Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• BWHAOEHAOHEOAHAHAHAHAA!  

Well obviously yes.  Anne Rice writes like ME.     :D :D :D :D :D
    And I'm sure she is very proud of it too. :)  
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • Okay, I used a part of my Halloween story, which is a totally different type of story than what I submitted the first time, and I STILL got Anne Rice.

Fascinating.  
    I used my last paragraph for another try and got... Raymond Chandler. :D 
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • edited July 2020
    It has to be targeted word choices they look at.  A crime story would have a certain vocabulary.  But, there are a lot of writers that are in the same ballpark as Agatha, so what pinpointed Agatha in that piece you submitted @BevVincent ?

But here's the thing too, we don't know how many authors they actually have in their database to choose from.  And how many from each genre of writing.

I'm guessing I was given Rice because of my use of Jesus and God throughout my story that tapped into her Christian writing.  
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • edited July 2020
    It has to be targeted word choices they look at.  A crime story would have a certain vocabulary.  But, there are a lot of writers that are in the same ballpark as Agatha, so what pinpointed Agatha in that piece you submitted?

But here's the thing too, we don't know how many authors they actually have in their database to chose from.  And how many from each genre of writing.

I'm guessing I was given Rice because of my use of Jesus and God throughout my story that tapped into her Christian writing.  
    I just used the Triple O/Nikki Sixx paragraph and got Stephen again. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotarospideymancat
  • edited July 2020
    FlakeNoir said:
    Okay, I used a part of my Halloween story, which is a totally different type of story than what I submitted the first time, and I STILL got Anne Rice.

Fascinating.  
    So, you are a chameleon in your writing.

This particular assignment was looking at your voice.  Neil said when we all start out, we write like authors we read until we find our own voice.  So, just an exercise in paying attention to developing your voice.

One of my assignments is to take a piece of writing, a paragraph or two,  from an author you admire.  Take it and write the same piece but in your voice.  How would you write it.  I haven't done it yet.

Also, another assignment was to send a few paragraphs to someone and have them give you 3 words about the writing. And ask them, did you hear my voice in that?

I sent my paragraphs to my son.  His 3 words for it were:  Homey, personal, vivid.

And he said that yes and no he could hear my voice.  He felt I was a much more light hearted talker in person than what this piece reflected. 

I wanted to say, of course! this is fiction.  

I typed in a couple paragraphs of Stephen King to see what he got.  Random paragraphs from Cujo.  He got.... Stephen King.   :D

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotarocat
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Okay, I used a part of my Halloween story, which is a totally different type of story than what I submitted the first time, and I STILL got Anne Rice.

Fascinating.  

This particular assignment was looking at your voice.  Neil said when we all start out, we write like authors we read until we find our own voice.  So, just an exercise in paying attention to developing your voice.

One of my assignments is to take a piece of writing, a paragraph or two,  from an author you admire.  Take it and write the same piece but in your voice.  How would you write it.  I haven't done it yet.

Also, another assignment was to send a few paragraphs to someone and have them give you 3 words about the writing. And ask them, did you hear my voice in that?

I sent my paragraphs to my son.  His 3 words for it were:  Homey, personal, vivid.

And he said that yes and no he could hear my voice.  He felt I was a much lighter hearted talker in person than what this piece reflected. 

I typed in a couple paragraphs of Stephen King to see what he got.  Random paragraphs from Cujo.  He got.... Stephen King.   :D

Yes a chameleon, because I don't have a voice. I really don't.
    (more proof, I just went a 4th time with my first paragraphs and got Arthur C Clarke :D )

I think this masterclass is going to really extend you, I'm so glad you're doing it. 
    GNTLGNTNotarocat
  • FlakeNoir said:
    FlakeNoir said:

Fascinating.  

And he said that yes and no he could hear my voice.  He felt I was a much lighter hearted talker in person than what this piece reflected. 

(more proof, I just went a 4th time with my first paragraphs and got Arthur C Clarke :D )

I think this masterclass is going to really extend you, I'm so glad you're doing it. 
    Okay, this makes me laugh!  You really are a shapeshifter!
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoircat
  • FlakeNoir said:
    FlakeNoir said:

Fascinating.  

Okay, this makes me laugh!  You really are a shapeshifter!
    Amazoncom BuildASign Shapeshifter Funny Novelty Transformer
    FlakeNoirHedda Gablercat
  • Okay, I put in my part of our Halloween story, The Graylands and got

Cory Doctorow.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • I have put in numerous different things and I bounce between Cory and Anne very consistently.  
    GNTLGNTcat
  • ....I just picked a random longer post I had written from the SKMB, and got Harry Harrison...s'ok...I like me some Stainless Steel Rat.....
    cat
  • Who in the hell is Harry Harrison?  What does he write?
    GNTLGNTcat
  • Who in the hell is Harry Harrison?  What does he write?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Harrison_(writer)
    catHedda Gabler
  • I used my most recent crime story. Big surprise:

Bev, according to this website, we are the reincarnation of Agatha Christie, who knew ... :)
    GNTLGNTBevVincentcat
  • edited July 2020
    I'm calling this I Write Like BS. I copied the first chapter of ASOIAF by the brillaint George R.R. Martin and the answer was, again, Agatha Christie. Yep, this Russian site is BS. Also, random question, @BevVincent, have you ever met George? :)
    GNTLGNT
  • I had to ask him to vacate the premises once! I had a panel at the World Horror Convention in Brighton and he was hanging around at the speaker table talking to people.
    That's funny.  I'm thinking most writers would want the hell outta there.  I love he just kept hanging around.
    He was after a ride home. :)
    GNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Holy Sh#t!!! I just tried it with a piece from our last story and I got Stephen King!  :o

Stephen King. Who's that? :) Wonder if Bev knows him. 
  • Also, random question, @BevVincent, have you ever met George? :)
    No, I never have.
    GNTLGNT
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Who in the hell is Harry Harrison?  What does he write?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Harrison_(writer)
    Okay, that's pretty cool.  Maybe they have a better database of authors than I thought.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Still working away on Neil's Masterclass.  One of my assignments yesterday was to take 5 books that you were not familiar with the writer's work, open the page to somewhere, and read a couple pages.  Then, just from what you read, you were to pick 3 things you liked about the writing and 3 things you didn't like.  

Which is all so very subjective to the individual, isn't it?  What's one man's adoration of a writing style is another's "this sucks" and variations on the theme in between.

One of the books I chose was our very own SKMB board member, skimom.   :)
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideymancat
  • edited July 2020
    Still working away on Neil's Masterclass.  One of my assignments yesterday was to take 5 books that you were not familiar with the writer's work, open the page to somewhere, and read a couple pages.  Then, just from what you read, you were to pick 3 things you liked about the writing and 3 things you didn't like.  

Which is all so very subjective to the individual, isn't it?  What's one man's adoration of a writing style is another's "this sucks" and variations on the theme in between.

He's a great writer as well. :)
    GNTLGNTspideymancat
  • Still working away on Neil's Masterclass.  One of my assignments yesterday was to take 5 books that you were not familiar with the writer's work, open the page to somewhere, and read a couple pages.  Then, just from what you read, you were to pick 3 things you liked about the writing and 3 things you didn't like.  

There is this guy called Bev Vincent as well, he's a great writer as well. :)
    Except he wouldn't fit into the brief, because DJ is very familiar with the writer's work. 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTspideymancat
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Still working away on Neil's Masterclass.  One of my assignments yesterday was to take 5 books that you were not familiar with the writer's work, open the page to somewhere, and read a couple pages.  Then, just from what you read, you were to pick 3 things you liked about the writing and 3 things you didn't like.  

There is this guy called Bev Vincent as well, he's a great writer as well. :)
    Except he wouldn't fit into the brief, because DJ is very familiar with the writer's work. 
    Yep.
    spideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Continuing to read David Sedaris' Theft by Finding.

I do not know how this man is still alive.

He falls into that group known as risk takers.  Scares the crap out of me.
    NotarospideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat