Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Tupilaq

Comments

• edited June 2021
    Cut 50 words.   Easy to do because I'm a passive verb girl.  Oh my god! so many passive verbs.  

NotaroGNTLGNT
  • Okay guys, i did it. I wrote a story for Summer Camp.  It is very rough at the moment. Have some dilemmas to think about, I need  to clean it up, over by 26 words which will be easy to cut.  But i’m going to submit it. No guts, no glory. 

I tried.
    Good job, very proud of you.
    Hedda GablerNotaroKurbenGNTLGNT
  • edited June 2021
    What the hell right?  I'm always embarrassing myself.  I might as well do it in grand style.
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenGNTLGNT
  • What the hell right?  I'm always embarrassing myself.  I might as well do it in grand style.
    You're never embarrassing yourself, I still want to be you when I grow up.
    Hedda GablerNotaroKurbenGNTLGNT
  • ....and the Pulitzer goes to....(I wanna read it!)....
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • Okay.  I think I have it.  I think it's good.  For me.  I will be submitting it if I can figure how exactly you do that.  I have never submitted a story by doc xyzpdq or whatever it's called.  If anyone would like to throw out a kindergarten level tutorial, I'd be pleased.

And once I do it, I'm not looking at it again because as Flake can tell you, I can f**k around with a story for four score and seven years.  So, once it goes in, that's it.  No more looking at it.  My son is going to take another pass at it tomorrow.  He gave me some really great suggestions.  

And if I can do this, you can too.   Do it. Do it. Do it.
    NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • All you do is email the story as an attachment in Word doc format. 

In the subject line of your email state the theme, your wordcount, and story title.

https://cemeterygatesmedia.com/cemetery-gates-society/
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • edited June 2021
    All you do is email the story as an attachment in Word doc format. 

In the subject line of your email state the theme, your wordcount, and story title.

https://cemeterygatesmedia.com/cemetery-gates-society/
    Thank you.  And if I screw up, hopefully Cemetery Gates is kind enough to let me know.

It will be obvious I don't know what I'm doing.  I went back and looked how all the professional writers formatted their pieces.  I'm not sure of spacing -- single, 1.5? I hope it doesn't matter how I do it.  I'm guessing they will format it the way they want it.  But I do want it to look nice and clean.

I replaced my passive verbs with good sound ones. Instead of stretching something out forever because I love the sound of my own voice, I reshuffled the order and tightened things up.  

There's a lot going on in my piece that I hope people pick up on.  But I guess I didn't do my job if they don't.  

And does word limit include title?

NotaroFlakeNoirGNTLGNT
  • Word count doesn't usually include the title (but don't use a 50-word title!)

Double space. Indent every paragraph using Word's formatting.
    FlakeNoirKurbenNotaroGNTLGNT
  • edited June 2021
    Word count doesn't usually include the title (but don't use a 50-word title!)

Thank you for every tip. Do Macs have Word? My next mystery to figure out. 🤔 😆
    FlakeNoirGNTLGNT

I'm not sure, but they do have delicious McFlurries. 

Sorry, carry on. 😬
    NotaroHedda GablerKurbenGNTLGNT
  • FlakeNoir said:
    Word count doesn't usually include the title (but don't use a 50-word title!)

I'm not sure, but they do have delicious McFlurries. 

Sorry, carry on. 😬
    ....and brefuss sammiches....
    FlakeNoirHedda Gabler

Apparently you can use Pages on a Mac and File > Export > Word.
    FlakeNoirNotaroKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNT
  • Getting close.  I'm entering the dangerous dick-around-with-it stage and I need to stop.  I don't know how writers know when they are done.  I change and change and change.

It's like algebra was for me.  Show your work.  Break it down.  What a flippin' nightmare.

I'd start breaking that problem down and I would just keep going and going -- when I'd get my tests back, I would get partial credit because way back right over c'here was the answer--buried deep in my break down.  I found the answer and passed it by, trying to find a better answer.  Isaac Newton I am not.

Same with writing.  I just mess with it so much.  How do you stop yourself from endlessly changing it?

NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • Deadlines work a charm on that problem!
    Hedda GablerNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • I think I have OCD or something.  I just can't let it go.  The urges.....

I did a test run of sending it with the doc thing to myself.  It looks good.  Held it's format.  clean, neat. 

Again, once I send it, I can't look at it again or I will just see everything I should've done.  
    NotaroKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • It can’t go in until the 5th!!  This does not help my f**kery. 
    BevVincentNotaroKurbenGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • It's always good to let a story sit for a spell. Wait until early July and then go back and take another last look at it before you submit.
    NotaroHedda GablerGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • It can’t go in until the 5th!!  This does not help my f**kery. 
    I'm sure its great, Deej! One thing about writing things is that if you look at it over and over without giving it a pause for a week or two is that you start to imagine faults that not exists and the changes you make might make it worse instead of better. At least i know i do.
    Hedda GablerNotaroGNTLGNTFlakeNoir
  • It's always good to let a story sit for a spell. Wait until early July and then go back and take another last look at it before you submit.
    Yes. I will listen to you. I will do this. 
    GNTLGNTNotaroFlakeNoir
  • edited June 2021
    Kurben said:
    It can’t go in until the 5th!!  This does not help my f**kery. 
    I'm sure its great, Deej! One thing about writing things is that if you look at it over and over without giving it a pause for a week or two is that you start to imagine faults that not exists and the changes you make might make it worse instead of better. At least i know i do.
    That’s exactly what i’ll do. I will leave it alone…after today. 🤗
    GNTLGNTNotaroKurbenFlakeNoir
  • ....I'm tickled you're getting a rein on your obsessive behaviors....
    Hedda GablerNotaroFlakeNoir
  • I hope so.
    GNTLGNTNotaroKurbenFlakeNoir