Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

The Mist

Comments

• I love Darabont, not only because he makes great adaptations of Stephen King's literature, but along with that he's also living proof that Stephen King is entirely adaptable when one of his adaptations is put into the hands of someone in his directorial leauge.

It's good to hear that he's stuck through the project - I'm excited to see the results!
  • Lilja reports the following additions to the cast:

Frances Sternhagen (Misery)

Alexa Davalos

Sam Witwer

Bill Sadler (The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile)

Jeff DeMunn (The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile)

Brian Libby (the prisoner in The Woman in the Room)
  • Woohoo!

Bill Sadler and Jeffery DeMunn - love it! and Sternhagen too - wonder if she plays the old lady who goes all religious?

He has rounded up a great cast.
  • Frances Sternhagen also played in Golden Years and Jeff DeMunn was also in Storm Of The Century.
  • There is now a long interview with Frank Darabont on my site for anyone that is interested.

Lilja

www.Liljas-Library.com
  • Marcia Gay Harden and Toby Jones have disappeared into "The Mist," Dimension Films' adaptation of a Stephen King story being helmed by Frank Darabont, who also will produce.

The script, written by Darabont, is set after a strange storm blows through a Maine town and its citizens are attacked by deadly creatures. A group of townfolks barricade themselves in a supermarket and struggle for survival. Thomas Jane, Andre Braugher, Laurie Holden and Amin Joseph already have been cast.

Harden will play Mrs. Carmody, an outspoken and ultimately divisive member of the trapped group; Jones will play Ollie, a mild-mannered supermarket manager who is forced to take heroic measures to save his life and the lives of others.

Shooting begins this week in Louisiana. Castle Rock will produce along with Dimension.

Harden won an Academy Award for her work in 2000's "Pollock" and was Oscar-nominated for 2003's "Mystic River." She will next be seen in "The Invisible," directed by David Goyer, and recently completed production on Paramount Vantage's "Into the Wild," directed by Sean Penn.

British actor Jones played Truman Capote in last year's "Infamous."
  • Darabont has rounded up a good cast. The results should be interesting.
  • I am plooking forward to this movie - always did love the story!

Bit of trivia - the audio version of The Mist, not just read by one person but acted out by several was recorded in upstate New York mostly in a high school gymnasium in Fort Edward, NY. I grew up about three miles from that school! I only know this as I was being anal and listened to the credits at the end of the audio and at first I heard Adirondack and then Fort Edward. That part of NY is called The Adirondacks!

I know boring to most, but I thought it pretty cool that it was done there. Where was I at the time - off in the US Marine Corps somewhere!
  • I think the casting of Hardin as Mrs. Carmody is interesting. I was thinking based on earlier casting that it would be Frances Sternhagen.
  • I just spoke to Frank and he says that Sternhagen is still in the movie and she is playing Irene.

Lilja
  • Quint reports from the set. Day 1
  • Quint reports from the set: Day 2
  • Quint reports from the set: Day 3 & Day 4 (with photos)
  • Frank Darabont will provide fans with news about THE MIST at the next West Coast edition of FANGORIA’s Weekend of Horrors convention, May 18-20, 2007 at Burbank’s Marriott Airport Hilton.
  • 'A bad day at the market' is fun for creators of 'The Mist'

By the way, I'm about to leave for my second day on the set of The Mist -- I'll have reports after I get back home!
  • A video blog from the set of The Mist at Jo-Blo
  • I'm back from Shreveport, and my mind is absolutely reeling with all that I've seen in the past two days. Now I just have to figure out how to write it up in some coherhent way. Stay tuned!
  • Here's a brief summary of my visit. Very brief!

The supermarket set is very cool--I almost did my weekly grocery run while I was there, except the bread that's been on the shelves since the beginning of the shoot in late February is looking very green around the gills. I'm sure the cure for a dozen diseases is growing on the stuff on the bottom shelf.

The film is shooting almost chronologically. The days we were there, Mrs. Carmody was whipping the crowd into a frenzy and Private Jessup was made the scapegoat for the mist. I wasn't sure about Marcia Gay Harden as Mrs. C because she in no way fits the character as described in the novella, but she will make a true believer out of people. She even had the crew whispering Hallelujah at the end of some of her diatribes.

Yesterday they did some mob scene shots and brought in a crane for some overheads in the grocery store, which was interesting to see. It was my first time on a film set, so seeing how everything worked was a real eye-opener for me.

They're shooting on a very fast schedule, 40-something days. Two cameras running almost constantly on the same shot, plus some second unit stuff or SFX work. Very long days on the set, too, six days a week. They're only a little bit behind schedule, with maybe 10 or 15 days left until they wrap.

I got the chance to formally interview Marcia Gay Harden, Toby Jones (Capote in Infamous) and Thomas Jane, as well as chitchat with many of the others: Frances Sternhagen, Bill Sadler, Jeffrey De Munn, etc. I'll be doing some articles on the film for Rue Morgue magazine, though I'm not sure what and when yet.

I was also pleased to meet David J. Schow, who was hanging around the set at Darabont's invitation. He spirited us away to the KnB headquarters so we could spend some time with the SFX folks and see all the cool monsters they've made for the movie. I've read Schow since Kill Riff and we know a lot of the same people via NECON, but I've never met him before. Helluva great guy, and he has a story for every occasion. He and I will be published together for the first time in A DARK AND DEADLY VALLEY.

I've got pages and pages of notes and hours of audio recordings, so it's going to take me a while to write about this on my Live Journal, but stay tuned for more if you're interested. We weren't allowed to take any photos on the sets, but the publicist will be sending me some for my various articles.

P.S. My traveling companions were Rich Chizmar (Cemetery Dance) and actor Johnathan Schaech, by the way.
  • Here is a longer recollection of my set visit. I have to turn in a 600-word journalistic report to Rue Morgue sometime in the next few days.
  • Awesome Bev! Thanks for sharing! I would have easily given up a pound of flesh to have visited the set!!
  • I was afraid I'd gained a pound or two of flesh after the good meals they fed us on set!
  • Great - then I would have come out ahead! ;)

• Chris Hewitt, me, Johnathan Schaech and Richard Chizmar in the KNB EFX monster shop at the set of The Mist. Photo by David J. Schow.
  • Quint of AICN returns for his second set visit. Here is Part 1 of 3.

Yeecch - spider eggs!
  • Love the handprints on the store doors. Those weren't there a few days ago, but they were shooting the scene that led up to them being there just as I was leaving. Poor Private Jessup.

The "video village" he mentions is the corner where the director and his monitors are located. I was intrigued to discover that Darabont wasn't within eyeshot of the actors. He was usually several grocery aisles away, watching the dual action on two monitors from two cameras. It's a mobile station because they have to be able to easily move his location in case that part of the store falls into the shot.

They were still dressing the inside of the pharmacy when we were there, but all the corpses were in place. It's a creepy set!