Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

New column

Comments

• Your Movie and Concert Hall Hell

My story about seeing Pink Floyd at Rice Stadium made the cut!
  • Is the magazine title still "My Worst Entertainment Experience"?

Great column.
  • I haven't seen the print edition.
  • "Fast Blurb Nation", about, well, blurbing movies and books, appears in the March 21 issue. It isn't online yet.
  • SK on regulating videogames: Videogame Lunacy (hint:  he's against it)
  • Apparently not discouraged by the reaction to his Best Rock and Roll Songs column, SK has now written "The Real Top 20", compiling the list of his 20 favorite songs in an objective way: they're listed by order of number of iPod plays. (or is it iTunes?)

This column is not yet online.
  • willowlove wrote: Apparently not discouraged by the reaction to his Best Rock and Roll Songs column, SK has now written "The Real Top 20", compiling the list of his 20 favorite songs in an objective way:  they're listed by order of number of iPod plays.  (or is it iTunes?)

This column is not yet online.

Here it is
  • In "Playing Against Hype", new in the 6/6/08 issue, SK discusses the new novel by Andre Dubus III, The Garden of Last Days, and the difference between buzz and hype.

Naturally, it's not online yet.
  • Good news:  "Playing Against Hype" has finally arrived online, and here it is.

New news:  A short article--about a 1/4 page, not a column--appears in the new EW, their 1000th issue.  It's a part of a series written by various celebrities called "My Favorite Year".  SK's is 1999--or, more precisely, 7/1999-7/2000.  You'll have to go to page 108 of the 6/27-7/4 issue to read it though; I couldn't find it at the site.

Old news:  The novels of Meg Gardiner, highly recommended by SK in a column in February 2007, have finally begun to arrive in stores.  Just thought you'd like to know.
  • Lou_Sytsma has already linked to the new column in a different thread, but I'd like to point out for magazine readers (presuming I'm not the only one) that SK's articles are no longer on the back page.  EW's gone through a redesign, so the columns are now much closer to the front--in this case, on page 22.
  • Issue #1004 of 8/1/08.

Consider the Junior Mint, where the Bard of Horror takes a gastronomical tour of the movie theater concessions stand!

Haven't seen it online yet.
  • Not a big fan of movie stand concessions myself. A bag of Nibs is my movie theater snack of choice.
  • In the 9/12 issue:  not a column but a book review.

Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games

Also two letters are printed in reaction to the baseball column; they're (predictably) split.
  • In the 9/19 issue, the column is about "manfiction"--i.e., the opposite of chicklit.

What a Guy Wants
  • From the 10/3 issue:  a letter about the most recent column, and for the first time in a long time, if ever, SK responds to it.

From page 2:

Lee Child and Michael Connelly are among my favorite authors, while current chick lit makes me gag (The Pop of King).  What's appealing about "manfiction" characters is their confidence, humor, and sense of morality.  I'd rather read about them than the hunk on the tropical isle Stephen King described.

Nancy Urbanis, Tunkhannock, PA

Columnist Stephen King responds:  No sexism intended.  Ladies have every right to enjoy the exploits of Jack Reacher and Harry Bosch...just as I have every right to enjoy Nora Roberts.  Genre fiction is NOT unisex.
  • In the 10/10 issue:  a column praising "Prison Break".

Gimme a "Break"

Note: the print edition has an illustration the online version apparently doesn't.
  • For my 100th post :), the link to the new column, this time on the presidental race and its coverage.

The HD Candidates

It's also in the 10/31 issue.

• Much appreciated -- and congratulations on hitting your first century.
  • In the 11/21 issue, SK gives thanks--and no thanks--for things in pop culture.

new column
  • Wishing and Hoping

The author shares his desires for this year, from a rock and roll rebirth, to a better season of ''24''
  • Haven't found it online yet:

Torture and '24'

Issue #1035 2/20/09

Jack Bauer isn't the first TV hero to go medieval on the bad guys, so why does he get all the flak?
  • Now it's online: Torture and "24"

(no hurry.)