Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Recent appearances and interviews

Comments

• A Winter Evening with Stephen King

If you become a member of the Friends of Charlotte Hobbs Memorial Library before January 21, 2021 you are invited to be our guest at a very special event, A Winter Evening with Stephen King on Thursday January 28, 2021 from 7pm to 8pm.

A world-renowned author, humanitarian, philanthropist, and activist, Stephen King is also a neighbor and friend to many in the Lovell area. 

JOIN US  as Stephen talks about his deep connection to Maine, takes questions, and reads from his novel, Bag of Bones, which was loosely based on the town of Lovell where he and his family have been summer residents since 1980. We look forward to spending an evening with Stephen and hope you can join us for this live online event. 

NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymanFlakeNoirNeesySusanNorton
  • edited December 2020
    Can’t read it, darn! I’ll log into google later.
    GNTLGNTspideymanFlakeNoir
  • ....my favorite quotes "Did I write that?" &  “I stopped watching after a while because I just didn’t give a [expletive].”...... :D 

spideymanFlakeNoirNotaroHedda GablerNeesy
  • Is his book Later out yet?
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • Not yet. Later.

March 2.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaroNeesy
  • The "Winter Evening" event was wonderful. Loved the phone bomb from Tabby, and his reading from 'Salem's Lot - especially because I finished a re-read the day before.  <3
    NotaroBevVincentNeesyFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • ....another quiet way of giving back....I really respect his low key philanthropy, especially in this day & age of the nauseating "look at me" culture....
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNeesy
  • He is such a good and decent person. That's why we love you Stephen.
     (Just not in that way.)
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda GablerKurbenNeesy
  • Stephen King: "I Don't Think Anything Is Unfilmable Now"

The legendary author opens up about adapting his own work with Apple's take on "Lisey's Story."

Stephen King doesn't "think anything is unfilmable now."

The prolific author has seen many of his works adapted for film and television — including CBS All Access' The Stand, HBO's The Outsider and the It franchise — and singled out the personal nature of bringing Lisey's Story to life on Apple as perhaps one of the bigger challenges in adapting his vast library.

"Be all the way in, as much as possible, or be all the way out," King said Friday about his philosophy for bringing his work to the screen. "There's been a lot of projects [where it's like] step back, write books, maybe something will come along, a passion project, and this was that, a passion project."

Lisey's Story marks a rare move for King, who wrote all eight episodes of Apple's take on his 2006 horror-romance best-seller Lisey's Story. The series, which reunites him with frequent collaborator J.J. Abrams, along with stars Julianne Moore and Clive Owen, and is due in the summer on the streamer.

"Stephen makes a great point, most anything is filmable," Abrams told reporters Friday during a virtual panel as part of the Television Critics Association's winter press tour. "The question is what should be — and not what can be. It's hard to think of all the amazing stories Stephen has written."

King noted that the personal nature of Lisey's Story made filming the series "particularly challenging" as "it goes through so many different levels of remembrance." The thriller revolves around Lisey Landon (Moore) two years after the death of her husband, famous novelist Scott Landon (Owen). The drama follows the unsettling events that prompt Lisey to face memories of her marriage to Scott that she has deliberately blocked out of her mind.

"Lisey's Story means a lot to me because it's the one I love best," King told reporters Friday. "It's a story about love and marriage and the creative impulse and it's also got a kickass villain in it, which I liked a lot."

King noted that the novel was inspired by his own experience coming home after being hospitalized with double pneumonia. Following a three-week hospitalization, King arrived as his wife decided to remodel his office. While still heavily medicated and trying to get back on his feet, he was stunned to find his office completely empty. "I thought, 'This is what this room would look like after I die,' and Lisey's Story came from that," he said.

While much of Lisey's Story was filmed before the pandemic forced productions across the globe to shut down, shooting was ultimately finished after many TV series returned to work. producers also noted that the pandemic makes a lot of the themes in Lisey's Story more relevant now than a year ago. "Themes of isolation, loneliness and how we view the past come through in a different way now," said Bad Robot head of television Ben Stephenson. Added King: "What gave me a chill was a scene where we see Lisey come into hospital room and she's wearing a mask. I thought, 'My God, this is what we're all doing now.'"

Lisey's Story marks the latest collaboration for Abrams and King, who previously teamed on Hulu's Castle Rock and 11.22.63. The duo met during Abrams' breakout, Lost, and have remained in touch in the years that followed. King also noted that he and Abrams have been discussing a horror anthology called Tiny Horrors. (Additional details on the project were not immediately available.)

"They've got a great organization and give great Christmas presents at the end of the year," King joked of his long-standing partnership with Abrams' Bad Robot banner. "I just love working with them. It's been a great relationship."

A specific premiere date for Lisey's Story has not yet been announced.

spideymanHedda GablerFlakeNoirNeesyGNTLGNT
  • This should be interesting! Steve will be on The Drew Barrymore Show on Wednesday.

LATER author Stephen King stops by to chat before TELL ME YOUR SECRETS series star Amy Brenneman joins Drew to dish on her new Amazon Prime series.
    NotaroKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda GablerNeesyMarsha
  • ....oh he will own that interview, hands down....be neat to have him reunited with the little Firestarter though....
    NotaroHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirMarsha
  • Makes one wonder how a King story, set in Covid times, would look like. We know Billy Summers isn't it since he set it in 2019 to avoid that complication. There would be differences but how would King use them to his advantage??
    NotaroNeesyHedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarsha
  • This should be interesting! Steve will be on The Drew Barrymore Show on Wednesday.

LATER author Stephen King stops by to chat before TELL ME YOUR SECRETS series star Amy Brenneman joins Drew to dish on her new Amazon Prime series.

Thanks for that heads-up! I will be sure to check it out

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshaNotaro
  • Kurben said:
    Makes one wonder how a King story, set in Covid times, would look like. We know Billy Summers isn't it since he set it in 2019 to avoid that complication. There would be differences but how would King use them to his advantage??

He is such a prolific writer I'm sure in the coming years we will find out <3
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNTMarshaNotaro
  • He'll also be on Good Morning America on Tuesday, March 2nd.
    FlakeNoirNeesyKurbenGNTLGNTHedda GablerMarshaNotaro
  • Kurben said:
    Makes one wonder how a King story, set in Covid times, would look like. We know Billy Summers isn't it since he set it in 2019 to avoid that complication. There would be differences but how would King use them to his advantage??
    ...The Stand should give you some idea......
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerMarshaNotaro
  • ....Steve has become such a natural with these bits.....as an interviewer, Drew is anything but natural.....she's flat ass goofy......
    KurbenFlakeNoirMarshaHedda GablerNeesy