Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• The Handmaid's Tale -- Criterion Collection

Robert Duvall
    Faye Dunaway
    Natasha Richardson

Now, if you look at reviews and comments and ratings of this film, it doesn't do too well.  The creatives involved weren't all that happy with it by what I'm seeing. But I really liked this film.  A lot. 

I saw it when it first came out and I was young. And personal circumstances at the time you read or see anything can make or break your long lasting feelings about something.  I found it compelling and I embraced the story then and now.  I still think it's worth a look at.

Here's an article about this movie:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/03/the-forgotten-handmaids-tale/388514/
    Duvall is such an excellent actor. 
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • The Handmaid's Tale -- Criterion Collection

Robert Duvall
    Faye Dunaway
    Natasha Richardson

Now, if you look at reviews and comments and ratings of this film, it doesn't do too well.  The creatives involved weren't all that happy with it by what I'm seeing. But I really liked this film.  A lot. 

I saw it when it first came out and I was young. And personal circumstances at the time you read or see anything can make or break your long lasting feelings about something.  I found it compelling and I embraced the story then and now.  I still think it's worth a look at.

Here's an article about this movie:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/03/the-forgotten-handmaids-tale/388514/
    Duvall is such an excellent actor. 
    He was also in the movie I watched yesterday, Bullitt.

He really has had an amazing career.  Is there an autobiography on him?  I might actually read it if so.  Will have to investigate.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Watched these, The Old Guard, an ok'ish shoot em up, Charlize Theron leads a small group mercenaries who have lived for hundreds of years, they go after someone who betrayed them. 

The Silencing,  probably the better of the two, a father tries to find his daughter who has been missing for 5 years, she may have been a victim of a serial killer who hunts teenage girls for sport. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau stars as the father. 

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Notaro said:
    Watched these, The Old Guard, an ok'ish shoot em up, Charlize Theron leads a small group mercenaries who have lived for hundreds of years, they go after someone who betrayed them. 

The Silencing,  probably the better of the two, a father tries to find his daughter who has been missing for 5 years, she may have been a victim of a serial killer who hunts teenage girls for sport. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau stars as the father. 

The Silencing looks good.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Not a movie, just a great interview with a legend taking about another legend.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • Notaro said:
    Not a movie, just a great interview with a legend taking about another legend.

I watched this while I was cooking dinner tonight, it was really interesting. :) 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • I recorded JoJo Rabbit. I think someone on here mentioned this?  I hope this is good.  

Who has seen this? Thoughts?
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • Notaro said:
    Not a movie, just a great interview with a legend taking about another legend.

That was very good and touching.
    FlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNTcat
  • edited August 2020
    I recorded JoJo Rabbit. I think someone on here mentioned this?  I hope this is good.  

I think @Notaro might have seen it?
    I know I was talking with Char about it on the SKMB not long before closing. I still haven't seen it, but Taika is amazing and I've heard it's really good. (I also love how by Taika taking the role as he did, he essentially got to thumb his nose at Hitler--and everything he stood for, brilliant.) 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • I recorded JoJo Rabbit. I think someone on here mentioned this?  I hope this is good.  

I thought it was excellent Hedda, atrocity seen through the eyes of a child poisoned with the notions of hatred and bigotry, it starts out like a big game for him, a big adventure, but the game becomes all too real. It's funny and heartbreaking in equal measure. 
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • edited August 2020
    I love TW, he is such a great writer and I love his sense of humor.  But for all the goofiness,  I can feel the underlying darkness.  It's making me a little nervous to be honest.  I'm about 21 minutes in and feel the foreshadowing that this isn't going to remain a funny movie.
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoircat
  • edited August 2020
    I am an hour and 24 minutes into Godfather III.  I have never seen this one.  Bits and pieces here and there, but not start to finish.

So far, I am seeing a lot of the first two movies revamped. Scenes stolen directly from the first two movies.  -- seems to be lazy movie making to me.  But maybe that's the point of the movie, everything old is new again.  This "sicillian thing" never changes.  It remains the same generation after generation.

But, an hour and 24 in, I am disappointed that so many of the first two movies iconic scenes and dialogue are just lifted and dropped here all dressed up in new settings with older characters.  Almost hilariously predictable.

Hopefully this isn't the case for the next 2+. hours
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • I'm even seeing the same musical scores from certain scenes playing out in similar scenes in Godfather III.  

Don't get me wrong, I love the iconic music but this movie was phoned in.  so far.
  • I'm even seeing the same musical scores from certain scenes playing out in similar scenes in Godfather III.  

Don't get me wrong, I love the iconic music but this movie was phoned in.  so far.
    ....just when you think you're out....it pulls you back in...... :D
    NotaroHedda Gablercat
  • If memory serves I think Winona Ryder was cast in the movie but she dropped out and was replaced with Sofia Coppola. 
    GNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • Notaro said:
    If memory serves I think Winona Ryder was cast in the movie but she dropped out and was replaced with Sofia Coppola. 
    While I think Sofia's acting is stiff, there is an innocence to it also that I am liking and it works in this film.

I really can't imagine Winona being the character.  
    GNTLGNTNotarocat
  • One of my guilty pleasure movies is Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette.

I absolutely just love that movie.  Very creative and visually satisfying.
    GNTLGNTNotarocat
  • Pretty good, I liked this adaptation much better than Mercy which was released a few years ago. 

Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Will watch this one tonight!
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • It's short and sweet Hedda, about 20 minutes. 
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • I love those.  Quick little snippets of something creative.  I can always find those short and sweet moments to fill in.
  • JoJo Rabbit.

This was a terrific movie.  The young actors in this were amazing professionals.  I don't want to call them children actors; they were actors and they played their parts so well.

This young man did a phenomenal job:

Why Oscar-nominated Jojo Rabbit is the film we need right now

And of course, I cried at the end.

@FlakeNoir -- Part of the end credits was David Bowie's Heroes sung in German.  Perfect.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNTcat
  • Shadows and Fog --

Lot's of well known faces in this one.  I did some reading on  this and there was a comment that it wasn't like Allen's usual stuff. I thought it was exactly like Allen's usual stuff only more boring.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoircat
  • Went with an old favourite over the weekend, Ravenous got absolutely no love upon it's release,  I saw it in a near empty cinema, but it's a cracking movie, dark humour, terrific cast and great performances. Recommended....

GNTLGNTFlakeNoircat