Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?

Comments

• exactly.
    ....I'm kind of the same way.....will start out all organized and crap, then start having "but first" moments......
    FlakeNoircat
  • spideyman said:
    Taking a break from serious reading. Found several series of what is called "cozy mysteries". Cute books that are quick reads with a mystery to solve in each. 
    Who's the author(s)?  Maybe I need something like this to kick start my reading.
    Started with Kathi Daley-  The Inn At Holiday Bay series (10 books). Next set was her Tess and Tilly (9 books). Presently reading a 5 book series by Shelly West- Whodunit Antiques Mysteries.
    There is a continuing theme throughout the series, but each is a stand alone.

Doing the one month free Unlimited on Kindle. They are quick and mindless reads. You solve a mystery/ murder in each. No horror/no blood and guts.   A book can easily be read in a night or two. Just needed a break form heavy stuff.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablercatGNTLGNT
  • spideyman said:
    spideyman said:
    Taking a break from serious reading. Found several series of what is called "cozy mysteries". Cute books that are quick reads with a mystery to solve in each. 
    Who's the author(s)?  Maybe I need something like this to kick start my reading.
    Started with Kathi Daley-  The Inn At Holiday Bay series (10 books). Next set was her Tess and Tilly (9 books). Presently reading a 5 book series by Shelly West- Whodunit Antiques Mysteries.
    There is a continuing theme throughout the series, but each is a stand alone.

Doing the one month free Unlimited on Kindle. They are quick and mindless reads. You solve a mystery/ murder in each. No horror/no blood and guts.   A book can easily be read in a night or two. Just needed a break form heavy stuff.
    Thanks, I'll try and check these out if I can get out of my funk.

And I totally understand. Mindless reading away from the heavy stuff is good.
    catNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoirspideyman
  • I finished The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters yesterday. It had a frustrating ending, where it could be taken one of two ways. Has anyone read it? 

I really enjoyed it, the first half had some scary moments but was more atmospheric. The second half had some really great scenes, where my heart was pounding. 

I have the movie recorded, will watch it soon to compare. 
    NotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideyman
  • edited July 2020
    cat said:
    I finished The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters yesterday. It had a frustrating ending, where it could be taken one of two ways. Has anyone read it? 

I really enjoyed it, the first half had some scary moments but was more atmospheric. The second half had some really great scenes, where my heart was pounding. 

I have the movie recorded, will watch it soon to compare. 
    I saw the movie cat.  They call it a gothic horror but I wouldn't classify it as that.  I looked at it more as gothic unease.  I said this over at the SKMB when I saw it, but shockingly I didn't blab anymore about it.

It was a strange film as I remember.  Obviously not something that stuck with me because I can't even remember how it ended.

Definitely come back when you see the movie and let us know what your thoughts about the two are.
    GNTLGNTcatFlakeNoirspideyman
  • Is that the film set in the 1940's where a doctor integrates himself into the family living in an old mansion?
    catFlakeNoirGNTLGNTspideyman
  • It wasn't bad, just weird. Never read the book so can't compare.
    catFlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablerspideyman
  • I finished the Longmire book I set aside last month for our Four Past Midnight reread. It kind of ended on a little cliffhanger, so anxious to start the next one. 

But, also had the new Chet and Bernie book delivered Tues, I preordered it and forgot! So started it instead. Love Chet and Bernie. About halfway through it already. 
    Hedda GablerNotarospideymanFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    I finished the Longmire book I set aside last month for our Four Past Midnight reread. It kind of ended on a little cliffhanger, so anxious to start the next one. 

But, also had the new Chet and Bernie book delivered Tues, I preordered it and forgot! So started it instead. Love Chet and Bernie. About halfway through it already. 
    Absolutely love the Chet and Bernie series- On chapter 11. Must keep reading!!
    catHedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • I'm currently reading The Institute, this is soooo good! It's also awful, so far.
    Stephen, Stephen, Stephen... [shaking head] sigh.
    NotarospideymanHedda GablercatGNTLGNT
  • Currently reading The Eyes of the Dragon. Not really my kind of story, but it's been better than I anticipated.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Grant87 said:
    Currently reading The Eyes of the Dragon. Not really my kind of story, but it's been better than I anticipated.
    Marsha got her start with Steve by typing the manuscript. :)
    catGrant87GNTLGNT
  • Finished Of Mutts and Men this morning. Another great story! 

I know Chet is black with the one white, floppy ear but in my mind he is a Golden Retriever. It always throws me off when his picture is on the cover. 😆 I don't know why my mind insists he is a Golden Retriever but it does! 

Next up I think is The Unwilling by Kelly Braffet. 
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    Finished Of Mutts and Men this morning. Another great story! 

I know Chet is black with the one white, floppy ear but in my mind he is a Golden Retriever. It always throws me off when his picture is on the cover. 😆 I don't know why my mind insists he is a Golden Retriever but it does! 

I want The Unwilling so bad.  I really like Kelly's writing so I hope it's a good one.  Please let me know your thoughts.
    catFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    Finished Of Mutts and Men this morning. Another great story! 

I want The Unwilling so bad.  I really like Kelly's writing so I hope it's a good one.  Please let me know your thoughts.
    I will! This will be my first book of hers that I have read. I have one other on my kindle, but haven't gotten around to it yet. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNT
  • edited July 2020
    I am listening to the audio of Deceit and Other Possibilities by Vanessa Hua.

I got it free in exchange for a "review."  Which I don't like to call what I do reviews.  That's actually pretty insulting to professional reviewers.  There is a definite skill to reviewing.  They are thoughtful researchers who try to stay in the world of positive feedback.  

I do believe I could do a more professional review if I tried really hard, but it wouldn't be as much fun.  I just give my thoughts that are unique to me.  I can be quick or I can harp on something for far too long.  And that's the way, uh huh uh huh, I like it, uh huh, uh huh.
    spideymancatGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Theft By Finding -- David Sedaris
    FlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Theft By Finding -- David Sedaris
    Are you going to have to return a bunch of stuff after reading this one? :D 
    spideymanGNTLGNTcat
  • Currently reading....

FlakeNoirspideymanGNTLGNTHedda GablerOut of Ordercat
  • Does anyone else hate it when you buy a new book and it is so bad that you just stop? Just happened to me. 
    GNTLGNTspideyman
  • Finished up The Eyes of the Dragon last night. Starting Misery today.
    GNTLGNTNotaroHedda Gablercat
  • Okay.  This is life or death here.  

I am going to venture to Barnes and Noble tomorrow, unless my son throws a ghastly fit and zipties me to the refrigerator.

I am going to buy:

The Unwilling -- Kelly Braffet
    On Writing -  20th edition -- Stephen King 
    A Lady In Waiting:  My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown -- Anne Glenconner
    Apropos of Nothing (get over it, I'm buying it.) Woody Allen
    Blowing the Bloody Doors Off -- Michael Caine

Play with me, suggest to me a book. Fiction, nonfiction.  Something I don't have to order from a specialty publisher.  

No romance (unless it just happens that some serial killer falls in love with the Starbucks barista).  

No zombie or werewolves.

A good book. Mystery, suspense, thriller, horror -- something that's going to grab me and hang on.  If I was to die next week, what current book would you recommend that I can purchase tomorrow at B & N?  What book would you send me out on? 

catFlakeNoirGNTLGNT

I am going to venture to Barnes and Noble tomorrow, unless my son throws a ghastly fit and zipties me to the refrigerator.

I am going to buy:

A Lady In Waiting:  My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown -- Anne Glenconner

Play with me, suggest to me a book. Fiction, nonfiction.  Something I don't have to order from a specialty publisher.  

No romance (unless it just happens that some serial killer falls in love with the Starbucks barista).  

No zombie or werewolves.

A good book. Mystery, suspense, thriller, horror -- something that's going to grab me and hang on.  If I was to die next week, what current book would you recommend that I can purchase tomorrow at B & N?  What book would you send me out on? 

Hey! What's wrong with werewolves!? :)
    catGNTLGNT

I am going to buy:

No zombie or werewolves.

Hey! What's wrong with werewolves!? :)
    Not a thing.  It's just not my choice of reading material.
    catGNTLGNT