Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

PODCASTS

Comments

• Notaro said:
    BBC Radio - The Lunar Effect; Tales Of Werewolves

I particularly loved that first story. The reader was very good. Not all narrators are suited to it. She was perfect. 

I thought it was a shame though, that they labeled it the way they did.  Totally gave away a very subtle, well written story. Sneaking up on the listener would have been so much more delicious. 
    I listened to all of these this afternoon/early evening. As soon as I read your message here I knew where we were going once I started listening to the first one, it's still a very good story but I agree about the title. 

This was a great collection of stories. 
    NotaroHedda Gabler
  • What would be your item of  trade? Anyone.

For instance, Scott could be a stethoscope. 
    I had to Google Mop Fairs. (didn't at first realise they were another name for Hiring Fairs, I hadn't heard of either until I saw them mentioned here, it drew me to listen to the stories tonight)

I'll have to think carefully before answering your query. 
    NotaroHedda Gabler
  • What would be your item of  trade? Anyone.

For instance, Scott could be a stethoscope. 
    ....or a microphone.....Irish could carry around a can of spray paint.....
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurben
  • edited May 2022
    FlakeNoir said:
    Notaro said:
    BBC Radio - The Lunar Effect; Tales Of Werewolves

I particularly loved that first story. The reader was very good. Not all narrators are suited to it. She was perfect. 

I thought it was a shame though, that they labeled it the way they did.  Totally gave away a very subtle, well written story. Sneaking up on the listener would have been so much more delicious. 
    I listened to all of these this afternoon/early evening. As soon as I read your message here I knew where we were going once I started listening to the first one, it's still a very good story but I agree about the title. 

This was a great collection of stories. 
    If they wouldn’t have labeled them werewolf stories, a person would have bought it completely that this was a story about a girl starting her period. 

Total disservice to this terrific story. 
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNT
  • edited May 2022
    And just to yap on about this — i’m not a huge fan of pigeonholing. 

All short story anthologies these days seem to be themed. I will always love short stories, but too many closed-minded people see a themed anthology and if it’s not their “thing,” they skip it. 

And it can be themed by content — fictional writings about Werewolves, Train stories, Barbecue tales — I have to decide as a reader, are those barbecue stories gonna get my money? Probably not.  And I have no doubt there is good writing, a good story in there.  But I won’t risk it. My loss? Yes. Their loss? Money wise, yes. 

It can be themed by contributors — Women writers, LBGTQ writers, Christian writers, Drug Addict writers — and that can turn people off.  Don’t label the read because you limit your audience.   You want to get those returning fans of genre or authors, but you want to capture new fans too.  Don’t alienate their dosh right out of the gate. 

I have a love/hate relationship with that concept.  
    Because I love short stories .  
    NotaroFlakeNoirKurbenGNTLGNT
  • The Losers Club podcast just dropped an interview with Stephen Graham Jones. Super well done. Professional. Intelligent.  Humor without being a goofy mess. 

I give the hosts big props for shining the spotlight on their guest, not themselves. Obviously they inserted themselves just enough to propel the interview forward.  Can’t give enough praise especially to the one host. She/he/they was very prepared and had questions and observations that kept the interview fresh.  Great job you guys!

Stephen Graham Jones recommended many books but one that grabbed my interest and he highly highly recommended saying he himself had read it at least 5 to 7 times — FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven. 

Anyone read this? Thoughts?
    I'm really enjoying their new episodes where they interview a writer. The two hosts for those episodes are great. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • edited May 2022
    Grant87 said:
    The Losers Club podcast just dropped an interview with Stephen Graham Jones. Super well done. Professional. Intelligent.  Humor without being a goofy mess. 

I give the hosts big props for shining the spotlight on their guest, not themselves. Obviously they inserted themselves just enough to propel the interview forward.  Can’t give enough praise especially to the one host. She/he/they was very prepared and had questions and observations that kept the interview fresh.  Great job you guys!

Stephen Graham Jones recommended many books but one that grabbed my interest and he highly highly recommended saying he himself had read it at least 5 to 7 times — FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven. 

Anyone read this? Thoughts?
    I'm really enjoying their new episodes where they interview a writer. The two hosts for those episodes are great. 
    I was seriously impressed with the Jones interview.  I hope they see these kudos. I listen to a lot of podcasts, they were top tier professional. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Mick Garris speaks to Ben Stiller on his Post Mortem podcast. I would love to
    listen , but they will talk about Severance which I hope to watch and I’m worried about spoilers. 

If anyone listens to said podcast, report back, please, on spoilerosityishness. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurben
  • spoilerosityishness

....and on the 8th day, God said "Let their be a new portmanteau word. And it was good"...
    Hedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoir
  • BBC Radio - Cabin Pressure (Series 1)

Hedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • One of the latest Kingcasts discussed Crouch’s End. I went to YouTube and found a good reader and listened to it again. Refreshed my memory. 

The kingcast boys did a professional job with this segment. Good discussion. Of course, they both love this story so took it more seriously. 

I wish they went into every segment with this much dedication — especially on the things they don’t like.  That’s the real challenge and speaks volumes to the integrity of the show. 

Work just as hard, research just as deep with the the bad as you do the good, gentlemen. And respect the guests.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTKurben
  • Mick Garris had an AMA — ask mick anything. He does them from time to time. So interesting. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Notaro said:
    BBC Radio - Cabin Pressure (Series 1)

Oh my gosh, this is really funny. I haven’t checked but I hope there is more in the series.  So far I’ve listened to two. 

Good stuff. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • edited May 2022
    Notaro said:

Oh my gosh, this is really funny. I haven’t checked but I hope there is more in the series.  So far I’ve listened to two. 

Good stuff. 
    This is absolutely brilliant, Irish shared these guys with me in 2020 and I've listened to them over and over and over again, they are my pick-me-up go to. Yes there are more series, I'll try to email you a link.
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Gar.. it wasn't 2020, it was this time last year. Have set them through to you Hedda.
  • *sent, not set. Ffs.🙄

I listened to all of series one this afternoon, it was the salve to watching Mare of Easttown. 
  • King is on the new episode of The Loser's Club Podcast!
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Good listen. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • Episode 171 of Mick Garris’s POSTMORTEM—

Very interesting episode of AMA.

Mick is asked about the Rust set and the shooting and he is very forthcoming with his opinion. Not wishy washy.

He discusses Riding the Bullet —a movie i personally loved. Not many do but insights about that were interesting. 

Apparently there was a time where Stephen King was going to direct Gerald’s Game and Mick was going to be the producer.  Tidbit I found interesting. 

@BevVincent — mick said he was at Ghost brothers in Atlanta. I did not see him, did you? Maybe he was in the theater but didn’t go to after party?  I am so bummed I didn’t see him!
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTKurbenNotaro
  • Finished Jodie Foster Masterclass — smart, creative, professional, very aware of those around her— good class. 

Now I’m watching Martin Scorsese Masterclass. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTNotaro
  • edited June 2022
    Listened to Mick Garris’s podcast — interesting mention of Richard Chizmar in his AMA. 

I didn’t realize Richard was attached to From A Buick Eight at one time.  @BevVincent — any insights you can give us about the project and his involvement?

I guess mick was attached to direct at one time. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirNotaro
  • edited June 2022
    Listened to an episode of You’re Dead To Me.

This is historical discussions with the host, an expert historian on the topic and a comedian. It’s informative and fun. 

The episode I listened to had Stephen Fry as the comedian and the topic was Frederik, the King in Prussia.  And yes, there is discussion whether it’s “in” or “of”. 🤣

it’s really interesting stuff. And humorous. Again @Kurben it’s a free podcast and right up your history alley. 
    GNTLGNTNotaroKurben
  • edited June 2022
    Notaro said:

I listened to the whole series — this was delightful. Yes, I used delightful and your point is? 

Thanks for recommending it nb and thanks flakers for linking me to the complete series. 

Loved it. Need more radio dramas and comedies
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Notaro said:

I listened to the whole series — this was delightful. Yes, I used delightful and your point is? 

Thanks for recommending it nb and thanks flakers for linking me to the complete series. 

Loved it. Need more radio dramas and comedies
    Glad you enjoyed it Hedda, and thank you Flakes for sending the link to all the shows. It truly is laugh out loud funny and a great cure for a down day.
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT