Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

I just started Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts.

There seems to be a hit or miss with this one. Anyone read it? Thoughts?

I have to say, I love a good description and he starts off with:

"She carefully attempts to keep to the uneven walkway.  The slate stones have pitched up, their edges peeking out of the ground, and they wiggle under her feet like loose baby teeth."

And he describes the buttons on a beige wool jacket as "large as kitten heads."

I hope the story is as good as his description.  

Comments

• Ah, I see it "scared the hell" out of you Bev.  I hope it does me too.
  • Oops, I should have posted what I'm currently reading in here. I'm sorry @BevVincent , please feel free to move those posts (from the "Books read in 2020" thread) here if you'd prefer. 
  • I think if you are commenting to his reading list, it's okay where it's at?  That's a guess on my part.
  • This is fine for your reading lists.
  • Bev, are any of your stories in Cemetery Dance Magazine?   I have a bunch of those boxed up and will break them out to read if you do.
  • Yes:

"Harming Obsession" in issue 39, 2002
    "Special Delivery" in issue 51, 2005
  • dang. I started getting them in 2008.  I don't think I have any of the earlier ones.

Thanks for the info.
  • ...the new Dean Koontz....
    ....yeah, yeah...it DOES have a  preternaturally gifted Golden Retriever but NO bougainvillea....this tale walks along similar paths as his Jane Hawk series from the standpoint of "becoming" but it has kept my jaded attention and is a good quick read....
  • Oops, I should have posted what I'm currently reading in here. I'm sorry @BevVincent , please feel free to move those posts (from the "Books read in 2020" thread) here if you'd prefer. 
  • ....enjoying the hell out of Steve's newest!!.....
  • In between books right now. Just read The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E Harrow and loved it so much, I have not wanted to let it go yet to start a new book. But think I will this weekend. Not sure what that will be yet. Something not too long, maybe, so I am ready to start If It Bleeds. But Tuesday will be here fast! So maybe I'm better off just waiting.  :)
  • cat said:
    In between books right now. Just read The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E Harrow and loved it so much, I have not wanted to let it go yet to start a new book. But think I will this weekend. Not sure what that will be yet. Something not too long, maybe, so I am ready to start If It Bleeds. But Tuesday will be here fast! So maybe I'm better off just waiting.  :)
    ....grab a coupla comics outta the drugstore rack....oh wait, that's MY childhood, double damn I'm creaky and withered away..... :p
  • GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
    In between books right now. Just read The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E Harrow and loved it so much, I have not wanted to let it go yet to start a new book. But think I will this weekend. Not sure what that will be yet. Something not too long, maybe, so I am ready to start If It Bleeds. But Tuesday will be here fast! So maybe I'm better off just waiting.  :)
    ....grab a coupla comics outta the drugstore rack....oh wait, that's MY childhood, double damn I'm creaky and withered away..... :p
     :D  I have a few short story collections I could pick from to dig into. That would be easy enough to set aside, come Tuesday. 
  • cat said:
    This Ten Thousand doors thing sounds so intriguing.  Is this a new release or old?  I need to investigate.  Maybe when I do my grocery run for Stephen's book, this might be there?  Is it a bestseller where I might have a chance to find it?
  • I have so many books going, I have to stop.  I'm not giving the author or their story the attention they deserve because I'm multi-tasking multiple books!

So, I have gone back to a book I started a while back, and, it had been so long since I started it, I am having to restart it because I couldn't remember characters when I picked up where I left off.

Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman
  • cat said:
    This Ten Thousand doors thing sounds so intriguing.  Is this a new release or old?  I need to investigate.  Maybe when I do my grocery run for Stephen's book, this might be there?  Is it a bestseller where I might have a chance to find it?
    It is a fairly new release, September of last year. It is not out in paperback yet, I don't think. It has 4 1/2 stars out of 5 in the reviews at Amazon. And in a book group on fb, I have seen several people give it good reviews. 
  • cat said:
    cat said:
    It is a fairly new release, September of last year. It is not out in paperback yet, I don't think. It has 4 1/2 stars out of 5 in the reviews at Amazon. And in a book group on fb, I have seen several people give it good reviews. 
    I'll keep you posted if I can find it.  I'm going to do my grocery shopping Thursday, give my store a couple days to stock in stephen's book.  I think the fact Ten Thousand was a last year book and not paperback yet, probably won't have that.  But again, I'm going to try to do the Amazon Mac Kindle thing here soon.
  • cat said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
     :D  I have a few short story collections I could pick from to dig into. That would be easy enough to set aside, come Tuesday. 
    ....that' exactly how I fill in!.....that way you don't feel guilty leaving something undone.....
    Hedda Gabler
  • cat said:
    cat said:
    I'll keep you posted if I can find it.  I'm going to do my grocery shopping Thursday, give my store a couple days to stock in stephen's book.  I think the fact Ten Thousand was a last year book and not paperback yet, probably won't have that.  But again, I'm going to try to do the Amazon Mac Kindle thing here soon.
    Just get yourself a new kindle! I have the paperwhite for reading and it is fabulous. Non glare screen, I can read outside with it. Built in light so I can read in bed with it. I love mine. I also have a fire that I use from time to time but it is no good for reading outside with. It is more of a tablet, like an iPad. 

I have a hard time reading on a computer, but that's just me. 
    Hedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
    ....that' exactly how I fill in!.....that way you don't feel guilty leaving something undone.....
    Yeppers!
    Hedda Gabler
  • I want to get a book called Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown by Anne Glenconner.  

I saw her on the Graham Norton show and it sounds like a doozy of a fun ride.  The story she told from the book was crazy hilarious and shocking!  It made me think, if she's going to reveal that as the enticer to buy the book, what else is in the book??? Because you don't give away your best story!  

Or I would think not anyway.  Or, maybe you do.  Get people to buy the book and the rest is boring as hell.  

Whatever.  I want to read it.
    catGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I'll second Cat's recommendation for The Ten Thousand Doors of January. 
    Hedda GablercatGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
    Yeppers!
    Can I ask you how much that costs?  And do you think it was worth it?  What all can it do? Can it surf the web and have books?  Music? Movies?

I need to break down and buy a new one. My other one is just a dinosaur.
    GNTLGNTcat
  • cat said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    cat said:
    Yeppers!
    Can I ask you how much that costs?  And do you think it was worth it?  What all can it do? Can it surf the web and have books?  Music? Movies?

I need to break down and buy a new one. My other one is just a dinosaur.
    The basic kindle starts at $90.00. They now have a built in light, which is awesome. This one has the non reflective screen, so it is great to read outside with, as well as inside.

The paperwhite is what I have. They start at $130.00. I opted for this one over the basic model because it has a backlit screen, which is awesome for reading in bed, no lamp needed that will disturb hubby. But the newest model of the basic now has a built in light as well. 

They have the Oasis too, which looks awesome, it is the most expensive. I think it starts at 289. 

You can get online with any of those but it is clunky. (Going off my paperwhite) But if all you're doing is ordering a new book, that function and the store function work well. On the paperwhite, which is what I have. I believe there is audio too, for audiobooks, but not sure which models. 

Then the kindle fires, which are the tablet versions. They have several different models and price points. Main difference between these and the first ones I mentioned is the screen. The fire screen is reflective and no good for outside use. It does surf the web and have audible on it, you can do pretty much anything with these as any other tablet PC these days. Watch tv, read, surf. I also have a basic fire, but it does not get used nearly as often as my paperwhite. I do read on it from time to time but again, only inside. Screen is too reflective for outside use. 

So it really depends on what you want to do, if you want one only for reading I would go with one of the first 3. If you want a tablet, go with the fire. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • Oh, and I definitely think it was worth it. I usually have a hard copy book plus one on the kindle going at the same time, so I can read in bed without disturbing Scott with a light.  And it goes everywhere with me. They are all light and easy to hold. I do have a cover on mine, that helps with the illusion of reading an actual book. Which was hard for me at first. Now I can get just as lost in a story on kindle as a real book. I love mine. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoir