Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

October '04

124»

Comments

• Then, much to my delight, authors Rick Hautala and Holly Newstein sauntered in.

You tricky devil...you were leading us to believe that Steve and Tabby showed up. Rick and Holly are just as fun people to hang out with though.

See you next weekend, Bev!
  • Weekend after next, I think...
  • Weekend after next, I think...

Opps, you are correct. THIS weekend I'm meeting up with a group of Portland (Ore.) horror writers, some of which I've never met before. Two fun filled weekends in a row! I better get my ticket to Phoenix fast! (I always wait until the last minute...)
  • Why would someone bid more than cover price for the book? I don't understand!

I went into our local Borders store last night. They had six copies of ROAD in the King section. I wandered around until I found an employee (they were scarce) and asked if they would mind if I signed their copies. She had to call another employee, who took about five minutes to get there. That employee gave me the card of someone who wasn't on-shift at the time to call to get permission. Sheeesh. Try to do them a favor and it turns into a big hassle. Forget that!
  • What a hassle, Bev... ::)

• No good deed goes unpunished....
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Why would someone bid more than cover price for the book? I don't understand!

I went into our local Borders store last night. They had six copies of ROAD in the King section. I wandered around until I found an employee (they were scarce) and asked if they would mind if I signed their copies. She had to call another employee, who took about five minutes to get there. That employee gave me the card of someone who wasn't on-shift at the time to call to get permission. Sheeesh. Try to do them a favor and it turns into a big hassle. Forget that!

Ah, the trials of the almost rich and famous. :) Why couldn't you have come to our Chapters and done that? I was there with a camera and everything!

Lin
  • Bev_Vincent wrote: Why would someone bid more than cover price for the book? I don't understand!

I think WC Fields had it right - there's a sucker born every minute! ...and they all have ebay accounts! ;D
  • Bev, that signing incident was crazy. Did they think that maybe you weren't Bev Vincent? Or that people would prefer not to buy a signed copy?

HBJ,

bewildered.
  • Hunchback Jack wrote: Bev, that signing incident was crazy. Did they think that maybe you weren't Bev Vincent? Or that people would prefer not to buy a signed copy?

I think they were just minions who didn't want to overstep the bounds of their authority--or lack thereof. The situation had probably never come up for them before and they didn't know what to do.
  • Bev_Vincent wrote:

I think they were just minions who didn't want to overstep the bounds of their authority--or lack thereof. The situation had probably never come up for them before and they didn't know what to do.

They could have turned this lack of knowledge around had they been inventive enough and got the store manager a signed copy as a gift from the staff. Then the manager could have wrung you up and arranged another signing :)

• DTUK wrote: They could have turned this lack of knowledge around had they been inventive enough and got the store manager a signed copy as a gift from the staff.
    I would agree, though, that when you're a retail peon, it's not usually worth your while to be "inventive" and the like.

If it backfires in your face—i.e., the person wanting to sign books isn't the person they claim to be, or there's some sort of corporate rule against it—it's most likely the peon who is S.O.L.

Reminds me how much I don't miss being a retail peon :)
  • Retail is fun when it comes to things like this - there is an old adage here:

"It's always someone else's idea - always someone else's fault."  ;)

Edited to say: where I work we are told to be as inventive as possible within our departments and if something can arrange great publicity for the store, then everyone is happy and you get a pat on the back from your manager :)

If things go awry - then it was someone else's idea, and in particular mix and match two manager's that don't like each other...they'd never collaborate or believe each other anyway ;)

I think diplomacy should be a prerequisite when working in retail.