Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

New column

Comments

• Thanks, Lilja, but that's not the one I was talking about. This one's about books.
  • Yeah, I've been looking for it online but not finding it. I photocopied it from the library a couple of days ago.
  • OK, so this is a new one? In what issue was it published?

Lilja
  • June 2nd.
  • Wow - he praises Robert Charles Wilson - a highly overlooked SF writer and one of my favourites.

King gets Wilson bang on. Wilson is an amazing writer period. That he chooses to work in SF is a bonus in my opinion. If you love horror that leaves the final determination of whether or not supernatural elements are at work ie Graham Joyce, you will easily enjoy Wilson's writing style. Wilson writes about ordinary people and how they react to extraordinary events.

His last book Spin is excellent. A sequel is forthcoming BTW.
  • There's another new SK column in EW's June 16 issue. It's called "Ready or Not" and is about the film "United 93" and related issues. It doesn't appear to be online yet.
  • King has a new column with the title The Princess and the Paparazzi in the latest issue of Entertainment Weekly (July 14, #886 issue).

Lilja
  • Cute article! ;D
  • SK has apparently chosen to respond to Dalton Ross's column of last week. Link below; scroll to the bottom.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1221892_1_0_,00.html
  • The affair began two weeks ago, when I wrote about the fact that I had never even met my fellow EW writer Stephen King. Then, last week, lo and behold, Stephen King actually e-mailed in! That was good enough. I was placated. Little did I know that this was merely the first stage in an all-out Stephen King blitz! So which EW staffer finally stepped into corporate HQ to meet with all the editors last week? You got it — my boy SK! It seems I either personally shamed him into making an appearance, or he took pity on me and my little schoolgirl crush. Most likely the latter, but in any event I have to say that outside of a painfully awkward greeting in which we both tried to take part in some sort of hipster-laced soul-shake, it was totally awesome. He came in, hung with the staff, drank lots of water (supplied by Michael Endleman, no doubt) and rapped about his fave TV shows (Battlestar Galactica and The Wire) and why he wants to see the new M. Night Shyamalan movie. (I guess he truly is a sucker for a good horror show.) He told me he totally dug the column (nice of him to lie like that) and we posed for a few pictures that were almost as awkward as our original botched handshake greeting. See for yourself:

So, now that my man has responded to the challenge, it seems I can finally put this obsession to bed, and concentrate on more pressing matters

• Haha! Very cool of King to do that.
  • Now THAT would be awsome!!!! 8-)
  • Never seen the show and from King's description it sounds like a major downer.
  • Lou_Sytsma wrote: Never seen the show and from King's description it sounds like a major downer.

I haven't read the article yet, but one of the people writing for The Wire is George Pelecanos, one of my favorite crime writers. I haven't seen the TV show, though.
  • A new column has been released in the 9/29 issue. It's about "Lost"--SK, if I read the column correctly, actually participated in a meeting with the producers--and is on pages 22-23 of a special center insert on the show rather than the back page. I don't see it online yet.
  • Thanks for the heads up. I'd heard rumors of such a meeting.
  • We get a new column 2 weeks in a row!  8-)

This week's (cover date 10/8) SK takes on CNN's Nancy Grace.  It's not yet online, so let me give you a quote:

"I never expected to see anything remotely like [The Running Man] for real, but I never imagined Nancy Grace...and I've got a pretty nasty imagination."

• Amen Stephen.

I saw her once, flipping channels and recognized her for the vulture she is, and quickly moved on.
  • The 11/3 issue of EW has a new column, "Hail to the Spoken Word".  And hey, it's online at www.ew.com/king.  SK's even looking for responses:  what do you think is the best audiobook?

I should have mentioned before now that the 10/27 issue has a small article on "Lisey's Story".