "Mist" in black and white along with a standard color version and the following special features...

• Audio commentary by writer/director Frank Darabont

• Eight deleted scenes with optional commentary

• A Conversation With Stephen King and Frank Darabont featurette

• When Darkness Came: The Making of THE MIST featurette

• Taming the Beast: Shooting Scene 35 featurette

• Monsters Among Us: A Look at the Creature FX featurette

• The Horror of It All: The Visual FX of THE MIST featurette

• Drew Struzan: Appreciation of an Artist featurette

A single-disc presentation is being released as well sans the b&w version and certain bonus goodies.
  • The Mist DVD is up for preorder at Amazon

• The Mist in Australia -- interview with Darabont: King's acolyte sees horror in the monsters within
  • DVD review at IGN, including a review of the B&W version.
  • Maybe he was going to get his DVD copy of The Mist?

Thomas Jane may have begun his St. Patrick's Day celebrating a little early.

The 39-year-old star of "The Punisher" was nabbed Monday morning (March 17) for DUI, reports TMZ.com.

Jane, who was born Thomas Elliot, was apparently going at "an extremely high rate of speed" on the I-5 in Kern County, Calif., when he was pulled over. He was taken into custody and charged with driving under the influence and driving with a a blood-alcohol level above .08 percent -- the legal limit in the state.

Jane has been released and awaits his arraignment on April 9.

Jane's other credits include " Stephen King's The Mist," "The Sweetest Thing," "Dreamcatcher," "The Thin Red Line," "Magnolia," "Boogie Nights" and "Face/Off." He's also married to "Medium" star Patricia Arquette and has made guest appearances on the show.
  • He was trying to get away from the monsters!! ;D

John
  • DALLAS, March 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- "The Mist" is rolling in today, with Blockbuster Inc. launching a free online game inspired by the Stephen King film at its website, http://www.blockbuster.com/. The game pits players against the predatory "Mist" creatures from the movie and highlights that BLOCKBUSTER(R) will have exclusive rentals of The Weinstein Company film when it is released on DVD on March 25.

Now through April 8, "The Mist" game will give gamers a chance to live the movie. Players must defeat a series of predators, battling their way through three levels based on scenes in the film. Those who escape the mist and win the game get a sneak peak of an exclusive interview with Stephen King and director/screenwriter Frank Darabont. The full version of this interview will be featured on the rental DVD, exclusively available at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores and online at http://www.blockbuster.com/.

The public can access the game at http://www.blockbuster.com/. In addition to the game, the landing page will feature the movie trailer, an option to rent the DVD and the option to receive a coupon redeemable for one $1.99 DVD rental at participating BLOCKBUSTER stores.

Based on the horror novella by Stephen King, "The Mist" tells the story of a mysterious mist that rolls into the town of Bridgton, Maine. David Drayton and his young son Billy are among a group of terrified townspeople who are trapped in a local grocery store by a strange, otherworldly mist. David is the first to realize there are "things" lurking in the mist -- deadly, horrifying things, not of this world. In this legendary tale of terror from master storyteller Stephen King, the thin veneer of civilization is stripped away, the masks are discarded and the true horror is revealed as us.

"The Mist" is part of an agreement that provides BLOCKBUSTER with exclusive U.S. rental rights to The Weinstein Company's theatrical and direct-to-video films, which are distributed by Genius Products, LLC. Other recent Weinstein Company releases made available for rent exclusively through Blockbuster include the Stephen King/Frank Darabont film "1408," "The Nanny Diaries" starring Scarlett Johansson, the Michael Moore documentary "Sicko" and the "Grindhouse" double feature including Quentin Tarantino's "Death Proof" and Robert Rodriguez's "Planet Terror."
  • Bev, I clicked on the link, but just got the regular Blockbuster home page. How do you get to the Mist game?

John
  • I'm not sure -- I went to the Blockbuster page and did a site search, which showed me this page but I still haven't tracked down the game.
  • The game is here: http://www.themistmoviedvd.com/

And when / if you make it there is a preview clip for you.

Lilja
  • Thanks, Lilja.

John
  • Francis Sternhagen interview. I got to chat with her a little on the set--she's a sweet lady. The intensity of some of the crowd scenes seemed to get to her at times, even when she wasn't in front of the cameras.