Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

What Movies Are You Viewing?

Comments

• I'm looking forward to the new Tom Hanks movie, which will be released on Apple+ TV tomorrow.

I like Tom Hanks, great actor. But whenever he does these historical films or produces a TV series, he tends to ignore events or circumstances which would portray the US in a negative way, an example of this is Band of Brothers. This is also the case with Spielberg who produces along with Hanks. I remember there was a documentary along with the Band of Brothers series, and they were talking to vets, a vet starts to talk about some of the horrible, not so patriotic, things they did, and the interview suddenly ends. As though this does not match thier idea of "Patriotism." 
    GNTLGNT
  • I'm looking forward to the new Tom Hanks movie, which will be released on Apple+ TV tomorrow.

I like Tom Hanks, great actor. But whenever he does these historical films or produces a TV series, he tends to ignore events or circumstances which would portray the US in a negative way, an example of this is Band of Brothers. This is also the case with Spielberg who produces along with Hanks. I remember there was a documentary along with the Band of Brothers series, and they were talking to vets, a vet starts to talk about some of the horrible, not so patriotic, things they did, and the interview suddenly ends. As though this does not match thier idea of "Patriotism." 
    *their
    GNTLGNT
  • ....skewing things to fit your own and possibly others worldviews, is certainly not exclusive to Mssrs. Hanks & Spielberg.....
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....Tom is one of the top talents of our generation.....plus, he's a damned nice guy....
    I think so too, but I know a guy whose grandson was working in Hollywood.  Getting parts in the background on TV shows, but not enough to make a living.  So, he worked at some clothing store as his day job.

Tom came in with a couple of his kids to shop and they closed the whole store down for them to shop privately.  Apparently he was a huge ass to them.  

I want to believe that Tom was just having a bad day like we all do from time to time and unfortunately took it out on the store employees.

Well damn, Deejers... you can't do this to me.
    Not Tom...?
    Oh....

....no. 
    Sigh. 
     :/ 
    Like I said, I think it was just a bad day for Tom. Think how hard it would be to always be "on" for people gawking at you.   I love his work.
    NotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • FlakeNoir said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    ....Tom is one of the top talents of our generation.....plus, he's a damned nice guy....
    I think so too, but I know a guy whose grandson was working in Hollywood.  Getting parts in the background on TV shows, but not enough to make a living.  So, he worked at some clothing store as his day job.

Tom came in with a couple of his kids to shop and they closed the whole store down for them to shop privately.  Apparently he was a huge ass to them.  

I want to believe that Tom was just having a bad day like we all do from time to time and unfortunately took it out on the store employees.

Well damn, Deejers... you can't do this to me.
    Not Tom...?
    Oh....

....no. 
    Sigh. 
     :/ 
    Like I said, I think it was just a bad day for Tom. Think how hard it would be to always be "on" for people gawking at you.   I love his work.
    ....and given the "Cult of Celebrity:, if he WAS a classic asshat-I'm sure the media would be screaming it from every mountaintop......
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Not sure how I feel about this, I really liked the Benicio Del Toro remake but do we really need another remake so soon...

https://screenrant.com/wolfman-movie-reboot-director-leigh-whannell-blumhouse/
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • I watched the movie version of The Little Stranger last night. It was blech compared to the book. It was only a tiny bit changed, nothing of consequence really, but the book was almost 500 pages long and they just left too much out. It jumped from thing to thing too quickly.  The movie did not have the atmosphere of the book, although it tried. It got the setting right but the build up and suspense was not anywhere close to the book's. 

The ending still left me confused. I read an article where the director was interviewed and I know what HE thinks it meant but I disagree with him. 😆 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    I watched the movie version of The Little Stranger last night. It was blech compared to the book. It was only a tiny bit changed, nothing of consequence really, but the book was almost 500 pages long and they just left too much out. It jumped from thing to thing too quickly.  The movie did not have the atmosphere of the book, although it tried. It got the setting right but the build up and suspense was not anywhere close to the book's. 

The ending still left me confused. I read an article where the director was interviewed and I know what HE thinks it meant but I disagree with him. 😆 
    Can you link to the article?  I'd like to read it too.
    catFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    I watched the movie version of The Little Stranger last night. It was blech compared to the book. It was only a tiny bit changed, nothing of consequence really, but the book was almost 500 pages long and they just left too much out. It jumped from thing to thing too quickly.  The movie did not have the atmosphere of the book, although it tried. It got the setting right but the build up and suspense was not anywhere close to the book's. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thrillist.com/amphtml/entertainment/nation/the-little-stranger-movie-ending-explained
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirNotaroGNTLGNT
  • cat said:
    cat said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thrillist.com/amphtml/entertainment/nation/the-little-stranger-movie-ending-explained
    Interesting. So, having read the book and having seen the movie, what do you think was going on?

Did Farraday push her?  It's so long since I saw this, I can't remember what I was thinking, but I never felt the doctor was completely innocent.  He was so odd and needy.  I'm almost thinking I DID think he pushed her, being the child stealing the acorn that he couldn't have, killing the girl that he couldn't have.  But totally separating himself from the act.

catNotaroGNTLGNT
  • Well, the book ended pretty much the same, with Faraday in the house. No vision of his younger self at the top of the stairs though. 

I think the director's explanation of the psyche splitting and causing harm only works with what happened to the mother, the scratches appearing out of nowhere. I think he was responsible for everything. He wanted the house because of his childhood memories, I agreed with that part too. But I think he made sure Roderick was out of the picture, then made the mother think she was crazy (the book was much more detailed about this) and when the engagement to Caroline was ended by her, I think he killed her. She said "You." Both in the book and the movie. I think it was him. No ghost anywhere. 

GNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Watched Ghosts Of War, during WW2 a group of American soldiers are stationed at a chateau, strange things start to happen soon after they arrive. This was a bit uneven, it started well and it had some creepy moments but it went in a different direction for the finale, still, it was enjoyable to some degree.

FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gablercat
  • The Good Liar. — I knew where this movie was headed, just wasn’t sure how they were going to get there.  I enjoyed watching the actors. 
    catFlakeNoirBevVincentGNTLGNTNotaro
  • I have watched more movies during this pandemic than I have in five years.
    Finally I got to watch:  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - LOVED IT - it was a slow burn, and a really fantastic movie - if you like QT.
    I watched Cloud Atlas - it was interesting - I tried to read the book years ago and it confused me.  I did read Black Swan Down and actually understood it, but David Mitchell is a little over my head most of the time.  
    I watched a super cute movie on Netflix: Dumplin' - very cute.
    I watched Vast of Night and loved it - my kind of movie.
    The Ogre & I have decided to have a Catch up with the Coen Brothers film festival of sorts.  We missed a bunch.  Last Saturday it was Burn Before Reading - entertaining and odd - just like you'd expect.  

NotaroFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Black Swan Green - Oops!
    NotaroFlakeNoircatGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Tonight I watched Dead Poets Society, it's the first time I've seen it since we lost Robin Williams. I found it really hard to watch, it was just raw... and actually I just cried and cried.
    Watching it from the perspective of what he might have been though.

It's a brilliant movie, but exhausting... so much emotion. 
    GNTLGNTHedda GablerNotaro
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Tonight I watched Dead Poets Society, it's the first time I've seen it since we lost Robin Williams. I found it really hard to watch, it was just raw... and actually I just cried and cried.
    Watching it from the perspective of what he might have been though.

It's a brilliant movie, but exhausting... so much emotion. 
    O Captain! my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
    The ship has weather’d every rack, the prize we sought is won,
    The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
    While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
                             But O heart! heart! heart!
                                O the bleeding drops of red,
                                   Where on the deck my Captain lies,
                                      Fallen cold and dead.
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • edited July 2020
    Bullitt. -- Criterion Collection

I had never see this one and found it to be pretty entertaining on the whole.

Some things I found fun:

Steve McQueen and his blue eyes.   They made sure they gave Steve plenty of closeups because of those blue eyes they were paying for.  Just scenes where we get up close and personal watching him look at things. Had to laugh.  Anyone else who may have had pretty blue eyes were not given their close close close-ups.  Shot from the side, or they were given glasses to wear, bulky ones, or colored ones.  They may have gotten a few seconds of their eyes, but nothing like the long drawn-out, and in the eyeball views we got of Steve's.   Can't take away from those Steve blues.

McQueen goes into a corner market and picks up Banquet T.V. dinners. That was a blast from the past.  I remember those, and they tasted better than the crap you get today.

All of the hospital scenes were fascinating to see the antiquated way in which we were doctored.  Those visuals were all sorts of holy hell.

I found it hilarious that Jacqueline Bissett is in his bed naked, and Steve has on paisley pajamas.  Which were quite pretty. I wish I had them.  Now, when we first see Steve in his p.j.'s, they are a set and he is alone.  When he is with Jackie, we see him from the waist up. We know she's nude, we just know it.  But he has his p.j. top on. We assume he has his bottoms on as well.  Or,  Maybe he didn't have the bottoms on. What a crack up.  I guess his chest hair wasn't cooperating that day, or perhaps he had gynecomastia and was hiding it.  Who knows.  

Steve sets up a meeting to get information from a guy, and instead of just walking out to the sidewalk in front of the cafe where they meet, they have to go clear across the street.  It was the director's way of bringing a little bit of edgy raciness to the film by having them stop in front of a poster for almost nude dancers.  Big bosomed blonde bombshells with pasties and posed enticingly -- the Marilyn Monroe side nude pose that is famous --  only with pasties on the dancer's boobies.  The camera makes sure we see that poster clearly and that Steve, such a man, is standing in front of it.  It was advertising The Galaxy.

The famous chase scenes in his mustang that recently sold for big bucks was very good.  Going over those hills in San Franscisco.  I've been on those hills in a car, and your stomach just drops out from under you.  And you go up in the air, you cannot see where you are coming down.  It's frightening.  That had to be quite a huge undertaking to film that.  

Total crack up to see the airport then as compared to now.  Times they are a'changin'.

Wiki has a good entry on the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullitt

Overall, not a bad movie. Steve really doesn't have that much dialogue. His eyes do all the talking.  I'm sure the studio paid handsomely for them. 

I never trusted Robert Vaughn and I still don't, even after I got to the end.
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • .....it's the movie that caused me to fall in love with the Dodge Charger....
    Faster than Bullitt 1968 Ford Mustang vs 1968 Dodge Charger
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited July 2020
    GNTLGNT said:
    .....it's the movie that caused me to fall in love with the Dodge Charger....
    apparently they had to back off the gas pedal on the Charger to keep it from just leaving the Mustang in the dust.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoirghost19
  • GNTLGNT said:
    and that green VW?  That damn thing was in a million chase shots, so obviously VWs are not as gutless as one might think.  bwhahahaha!  It was holdin' it's own with the big boys on the Streets of San Francisco.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • GNTLGNT said:
    apparently they had to back off the gas pedal on the charger to keep it from just leaving the mustang in the dust.
    ....indeed, that thing is a beast!.....and the V-dub?....it WAS San Fran-so probably had LSD in the gas tank.....
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoir
  • edited July 2020
    GNTLGNT said:
    GNTLGNT said:
    apparently they had to back off the gas pedal on the charger to keep it from just leaving the mustang in the dust.
    ....indeed, that thing is a beast!.....and the V-dub?....it WAS San Fran-so probably had LSD in the gas tank.....
     :D  :D :D   Yep, the VW was doing it's own sort of flying.

But honestly, they wanted it to feel that the chase was seamless but it was sort of hard when that green VW would be up ahead of them after they just passed it.  Of course, like you said, it was San Fran and the 60s, so probably everybody had a green VW and it wasn't the same one.  

We'll just go with that.
    GNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • The Handmaid's Tale -- Criterion Collection

Robert Duvall
    Faye Dunaway
    Natasha Richardson

Now, if you look at reviews and comments and ratings of this film, it doesn't do too well.  The creatives involved weren't all that happy with it by what I'm seeing. But I really liked this film.  A lot. 

I saw it when it first came out and I was young. And personal circumstances at the time you read or see anything can make or break your long lasting feelings about something.  I found it compelling and I embraced the story then and now.  I still think it's worth a look at.

Here's an article about this movie:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/03/the-forgotten-handmaids-tale/388514/
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT