Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Recent appearances and interviews

Comments

• Ohio
    by Stephen Markley

...this one piques my interest for obvious reasons....

“My childhood was defined by reading Stephen King’s books at 3 a.m. when I should have been sleeping,” Markley says. “The best books are the ones you fall into — the ones that make you forget who you are and who the author is.”
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • Steve will be on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert tonight (August 9)
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • ...Colbert should have a deft touch with this one....
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarsha
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ...Colbert should have a deft touch with this one....
    I’m not sure. It could go many ways. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroMarsha
  • ...decent, nothing earth shattering-but not embarrassing to either gentleman...
    KurbenHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirMarsha
  • I loved his description of how he dealt with his characters when they got too heavy to carry. (The Stand) ☺
    MarshaNotaroKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Fantastic! I still love his humour. 😄
    NotaroBevVincentMarshaKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesy
  • ....I find the depth and breadth of his "likes" quite interesting....he is scattershot, no one genre......
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshaNeesy
  • edited August 2021
    In one of these interviews, stephen talks about writers having to address covid eventually. 

The story is how a murderer gets away with murder by infecting people with covid purposely. It’s like a couple of actual cases where people infected with AIDS and knew it went out and on purpose had unprotected sex to infect as many others as they could.  Knowing they were infecting people. I think they were prosecuted. 

What about the COVID murderer(s). 
     How do you get them?
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirKurbenMarsha
  • In one of these interviews, stephen talks about writers having to address covid eventually. 

The story is how a murderer gets away with murder by infecting people with covid purposely. It’s like a couple of actual cases where people infected with AIDS and knew it went out and on purpose had unprotected sex to infect as many others as they could.  Knowing they were infecting people. I think they were prosecuted. 

How do you get them?
    ....my thought is, they would have to make a credible/plausible threat, have a witnessed event or events and then be tested for the virus....charges would be filed from there?....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenMarsha
  • edited August 2021
    GNTLGNT said:
    In one of these interviews, stephen talks about writers having to address covid eventually. 

How do you get them?
    ....my thought is, they would have to make a credible/plausible threat, have a witnessed event or events and then be tested for the virus....charges would be filed from there?....
    It would be tricky, but i bet right this minute, someone or someones are purposely infecting others. For political reasons, a spouse killing a spouse, a rich Menendez duo killing parents for money, a jealous wife killing her partner’s mistress. 

prove it they’d say. It’s the perfect muuuurder. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTMarsha
  • Far from guaranteed, though, with the death rate being relatively low. It's not like a poison, when you can pretty much be certain that a certain dose will be lethal.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • edited August 2021
    Yes, but someone suddenly dying — raises flags. if poison, raises flags if detectable, caught.  Now, some people could poison slowly over time, but they have been caught. It’s been in the news. 

Covid, while not a guarantee, could work perfect on  that person with an underlying condition. So, patience and give it a try, what could it hurt? Hard to prove you purposely infected someone.  If it works, great for the murderer. 
    FlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTMarsha

• We are so excited to reveal Bloody Scotland’s most ambitious programme yet!

This year, our hybrid festival will give festival goers in Stirling the full-on festival experience while allowing authors and readers who can’t be there in person the opportunity to join in the fun.

Running from the 17-19th September, our 2021 festival will include the likes of Kathy Reichs, Karin Slaughter, Lee Child and Stephen King who will be beamed into the Albert Halls via live video link up where real life chairs will put questions to them in front of a live and digital audience.
    FlakeNoirKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaNeesy
  • ...hopefully it's not the same real life chair that Clint Eastwood got into a political debate with....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Linwood Barclay will be interviewing him.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenFlakeNoirMarshaNeesy
  • Not a recent one, 1983....

FlakeNoirMarshaHedda GablerGNTLGNTNeesy
  • ....I always enjoy when Steve is interviewed because I've never noticed him to give short shrift to anyone....yes, he may repeat anecdotes and some thoughts-yet he manages to sound fresh and charming-topped with that wry smile....
    FlakeNoirNotaroNeesy
  • UMaine English department hosts Stephen King

On Oct. 4 and 5, the University of Maine English department hosted alumnus and bestselling horror novelist Stephen King for a series of talks on the craft of writing. The events were contained to a small group of around 15 English students with a passion for creative writing. The talks were divided between the subjects of King’s “On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft,” in which students spoke about the writing process, and King’s “Lisey’s Story,” in which the discussion centered around the nature of screenplay writing.

The first of the talks was over King’s memoir “On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft,” and was held in Barrows Hall’s John T. Hill Auditorium. Students were encouraged to read the work before the event and come with questions on the craft of creative writing.

Caroline Bicks, a UMaine professor and the Stephen E. King Chair in Literature, began the event by introducing King, soon turning the stage over to him. 

“What I do is a mystery to me,” King said at the beginning of the event. He explained that the craft of writing comes from an unknown place. He continued with a brief introduction before opening the floor to questions from the audience.

Students were able to bring up both quotes and moments they found pertinent in his memoir, and were given the opportunity to learn about King’s writing process. During the event, King spoke about his struggles with writer’s block, and how he began to gain confidence as a young writer.

The second talk, which happened on Oct. 5 at the Ferland Engineering Center, centered around King’s “Lisey’s Story,” which was recently adapted into an Apple TV original limited series. Participants were asked to read the novel and watch the series in preparation for the discussion.

King spoke briefly about the nature of the story, and how it came to him.

“I got the idea for ‘Lisey’s Story’ in 2001. I had a serious case of pneumonia in both lungs,” King said of his experience in the hospital. “My wife decided that she was going to redo my office.”

King explained that when he returned the room had been completely redone.

“I looked at it and had this idea that I was dead, and I was a ghost visiting the room. That was the seed of the story,” King said.

Students were encouraged to ask questions about the nature of adapting a work for the screen and the process behind creating a series for television. 

King spoke to the nature of screenwriting as a collaborative process between the director and the writer, and the personal nature of “Lisey’s Story.”

“What I understand is the work is healing,” King said in response to a question about the symbolism of the healing pool present in the story. “The work is wonderful when it goes well. And when it doesn’t go well it’s wonderful.”

King also imparted knowledge about the craft and vocation of writing.

“Try to the best of your ability to tell a story that’s true,” King said. “For me ‘Lisey’s Story’ was what I understood about marriage, and the secrets about marriage.”

He emphasized that a story should come from a place of sincerity and excitement.

When asked about whether the inspiration for the story’s monster, the Long Boy, came from his own life experiences, King answered that it did.

“We all have our own monsters, don’t we?” he said. “Everything from anxiety to phobias to drug problems to alcohol problems. We’ve all got a Long Boy. Some are more dangerous than others.”

King encouraged students to harness those fears, to face them and use them to better their craft.

Several students weighed-in on their experiences following the events.

“It was a truly incredible experience that I didn’t think I’d get the chance to have when I started at UMaine. It inspired me, and was a great opportunity that I’m thankful for,” said Jackson Heichel, a fourth-year English student.

Other students shared the sentiment that the experience was one that they would not soon forget.

“I think it was really cool. Growing up watching things like the Shining, and reading King’s work and meeting him was a unique experience that I’ll never forget,” said Jacqui Weaver, a fourth-year English student.

GNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • “We all have our own monsters, don’t we?” he said. “Everything from anxiety to phobias to drug problems to alcohol problems. We’ve all got a Long Boy. Some are more dangerous than others.”

...one of the more profound quotes from Steve that I've ever seen...recent or not...
    FlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerNeesy
  • Wow,  incredible experiences! He keeps delighting me with his generosity. ❤
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Stephen King wrote the intro for new book about Alabama musician

...King took time out from his ever-productive schedule to write a sincere and colorful forward to a new coffee table about [Dave] Gallaher, “I’m a Roadrunner: Life and Times of a Bluesman.” The 168-page book tells Gallaher’s epic arc through essays and more than 100 photographs. From his Texas childhood, to worldwide touring elite guitarist, to gracefully accepting his destiny as Huntsville’s most iconic musician. Gallaher has lived several lives. “I’m a Roadrunner” lets you live some of them too.
    Hedda GablerNeesy