Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• Okay.  This is life or death here.  

I am going to venture to Barnes and Noble tomorrow, unless my son throws a ghastly fit and zipties me to the refrigerator.

I am going to buy:

The Unwilling -- Kelly Braffet
    On Writing -  20th edition -- Stephen King 
    A Lady In Waiting:  My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown -- Anne Glenconner
    Apropos of Nothing (get over it, I'm buying it.) Woody Allen
    Blowing the Bloody Doors Off -- Michael Caine

Play with me, suggest to me a book. Fiction, nonfiction.  Something I don't have to order from a specialty publisher.  

No romance (unless it just happens that some serial killer falls in love with the Starbucks barista).  

No zombie or werewolves.

A good book. Mystery, suspense, thriller, horror -- something that's going to grab me and hang on.  If I was to die next week, what current book would you recommend that I can purchase tomorrow at B & N?  What book would you send me out on? 

Hey! What's wrong with werewolves!? :)
    Not a thing.  It's just not my choice of reading material.
    There is a great writer called Gregg Hurwitz you should check out. 
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNT
  • Not sure if they'd be your cup of tea Hedda but I love these, have re-read them multiple times. 

David Nobbs:

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin  

The Return of Reginald Perrin

The Better World of Reginald Perrin

Dee Brown:

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee

Martin Noble:

Private Schulz
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Notaro said:
    Not sure if they'd be your cup of tea Hedda but I love these, have re-read them multiple times. 

David Nobbs:

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin  

The Return of Reginald Perrin

The Better World of Reginald Perrin

Dee Brown:

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee

Martin Noble:

Private Schulz
    I just read a little excerpt of this Reginald Perrin.  I'm going to try and get this first book in the series.  It looked interesting, I liked the language.

I own Bury My Heart, but have never gotten around to reading it.
    catGNTLGNTFlakeNoir

I am going to venture to Barnes and Noble tomorrow, unless my son throws a ghastly fit and zipties me to the refrigerator.

I am going to buy:

A Lady In Waiting:  My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown -- Anne Glenconner

Play with me, suggest to me a book. Fiction, nonfiction.  Something I don't have to order from a specialty publisher.  

No romance (unless it just happens that some serial killer falls in love with the Starbucks barista).  

No zombie or werewolves.

A good book. Mystery, suspense, thriller, horror -- something that's going to grab me and hang on.  If I was to die next week, what current book would you recommend that I can purchase tomorrow at B & N?  What book would you send me out on? 

The Ten Thousand Doors of January 

I am about 100 pages into The Unwilling and I like it so far. Characters took a minute to form in my head but only criticism so far. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerspideymanFlakeNoir

I am going to buy:

No zombie or werewolves.

The Institute. (I don't see why I should have to cry alone.)
    It's beautifully written, Deejers, it takes me back to his older works and honestly, he had me at: "Great events turn on small hinges." 
    catNotaroGNTLGNTHedda Gablerspideyman
  • ....I have nuttin' Deej from a contemporary standpoint that meets your criteria, because I'm into all the iconic horror stuff and then some, but one of my all time favorites-if you haven't already read it, is The Andromeda Strain by Crichton....and below, you will see an outfit I have assembled so that you might walk amongst the diseased and unclean....
    Hazmat GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

NotarocatHedda GablerspideymanFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....I have nuttin' Deej from a contemporary standpoint that meets your criteria, because I'm into all the iconic horror stuff and then some, but one of my all time favorites-if you haven't already read it, is The Andromeda Strain by Crichton....and below, you will see an outfit I have assembled so that you might walk amongst the diseased and unclean....

Are you a fan of Poe?
    GNTLGNT
  • GNTLGNT said:
    ....I have nuttin' Deej from a contemporary standpoint that meets your criteria, because I'm into all the iconic horror stuff and then some, but one of my all time favorites-if you haven't already read it, is The Andromeda Strain by Crichton....and below, you will see an outfit I have assembled so that you might walk amongst the diseased and unclean....

Andromeda Strain is also a decent movie. We watched it back in February when this pandemic was just getting rolling. It's dated, sure, with 70s tech, but the story still works well.
    Hedda GablerEdwardJohncatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:

Andromeda Strain is also a decent movie. We watched it back in February when this pandemic was just getting rolling. It's dated, sure, with 70s tech, but the story still works well.
    As is the other Crichton adaption, Westworld. Wish I could say the same about the TV series. 
    GNTLGNT
  • A newer horror novel I really liked is The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix. I just got The Only Good Indians in the mail the other day. It's been getting rave reviews. I'm planning to read it next, after I finish Misery.
    NotaroHedda GablercatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • edited July 2020
    As is the other Crichton adaption, Westworld. Wish I could say the same about the TV series. 
    Terminal Man was pretty good, as I recall, too. I did enjoy the TV series of Westworld, though.
    Hedda GablerNotarocatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir

I am going to buy:

No zombie or werewolves.

"Tonight I Said Goodbye" Michael Koryta
    Mystery, suspense, thriller, gtabs you and stays with you.
    catGNTLGNTFlakeNoirHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:

Are you a fan of Poe?
    ....indeed I am.....
    spideymanHedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:

....I remember dad and I watching it when it premiered, he and I shared a love of books-and it's a point of fond pride, that I turned him onto Steve's works.....
    FlakeNoirspideymanHedda Gabler
  • @Hedda Gabler
    What did you score at the B&N?  I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on The Unwilling.  I'm holding out for Thriftbooks for that and The Ten Thousand Doors of January.
    I just got a delivery from Thriftbooks:  2 new Michael Koryta books -  So Cold the River & Last Words, I also got Storm of the Century DVD (I have never seen this and Srbo & skimom2 say it's fantastic).  The books are huge.  

I've been doing a lot of Kindle reading.  Amazon Prime has an Amazon Original Stories selection- I've worked my way through them.  Each collection has 5/6 or so stories based on a theme:  Missing/Warmer/Exposure/Disorder and others.  I love short stories, I love randomness of thought, so it's been a cave of wonders for me.  I definitely recommend them.  I can "borrow" 10 books from Amazon somehow.  Is this just a Prime perk?  I'm still learning my Kindle's secrets.  I got it for Christmas and just recently started reading on it.  I've been playing solitaire on it for months though.
    NotaroFlakeNoircatspideymanGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • @Hedda Gabler
    What did you score at the B&N?  I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on The Unwilling.  I'm holding out for Thriftbooks for that and The Ten Thousand Doors of January.
    I just got a delivery from Thriftbooks:  2 new Michael Koryta books -  So Cold the River & Last Words, I also got Storm of the Century DVD (I have never seen this and Srbo & skimom2 say it's fantastic).  The books are huge.  

I've been doing a lot of Kindle reading.  Amazon Prime has an Amazon Original Stories selection- I've worked my way through them.  Each collection has 5/6 or so stories based on a theme:  Missing/Warmer/Exposure/Disorder and others.  I love short stories, I love randomness of thought, so it's been a cave of wonders for me.  I definitely recommend them.  I can "borrow" 10 books from Amazon somehow.  Is this just a Prime perk?  I'm still learning my Kindle's secrets.  I got it for Christmas and just recently started reading on it.  I've been playing solitaire on it for months though.
    The two Koryta books are fantastic. He has a way with words. 
    Unwilling  is excellent. Take your time and get to understand the characters.
    NotarocatGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirHollyGolightly
  • Koryta is a good friend of mine, and a helluva writer. I am in awe of how much he's done--and he's so young!
    catHedda GablerspideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHollyGolightly
  • edited July 2020
    I'm writing all these suggestions down, thank you everyone.  My trip to B & N got put on the back burner.  I received a most wonderful surprise the other night.  Out of the blue, I got the gift of Neil Gaiman's Masterclass. I was so tickled!  So, I printed out the work book, I'm watching classes and I'll be working on the assignments.

We're all writers.    Anyone who picks up a pen or types something on their computer are writers.  But we aren't all storytellers in the writing sense.  We can chat up a story, but creating one for the page is different.

I've tried to write stuff that would make a wonderful story that a group of someones would really enjoy reading.  And while trying, I  sometimes can have this beautiful sentence.  This amazing sentence.  And it's so good, I think, did I write that sentence? Does that belong to me?  Or did I pick that up from someone else along the way?  And it's great to know that, no, I wrote that sentence.  I just can't string enough of them together to create storytelling. 

Any story world I've ever tried to create has never been polished and finished.  Everything is so rough draft.  Horrible things that might have a seed of something, but I can't quite find it because of the ridiculous weeds I seem to plant around it.

But, I must say, I am enjoyng this Masterclass.  And it might spur me on to do Margaret Atwood's class, David Sedaris, Joyce Carol Oates, David Baldacci. 

Before I die, I would like to write something that I can be really proud of.
    catspideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I'm writing all these suggestions down, thank you everyone.  My trip to B & N got put on the back burner.  I received a most wonderful surprise the other night.  Out of the blue, I got the gift of Neil Gaiman's Masterclass. I was so tickled!  So, I printed out the work book, I'm watching classes and I'll be working on the assignments.

We're all writers.    Anyone who picks up a pen or types something on their computer are writers.  But we aren't all storytellers in the writing sense.  We can chat up a story, but creating one for the page is different.

I've tried to write stuff that would make a wonderful story that a group of someones would really enjoy reading.  And while trying, I  sometimes can have this beautiful sentence.  This amazing sentence.  And it's so good, I think, did I write that sentence? Does that belong to me?  Or did I pick that up from someone else along the way?  And it's great to know that, no, I wrote that sentence.  I just can't string enough of them together to create storytelling. 

Any story world I've ever tried to create has never been polished and finished.  Everything is so rough draft.  Horrible things that might have a seed of something, but I can't quite find it because of the ridiculous weeds I seem to plant around it.

But, I must say, I am enjoyng this Masterclass.  And it might spur me on to do Margaret Atwood's class, David Sedaris, Joyce Carol Oates, David Baldacci. 

Neil Gaiman lives on the same island as my friend. Random fact for you. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • edited July 2020
    I love Neil.  I would love to run into him out in the wild. I wouldn't say a thing, but he would know I know who he is.  The spazzing would give me away.

He says something in this class that I love.  And we've all bought into it. We've all joked about it.    

Like all authors, he is asked "where do you get your ideas?"  And he said most authors sort of answer that making fun of the person who asked it.  "Oh, I got it at the idea store" or whatever flippant answer they give. 

He said, he doesn't do that anymore because he believes it is the MOST important question to be asked.  Sometimes they know where they get an idea and sometimes they don't.  And it's a valid question.

He also doesn't believe in the "show, don't tell" idea.

And did you know, in comic book writing, you never put a major plot point, or a big reveal on a right hand page?

He is a class act.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • edited July 2020
    I had to ask him to vacate the premises once! I had a panel at the World Horror Convention in Brighton and he was hanging around at the speaker table talking to people.
    EdwardJohnFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • I had to ask him to vacate the premises once! I had a panel at the World Horror Convention in Brighton and he was hanging around at the speaker table talking to people.
    Brighton, England? 
    FlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • I love Neil.  I would love to run into him out in the wild. I wouldn't say a thing, but he would know I know who he is.  The spazzing would give me away.

He says something in this class that I love.  And we've all bought into it. We've all joked about it.    

Like all authors, he is asked "where do you get your ideas?"  And he said most authors sort of answer that making fun of the person who asked it.  "Oh, I got it at the idea store" or whatever flippant answer they give. 

He said, he doesn't do that anymore because he believes it is the MOST important question to be asked.  Sometimes they know where they get an idea and sometimes they don't.  And it's a valid question.

He also doesn't believe in the "show, don't tell" idea.

And did you know, in comic book writing, you never put a major plot point, or a big reveal on a right hand page?

He is a class act.

Neil definately had that English humor. :)
    FlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Brighton, England? 
    Yes. In 2010, I believe.
    FlakeNoirspideymanEdwardJohnGNTLGNTcat
  • I'm writing all these suggestions down, thank you everyone.  My trip to B & N got put on the back burner.  I received a most wonderful surprise the other night.  Out of the blue, I got the gift of Neil Gaiman's Masterclass. I was so tickled!  So, I printed out the work book, I'm watching classes and I'll be working on the assignments.

....again, you sell yourself short.....it may not be novel length, but everything that you have written evokes emotion, which is the hallmark of a great writer.....
    FlakeNoirspideymancat