Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

MUSIC!

Comments

• Feedback options working just fine now.
    BevVincentGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I've been listening to this band since my early 20's, still like them very much.

NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited April 2020

Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • That was all sorts of cool!
    NotaroGNTLGNTBevVincent
  • Not safe for work, or the easily offended by rough language:

Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • ..so we can call him a dickhead again... bwhwohehahahaa!  

that was great.
    NotaroBevVincent
  • Notaro said:
    I just listened to this and it was terrific.  Orson Welles is always a great voice.  I've seen the Twilight Zone episode of this with Inger Stevens, but it was cool to just listen to it.  

I did have to laugh when we had to listen to coins being dropped into a pay phone over and over and over.....and over again!  I would've loved to be involved with these way back when. Creating this entertainment.

And, the ending commercial voice by Orson for the war effort was a fascinating bit of history.  The plea for ten cents of every dollar you made to be loaned to the U.S. government to defeat the Nazis.  

GNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    I just listened to this and it was terrific.  Orson Welles is always a great voice.  I've seen the Twilight Zone episode of this with Inger Stevens, but it was cool to just listen to it.  

I did have to laugh when we had to listen to coins being dropped into a pay phone over and over and over.....and over again!  I would've loved to be involved with these way back when. Creating this entertainment.

And, the ending commercial voice by Orson for the war effort was a fascinating bit of history.  The plea for ten cents of every dollar you made to be loaned to the U.S. government to defeat the Nazis.  

And, Notaro's love of these and the current pandemic we find ourselves in begs for a creative group of writers to give us some of these for entertainment.  

We are seeing many people challenging others to do such and such a thing. Celebrities shouting out other celebrities to do something fun and silly and entertaining to get us through this mess.

Well, I'm nobody.  But, I'm going to challenge @Bev Vincent, Stephen King, Joe Hill, Richard Chizmar, Neil Gaiman, Amanda Palmer, Brian James Freeman, Michael Arnzen -- add a name guys, who would you like to see bring us an old radio drama?

With with these creative minds trapped at home, and I'm sure they are all creating -- but, take a minute and think about this.  Join forces, act alone, use your family -- give us an old radio drama.  One of your works.  A public domain work.  Have friends do the sound effects.  You all, I'm sure, know someone who could edit the tech part of all this.

This doesn't have to be a polished, slick thing.  Let it be spontaneous and fun.  Laugh, make mistakes!  CREATE!  

The people I named are people who seem to be spontaneous enough to maybe give it a go.  

I'm a nobody.  Is anyone listening?
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:

And, Notaro's love of these and the current pandemic we find ourselves in begs for a creative group of writers to give us some of these for entertainment.  

We are seeing many people challenging others to do such and such a thing. Celebrities shouting out other celebrities to do something fun and silly and entertaining to get us through this mess.

Well, I'm nobody.  But, I'm going to challenge @Bev Vincent, Stephen King, Joe Hill, Richard Chizmar, Neil Gaiman, Amanda Palmer, Brian James Freeman, Michael Arnzen -- add a name guys, who would you like to see bring us an old radio drama?

With with these creative minds trapped at home, and I'm sure they are all creating -- but, take a minute and think about this.  Join forces, act alone, use your family -- give us an old radio drama.  One of your works.  A public domain work.  Have friends do the sound effects.  You all, I'm sure, know someone who could edit the tech part of all this.

This doesn't have to be a polished, slick thing.  Let it be spontaneous and fun.  Laugh, make mistakes!  CREATE!  

The people I named are people who seem to be spontaneous enough to maybe give it a go.  

That's an awesome idea Hedda, right off the bat I think that Survivor Type and The Boogeyman would make amazing audio dramas. I think the radio play format is amazing, theatre of the imagination, no story is too big or small. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Here's another favourite of mine a two part adaptation of Donovan's Brain, Welles is in top form in it.

Hedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

That's an awesome idea Hedda, right off the bat I think that Survivor Type and The Boogeyman would make amazing audio dramas. I think the radio play format is amazing, theatre of the imagination, no story is too big or small. 
    Wouldn't that be great?  So many musicians are giving these impromptu, solo or group  concerts from their living rooms.  Authors could gives us more than just an audio book. Jump back to the old days when everyone sat around the radio and escaped into another world.  

Everything old can be new again.  New voices.  New artists. New stories.  New technology that can enhance without sullying the charm of the radio drama form.

The various characters acted out by other people -- maybe a family member on site, maybe a friend or colleague or peer or creative brainiac on a Zoom thing -- it would be terrific fun. All the sound effects and music.   And it could be as simple or as elaborate a production that they wanted to make it.

NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

Wouldn't that be great?  So many musicians are giving these impromptu, solo or group  concerts from their living rooms.  Authors could gives us more than just an audio book. Jump back to the old days when everyone sat around the radio and escaped into another world.  

Everything old can be new again.  New voices.  New artists. New stories.  New technology that can enhance without sullying the charm of the radio drama form.

The various characters acted out by other people -- maybe a family member on site, maybe a friend or colleague or peer or creative brainiac on a Zoom thing -- it would be terrific fun. All the sound effects and music.   And it could be as simple or as elaborate a production that they wanted to make it.

I think Bev and SK could easily video themselves reading one of their own or each others short stories and upload it to youtube, maybe one story a week. Surely that's not an impossibility?  :)
    Hedda GablerFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

I think Bev and SK could easily video themselves reading one of their own or each others short stories and upload it to youtube, maybe one story a week. Surely that's not an impossibility?  :)
    While reading a story to us would be great, that's not what I'm suggesting. I want a radio drama.  I don't want to see them.  I want to hear them.

I want to hear the mood set with music. Swelling suspense, lulling us with a sense of safety, hitting us in the gut with a clash of a cymbal (or the smack of a spoon on a metal pot!). I want the characters to have different voices.  I want to hear them sob when they are supposed to sob. Or scream, or whisper, or laugh.

I want sound effects of the barking dog, the police siren, the crashing of a tree limb -- all done with technology, or simple things they find in their homes.

That's what I'm talking about.  Radio Drama.  Orson Welles stuff.

NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

While reading a story to us would be great, that's not what I'm suggesting. I want a radio drama.  I don't want to see them.  I want to hear them.

I want to hear the mood set with music. Swelling suspense, lulling us with a sense of safety, hitting us in the gut with a clash of a cymbal (or the smack of a spoon on a metal pot!). I want the characters to have different voices.  I want to hear them sob when they are supposed to sob. Or scream, or whisper, or laugh.

I want sound effects of the barking dog, the police siren, the crashing of a tree limb -- all done with technology, or simple things they find in their homes.

I'm with you 100% on that. 
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNTHedda Gabler
  • Notaro said:

Oh my gosh yes! This would be brilliant, I would love to see out literary crafters put something like this together.
    I would add Meg Gardiner to this list, I think she would be a lot of fun! 
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Oh good God.
    *our 
     :# 
    GNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Notaro said:

Oh my gosh yes! This would be brilliant, I would love to see out literary crafters put something like this together.
    I would add Meg Gardiner to this list, I think she would be a lot of fun! 
    Yes, she has a great sense of fun, she'd be great!
  • Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

....Peter Cullen and Frank Welker that voice Optimus Prime and Megatron would be outstanding for voice drama.....
    Hedda Gabler
  • ....I know they're not writers, just thinking voice talent.....
    Hedda Gabler
  • GNTLGNT said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:
    Notaro said:

....Peter Cullen and Frank Welker that voice Optimus Prime and Megatron would be outstanding for voice drama.....
    Oh yeah, they'd sound great in a radio drama.
    GNTLGNT