Welcome to my message board.

New member registration has been disabled due to heavy spammer activity. If you'd like to join the board, please email me at MaxDevore at hotmail dot com.

Billy Summers (August 3, 2021)

Comments

• ...see, I can't stand the first line of that review.....he hasn't done undiluted "horror" in decades....that label does him a disservice, as always....plus, it's not exactly his first trip into thriller land....."hard-boiled"?, I'll make up my own mind on that when the novel arrives...that's another term tossed about like a paper wad....
    Hedda GablerKurbenMarshaFlakeNoirNotarodoyoulove19cat
  • Inching closer
    FlakeNoirNotaroMarshaKurbenNeesyGNTLGNT
  • Short interview with SK about Billy Summers and The Stand by EW.

BevVincentNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarsha
  • The main SK site is now saying SK will have a reading of Billy Summers on YouTube, apparently at this page:

BevVincentNotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshadoyoulove19
  • edited July 2021

NotaroGNTLGNTHedda GablerFlakeNoirMarshadoyoulove19
  •  I'm not wedded to one particular genre. I don't even like that word, "genre"; I think it's a lazy word. 

....amen.....
    NotaroHedda GablerFlakeNoirKurbenMarshadoyoulove19
  • The computer apparently ate my post of this yesterday.  Stupid computers!

Here's the Booklist review:

One last job? Again? But, when even the fictional character embarking on that last job is aware he’s trapped in a trope, you know you’re in for something different. How different? King has multiple novels in play here—a thriller, at least two coming-of-age stories, and a knockout road novel—and he knits them together beautifully, never missing a stitch. Billy Summers is a former Marine sniper who, like Max Allan Collins’ Quarry, only hits bad guys; Billy wants out of the game, but he needs a stake. The job requires lead time, during which Billy poses as a writer and finds that he likes it; he’s good, too, as we find ourselves totally drawn into the tale of Billy’s dysfunctional family, his years in a juvenile detention home, and his experience during the Iraq War. That’s plenty, but there’s much more. Laying low after the hit (and after he realizes he’s been tabbed as a fall guy), Billy saves college student Alice, a rape victim, and the two hit the road, driving cross-country to Denver, where Billy gathers information from his former handler, a wonderfully realized, grandfatherly outlaw, and begins to track the bad guys behind the frame. More road trips follow, as Alice emerges as a scene-stealing heroine on her own coming-of-age journey. King has never been better than he is here at wrapping readers into a propulsive, many-tentacled narrative—complete with a perfectly orchestrated, moving ending.

This title has been recommended for young adult readers:

YA/General Interest: Not that teens need anyone to tell them to read King, but they'll be especially drawn to college-age Alice.

NotaroHedda GablerKurbenFlakeNoirGNTLGNTMarshacat
  • I've booked a copy! It will be sent to me. Cant wait!
    NotaroFlakeNoirHedda GablerGNTLGNTMarshaNeesycat
  • ....thanks Bev, appears as if I'll have to put the reading "brakes" on to avoid blistering through it, and instead enjoy both the actual and metaphorical journeys.....
    Hedda GablerBevVincentKurbenNotaroFlakeNoirMarshadoyoulove19cat
  • Good one. So excited for this to land. 
    GNTLGNTBevVincentNotaroFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • ...with my quirky sense of humor, it would have been hilarious if they gave him a sister "Donna" in his cover story....
    Hedda GablerKurbenNotaroFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • He does have a sister...
    Hedda GablerGNTLGNTKurbenNotaroFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • edited July 2021
    He does have a sister...
    .....hmmmmmm........she sing Disco?.....
    NotaroFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • I absolutely love love love when stephen reads his own work. I wish he’d read them all.

this audio was a bit of a bummer with the wind.
    GNTLGNTNeesyNotaroFlakeNoirMarshacat
  • Excellent review Bev, I'm going to try and get this one right away, perfect priming. Stephen, you picked a winner in Bev.
    Hedda GablerKurbenNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTBevVincentcat
  • I've ordered my ex. Got a mail saying it ought to arrive by post on the fourth. Cant wait.
    FlakeNoirHedda GablerNotaroMarshaGNTLGNTcat
  • My order has been put in, I'm very excited for this one.  
    NotaroBevVincentKurbenHedda GablerGNTLGNTcat
  • ..."sticky-uppy"..... :D
    FlakeNoirHedda Gablercat