Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

October '04

Comments

• Yep - great pictures! Congrats!
  • Yep, the very first. #2 is on Sunday afternoon in Portland, Maine.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Yep, the very first. #2 is on Sunday afternoon in Portland, Maine.
    To me it appears that you couldn't have asked for a better first signing. :)
  • Belated congrats! It looks like you had a great time.

Hope you have a similar success in Portland. Any chance of a signing in CA? ;)

HBJ
  • Awesomew first signing - and HAVE FUN in Maine!
  • Hunchback Jack wrote: Belated congrats! It looks like you had a great time.

Hope you have a similar success in Portland. Any chance of a signing in CA? ;)

Never say never. If I go out for the screening of Gotham Cafe, I'll be sure to set something up, but that won't be for a while.
  • Awesome pix Bev, you look happy and relaxed. All the best in Portland on Sunday.

Lin :)
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Never say never. If I go out for the screening of Gotham Cafe, I'll be sure to set something up, but that won't be for a while.

:o That would be awesome!

HBJ
  • Here is the article about companion books for which I was interviewed by the guy from San Luis Obispo in the middle of an earthquake!
  • Wishing you a great signing in Portland today Bev! :)

Lin
  • Yes Bev, good luck today and have fun... hopefully it's just as exciting and rewarding as the first one. ;D
  • Have fun at the signing, Bev :)
  • Thanks -- I'll write up a report later on today when I get caught up. I had some surprise guests, including an author from Maine and his wife, who is also a writer...
  • Very cool - can not wait to read about it. BTW this writer would not be a Red Sox fan too, by any chance?
  • Very cool indeed.  I look forward to hearing all abou this special signing!

I was in my local Borders (Northern VA) and hunted down your book Bev.  Six copies buried in the mass of King paperbacks.  There was a huge Stepohen King display for DT VII as you walk into the store and I was hoping to see copies of tRttDT right there, but NO  - I had to go searching - not even near the DT VII copies back in the stacks either.    I didn't buy it as I am waiting for my signed copy from CD!  But I am anxious to start reading it! It does have a cool cover with the "door" slightly raised!

I did see the GWLTG PopUp (next to the DT VII display, but you couldn't check it out as it was sort of shrinkwrapped! Actually it was loosely wrapped in a plastic type wrap.  I must say it is a thick book!  I didn't buy it because my wife said she ahs a $20 off card for Borders sitting at home on the kitchen counter.  Will have to make a trip back to get it!
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: Very cool - can not wait to read about it. BTW this writer would not be a Red Sox fan too, by any chance?

A die-hard Red Sox fan who wasn't terribly pleased about their performance the night before.
  • CRinVA wrote:

I was in my local Borders (Northern VA) and hunted down your book Bev.  Six copies buried in the mass of King paperbacks.  There was a huge Stepohen King display for DT VII as you walk into the store and I was hoping to see copies of tRttDT right there, but NO  - I had to go searching - not even near the DT VII copies back in the stacks either.    I didn't buy it as I am waiting for my signed copy from CD!  But I am anxious to start reading it! It does have a cool cover with the "door" slightly raised!

I did see the GWLTG PopUp (next to the DT VII display, but you couldn't check it out as it was sort of shrinkwrapped! Actually it was loosely wrapped in a plastic type wrap.  I must say it is a thick book!  I didn't buy it because my wife said she ahs a $20 off card for Borders sitting at home on the kitchen counter.  Will have to make a trip back to get it!

I saw TGWLTG in Borders in Portland. They had one copy unwrapped so I was able to browse through it and will probably pick up a copy so I can explore it at my leisure. I, too, was surprised at how thick it was!

I found two copies of ROAD in the bookstore in the Newark airport yesterday! Listed under V in fiction, but there they were. I moved the discretely to the K section...
  • A die-hard Red Sox fan who wasn't terribly pleased about their performance the night before.

Who would be - that was brutal.

BTW if you are keeping track of the categories your book is being shelved on,  I found my copy on a table marked Religion & Philosophy.
  • Well, there certainly is an element of philosophy in it! Most often I'm finding it in Fiction-V

Here are my pics from yesterday.
  • Looks like a great day for all - wish I coulda been there!
  • Today I received the bookplates to sign for the Overlook Connection bookstore.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

A die-hard Red Sox fan who wasn't terribly pleased about their performance the night before.

:) Bev, the pix are great and I'm glad everything went well for you.

One thing I did think was really cute when they interviewed Stephen King at the game, NOT that you are referring to him of course ;), and I forgot to mention in my sports thread is he said something to the effect "in my world Tom Gordon always plays for the Red Sox". :)

Lin
  • When asked if he were writing about this particular game what would he write, King said I'd write that there was a 9 run rally in the bottom of the 9th and Boston won on an Ortiz walk off homer!

Wrong game but a game later Ortiz did wiin with a walk off homer! :o
  • This weekend was my first "away game," a signing in foreign territory. Venturing into terra incognita.

I flew into Portland, Maine on Saturday morning. I've probably been in the city before, but not that I could remember. I promptly set off in the wrong direction, but eventually made my way into the downtown area where my Sunday signing would be held. Getting the lay of the land, so I'd no where I was going when timing was of the essence. My signing was at 1:30 Sunday afternoon and my flight at 5:00 so timing was fairly important, especially to someone who is as compulsively addicted to time as I am.

After that, a leisurely afternoon drive through Western Maine. I took the 302 highway north through Naples, Bridgeton, across to Fryeburg and then caught 5 up to Lovell and Stoneham. The autumn colors were spectacular. Progress was slow. The average speed on one of these roads is about 35 mph. Threw my mental calculations all the heck and back again. I'm used to high speeds, where a mile a minute is a tad on the slow side. Taking an hour to go a little over thirty miles...well, it was an experience. I was glad to have had it, though, because it allowed temporally obsessed me to get to my signing on time the following afternoon! If some of those place names above seem familiar to you, they should.

I was supposed to meet up with a group attending Palavercon 0 for supper at the Maine Mall, but got a call that it was postponed until 7:45, so I killed time wandering around town and haunting Borders. Found a comfy chair and finished reading Poppy Z Brite's Liquor, which I'd left at home since I had so little of it remaining to read. Saw four copies of Road, all appropriately positioned either with the King books or on an end-of-the-row Dark Tower display.

Supper was a bit of a random thing, with people coming and going at all hours. We had appetizers while we waited for a couple of people to arrive from the cabin rented for the event and then a few other people had to leave to pick up someone else at the airport. We closed the place down and drove the 30 miles to Naples. I followed Michaela from Donald M. Grant since I didn't know where the turnoff to the cabin was--an adventure since we took several wrong turns and had to regroup a few times!

Seven or eight of us spent the night in the cabin, which was on the shore of Sebago Lake. Nice place...we stayed out on the patio drinking beer until the wee hours, then retired indoors. It was a little bit on the chilly side--which makes Houston seem all the more hot and humid--but refreshing.

Surprisingly, we were all up by nine o'clock or so. Josh and Michaela made pancakes. I left the cabin at noon while some of the others were still getting showered. It took me until 1:15 to reach Books, Etc. so I had a reasonably good idea that the others wouldn't make it on time. I was right.

First I met up with a couple of friends who used to live near us here in The Woodlands. My wife remembered they had moved to Portland, so I sent them a postcard announcing the signing. Then, much to my delight, authors Rick Hautala and Holly Newstein sauntered in. Holly has a story in From the Borderlands and Rick is sometimes referred to as "the other horror author from Maine." They're lovely people and I was touched that they would make the trek to see me. Artist Glenn Chadbourne and his wife appeared shortly thereafter--Glenn is the illustrator behind The Illustrated Stephen King Trivia Book and a breath of fresh air. We were admiring some of his work from the page proofs of the trivia book when I said that I'd love to see him work some day to see how he does all that intricate detail. His wife said, "If you want to do that, you're going to have to see him in his underwear!"

I talked a little about the book, fielded some questions, read my story "Special Delivery" and then my cabin mates showed up! Signed about 15-20 copies for people and then the remaining stack of store copies, another 10 or 12 or so.

A little bit of synchronicity. I have tons of bookmarks; I rarely pay attention to what's on them. On the flight to Portland, I realized that the large purple thing sticking out of my copy of Scott Nicholson's The Manor was for Books, Etc.--the same name as the place where my signing would be held, except this one is in the UK.
  • Sounds like fun and successful - nice to have some other writers show up! What I've seen so far of Chadbourne's I really like! Can't wait to get the Ilustrated Trivia book from CD.