Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

New column

Comments

• Thanks for keeping us up to date with these!
  • 3 items ago I posted the mini-article where SK said if given $20 to spend, he'd go see the movie Carriers.  The new column (10/9 issue) discusses why no one went to see it at any price.

"The One That Got Away" is not yet online.
  • New column: The Secret to Pop Culture Snacking
  • In the 11/20 issue: My Ultimate Playlist

Pretty self-explanatory, I think.

This column notes, however, that it essentially takes the place of a 2009 Best Music column, because SK simply hasn't heard enough new music to write one. (Not that he hates what he has heard.) There will be a Best TV column this year, though.
  • The best of columns begin this week (12/11 issue) with TV.
  • The Best of TV hasn't yet been posted, but next week's (12/18) cover has been, and it mentions "Stephen King's Top 10 Books", so that is probably the next column.
  • Here is the top 10 books slideshow
  • I finally found the best of TV column that was printed in the 12/11/09 issue.  I think it was mislabelled; it does not appear on SK's Contributor page at EW.com.

Best of TV 2009
  • In the 1/22 issue: Decoding Movie Blurbs.

It's not yet online. It is pretty much what you'd expect it'd be about with that title.

This is the fourth column in six issues, and no one had a front-section column last week. One of the columnists (Diablo Cody) is no longer listed on the masthead. Could this mean a change of schedule of SK columns?
  • He usually has more columns than usual at the end of the year with his best-of articles.
  • You're undoubtedly right. :-[  I went back and looked at last year, and I think I got confused because the best-ofs were an issue (or two) later this year.
  • 1089/#1090 2/12/10 Hey, Jay - Good Night, and Good Luck

(where SK tells us why Leno's 10p.m. failure is good for TV.)
  • The latest column, under its web name: Stephen King Talks About "The Jay Leno Show"  (much prefer the print title)
  • New column in the 3/5 issue. I believe it's called "Putting Movies First" (i.e., the movies themselves are more important than the awards given to them), but as I don't have it in front of me, no guarantees.

Also, a 20th anniversary of EW article reminds us that the issue that SK's column started in, in August 2003, featured Queer Eye for the Straight Guy on the cover. Has it really been that long ago? ;D
  • No sign online of last week's column yet, but...

In the 3/12 issue, page 71, there is this:

Stephen King...WHAT I'M READING NOW

MR. PEANUT

"It's by Adam Ross.  It's coming from Knopf in June, and it's the most riveting look at the dark side of marriage since Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?  It mixes true crime (the Sam Sheppard case), fictional crime (Rear Window), and dream crime (the main story, dealing with a maybe-wife-murderer named David Pepin) into a stew that's sometimes a little too chewy but always fascinating.  And it induced nightmares, at least in this reader.  No mean feat."
  • New column in the 4/2 issue. If I were less stupid, I've brought the magazine to the computer in the library so I could tell you the title. It's about print books vs. the Kindle and its competitors.
  • It's called "Inspector of Gadgets".

Quote:

Maybe instead of "Ur," I should have written a story called "The Monster That Ate the Book Biz"--but would Amazon have wanted that one? Probably not.
  • Stephen King on the Kindle and the iPad

EW's columnist likes e-readers, but doesn't think anything will ever replace books
  • In the April 23/30 issue:  Big Audio Dynamite.  It's about giving praise to the audio version of James Ellroy's Blood's a Rover, which SK says "is, quite simply, the best audiobook I've ever heard".

It's read by Craig Wasson.  As it happens, Wasson's just been named the reader of Blockade Billy.

Quotes:

"[Wasson's] a fine actor [...], but a mad hot audio reader."

"Great readers seem to live inside the books they're performing.  Wasson is one of those."